Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 October 2014
A thought provoking and compelling reads. This is everything a reader of dystopian fiction is looking for. It includes a plausible future setting where the human existence has been degraded by a cruel and fascist ideology, well developed characters who are trying to cope is a society of brutality, and a love triangle whereby the basic need to love and be loved back is put in to question. The clever twist in the language used can be distracting but it only adds to Womacks portrait of a world under moral destruction.
on 14 April 2014
I'm trying to read out of my usual 'go to' authors and be a bit adventurous. I was really engaged by this account of Manhattan / the US sliding into chaos and how a young woman adapts very quickly to how things are becoming. This aspect of seeing a girl go from a naïve big sister to street-child is beautifully written. I would recommend this book alongside 'I Capture the Castle' as two original books about girls growing up at completely different ends of a spectrum.
on 2 November 2014
very dystopian. The only reason I marked down a star is because I found the writing style very difficult to read. African-American inner city slang can be hard to read for a European like myself and it hampered the flow of reading. By the time I got used to it I was also almost at the end of the book. The story itself is good though, very grim. Definitely a good read for anyone into "end of society as we know it sci-fi" fans.
on 17 April 2016
This was absolutely fantastic. The way Lola's language gradually changed from that of a well spoken upper middle class girl to street slang was so well written and showed the changes in her.

I've probably driven my husband mad by giving him a constant commentary of what's going on in this book, reading bits out to show how her language was changing, and then talking about what happened to her at the end!
on 4 November 2014
This book was so good, I couldn't stop thinking about it for ages. It got me started on reading a whole load of post-apocalyptic novels about the breakdown of society, although there's something unique about this one. The main character is so vulnerable and naive at the start of the book. I won't say more about the plot though, as I recommend you read it. Just get the tissues and anti-depressants ready...
on 2 January 2011
If I say this is the diary of a middle-school girl in a dystopian Manhattan, you are going to turn away. If you do, you will be missing one of the better science-fiction novels ever written. The catch is, if I describe the story, you'll miss the surprise as Lola, the central character, reacts to each change around her. It's beautifully structured and told, and the end takes a moment's thought to understand, as you have to figure out not who the Ultimate Bad Guys are, but why they are. Womack writes Lola's diary with just the right balance of naivety about the adult world (we never find out why we're in dystopia, but then children don't understand that stuff) and directness about the people she meets and what happens. The slang spoken by Iz, Weezie and Anne is as convincing as the slang spoken by the street kids in The Wire. How he writes at this quality and works as a publicist in publishing, I have no idea.
on 22 March 2014
Clever, slowly unveiled dystopian New York that creeps up on the reader through off-story events and the changing language of Lola, the narrator. Not cyberpunk, but not surprising that Womack is one of Gibson's favourite authors.
on 13 May 1999
I've been a fan of Womack since being bowled over by 'Ambient'. Womack normally dumps you right in the middle of his dystopias and lets you shift for yourself. In particular you have to deal with Womack's brilliantly imagined and wonderfully realised near-future speech patterns which he puts in the mouths of his characters. This might be off-putting to some readers but no-one should be put off Womack. This book is the perfect introduction leading you gently (well gradually) into Womack's vision. By turns it is funny, sad, satiric and chilling. by the end you will be ready for 'Ambient', 'Terraplane' and 'Heathern'. Lucky you.
on 29 October 2014
Beautifully crafted and perfectly paced, I couldn't put this down. This is a stark and harrowing tale that's so close to home it's probably the most disturbing book I've read - a bitter sweet pill. Read it!
on 23 March 2014
Some clever ideas but in the end I would put the the main character up against a wall. Definitely interesting though.