5.0 out of 5 stars The Soddit
I bought the book but as I have reading problems,I needed the CD Audio Book "Oh Wow I laughed til I cried"!!! The CD brings the Characters to life and brings "So much Fun Into my Life"!!! Thank You A.R.R.R. Roberts for this Funny Story I totaly Enjoyed it.
Published on 12 Oct 2009 by Mrs. M. J. Lonergan

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been funnier
Published on 8 Dec 2005 by Christopher Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars The Soddit, 12 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Soddit (Audio CD)

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been funnier, 8 Dec 2005
Christopher Hall (North Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
Swapping names like "Bilbo Baggins" for "Bingo 'Sac' Grabbings", you'd expect A.R.R.R. Roberts' 'The Soddit' to be an enjoyable romp and an entertaining parody of Tolkien's classic novel. Instead, the author settles for mediocrity and offers the reader very little in the way of humour. Saying this though, 'The Soddit' wasn't a terrible read, but it was a disappointing one.

Loan it from your local library instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly funny, 13 Feb 2010
Charmed53444 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
If you have a great sense of humour and know the Lord of the Rings story, you will laugh at this. I couldn't stop laughing at it's stupidity. Brilliant writer. Great book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Should be 5* but has spelling mistakes, 9 April 2013
This review is from: The Soddit (Hardcover)
I love The Hobbit so thought i might find this book slightly insulting. However, my friend convinced me to borrow it and it was a brilliant story and very well written. It was so good I ordered myself a copy. Unfortunately, this particular copy doesn't have any illustrations but I imagine the characters looking how they look in Peter Jackson's film anyway. The only reason it's 4 stars instead of five is that there were several spelling mistakes throughout. I would recommend because even i can look past the spelling and I'm a bit of a Grammar Nazi.

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of time, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Soddit (Hardcover)
i don't often give up on a book, in fact this is the first. i battled through to halfway expecting that at some point i'd get into the spirit of it but after hours of determination trying to force myself to enjoy it i just got angry and slammed it shut.

if you want to read a book like the hobbit, read the hobbit. if you want to read a book like the hobbit which isn't the hobbit, read the hobbit anyway because you'll enjoy it more than this and you won't feel like someone has robbed you of a chunk of your life.

the jokes aren't funny, the page notes are annoying and i felt desperately sorry for the author who i presume thought he was being hilarious while he wrote it.

(excuse any grammatical errors, this book wasted enough of my time that i just wanted to have a quick rant but i will not be spending more time than necessary to ward off any other potential readers)

revision:

i felt a bit mean having said that, if the author ever stumbles across this review please don't take it to heart, just write something original instead and i'm sure you'll do us a favour and yourself justice

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Hobbit, 13 Sep 2009
Wow!! this book is soooo funny!!! I enjoyed it and could not put it down for laughing!!

If you enjoy the original or just want to read a spoof this is for you. Did you know that Wizards come from Dwarves?

If you come from Essex you may love the references to Lakeside etc. A really great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest book i've read in a long time!, 12 Dec 2003
I've just finished reading this fantastic book and I couldn't put it down, it's the funniest book I've read since, 'the hitchikers guide to the galaxy' It is a parody of J.R.R Tolkien's highly acclaimed book, 'The Hobbit'. It tells the story of Bingo Grabbins, accompanied by Gandef the wizard and a group of welshish Dwarfs. They are on the way to defeat the dragon Smug and steal his gold. Or so they say.
Along the way to the rather inaptly named Only Mountain, they meet some weird and wonderful characters and take part in the battle of the Famous Five.
Its a great book that'll make you laugh out loud until you find that everyone on the bus is looking at you. Reccomended for all.

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment., 13 Jan 2004
Ian Tapley "thefragrantwookiee" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
THE STORY:
A humble, and fairly stupid, soddit is whisked off on an adventure by a group of Welsh dwarfs, boyo, and Gandef the hard of hearing wizard. There travels will lead them into battles with Gobblins (mutant turkeys), through the Mykyurwood and finally to the Only Mountain. Well, obviously it's not the only mountain...
WHAT'S GOOD:
The author's notes at the bottom of the pages are a constant source of amusment, reassuring us of things like the fact that the sun didn't literally dance on the water, because that would mean fiery and agonising death for our heroes. The wittiest part of the book is actually in the back, where there are parodies of the adverts you get in a lot of books. In these ads, we get an early look at the adventures of Frodeo and Scram, who are just good friends, that's all. There's also an ad for the latest Soddit game for the PlayGameBoxCube 2, which follows in the merchandising tradition of games such as 'SimSoddit' and 'Metal Gear Soddit'. I thought some of the elements of these adverts were really scathing satirisations of the way in which Tolkien's books have become a merchandising frenzy. You can't enter a bookshop anymore without seeing some new 'Lord of the Rings and Me' cash-in by some unknown who hasn't had any success writing a proper book.
WHAT'S BAD:
Naturally, this book has to face comparison with 'Bored of the Rings' and, unfortunately, it doesn't come out too well from that comparison. Despite the fact that much of 'BotR's jokes were purile, it was still witty enough to tickle even the most mature reader, 'The Soddit' however, lacks this mixture of humour styles and, as such, fails to bring forth anywhere near as much mirth (in fact, I didn't laugh out loud until I was through the main body of the book and into the psuedo-ads in the back). I think Roberts' mistake was to try to write a good story, as well as a parody. Because of this, much of the book reads like a sub-standard version of 'The Hobbit' without any satire or parody and you end up feeling that you would've better spent your time just reading 'The Hobbit' itself.
Amusing, but not hilarious.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Soddit, 15 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Soddit (Hardcover)
I have purchased this book for a friend for Christmas. The book is nice, it has a lovely front cover and the book itself is pretty small. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Soddit, 24 May 2004
Laugh, I nearly wet myself and if like me you've also read J.R.Tolken's The Hobbit you'll also be rivited to its pages.
An absolute joy to read! Even the sad bits are hilarious and the last few pages are so well written that when this books finished all you want to do is start reading again. I did. And I can tell you that it was just as funny the second time around. I couldn't put this book down, I didn't want to put it down and I certainly cannot wait until someone produces a Block Buster out of this particular offering.

The Soddit
The Soddit by Adam Roberts (Hardcover - 20 Sep 2012)