5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional storybuilding-a very class act.
I adore this author and have read everything she's written - I think she'd make a shopping list interesting - she's that good.

Published on 14 Sept. 2012 by KITTEN

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm....I was expecting more... and was disappointed.
Big fan of this author and her Guild Hunter series but was very disappointed with Jason's story.

Published on 26 Nov. 2012 by WYSIWYG42

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional storybuilding-a very class act., 14 Sept. 2012

This is the continuing story of the paranormal fantasy world based around existing cities and lands as we know them. Where archangels, angels, vampires and mortals co-exist within a structured hirearchy, the Archangels at the very top.

In my opinion you must read all of the books in order as the characters do cross over and each story so far has been really, really good. You MUST read Raphael's story 'Angel's Blood'as this sets the scene for the series and he is one seriously hot alpha male (fans herself, phew).

This is Jason's story, he is an angel and one of Archangel Raphael's cadre of 10. There is trouble in the lands of another archangel Neha and as Raphael's spymaster, Jason is sent to investigate and help Neha find the murderer of her imprisoned consort. To affiliate Jason with Neha so as he can be trusted within her courts he must be blood-tied to the Priness Mahiya who trusts no-one as her secrets have blighted her existance since birth.

Jason and Mahiya have to learn to trust one another to work together efficiently to achieve their own agendas although this ignites a passion that threatens them both.

As usual, the story and character building is so brilliantly executed that Nalini makes her work into a craft. The tension gradually rises as does the romance between the two leads. The love scenes are hot and you really end up rooting for Jason and Mahiya.

This author astounds me with her work, this series is so good, I also adore her other series of psy/changelings on which we are on the 10th book and every single book is a really good, top notch read.

These are books that I feel so happy to buy, I know my money will be well-spent and I won't regret the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars not my favourite of the series but good read, 17 Sept. 2012
I love the Guild Hunter series, and looked foward to Archangels Storm, I liked it but it wasn't my favourite of the series, it had a slower pace and the romance was a lot softer in this, I prefered Raphael and Dimitri's passion, Jason is very closed off due to his childhood and Neha is soft and sweet, so the two although make a sweet couple there is not much passion and fire, there is plenty of action in this book and the story is a good length so its a good read but for me I missed the hot sexy side to these books that this lacks a little, but I must say apart from it being great to see snipits of Raphael and Elana and a few short chapters of Dimitri and Honor the last chapter was pretty great and thats why I only dropped a star for this as I think it was a good read just missing a bit of romance for me but the last chapter that will bring a lump your throat for sure.

Jason is Raphael's spymaster, and has always lived life in the shadows he suffered a horrible loss as a child and closed off a big part of himself. Jason stays in the shadows and goes undercover to get the best information for Raphael the only person he trusts. While attending Dimitri's wedding he is told by one of his spies that the Archangel's Neha consort has been killed and her rage is shaking the world. Neha was already unstable and angry with Raphael after he killed her daughter in a previous book, Raphael and Jason are worried if she continues with the madness, millions of people will suffer. Jason offers Neha to find the killer and she agrees he can enter her lands, only if he binds himself to another of her bloodline, Princess Mahiya.
Mahiya and Jason team up to find the killer and Jason's heart begins to trust and feel again but its a slow process

Mahiya understands Jason's reluctance to being in a relationship and gives him space and time to trust his feelings again, I think this story needed to be told in this way as Jason has always been so separate from everyone throughout the other books but for me it was a good story with a lot of action and I didnt guess the killer till near the end but I personaly miss the fire these books always have next book is Raphael and Elana again and I love those two I think I would of liked this better as a short story as I did get a little board in the middle but still a big fan of the series and will be pre-ordering the next book when its released next year

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and refreshing, 4 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Archangel's Storm: A Guild Hunter Novel (Paperback)
It looks to me that with Nalini each book is a hit or miss. Archangels' Storm was lovely. Both Jason and Mahiya are gorgeous characters, and reading about their love story, their interactions is pure pleasure.

Neha is interesting and complex archangel, however the intrigue itself is easy to guess from the very beginning, so if you want to have some sort of mystery in this book, ti's not going to happen.

There are also updates on Raphael and Elena, and we find out what Dmitri and his new wife are up to. There is a tiny insight into Raphael's mother and Lijuan, a bit of Venom and Ilium. I have to admit I enjoy Lijuan - she is a villain in almost every book, and she is someone I can't quite understand yet, purely because she operates on her own strange logic.

Overall, there is plenty of beauty in Archangel's Storm: lush Indian landscapes, architecture and even wonderful clothes that Mahiya is wearing, but above all, Jason and Mahiya's relationship is mesmerising and poetic. It's definitely refreshing to read something like that once in a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nalini Singh - a class of her own, 20 Jan. 2014
Lana "LH" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
I would recommend every single of Nalini Singh books, she is an amazing writer who has such a way with words that I have only encountered with JR Ward's early Black Dagger Brotherhood novels. Go to the very beginning of the Archangel series, and pick up Psy-Changelling series, you won't be sorry!

4.0 out of 5 stars Guild Hunter Series - Book #5, 29 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Archangel's Storm: A Guild Hunter Novel (Paperback)
Recently I've been on a bit of a contemporary romance kick, so it was lovely to delve back into paranormal romance with one of my favourite authors and series. This is Jason's book.

Upon hearing the news of Eris' death, consort to the powerful Archangel Neha, Jason is brought in to find his murderer, but first he has to bind himself to Neha's niece. From this point, we see Jason unfold from dark and secretive to seductive and loving.

Jason is cold to begin with, not nastily so, just a bit distant from others, choosing to live a solitary life other than those who he works for. Princess Mahiya is tolerated by her aunt, Neha, being the love-child of her consort and her sister. Her existence is a constant reminder to Neha of the betrayal. Fearing that her aunt's patience with her would run out, Mahiya has been waiting for the right moment to escape. And she sees Jason as the angel to help her.

With not a lot of dialogue between them and no real instant attraction, I did find it difficult to understand how their feelings turned from polite tolerance due to the situation they were in, to love. Mahiya's heart "began to ache" before they had even got to know each other. This is a little too soon for me and so it was difficult to get on board with their romance.

However, Singh's prose is as beautiful as ever and a pleasure to read. Although I wasn't particularly enamoured with these two characters, I still enjoyed the book. There's a nice mystery to solve, a few chapters containing Raphael and Elena (my favourite couple in this series) and great pacing. There's also an epic battle scene that is just so well detailed I could have been there.

Archangel's Storm did get better with each chapter and I my love for Princess Mahiya and Jason increased towards the end of the book too. There's a great showdown at the end with twists and turns to keep you on your toes.

VERDICT

Archangel's Storm is not the strongest book of the series for me, but as with all of Singh's books it was still a great read. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in this series, Archangel's Legion, which is back to Raphael and Elena - yay! I give it 3.5/5 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guild Hunter book 5, 12 Jun. 2013
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
4.5 stars

When the archangel Neha's consort Eris is murdered her rage threatens to destroy the balance of power amongst the cadre of ten and if left unchecked thousands of innocent lives could be lost. Neha already has a grudge against Raphael which makes him and his territory a likely target for her rage. The one person that Raphael can send to try and gain Neha's trust and help her investigate the murder is his spymaster Jason. Jason is an expert at uncovering secrets and his unique abilities make him perfect for the job but the only way Neha will allow him into her territory is if he forms a blood bond with her niece Mahiya. The last thing Mahiya wants is to be tied to an enemy spy, especially when she has secrets of her own that are so dangerous her life would be forfeit if they are uncovered but she has no choice but to go along with Neha's wishes and she has her own reasons for wanting to uncover who is behind Eris's death. As Jason and Mahiya work together to uncover the truth they uncover a shocking betrayal that threatens to turn Mahiya's world upside down. Can she trust Jason to keep the promises he made to protect her or will he end up breaking her heart?

I'm a huge fan of the Guild Hunter series, I love Raphael and Elena but I've been dying to learn more about Raphael's Seven, the trusted angels and vampires who have had his back for centuries, ever since the first book so I'm really excited that they each seem to be getting their own book. Jason has intrigued me from the moment we met him, I knew he had to have some kind of darkness in his past and I was desperate to get to know his secrets. Although I was expecting him to have a tortured past I had no idea just how badly he had suffered, in fact reading about the things he had been through actually brought tears to my eyes which is a testament of just how invested I was in his story. My heart broke for the things he had seen as a child but I admire him for the strength of character he showed to survive with his sanity in tact.

I was a bit unsure how a romance could work between Jason and a member of another archangel's court, especially someone who is actually related to Neha, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I found myself liking Mahiya. For a lot of reasons that I'm not going to go into in this review (you'll have to read the book to find out what they are!), Mahiya has never been a favourite of Neha's. The only reason she was allowed to survive was as a punishment to her parents and Neha has taken great pains to keep Mahiya in her place at the bottom of the court hierarchy when by birth right she should be an important member of the family. Mahiya has been through so much that it would have been easy for her to become a bitter and hateful person but she is determined not to let Neha beat her. She knows that the only way she can win is to remain true to herself and she has shown incredible strength to manage that. She makes a worthy heroine for Jason and it doesn't take long for him to see that. They really are so well matched, Mahiya understands Jason on a level that nobody else ever has and she accepts what he can and can't offer her without hesitation. I don't think anyone will be disappointed by the sexy scenes between the two of them, Jason is one hot dominant angel who knows exactly what he wants and how to get it!

Alongside the mystery of who murdered Eris, which I have to admit I guessed in advance but not until fairly near the big reveal, Archangel's Storm also allows us to catch up with favourite characters we already know and love. I always eat up any scene between Raphael and Elena but some of the highlights in this book were the ones between Dmitri and Honor. I love how sweet Dmitri is with Honor, he is like a completely different vampire when he is with her but that doesn't make him any less scary as far as anyone else is concerned. Illium always steals any scene he appears in, I just adore Bluebell and I really hope he has his own book soon because I'd love to see him find a worthy heroine. My only disappointment with this series is that I'm now up to date which means I'll have to wait a whole year in between each new instalment - I foresee a lot of re-reading in my future to get my Guild Hunter fix. At least I still have the Psy-Changeling series to catch up on so that will keep me going for the next few weeks anyway. Nalini Singh is fast becoming one of my favourite authors, I haven't read anything of hers that I didn't love and I can't recommend her highly enough to paranormal romance fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars The spymaster in action, 12 Dec. 2012
C. Manning (London, UK) - See all my reviews
When the archangel Neha's consort is murdered in the jewel-studded palace that was his prison her rage threatens to destroy the world. Raphael lends her his spymaster Jason, but to earn Neha's trust he is forced to swear a blood oath with her niece Mahiya. Mahiya hides secrets so dangerous she doesn't trust anyone and is loathe to find herself tied to an enemy spymaster. But Eris's murderer isn't done yet and Mahiya and Jason must work together to prevent Neha's court becoming a bloodbath.

This is the fifth book in the Guild Hunter series (after Angels' Blood, Archangel's Kiss, Archangel's Consort and Archangel's Blade) and the narration switches to Jason, Raphael's midnight-winged spymaster, while the setting moves to Neha's court in India which gives a host of new characters to get to know.

The storyline is densely plotted with several big twists and turns that I didn't see coming. The writing is as descriptively lush as always, made more prominent by the gorgeous jewel studded palace. I was worried I'd struggle with the change of location but descriptions were delicately interwoven with the storyline to create a three dimensional world. The mystery of the killer soon leads Mahiya and Jason into the twisted political machinations of an Archangel's court and I was glued to the page throughout.

Jason has always been featured as dark and secretive, barely showing any expressions and playing his cards close to his chest so to see him thrust together with Mahiya who has secrets of her own was an interesting mix. Each has their backstories interwoven with the main mystery and I soon came to like Mahiya for managing to survive a brutual childhood and not become tainted by it. Their romance develops while honouring each character's background and it is interesting to see how they relate to each other.

There is a background story showing Honor and Dmitri's marriage and progressing relationship. As Jason's story is quite dark overall, these sections work as moments of lightness showing their love and dedication to one another clearly. Venom also plays a role when he comes to pay his respects to his creator Neha. I really like him as a character and I'm hoping he gets to narrate a story in the future.

All in all, this was a great read and I'm looking forward to the next book.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 49/50

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm....I was expecting more... and was disappointed., 26 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Archangel's Storm: A Guild Hunter Novel (Paperback)

For me, it didn't leave me hungering for more as all the other books did. If I'm honest, Jason and Mahiya bored me. I know Jason's story wasn't going to be the life and soul of a party because (from glimpses of him in other books) he hasn't been written like that. He’s secretive and dark and if anyone needed saving, Jason did.

This book doesn’t deliver and I welcomed the introduction of Venom and the continuation of Honor and Dmitri’s story although I would have liked to have more about Holly/Sorrow.

I read the other four books to death soon after finishing but tellingly, I only read this one once. Maybe I’ll pick it up again but it won’t be for a little while yet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 23 Aug. 2013
Miss V. Willcocks "No Life Queen" (Trowbridge, Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Ok but not great, to be honest is a bit slow going and doesn't really seem like it would have a happy ending, it sort of just gets pulled out of a hat in the last few pages.
I got part way through and felt like part of the story has been cut out, but they didn't amend the next part of the story to compensate for it, so i ended up being a bit lost partway through, but i carried on regardless.
To be honest i wasn't overly impressed with this book and wouldn't recommend it to any other Nalini Singh fans, to be honest I'd say you're not missing out on anything really major in my opinion if you miss this book out from yourcollection, to be honest i expected a lot better from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 18 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Archangel's Storm: A Guild Hunter Novel (Paperback)
Like all the other books in this series, it was brilliant. Can't wait for more.

If you like Angels and Vampires, then it's worth giving this series a try.

Archangel's Storm: A Guild Hunter Novel
Archangel's Storm: A Guild Hunter Novel by Nalini Singh (Paperback - 13 Sept. 2012)