Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 13 July 2013
As always with Martin's work, the writing is flawless, almost liquid. There is no re-reading of sentences for lack of understanding, or the feeling that you're reading a story for two-year-olds (subject.verb.direct object.stop.reapeat). It's just beautiful in its simplicity and clarity.
A crystal ball through which this messy, drug and alcohol infused 60's era is looked upon not only by us, the readers, but by the strong minded, intelligent reporter (Sandy) who is our protagonist.
Although the plot isn't for everyone-rock band is brought back to life, so to speak, for another chance at the fame and fortune that they had in yesteryear.- it is appealing in the sense that it shows a before and after, a transformation.
The fact that one can remember a large amount of characters credits Martin's capability for description of people and their interactions. Yes the long scenes are a bit overbearing, but so was the music of the time, everything was done excessively.
Recommended for all those old hippies out there, or anyone wishing they were one.
on 17 June 2014
Good old George does a fabulous story here with Sandy Blair (a reporter/writer) who starts digging up what really happened to the 60's top heavy Band Nazgul during their infamous West Mesa gig where the lead singer (TIm Hobbins aka 'Hobbit) got his head blown off > expect some great twists and evocative writing in this novel interspersed with Martin's usual sexual wit and bravado. On the whole a great novel with awesome characters and detail, however I mainly thought the lack of more than one inherent storyline makes the twists less surprising and/or satisfactory + too quickly resolved. I recommend this to ALL readers of Game of Thrones and thriller reader's in general, as it showcases that George M. is not simply a master of fantasy but handles many genres well.
on 11 March 2013
The other reviews of this book amaze me. I have been a big fan of George RR Martin since the early '80's. I have read most of his books and short stories and most of them are excellent. I remember seeing this in a bookstore in the 80's and for some reason I didn't buy it. Then it disappeared and for years you couldn't get it. Well, a few years back I finally got a copy - and learned why it has been unavailable for so long. Of all Martins book's this is by far the worst. It is amateurishly written compared to his other books. What further amazes me is that people on here rate this higher than the wonderful Windhaven. Steer clear - there are many other great books by Martin. If you are coming from Game of Thrones, then try Tuf Voyaging; Windhaven; Sandkings; Dying of the Light; the flawed but good Fevre Dream; or the fantastic Wild Cards series (especially the early ones). Steer clear of this one though, or it may put you off him.
on 10 September 2015
This book is nothing like the song of fire and ice series which has made George R R Martin such a popular author recently and it's not intended to be. This is a story that stands on its own and if you were around in the 60/70s you will enjoy the throwbacks to the music from that era. It's well written and engaging at times but the characters are not as broad as a Song of Fire & Ice. I don't fully understand why this was given such a negative response from critics as I thought the book was decent and well worth a read.
on 19 August 2014
I bought this on the basis of the name. It just seemed to me to be a revisiting of the 1960s with a supernatural story thrown in. The supernatural story wasn't particularly innovative. Large chunks of the book seemed to have no purpose other than nostalgia. As I guessed, I wondered whether the characters he visits Bambi, Lark etc weren't people he knew from those days. I suppose the good thing is that he got lots better in his later books!
on 2 March 2014
If you're thinking of buying this on the strength of the amazing Game of Thrones saga, don't. You'd never believe it was written by the same author. I got bored reading it and only finished it because I hate not finishing a book. The best thing about it was the fact that it was written in the early 80s and it was interesting dipping a toe back into the world before mobile communications technology and the internet.
Give it a miss.
on 13 July 2013
I first came across George RR Martin via "Songs of ice and Fire" series of books which I enjoyed so much I thought I'd try his other writings. I'm glad I did. His story telling is excellent, his style easy to read and his characterisations are brilliant. I intend to read more of his stuff.

If you were into music in the sixties / seventies you will be sure to enjoy this book.
on 26 September 2014
I was initially intrigued by the idea of a rock and roll murder mystery. But this is ultimately a very silly book. There are far too many dream sequences (yawn) and I found it impossible to believe in a story if which legions of revolutionary people would follow such a stupid, rubbish band.
on 13 November 2014
Not a patch on the writing from the song of ice and fire titles. Some good moments but the descriptions were a bit dry and the characters were a bit unbelievable.
on 3 May 2013
Having worked my way through Game of Thrones i thought I would try something else. This is as good as I expected.