5.0 out of 5 stars Every bit as good as what went before...
I'm glad I found this book and read it before seeing some of the reviews here!

Published on 21 Oct 2006 by S. P. R. Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many words to tell a simple story.
The heroine is a manic depressent which is very irritating. Dwells to much on her depressed state instead of telling what coyuld be an interesting story. To compare this book with Tolkien is not good. Tolkien tells a very interesting coulorful tale which grips trhe reader. This book is bordering on the boring
Published 16 months ago by Rodders

5.0 out of 5 stars Every bit as good as what went before..., 21 Oct 2006
S. P. R. Harris (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm glad I found this book and read it before seeing some of the reviews here!

I avidly devoured the first two series years ago before passing the books on to my daughter (I bought the BIG trilogy copies), thus creating another lifelong fan. I was actually shopping for something else entirely when I spotted this one on the way to the checkout - instant swap and back to the car double quick time to make a start!

In my opinion the poor reviews here say more about those writing them than they do about Stephen Donaldson, in the same vein as people who no longer 'admit' to liking the same music they did when they were younger. It is no longer considered 'cool.' In this present age of instant gratification and five-second attention spans it is a relief to find something that HASN'T changed for the worse.

Of course this latest installment in the Thomas Covenant saga is similar to the others - it HAS to be; of course it is 'wordy' - it makes you THINK about what is being said; who CARES that one finds references unique to the Chronicles? - SD has created his own world (well, two of them actually...) so he can have exactly what he (and you the reader)wants in it...

Like many of those here I read this in just two days! Now I can't wait for the next installment. Neither can my daughter, a literary afficianado who knows EXACTLY what she likes and had some VERY strong opinions on the poor reviews here!

Just because you're twenty years older you don't HAVE to be a boring old fart, it's not compulsory you know! It's a relief to escape from the pressures of work, the mortgage, spouse, kids, dog and the Chelsea Tractor in the drive (put it away in the garage, no-one cares!) and revisit 'The Land' of your dreams and reacquaint yourself with old friends. Roll on the next installment...

5.0 out of 5 stars acquired taste, 22 Mar 2007
T. Lundberg "defconobiwan" (hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
I read the first book of the chronicles when I was 13, having found it in a second hand book shop. It had a huge, slightly disturbing impact on me. This was 23 years ago. Five years ago I stumbled across a secondhand bookshop that had all the books in and i snapped them up on a slightly nervous nostalgic whim. I was swept away. I read all 6 books straight through, now that's a lot of reading and I suffered withdrawal when I finished them. They are magnificent.

Personally i think the fiirst three are the best. The second trilogy gets a bit lost in what I feel is 70's dippyisms, but good nonetheless. Imagine my shock then when i stumbled across the new book in my local bookshop last year (in my mind mr donaldson had been long gone, a writer from another age) . I immediately bought it and devoured it and then scanned the internet for the next two, horrified to see that there was no confirmed release date. Until now. I can't wait. I think that the first book of the third series was a return to the grittier style of the first three and retains the integrity of the series entirely. I am 36 now and am excited like a little kid for the next one to come out and congratulate Mr Donaldson on lying low for so long. If you want to appreciate this boook fully, sorry, but get the previous, sigh, seven and read them, then read these. You will not regret it. (tip; second hand bookshops are chock full with them every where, but so is amazon). Though I am sure you could just read these new ones as the set up is slightly different.

If you enjoyed these and want to read something while you wait, search Asimovs Foundation series in amazon and read them. Equally enthralling for nuts like me who are not content with one book, but want to enter a whole new world. highly reccomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy!, 5 Aug 2006
A. Munro - See all my reviews
I have to start this review by saying that in my opinion, Stephen Donaldson books were never meant to be fast paced. You have to sit back, enjoy the ride and and devote time to his books. He has always been an author who has put a lot of effort into building character and sense of purpose. True, some readers may find the language somewhat tiring at times, but we have to see it from the pronagists point of view. In my opinion, if you can't be bothered with the language, don't read fantasy.

Sorry, for the rather long introduction, but sit back and enjoy Mr Donaldon's latest. Not only does he build on what has gone before he also questions what has gone before. No mean feat. Yes, the Land has changed, but how and why...?

I will leave that up to you to decide. But this is a must read for anyone with an interest in fantasy and the Land series. He seems to be continually building and enriching what has gone before. True, The Runes of the Earth may not be ground breaking in what has gone before, but as a precursor to what may or may not happen next then I think that he has excelled himself.

As you may have realised I have said nothing about the plot of the book but I do not want to spoil what I think is an excellent read. Just be prepared to spend a little bit of time on building character...

A must read for anyone who wants to devote the time and energy to enjoy it.........Americans need not apply!

5.0 out of 5 stars OK - it doesn't suit everyone, 28 Mar 2006
Mr. Robert Harrison "bobhrson" (Lytham St Annes) - See all my reviews
Having just read through the book for the first time - and I will come back to it to read it again soon, I am amazed that some reviewers give it a low rating. I can only surmise that the book (and probably the series) is not for them, just as I wouldn't enjoy a Western Cowboy book.
In my estimation Donaldson has excelled himself with this one. Yes, it's repetitious at times; yes, it's wordy; yes, it's thesaurus-demanding. But it is a fantastic tale (as a fantasy novel should be), full of facts about the Land and its occupants with a captivating story-line.
If you are a true 'Covenant' fan don't hesitate to go and get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book i've read for ages!, 19 Oct 2005
This book has a lot to live up to in my eyes.The 1st and 2nd series of thomas covenent are among my favourite books ever, Sitting proudly on my top shelf along with LOTR, the Silmarillion and the Saga of the Exiles by Julian May.I Remember saving up all my dinner money so i could buy them, a great way to lose some weight! so when i heard that Donaldson was writing a 3rd series i was very pleased.
You won't be dissapointed either, this is a great read.I hav'nt read a book in one go in a long time but when i picked this up i could'nt put it down.Donaldson has lost none of his style and the new characters will stand up against old favourites such as Foamfollower and Nom the Sandgorgon.Do yourself a favour, if you like EPIC fantasy on a grand scale then grab yourself a copy quick.And if you have'nt read the 1st&2nd series go out and get them too! now time to go back to some old favourites for me...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - he's done it again, 9 Nov 2005
If you were a fan of the previous Chronicles of Thomas Covenant this is more of the same. It is still very very wordy and at times you want to skip sentences to avoid some of the blah blah and get on with the story. However, after all these years and and a certain maturing of my tastes in literature, I still loved it and found it almost impossible to put down - the frustrating thing is that we know it will take AGES for the next one to be published, enjoy!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many words to tell a simple story., 2 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 17 Feb 2013
Typically wordy and fleshed out with pointless wittering. Doesnt feel as majestic as previous novels but the book revolves around the central characters rather than the Land and its features. That kind of writing always makes a world seem smaller somehow
You'll buy it because you'll want to know what happens, but as a stand alone novel it's average to good. Dont believe the 5 star reviews. Then again it's not worth missing it!

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as I hoped, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Runes Of The Earth: The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (Last Chronicles/Thomas Covenan) (Paperback)
I've read the first two Thomas Covenant series twice, and would give all 6 books a five-star rating. So, I couldn't wait to start the third series - and I haven't been disappointed. It's not quite at the same level as what has gone before, and it feels as though there is some padding, but it has a cracking story line and introduces new ideas and characters. For those who complain of Donaldson's sprawling style (why say something in two words when you can use twenty) and use of unusual words, well you knew what to expect, since this is his style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Jesus Himself....Mr Stephen Donaldson, 22 May 2011
The depth of Donaldson's writing is something to be admired, no one can make the reader feel like your the character like donaldson can, the first 3 books were epic in scale, and when thomas arrived in the land, you were with him every step of the way, I was 14 yrs old when I first read the books, and felt every scrape, injury and torment that thomas endured, very few writers have that ability to engross and captivate thier reader, although it can take a lot of words to do so, each of Donaldson;s books average out at over 500 pages each, so in the whole series, he has written over 4,500 pages, okay, Donaldson can drift here and there, but every thread and plot has a specific reason, and overall the series must go down as The Best Fantasy Series of All Time.

As for the subjects covered within the books, you feel that there is a lot of donaldson within Thomas Covenant, this lends the main character weight, and every facet of thomas's soul is examined through the main quest in all 9 books, we get to know thomas better than any character ever created in print, and its this examination of thomas that is captivating and special, Donaldson sets up the plot's to slowly unwind around thomas and his special relationship to "the land", we are educated in minute detail about the history and culture of the land, and its credit to donaldson for creating a well fleshed out and believable alternative reality, and the way this is achieved is truly astonishing and breathtaking in scale, almost every time thomas enters "the land", he is injured and knocked out in "our reality", which makes the reader suspend doubts about how "real" the "the land" is, its an astonishing way to write, and not many fantasy writers can pull tricks like that.

If your going to read Mr donaldsons's finely crafted epic, choose somewhere quiet, and be prepared to enjoy this writer's lifetime's work, 9 books of sheer magic.

5/5