5.0 out of 5 stars Immersive, 22 Jan 2014
D. Harris (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Twenty Trillion Leagues Under the Sea (Hardcover)
Adam Roberts seems to have been pretty busy over the past few months, publishing a book of short stories (the punningly titled Adam Robots) last year and with another book (BÍte) due later this. Yet this isn't by any means a slight book. Rather, it takes on one of those classics you've probably never read (I'll come clean, I hadn't), Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, bashes it up, speads out the bits again and creates a compelling (not to say mind bending) story.

The period is the 1950s. An experimental French nuclear sub is making her maiden voyage. On board, aside from the skeleton crew, are a couple of Indian nuclear specialists and an enigmatic observer (suspected of being a wartime collaborator).

Except, I think, it's not quite "our" 1950s. To me, the description of a 20th century nuclear sub seemed subtly off, almost as if it had been written by Verne himself, or HG Wells, or Conan Doyle, or one of the other late 19th/ early 20th century writers who imagined technology 50 years hence. There are other clues as well (like the reference to that celebrated British poet Joan Keats, or to the- here, as in our world - fictional Captain Nemo being Polish... or else Indian...) that suggest reality is rather up for grabs, or at the author's whim.

Whatever, the voyage goes wrong, of course, so that we have an adventure. "Plongeur" plunges deep into the Atlantic - and keeps going. To reveal where it ends up, how, or why, would be to spoil, and I won't, but I will say that Adams is at his best describing the fractiousness of the crew, as mutual suspicion, hidden agendas and even religious mania set them against each other. Their world becomes a microcosm of our own, with survival dependant on mutual understanding and cooperation, which seem to be in short supply.

The book is beautifully illustrated, in full page woodcut blocks by Mahendra Singh. They are eerie, atmospheric and very much add to the story, reinforcing points implied rather than stated in the text.

The one feature of the book that did detract (slightly) was the sheer amount of orientation needed to describe the action on the submarine itself. Plongeur is often tumbling through the water, or on her side, or at a steep angle, so ceilings become walls, or ladders floors, rather a lot. Without a plan of the vessel (and with all those gorgeous illustrations surely one could have been done) I found it hard, in places, to follow all this. Perhaps I just have poor spatial imagination...

Finally, a word about puns. Roberts is a great punner (look at his Twitter if you want examples of both magnificent and ghastly ones) and this book, in a sense, hinges on a pretty audacious pun. I think he carries it off, which is probably a testament to his imagination and the immersive nature of his writing (apart from all those up/ down/ sideways moments) - as well, of course, as the spooky illustrations. I can't think of any other author who could.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oddly Wonderful, 31 Jan 2014
This book can I think best be described as odd. Things start off in a reasonably conventional manner; a French submarine crew take a new automatic submersible on its maiden voyage. However, the further away they get from dry land the more surreal events become. As they travel deeper and deeper, way beyond all possible depths, they start to encounter stranger and stranger phenomena.

Led by the formidable Capitaine Adam Cloche, the crew of the Plongeur are an eclectic bunch of characters. Also along for the ride are a couple of Indian nuclear scientists and a government observer called Alain Lebret. Monsieur Lebret is particularly interesting; he’s got his own secret agenda that he’ll stop at nothing to accomplish.

The claustrophobic close quarters of the submarine, and their seemingly endless voyage into the abyss, begins to take its toll on everyone. They start to suffer all manner of differing traumas, some physical, others mental. Extreme paranoia and violent outbursts for some, while for others its religious mania and delusions.

Things end on a slightly ambiguous note but I rather suspect that’s the author’s intention. If you got a dozen people in a room and they all read this book there would more than likely be a dozen different interpretations of events. Roberts manages to touch upon everything from politics and religion to the quest for ultimate knowledge and multi-verse theory. I like that idea, that different readers will each take something different away from this book.

Dotted throughout the narrative there are a series of illustrations from the artist Mahendra Singh. Almost like medieval woodcuttings their style complements the text well and gives things the air of dark Cthulhu-esque fairytale. The images vividly capture some of the plots key moments; they’re a nice inclusion.

Unsurprisingly there are also a few cheeky references to the Jules Verne novel that Twenty Trillion Leagues pays dutiful homage too. No Kirk Douglas with a sea lion and an accordion from the Disney adaptation sadly, but I suppose you can’t have everything can you?

To sum up then – Adam Roberts writing is wonderfully odd, Mahendra Singh’s art is evocatively odd, and Twenty Trillion Leagues Under the Sea is entirely odd. The good news is that I’m a big fan of odd and I think I rather enjoyed reading it. I say think because there is always the distinct possibility that I am in fact still reading it. As I said things do get epically surreal. I may in fact never finish the book and if I do how will any of us ever really know? Lao-tzu is often quoted as having once said that “a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step“. To paraphrase this insightful bon mot I can only conclude that a journey of twenty trillion leagues begins with a nuclear submarine…and a sentient mind-controlling beard apparently.*

If you’re looking for some slightly trippy, thought provoking science fiction with a classic heritage I suggest that you could do a lot worse than giving this a go. Adam Roberts has successfully messed with my head I suggest you let him mess with your head too. A whale of a tale indeed.

* Told you it was surreal

4.0 out of 5 stars Masterly, 27 Jan 2014
You'll see some synopses of the set-up for this story, and you'll reckon you have a bearing on what's going on. That's fine - it makes the scientific acid trip all the more cosmic when it hits. This is no simple, nostalgic hommage to its illustrious predecessor, but an astonishing riff.

I've been reading a few by this author recently, and continue to be astounded by his range. What doesn't change is the breadth and depth of vision - characters dripping with personality, science of high quality, a dash of philosophy, action somehow rendered with pace while never neglecting the kind of high definition and quotidian details that make it all irresistibly real. I just don't understand how unconstrained his palette is - is he, in fact, a composite of several Adam Robertses, somehow swapping ideas across multiverses?

5.0 out of 5 stars bonkers, 15 Mar 2014
I am a fully committed fan of Adam Roberts so I expect to like everything he does. However, I have to say this is a very clever book. He imitates Jules Verne's writing style, characterisation and plot development with barely any deviation. The story itself is, of course - coming out of Mr. Robert's head, completely crackers so you really do have to suspend disbelief to the utmost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever and original, 17 Jun 2014
A very clever and original story. Whilst set on a nuclear submarine in the late 1950s it is written in the Jules Verne style complete with illustrations of various scenes (even in the kindle version). I

ts good in its own right. Its also good to have a sic-fi story which is not a) a dystopia, b) war with nasty aliens, c) poor orphan kid destined to save the the whole universe (yawn, yawn).

Twenty Trillion Leagues Under the Sea
Twenty Trillion Leagues Under the Sea by Adam Roberts (Hardcover - 16 Jan 2014)