5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly superb - a masterpiece that I urge you to read
Earth is in trouble, the centre (in a manner of speaking) of a solar system divided between the west and China. While China mines the resources of the asteroid belt and the more distant planets, the west colonises the closer planets. But when a new energy source is discovered on Mercury that permits interstellar travel the enormous opportunities that this grants to one...
Published 10 months ago by Kate

3.0 out of 5 stars A curate's egg
Baxter's having some fun here - and I think that he often does. The world-building is clever, and the alien "Builders" are obviously inspired by Theo Jansen's "Strandbeests". However, it is a bit of a muddle - he's got too many ideas and they tend to tear the novel apart. It may make more sense once the second novel of the pair is published. The main...
Published 10 months ago by Davidson

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Humans, 22 Sep 2013
M. Notman "northernfag" (sheffield uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Proxima (Hardcover)
There are themes covered here that will be familiar to anyone who has read Stephen Baxters previous work- a long time scale, multi-generational story arcs, humans plunging into the depths of space on a brutal and probably one way trip into the unknown. It also has his usual rather unpleasant collection of humans doing horrible things to everyone else, a very bleak view of humanitys failings and weaknesses.
What this also has is Baxters superb ability to spin a fascinating tale of great depth and imagination populated with very well drawn characters and interlocking stories that draw together to create a satisfying (if bleak) whole. A rewarding read from one of Sci-Fictions great stars, very glad i read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic start to a new sequence, 21 Sep 2013
This review is from: Proxima (Hardcover)
I didn't actually know this was a sequence until (a) I read the book and the ending calls out for more, and (2) I read the description here on Amazon, and that describes a series not really this book!

This is vintage Baxter, excellently plotted and generally hard science, bar the couple of MacGuffins that drive the plot. Many interesting characters, some fantastic science AND fiction and a great hook. Can't wait to see how it all pans out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Approximate Proxima ~ Book needs complete overhaul ~ lazy writing, 20 Nov 2013
Mike Fisher (Birmingham, West Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Proxima (Kindle Edition)
Baxter seems to have rushed this book out. I don't think the author is growing in skill with the years ~ he's churning out deeply unsatisfying, plodding reads which lack in humour, wit, irony. No sense of scale in time & space ~ the planetary & solar system scale set pieces at the end of the book should have been spectacular, but Baxter made them seem just a little *meh*.

He gets up to speed & then breaks the flow by flipping into nerd mode for a dozen pages now & then. Using character dialogue to explain the science/history is a really clunky device for poor, lazy writers.

The wheeled AI bot is the most interesting character & should have been developed more ~ the humans are all 2D & I don't care what happens to them in this book or the [presumed] sequel

It wasn't clear to me that it was part of a series when I bought it & so if I'd known the ending would leave so many plot lines unresolved I wouldn't have bought this one book

Learned my lesson ~ I'll stick to rereading the late lamented Iain M. Banks who understood how to play with the readers expectations in a light, humourous & often savage way.

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating stuff, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Proxima (Kindle Edition)
Great mix of science ideas with some chilling doom-laden social scenarios. Baxter has kept me entertained for an enjoyable week of train journeys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read., 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Proxima (Paperback)
I found a few surprises in there which I was not expecting. It is always nice to be surprised and there are certainly several unexpected twists and turns.

4.0 out of 5 stars Proxima, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Proxima (Kindle Edition)
Chose it because I like Stephen Baxter.
OK but not his best but OK will look for more by him

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not sure I bought the whole cold war stuff - spoliers, 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: Proxima (Hardcover)
This book reminded me a lot of sci fi in the 70s and 80's where it was assumed that we would all kill each other in a fiery death, this book also adds climate change to the mix. The only bit of the book I didn't really get was the terran war stuff, it just didnt seem very plausible, not well thought through or enacted. I also found it implausible about the way people where being treated - i.e sent offworld if they misbehave, without any sort of public outcry, maybe I just needed more history than we got.

That said, the rest of the book is absolutely top notch, great exploration of a possible alien culture (would have liked more on this because several times it seemed to go somewhere and then stopped), hopefully will be covered in the following books, personally could have kept the whole single chapter on planet consciousness as a reveal later, didnt need it, didnt use it anyway.

I think there are a lot of reveals coming, I hope so because many threads of the story where left floating about randomly by the end.

but, read in two nights so can't say I didn't love it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to his very best!, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: Proxima (Kindle Edition)
It's been a while since we have seen a space opera novel from Stephen Baxter and this was worth the wait. I'm not going to give away the story line, but I simply devoured this page after page. Good story, good plot twists and well written. I'm just hoping that this is the start of another great series of books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Baxter Back on form, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: Proxima (Kindle Edition)
I was slightly disappointed with The Long War Stephen Baxters recent collaboration with Terry Pratchett so I was pleased to see a new novel from him very quickly. Proxima spans mans colonisation of the Solar System and beyond to the third planet of our neighbouring star Proxima Centaurai. Character's include forced colonists, Artificial Intelligences and other beings like the mysterious Hatch Builders and the story switches from Proxima 3 to Mercury and Earth itself. Good characters and the plot moves along fairly quickly. If it's the first of a series I'll forward to the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary Powerful Story, 25 Sep 2013
rfn_williams (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Proxima (Kindle Edition)
I was overwhelmed by the power and scope of this work. The lives of people who are 'transported' to an extrasolar planet, who then have to live with minimal resources, are contrasted with the lives of people living ultrasophisticated and highly technological lives in the Solar System of the future. The discovery of an alien device adds an extra dimension to the story. However, rivalry between two power blocks leads to a war that has devastating consequences for the Solar System. Presumably, the human race can continue to survive through the inhabitants of the new planet and through any survivors on any vessel that escaped from the Solar System.

I would recommend this book to Baxter fans and SF buffs generally.

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

Proxima
Proxima by Stephen Baxter (Hardcover - 19 Sep 2013)
16.00