5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Really happy with this buy, just the book I was after.
Published 1 month ago by Emma Botarelli

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, really
Published on 10 Aug 2012 by Seren Ade

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, really, 10 Aug 2012
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
'Biting Cold', book 6 in Chloe Neill's 'Chicagoland Vampires' series, picks up immediately where Book 5 Drink Deep: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (CHICAGOLAND VAMPIRES SERIES) left off. The set-up suggested that we were going to have a change of pace, in the form of a road trip - as well as some alone time for Merit and the newly-resurrected Ethan. I looked forward to this... after the slightly disappointing 'Drink Deep', I was anticipating a bit of time away from the ins and outs of Cadogan House; some relationship-solidifying together-time for Merit and Ethan; to say nothing of the possibility for a shown-down in the ongoing story arc surrounding Mallory's black magic addiction.

Instead, for me it all wound up being a bit of a damp squib. It's not by any means bad - Chloe Neill's style of writing is typically engaging - but it's not as good as some of the earlier entries in the series.

Certain plotlines just seemed to fizzle out altogether or to be overlooked. There's no Red Guard involvement at all. The road trip section is abruptly curtailed - leaving us back facing the ins and outs of vampire House politics. Where Cadogan is once again under investigation by the Greenwich Presidium. And so much for a joyous reunion between Ethan and Merit - whose relationship stutters for really quite contrived reasons throughout most of the book.

This isn't to say that there aren't opportunities for significant story progression in the next book: towards the end, there are a couple of potentially game-changing events...

For me, 3.5/5 (it does irk me that Amazon call anything below 4 stars 'unfavourable': I'm rating it better than average! It's enjoyable, but not the best from this author)

Book 7 House Rules: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (CHICAGOLAND VAMPIRES SERIES) is due out in February 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Biting Cold: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (Chicagoland Vampires Series) (Paperback)
Really happy with this buy, just the book I was after.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 15 Mar 2014
Ms J. P. Squire "Triquetra Babe" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
a fantastic book in the series, I have the whole series & am an avid collector/ reader, I will continue to read these as long as I have eyes in my head!

4.0 out of 5 stars Chicagoland Vampires book 6, 5 Jan 2014
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Before reading this review please bare in mind that it is practically impossible to review this book without giving a major spoiler for the previous ones (Hard Bitten and Drink Deep in particular) so while this review won't contain spoilers for Biting Cold you may not want to carry on reading if you're not at this point in the series. Having said that I would like to encourage you to give the series a try if you haven't already, it's one of my favourites and I loved jumping back into Merit's world! Look away now if you want to avoid spoilers though.

When I think about how much I love this series I'm amazed it has taken me so long to get around to reading Biting Cold. I don't even have a good excuse considering how thrilled I was by Ethan's return at the end of Drink Deep! I guess the good thing about putting it off is that I already have the next 2 books and a novella ready to start reading though, I hate the delay between series books so they should keep me going for a little while. Bearing in mind it had 2 years since I read Drink Deep I was surprised at how easily Chloe Neill was able to suck me back into her world, I was worried that I'd have forgotten what was going on but she was able to recap enough to remind me of the important things without bogging down the story with too much extra information. It was like catching up with old friends, you know the kind where you can go months without seeing each other but the moment you meet up it's like you were never apart?

Anyway, let's get back to my review! I wasn't too sure what to expect from this book since my friends all seem to either love or hate it but I'm happy to say I really enjoyed it. I knew there were going to be big problems to deal with thanks to Mallory's previous actions and I was worried that she would never go back to being the girl I loved at the beginning of the series. The things she has done are pretty unforgivable and she still has worse up her sleeve in this instalment. Thankfully she does eventually realise what she was in the wrong and although she has a long way to go she has made a start at atoning for her actions. It's going to take her a long time to put things right and I'm not sure if her friendship with Merit will ever get back to the way it used to be but I have hope for her now which is good.

I have always had a thing for Ethan, even though there have been times when he acted like an arrogant ass and made me want to slap him there has just been something about him that I love. The chemistry between him and Merit is fantastic and I love the way she always stands up to him and puts him in his place. After his miraculous return I had high hopes that they would finally get their relationship back on track in this book but frustratingly Ethan has other ideas. Although I understood his reasons for backing off I still wanted to throttle him, he knows Merit is more than capable of standing up to him when she needs to so he should have trusted in her more. What I did really like is that Merit doesn't let him get away with pushing her to one side, she knows what she wants from him and she will fight to get it. Hopefully things will go a little smoother for them in the next book.

There is plenty of action in Biting Cold and some very interesting developments with the world that guarantee to make things interesting as the series continues. I would have liked to have seen more of Merit's grandfather, Jeff and Catcher but it was great to see more of the shifters and we spend a lot of time with the vampires that Merit has become friends with. I'm very curious to see what direction things will take after the latest revelations and there is no way I'll be waiting another 2 years before I read the next book!

4.0 out of 5 stars a good continuation, 21 Dec 2013
Picking up without missing a beat from the last book, I was a little disappointed that I did not feel as engaged by the characters this time around. Still a very enjoyable read as part of the series to date, this one is almost a 'stand alone'.

5.0 out of 5 stars biting cold, 20 Dec 2013
Brilliant boil just as enthralling as the rest of the series can't wait for the one in February to be released

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 21 Aug 2012
Please be warned that there are spoilers for the earlier books in this review.

Biting Cold picks up immediately where Drink Deep left off with Merit and Ethan on a road trip hunting down Merit's best friend Mallory. Mallory is on a mission to unleash the evil which is contained in the Maleficium, a magical book, in order to ease the pain that she is feeling from Dark Magic and it is up to the two vampires to stop her.

First of all let me say that I love the Chicagoland Vampires, Ethan Sullivan is my number 1 book boyfriend. I love the characters, the world that they live in, the author's writing, basically everything then Ms Neill goes and kills off Ethan in book 4 Hard Bitten. I was absolutely devastated however I actually congratulated Ms Neill for her brave decision. It cannot be easy to kill off one of your main characters. I wondered how the series would progress without my beloved Ethan. Then in book 5 Drink Deep I was coming to terms with Ethan's demise I had hope that Merit could still have a happy future possible with the delectable Jonah then all of a sudden Ethan was brought back to life by Mallory. I was surprised and sort of happy, I mean what did this mean for the series now. I didn't understand the reason for Ms Neill to kill off Ethan in the first place just to bring him back. In my opinion Ethan's death and resurrection just feels a bit pointless and wishy-washy and that is how I found this book to be...a bit pointless and wishy-washy.

Merit is obviously delighted to have Ethan back and I thought their relationship might move on but it doesn't. Ethan still has commitment issues even after 5 books and one death but like in earlier books where as this was exciting with the will they won't they now I found it frustrating and annoying.

I had trouble with the pacing of the book, the nights seemed endless and I was amazed at how much Merit could fit into the hours. Some things did not make sense to me either. There is a fight scene with Merit and Ethan and I was confused at what Merit was doing and ended up shouting at the book 'Why are you doing that, stop being stupid do this'. And I couldn't understand why Catcher wasn't helping hunt Mallory after all he is a sorcerer and Mallory is his girlfriend.

Drink Deep was a let down for me it didn't live up to the earlier books in the series and Biting Cold is even more of a let down. This felt like a filler book, the plot wasn't exciting and it seemed to exist solely to get Ethan back in the picture. Originally I was going to give Biting Cold 4 stars just because of my love for Ethan but having recently read way better books I am going to give it 3. I won't give up on this series but I really hope the next book gets back on track.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a let down, 16 Aug 2012
First off, I wold like to say that I am a huge fan of this series and always buy the books as soon as they are released. I love the interplay between all the main characters and have a real affection for Merit.
Now to the down side. At the end of the last book, Ethan was brought back from the dead. Now I eagerly anticipated this book thinking that now that Ethan and Merit were together again, they would finally be able to get together, get it on and get on with the job of saving the world, but apparently not. Once again, Ethan puts a halt on their relationship and puts everything before him and Merit. I found this so infuriating as it is simply repetitive and lazy of the writer to go over this ground AGAIN!
Merit does her usual and the story chugs along well and the ending is well crafted and the book once again ties up a few loose ends and leaves the reader knowing that there will be another book in the series and with a rough idea of where the story is going, as per usual. But the down side to this is that I was left feeling that I had waited for another chapter in the book rather than a whole story or installment in a series as there was not enough story or character development for me in this book.
I will read the next in the series as I always wonder what will happen to Merit next but I truly hope that there will be some big character development and story arcs in the next as this one felt a bit like a bridge from the older books in the series to the new, rather than a story that could stand on its own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Expanding the Chicagoland Vampires beyond both Chicago and Vampires..., 16 Aug 2012
I felt a need to redress the review balance a little here. This is an enjoyable continuation of Merit's story, and whilst it might not quite hit the heights of the first couple of books in the series, it's definitely a good read.
Without giving away too much, I can say that Chloe Neill takes her main characters away from the city for a while, and once again I found her descriptions of places and people brought the world to life for me. The additional (and surprising) supernatural species were well thought through, although I have to admit that one of them required a big effort in the belief-suspension department!

There is a lot of plot and action in this book. To some extent that does take up space where there could have been a bit more in-depth character development and interaction and that is why I've knocked off a star. Dear Chloe, please note that your readers love reading about the interplay of key characters, you can't give us too much of them :)

Needless to say, the Merit/Ethan story is not straightforward, and unlike another reviewer, I didn't find the angst just a rehash; I think it's more realistic in a time of great upheaval when you're dealing with complex personalities. I like the way Merit is growing into her Sentinel role and making use of the connections she's been building, including the Red Guard. It's still going to take time to redress the balance between her as a newbie vamp and Ethan the 400-yr-old super-powerhouse-strategist-politician and I'm looking forward to reading more development there in the next book.

Next book? Oh but of course. We are well set up for further adventures as the political climate gets shakier in the human and supernatural communities. 5 stars next time if we can have lots more about the key characters!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 July 2014
love it great read

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Biting Cold: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (Chicagoland Vampires Series)
6.39