5.0 out of 5 stars The vampire and the hunter
Published on 12 Dec. 2012 by C. Manning

3.0 out of 5 stars A flight on the dark side
I feel very torn about this book. On the one hand I love the author's writing style and the relationship between the the leads is beautiful and pulls you right in. I won't dwell on this aspect as it has been well reviewed by the others and I agree with what they say for the most part.

Despite this, I can only give the book 3 stars. All of the archangel books...
Published on 27 Sept. 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A flight on the dark side, 27 Sept. 2011

Despite this, I can only give the book 3 stars. All of the archangel books have had a level of violence (as do the psy/ changeling books to a lesser extent) but this book really ramped it up, and at times I found it hard to read. This suprised me because I often read violent crime or horror books, but I think it was the way the violence was justified and essentially permitted. I accept that in this fictional world there is some need for the brutal behaviour of the male leads, but in the previous books Elena thought about these issues more, giving me a 'way in'. I appreciate that Dmitri had a hard time but I found him quite repulsive on occasion and this is not made okay by some loyalty to a friend and being unwilling to hurt children. There does have to be something about suspending belief when you read, but if you ever met Dmitri, or were on the wrong end of him, I doubt that romance would be on your mind. Perhaps all of this lends more of a realism to a genre which often skims over unpleasant aspects, but for me it was too much with no meaningful acknowlegement this behaviour is morally questionable. Honor seems to make much of the fact that Dmitri would never harm her, but there are passages that suggest that he has been involved in sexual situations with unwilling partners, which I would find impossible to accept in a partner (which is a shame as I was fascinated by Dmitri from the get go!).

I'm aware that many will disagree with my concerns, but this bothered me significantly and I wanted to highlight it for others who may have similar reservations.

5.0 out of 5 stars The vampire and the hunter, 12 Dec. 2012
C. Manning (London, UK) - See all my reviews
When the tattooed severed head of a nascent vampire is discovered, the case should have been passed directly to the Guild but Dmitri has an ominious sense of familiarity. In his long life as a vampire, Dmitri has seen many things and his search for the truth of the killing leads him to work alongside Guild Hunter Honor. But while Honor is a competent Hunter, she has just survived a brutual imprisonment by vampires and the last thing she wants is to be forced to work with one...especially one as powerful as Dmitri.

This is the fourth book in Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series (after Angels' Blood, Archangel's Kiss and Archangel's Consort) and is the first to move away from Elena and Raphael as lead characters. Instead the book focuses on Dmitri who has been a supporting character from the start and introduces a new Guild Hunter named Honor. Elena, Raphael and all the other characters I've come to love are still featured despite the narration change.

The book is tightly plotted with dual storylines running together. The investigation into the severed head leads us into Dmitri's past while a concurrent investigation tracks down the vampires who abducted Honor. There is a fair amount of tension and some scenes manage to be deeply creepy which makes for compelling reading. The romance takes a backseat to the character's healing from their pasts, which works well both for the storyline and overall development of the characters.

Dmitri has been a favourite character of mine since the beginning of the series. He's always been portrayed as arrogant and controlling so it was fascinating to see why he is that way. He has lived a long existence but never recovered from the events surrounding his turning, leading him to become darker and more deadly. However, when he meets Honor he begins to change and it is fascinating to see how he develops.

I found Honor to be incredibly well written and the way in which she gradually deals with the horrors of her past feels believable. She is very different to Elena as while Elena is physically very strong and confident from the first page, Honor is broken and delicate yet holds herself together with an extreme level of self-control.

Holly (a survivor of Uram's rampage in the first book) and Venom both stand out as supporting characters with Holly's recovery being aided by Honor and Venom showing a slightly softer side. Interestingly the book steps back from the global changes in the previous installment to tell a tighter, more character focused story and this was a refreshing change.

All in all, this was a great read and I'm looking forward to Archangel's Storm.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 8/10

Overall: 48/50

3.0 out of 5 stars schusz, 14 Dec. 2011
I've read three previous guild hunter books and thought they were excellent. I was very exited about fourth book knowing it's about Dmitri who was my fav character. But I must say the book is truly dissapointing. I thought the story was rather weak and it took quite a long time comparing to other books to finish it. Somehow I didn't recognise Dmitri in this book, I know that he couldn't possibly stay as that cold,sexi,demanding, cruell, down to earth man cause it would be raher hard to fit romanse in it but there was nothing left from his personality in this book, especially in later chapters, he was so not like himself anymore, totally forgettable. His story was heartbreaking but i have a really hard time beliving he would be mourning his wife for nearly 1000 years, whatever happened. Nalini did a great job with Raphael who is cold, hard and dominating on one hand but has a soft spot for Elena on the other, it didn't work with Dmitri thought. Actually I prefer to remember Dmitri as this sexy, interesting, old vampire as he was in previous books. I didn't really like his story with Honor that much, and I knew it will be hard one to get right. Honor was a very plain character, Dimitri would just crashed her in the real life I suppose, she was likeable, but no way fitting girl for Dmitri.It somehow didn't feel right. And the sex scenes........more than dissapointing, what about that honey all over the place??? Because it's Dmitri I thought the sex will blow me away but actually it was boring and again it didn't feel like it's Dmitri, vampire with hundreds of years experience. I gave it 3 stars because overall it wasn't totally awfull, but certainly the weakest book in the series, and it's a real shame about Dmitri becoming this rather forgettable creature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dmitri and Honor's journey is one of sheer perfection!, 8 Sept. 2011
With each story Nalini Singh has always managed to sweep me away into another world and make me fall in love with her characters. But then there are those rare stories which just takes the reading experience to a whole other level. Archangel's Blade is sheer perfection where every story element comes together and blows my emotions out of this stratosphere! There wasn't a moment my attention faltered or where I felt a tinge of disappointment because plot or character development didn't work for me. The intrinsically layered story allowed the characters to soar in their journey where rip-roaring action and soul claiming passion ruled. I was encompassed by Dmitri and Honor's trials and tribulations from page one!

Dmitri is dark, unforgiving, arrogant, he is brutal and has strength to match it, and Nalini Singh keeps him that way. He is called Raphael's blade for a reason. I would almost call him an anti-hero but his backstory just sucker punched me. It doesn't make Dmitri all of a sudden a goody-two-shoe but it deepens his persona in a profound way. He is complexity to the nth degree and is a challenge no woman can ignore! Complex men don't make for easy loving and Honor is about to find out how true this is.

Honor is a blend of fierce temperament, courage and vulnerability. She had to overcome a vicious attack and is now taking back the reigns of her life. Honor is the kind of character who can completely take me in to the moment and let me feel her fear, her potent fury, her passion and her strength. She shows Dmitri her own claws even as she feels the fear. She owns her sensuality again even as Dmitri challenges her boundaries in this. Everything about Honor spoke to me.

A huge part of the appeal in Archangel's Blade is the interaction between Dmitri and Honor. Nalini Singh lets the exquisite sexual tension seep through in to the dialogues, the body chemistry and ultimately, the passion, which sets the pages ablaze! Watching that attraction evolve in to something so much deeper, essential and intense was quite the emotional roller coaster ride. The mystery brought external as well as internal struggles for Dmitri and Honor to deal with. It fused the plot and romance together to a point where it heightened the overall impact of the story. Early on there were small slivers of thoughts or feelings which made me connect certain dots and wonder about a possible plot twist Nalini Singh might have in store for us. My hunch gained more certainty as the story progressed and it drove home to an ending that had me in tears.

Next to Dmitri and Honor dealing with the mysteries and their sizzle and burn attraction there were a few other characters who I loved getting to know more. Sorrow for instance is a character with an acerbic tongue whom I liked on the spot. Venom , Illium, Jason, Raphael and Elena. They enlivened the dialogues even more with banter, humor or flat out arrogance or authority. They are larger-than-life personalities not of this world and they mesmerizes me. With each novel in the Guild-Hunter series I just fall more deeper for the core cast. It is something I love Nalini Singh for! She is able to put together such a memorable cast of characters and set them in a world you can't help but want to go back to the moment you've finished a story.

While Archangel's Blade absolutely wow-ed me it is partly because the writing voice of this author just makes me live and feel it all!

A sample of Nalini Singh's lyrical writing;

She'd taste of salt and wildflowers, intermingled with an earthy femininity that sang a siren song to the man beneath the civilized surface.

Or

The tenderness of the moment destroyed him, singing to parts of him he'd thought long dead.

This is the kind of lyrical writing which bursts in to vivid imagery in my mind's eye or conveys the intensity of each emotion felt by the characters. This is writing where I have no hardships, at all, to connect to the characters. This is writing which plays my heart strings like a symphony and leaves me baffled by the end.

Dmitri and Honor's journey is one of sheer perfection where everything comes together and blew me away! Archangel's Blade is unequivocally one of Nalini Singh's bests stories to date!

4.0 out of 5 stars Guild Hunter book 4, 2 Jun. 2013
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Archangel's Blade: The Guild Hunter Series (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of the Guild Hunter series but I'll admit I was a little nervous about reading Archangel's Blade. This is the first story that doesn't focus on Raphael and Elena and I was a worried that I wouldn't enjoy it as much - especially since I've never been the biggest fan of Dmitri. I'll admit he had grown on me a bit since the first book but he has always come across as so cold and I wasn't sure how I'd like him as the hero. I should have know that Nalini Singh wouldn't disappoint me though and as much as I still find him quite a scary character and definitely someone you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of I had fallen head over heels for him by the end of this book.

Dmitri is the kind of guy who takes what he wants and makes no apology for it, he is all hard edges and arrogance - definitely not your typical hero. There is a reason that Raphael trusts him to lead his seven and it's because he has the ruthlessness needed to make even the older and most dangerous vampires and angels fear him. No, Dmitri isn't the kind of guy you'd want to cross but he is exactly the kind of guy you'd want on your side in a fight. What I loved most was seeing into his past and getting to know the human Dmitri used to be, he didn't choose to be turned into a vampire and the way it happened and the things he lost are what turned him into the man we know today. 1,000 years ago you would have met a totally different person, that Dmitri was sweet, romantic and head over heels in love with his wife and family. My heart absolutely broke for everything he had been through and it was no wonder he had closed off his heart so that he wouldn't have to go through that kind of pain ever again.

Although Honor doesn't magically change Dmitri back into the man he once was she does get to see a side to him that nobody else does and it was no wonder that she was unable to resist him. Honor is a guild hunter who went through a horrific experience when she was captured by a group of vampires and remained their prisoner for 2 months before the guild was able to track her down and rescue her. Her experience has left her wary of people and turned her into a shell of the hunter that she used to be. Thankfully guild director Sara is on hand to give her the kick that she needs and force her to face the world again but it is Dmitri who really helps build her confidence back up. He never treats her as if she is weak and breakable, although he understands that it would be easy to chase her away from him and he is careful in his seduction he respects her skill as a hunter and he is determined to give her her freedom by helping her track down the vampires responsible for what happened to her. The closure she gets from her revenge helps her move forward in her life. The chemistry between them was incredible from the first moment they meet but it takes time for Honor to trust both Dmitri and herself and give in to the connection she feels which made things much more believable considering everything she has been through.

I wasn't too sure what to make of events at the end of the book at first. I wasn't sure if I liked the way things played out (I know I'm being extremely vague here but I can't say too much without giving spoilers) and to begin with I felt a little disappointed. After taking some time to think about it I have to say that the ending made a lot of sense and I don't think the story would have worked as well if it had ended differently. My main reason for giving this story 4 stars rather than 5 was that for a lot of the time I felt more invested in Dmitri's past relationship with his wife Ingrede than I was in his current relationship with Honor. I know there were reasons for that and I was happy with the outcome but it was something that bothered me slightly while I was reading. Archangel's Blade is still a fabulous instalment to the Guild Hunter series though, it has everything I love about Nalini Singh's stories, a sexy dominant hero, a heroine strong enough to stand up to him when she needs to, hot sex scenes that will make you feel weak at the knees and plenty of appearances from some of our favourite Guild Hunter characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Spoilt it abit, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Archangel's Blade: The Guild Hunter Series (Paperback)
The first three Guild Hunter books are fantastic. I was obsessed with the characters and every thing they did. Brilliantly written, I felt like I was apart of their world.

I was already wary about this book when I found out that it wasn't about Elena and Raphael - I still feel that their story isn't completely finished with and would like to know more about their lives. Unfortunately I didn't get that with this book. This book is about Dmitri. Dmitri is considered the scariest vamp in Raphael's territory and is Raphael's second in command and I was quite happy thinking he was this scary sexy monster of an almost-immortal but no, this book gave him a softer back story and a heart. It sort of ruined the other books for me. This was a man I had actual nightmares about and now suddenly I felt sympathetic towards him. I won't be able to read any other books with him in now without remembering his past and his loves and losses, sometimes a character doesn't need a back story and I was disappointed Dmitri ended up with one.

Apart from that, the writing as usual was fantastic. The plot was okay, the ending did make me cry once I'd gotten over the fact that Dmitri wasn't who I imagined him to be. I found this book to be less action packed than the others but it's an okay read none-the-less.

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprising change to series., 11 April 2012
This review is from: Archangel's Blade: The Guild Hunter Series (Paperback)
I had presumed that this book would follow Raphael and Elena's story - but instead it focus on Raphael's second in command Dimtri. I wasn't sure at first if i was going to like this change, but i really enjoyed it. It was intresting to see the rule of Raphael from another point of view, but my only complaint was that the two central characters of Dimtri and Honor didn't interact with as many of the 'regular' characters - they were quite a isolated pair. But both Dimtri and Honor's personal stories kept you gripped throughout the book, and it was intreging to know how Dimtri became second to Raphael and why he was quite a hard character. The story gave a good mix of mystery alongside romance, as Dimtri helped Honor seek revenge for past misdeeds and the final showdown was worth waiting for. It will be good to hopefully see both of these characters in the next books in the series. And it was a nice break to learn more about other people in Raphaels world, rather than having the constant focus on Raphael and Elena. I don't know where the series is heading next but we got to learn more about Holly - the girl Elena rescused from Urim, and there are hints of what is going on with Raphael's mother, so im betting the next book will be just as good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story line, 3 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Archangel's Blade: The Guild Hunter Series (Paperback)
Dmitri is one of my favourite character in this series and it was nice to read his story. What surfaced from his past in relation to his attraction to Honor in the present time is very well written.

Although it was nice to read his story, I hope what transpires in this book doesn't change his personality in the series.

Another great read.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing to say the least, 12 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Archangel's Blade: The Guild Hunter Series (Paperback)
i really, really wanted to like this because unlike the other people who reviewed this book, i read the guild hunter series and loved it. However the matter of fact is that i dont like it. I dont the storyline or the plot. it only got 2 because the style of writing was undeniably good and the end wasnt as bad as predicted. When i heard that the next book in this series was going to the about dimitri, i wasnt pleased and this book has underwhelmed me even more. First of all, i like Dimitri, not as much as Raphael but well enough but he was the ice-cold, sexy yet dangerous man, not the soft, whinging, pathetic excuse he was potrayed as in the book. His affections seemed forced and predictable. There was no real emotions thai could e discerned and to be honest, in real life, 2 broken people dont merge together. And honor, was a self-pitying, pathetic character. she is no heroine, defo, no1 i would aspire to. their relationship was awkward, they just got together, and after meeting her for the first time, he had already planned to kill those who hurt her even though he doesnt know her. this is dimitri? the supposingly cold right hand of the most powerful man in north america. pleeaseee! it's shocking. the plot was so predictable and what annoyed me the most was that for most of the book, the way it was portrayed was that any guild hunter who got assigned the job and was broken would have fallen in love with dimitri. thats poor. to me, honor was just a random character, she didnt have any special talent like elena, and she doesnt have elena's strenght. a person like her, in real life, would have completely been overshadowed by the raw power of dimiti so their relationhip would never work.

also, the only real indication of dimitri's feeling towards her was when he told raphael that if he touched her, he would kill him. like he could! And that was so random. I liked the ending and i also hate it. i liked it because it make the story make a little more sense that it originally did but i also hated it becausae it was so predictable and to be honest, a bunch of crap. i know that this series is supposed to be fantasy and paranormal romance but that was pushing the boat a bit, eh? i was so disappointed and angry. i hope nalini singh gets her act together for the next book because she is an amazing writer but archangel's blade was crap.bring back elena and raphael! or illuim!

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheese, 4 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Archangel's Blade: The Guild Hunter Series (Paperback)
I might as well start off by saying that I absolutely love Nalini Singh, especially the Psy-Changeling series. I started picking up the guild hunter series on a whim, and I found them pretty descent entertainment. The guild hunter world has really interesting ideas, some fascinating characters and Nalini Singhs writing and development of relationships is always good.

Having said that, I've always felt that The Guild Hunter series was somewhat cheesy and predictable, using stereotypes and having a number of characters that are little more than fan-service, to the point where I feel like I am being forced to like certain characters because they are "mysterious" and "cool". I've personally always felt that this was Nalini's secondary series, and I honestly think it shows in the quality of the books and their plots. They are FAR weaker than the Psy-Changeling series.

Having said all that, the guild hunter series has many good points and has been entertaining. Until this book.
"Archangel's Blade" is by far Nalini's WORST book published since 2005. Nalini's writing is still awesome, the Guild Hunter world is still interesting and shows great potential, but that's about it on the positive side. This story is predictable and cheesy, the plots and characters come off as unimaginative, repetitive and, well, dull. Everything in this story was sooo convenient (especially the ending between Honor and Dmitri) and I had a number of problems with the book.

Firstly, Honor as a character was dreadful. I absolutely hate the fact that Honor is the stereotypical tortured female lead with a Xena - The Warrior Princess syndrome. Throughout the book, Honor continuously shows she lacks the ability to communicate with others without the use of swearing, violence and generally acting like a stereotypical emo-kid. She is supposed to be a strong independent woman learning to overcome her horrible past, but comes off completely flat. NOTHING she does is new, and in fact, she resembles an Elena-rip-off (and Elena was never Nalini's strongest character). I honestly felt that Honor's tortured past was more due to lazy writing than because Nalini had anything new or interesting to use it for as a plot or character device. The plots had potential, but never felt developed and I was left with underdeveloped characters and obnoxious side characters from the previous books.

Which brings me to the male lead, Dmitri, who was not the character introduced in the previous books. Instead we got the cheesy and utterly predictable I-lost-my-wife-and-kids-background story complete with more torture and emoness. I'll honestly admit that I personally HATE the dead-wife/girlfriend-syndrome, even when well executed, and especially in any kind of romance story. The whole "I am attracted to this woman, but whatever she does, she can never live up to my perfect, dead wife/girlfriend"-thing is just soo dull and unimaginative, and again, bad in romance books. In the previous books, Dmitri came off as a genuinely dark, cold and utterly pragmatic character, in this, he was forgettable at best.

I knew I was going to hate this book as soon as I reached the Sorrow plotline in the book. I know I am being repetitive here, but Sorrow as a character and the obvious plot being developed around her was cheesy and predictable and toe-cringingly bad. It seems like Nalini is trying to go with more angsty and tortured characters, like in Ward's "Black Dagger Brotherhood", but falls short. The Guild Hunter world is obviously meant to be a dark and almost dystopian world, where humans are at the bottom of the food chain and are helpless victims of the Angels and Vampires, but honestly, this series never reaches a level of emotional depth and intensity to pull it off. And it really, really pains me that Sorrow obviously will get her own book/novella at some point, and considering how interesting her character could have been, it hurts even more.

All in all, this book is not the worst book in the genre, but it is far, FAR weaker than all of Nalini's other books. The issues I have with this book are based both on personal issues with it but also on relatively objective analysis. The plots and characters are weak (especially compared to what the author can do and has done previously), the romance is not particularly outstanding, and everything in this book is seen before (and better done) in Nalini's previous books. I am only giving this book two stars because of Nalini Singh's skills as a writer.

Archangel's Blade: The Guild Hunter Series
Archangel's Blade: The Guild Hunter Series by Nalini Singh (Paperback - 8 Sept. 2011)