Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 July 2015
This book is superb it largely follows a company of mercenaries lead by the Red Knight on campaign. The characters are engaging and many of the characters are very likable. It is also a bargain as this book is massive and could easily have been split into a number of smaller books.
on 15 January 2016
Superb first book in the series. Wanted by collectors all over the world. Writing under a pseudonym, author Christian Cameron is a noted fine historical fiction writer with a large International following. He is proving to be equally popular with this excellent series.
on 7 June 2015
I had read and loved Christian Camerons historical fiction so was intrigued to see the result of his fantasy work. I have to say I absolutely loved it. A vivid world with believable characters that have some real depth brings the whole story to life. Hooked!
on 31 January 2015
I don't actually LIKE it - too much swearing, blasphemy and gratuitous gore for my delicate psyche. It is a compelling, well constructed yarn though. I ordered the next book in the series before I'd finished this one which tells you something
on 8 June 2014
Not really happy with this book. It started off really well then got bogged down in to much needless information. I kept 'rooting' for the bad guys, mainly because the alternative was an over pompus main character, i.e. the Red Knight.
on 24 June 2015
This is a first class fantasy novel for anyone who loves Tolkien and the like. Wonderful characters and story. Romance, magic, violence and monsters. Woof.

Shame about the editing - which is sadly, bloomin' terrible.
on 14 January 2013
I am enjoying this book, i'm in the last chapter and will read more by Cameron. A few observations are the regular spelling mistakes and the very short snapping from one character to another. Other than that its very enjoyable
on 3 May 2015
A superb addition to any fantasy collection.An identifiable setting of Middle Ages Britain with the addition of mythical creatures it literally drips blood from tooth and claw and all sides are drawn in characterful detail.
on 29 December 2014
A great fantasy war series that does not spare any detail in combining creatures, humans, magic, historical armour/weapons, lifestyle, warfare. Kept me engaged and happy that I purchased the second book after finishing it.
on 5 November 2014
Not one of Mr Cameron's best. I prefer his Christian Cameron books. This seems to be too much influenced by "Game of Thrones". One fantasy novel will, I hope be enough, but it has a "series look" to it.