5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, highly complex, cyberpunk sci-fi
Published on 21 Sep 2006 by Semioticghost

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a page turner...lacking in pace and action
Published 13 months ago by D. Doyle

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, highly complex, cyberpunk sci-fi, 21 Sep 2006
This review is from: Synners (Paperback)
Pat Cadigan's "Synners" - excellent, highly complex, cyberpunk sci-fi by an author I now very much want to read more of. Perspective switches between different characters in different narratives and I'm sure I missed a lot by only reading this in bits interspersed with a lot of other things. Synners are those who take imagery from the brains of others and turn them into a consumable form through a new form of surgical cuber modules. The idea is similar to that I first saw in one of William Gibson's "Kings of Sleep", one of the short stories in the Burning chrome collection, or the performers with cybered creative skills in Joan D. Vinge's "Cat's Paw", but "Synners" takes the idea further, developing it into a complex plot with a sideline of studies in Self and Consciousness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unknown and unexpected cyberpunk jewel, 8 Nov 2012
Fernando Luis Sanchez Roldan (España (Spain)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Synners (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
I didn't know Pat Cadigan before I read some obscure reference in a post at The Verge about cyberpunk authors, and that got me wandering about some old and new (for me) writers and books in the net, and lastly to the amazon store. I can't recommend this book enough for all cyberpunk genre lovers. If you love Gibson earlier works this is a must, as this book will seem in some parts familiar but still quite different and completely enjoyable.
I don't like to mention the plot of the books as I think is best for the reader, so you won't have any comment about it in this review.
As I'm Spaniard, it's a pity that there's no spanish edition of this book for I would had gladly bought it as a gift for some of my friends who are not so fluent in english.
One of (if not) the best books I've read this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goddess of cyberpunk, 5 Sep 2002
This review is from: Synners (Paperback)
Synners - human synthesisers. Haven't you always wanted to be able to 'paint' music videos, straight from your mind? BE the music, BE the image. Just plug into your musician/band of choice, plug yourself into an output and wheeee!

Of course, when you can jack straight into someone's brain and pervert their sense of reality or steal the odd thought, things CAN get a bit rocky.

Synners is not an easy ride, but if you enjoy working hard at a book you'll LOVE it. From the first word you're dropped without warning into a possible future, just around the corner from here and now.

There's a great idiosyncratic cast, murder, machiavellian mystery, pathos, sex-drugs-&-rock n'roll, virtual reality, Artificial Intelligence, cybernetics... you name it. A fascinating plot woven by unusual, three-dimensional characters. Cadigan spins you up, down and sideways, but always with supreme control and elegance. A great wordsmith and a great story.

And if you think that's hard, try Mindplayers and Fools, too!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a page turner...lacking in pace and action, 11 Jun 2013
D. Doyle (Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Synners (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
I read this book some months ago and am only getting around to the review now. The disappointing aspect of this novel was the fact that it did not grip me in the way that good sci-fi does, whether high concept, action oriented or exploratory. From a style point of view, the book is centred on the music and media industry, with the main characters mostly involved with music. The problem with this was that it can be very hard to cogently present the feeling and effects of music, and in particular describe a music video, in text. Unfortunately, good chunks of the book are devoted to this. Also, to be honest, I still don't understand what 'synners' actually do.

The second aspect that was disappointing was the character relationships - I mean, who really cares about people who continue to invest in relationship with total wasters? There's unfortunately a good bit of that in the book as well, and as another reviewer pointed out, you simply don't care what happens to them. Also, the teen love interest plotline is laughable, but presented as a massive heartbreak when what it really is just a stupid infatuation by a girl with her head up her ass.

Too many of the characters are trying to be hip and cool, while other characters are supposedly hip and cool without trying. It says a lot about the book that I was rooting for the 'evil corporate executive' - I mean, at least he was trying to achieve something instead of moping around helplessly.

There are some interesting comparisons with Gibson's work, but that's it. You won't automatically like Synners if you loved Neuromancer, because Neuromancer was an action driven story. I didn't care for the dismissive lines in the books intro either in relation to that...

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical Pat Cadigan, 22 May 2014
Dense, difficult to navigate, but in Cadigan's distinctive style, good if you make the effort. Characters not as engaging as usual, I stopped reading about 80% through because I really didn't care. I like her short stories better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sucks so loud., 12 May 2013
The sample was way better than the rest. After working my way through 25% of the book, I still failed to detect what the point of this drivel was. Filled with characters I just failed to care about, all of them deserved the fate of the stoned monkeys they were portrayed as.

Synners (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Synners (S.F. MASTERWORKS) by Pat Cadigan (Paperback - 9 Aug 2012)