4.0 out of 5 stars For London freaks everywhere

Published on 9 Nov 2010 by Rob Sawyer

4.0 out of 5 stars For London freaks everywhere, 1 Oct 2000
S. ALLMAN (Herefordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bleeding London (Paperback)
Bleeding London is the ultimate read for the London freak. Nicholson describes the enormousness and enormity of London with a mix of pleasure and disgust. Here we see the sadness, the gloom, the wit, the danger and the sheer weirdness of the city. The plot is mainly driven by a series of revenge visits on six yuppies, who may - or may not - have perpetrated an atrocity against a young woman. This is all interspersed with musings, historical tableaux, the art of sexual geography, and London's answer to walkabout: one character is walking the A-Z. Excellent stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing to be honest, 9 Nov 2010
Rob Sawyer (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bleeding London (Paperback)
I investigated this book because I read a quote from it in Mike Parker's Map Addict and thought it sounded interesting to say the least. The reviews on here seemed to support it (except one) so I bought it. Without spoiling the plot it's basically a story about three people whose lives cross because of their three separate 'missions' that they seek to achieve in the 'confines' of London.

It's an easy read but I didn't find it particularly amusing, certainly not laugh out loud. As the book reached its denouement I was thinking what it might be (correctly as it turns out) and how this could end up being such a great book. But in truth I found it a bit disappointing with a few unanswered questions (unless I missed something) which is not how I like a book to leave me feeling.

Still I am glad I read it and having commuted to London for a couple of years it did bring back some memories.

4.0 out of 5 stars London as a living, breathing beast., 26 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Bleeding London (Paperback)
Three stories are told in tandem, and eventually cross (ala Pulp Fiction) with predictably dire consequences. By far the most compelling idea in the book is that of a former London tour-guide's obsessive attempt to walk along every street on the A-Z, crossing them out as he goes along.
Bleeding London is packed with amusing insights into historical London. However, the best moments are the author's own observations about walks, conversations and obsessive behavior.
A little over-complicated, but certainly worthwhile read nonetheless.

4.0 out of 5 stars An engaging read of particular interest to modern Londoners, 7 April 2000
R. Irving (castle hedingham, essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bleeding London (Paperback)
This is the second Nicholson I've read, bought on the strength of the first. The structure of the novel is familiar enough, but well executed; a diverting look at the City that has been my home for nearly 30 years. There are moments of near 'Grand Guignol' but these are not gratuitous. I enjoyed it sufficiently to buy another 3 Nicholson novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bleeding London by Tracey Z Dawkins, 17 Mar 2001
This review is from: Bleeding London (Paperback)
Bleeding London, which has a combination of sex and violence with wit, will definitely make you laugh out loud.
It tells the story of three freaks in London. One is so determined to have sex in every part of London; one has decided to walk every street of the capital then kills himself; and the villain who is out for revenge against six yuppies, who (apparently) raped his stripper girlfriend.
If you get a chance to read this book, it will keep you hooked and begging for more and boy, you're in for a big surprise!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Really annoying, 8 Jan 2005
G. Stephens "Blah, blah, blah" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bleeding London (Paperback)
I really did not like this book. For once I actually predicted the supposed "twist" which is amazing because even I'll admit to being a bit slow on the uptake but this book just really annoyed me. I thought it was essentially pointless, the characters cross each other's paths in really cliched ways and the protagonist, although not entirely unsympathetic, is quite dull- even if he is on this supposedly 'crazy' rampage- Perhaps I am so critical of this book since I had to read it for class, and not as a random, easy read for a long flight- however I still think the book stinks. The idea was good, but it seems as though the author simply filled in action where the plot was thin- a good balance between language and plot, in my opinion, is essential. Nevertheless, the best thing about this book is that I got a great history of London from it-hence my one star rating- maybe Nicholson should write history books instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential read for any Londoner, 20 Oct 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Bleeding London (Paperback)
Though somewhat rooted in the eighties, this book brings the London we all know to life. With a liberal dose of sex and violence, Nicholson introduces the sort of characters we imagine we're looking at every day on the Tube and provides a new use for your A to Z.

ARRAY(0xa977efa8)

Bleeding London
Bleeding London by Geoff Nicholson (Paperback - 23 April 1998)
Used & New from: 0.01