5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read
As tired and overused as this phrase may be in reviews, I don't think I can avoid using it -I really enjoyed this book.

Published 21 months ago by Phantom

3.0 out of 5 stars I just didn't get it....
I need to qualify my loyalty to Nalini Singh first. I have every one of her books and have loved them all, however I honestly thought this was the worst book she's ever written.

From my line of work I understand the damage that severe abuse causes and people do not recover in the way Nalini writes which is making it harder for me to connect with the stories...
Published 22 months ago by Escape Artist

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 2 July 2013

if you're new to the series, you should definitely begin at the start with Slave to Sensation. As romance novels go, these are pretty good, the titles are what you'd expect, the characters are usually very intelligent and make intelligent, adult decisions. The books are easy to read in that respect. I've never found myself cringing at any passages or rolling my eyes in disgust as I have with some novels.

But if you set aside the romance, the actual plot lines of the books are what really grab me. The thought and the imagination behind it all, the subtle political machinations in the background, the way the world is slowly changing. The difference between the experienced minds carefully chipping away at the chaos and the newcomers bludgeoning away at it.

I must admit, by and large I don't read these books for the romance any more. It's not that I don't enjoy it, because I do. I love the characters and I loved this pair in particular -I've always had a soft spot for characters who have slightly more ambiguous motives. But I am more intrigued by what shifts are coming. Who will come to power. Even at the end of this story, where titanic shifts have happened, I cannot see a clear or easy resolution. And so I will keep reading...

5.0 out of 5 stars Psy/Changeling World Shattering, 7 Jun. 2013
catherine "Catherine" (poole, dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
At its heart, this book is essentially a two-hander between Kaleb Krychek and Sahara Nightstar. Having said that, this is the book where the Psy/Changeling world changes.
The arc and threads that have been built up by Nalini Singh are beautifully brought together - and Nalini Singh does not drop the ball, or short change her readership.
Questions are answered - some as just a throwaway line, others as a breathtaking shocker.
The last few books have been very Changeling-centric, so it's a lovely change to be very firmly in Psy territory - where the Psy world is about to change beyond recognition.
Are there plotholes - well, perhaps. But I don't read romance to nitpick, I read it to be entertained - And I certainly was !
I'm so looking forward to the next development in the Psy/Changeling Universe - Roll on Aden/Vasic/Alice and Xavier - I can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight to the Heart, 9 Jun. 2013
I am a huge fan of Nalini Singh's works, and to date I have read everything this talented lady has written...Her latest Psy/Changeling series is Heart of Obsidian, which is Kaleb's book.

The Psy/Changeling world is set in an alternate universe and have 3 major players, they are the Changeling packs who are animal shape shifters, such as Leopards and wolves (who are the main characters of her books), then you have the Humans, who are ordinary, and finally you have the Psy who are human, but have extraordinary powers like telepathy, telekinesis and so much more, but in order to survive they have to link minds with each other creating the Psynet...and for the last 100 years, they have chosen to go 'Silent' in other words cut out those pesky human emotions like empathy, love, jealousy, kindness and sexual relations. But by doing this, flaws are starting to show, whereby some Psy are in pain, having to hide the fact that their silence is broken, while others, become mad and experience psychotic behaviour...If These individuals are discovered they have been brain wiped in the past.

In this book we learn more about the Psy world, and get an in depth almost exclusive take from a psy perspective (only touching on the Changeling characters either in passing, or towards the end of the book)and this book has come at a perfect time, with the story Arc having been built up throughout the rest of the series, and with the emergence of the Deadly Pure Psy movement, who will stop at nothing to make the Psy race the top dog, and the biggest threat, and that includes terrorism against their own kind dealing with their detractors, and those that oppose their ideals, and they don't care who is caught in the cross fire.

Kaleb Krychek is an ex counsellor (leader) of the ruling Psy council, and he has a special infinity with the 2 sides of the Psynet, the Net mind and the Dark mind, who tell him that the Psynet is dying slowly unless something changes. Kaleb has also been searching for someone for 7 years, and at the end of the previous book Tangle of Need we ended on a cliff hanger in which Kaleb finally locates the women he has been searching for..Who is this mysterious women? and what is her connection to Kaleb? Who is the Ghost? and is Kaleb on the side of Good or Evil? all these questions get answered here in this book and thankfully so, otherwise I'd have had to hunt Nalini down in New Zealand and demand answers from her...

Nalini does an excellent job in which Kaleb's character is fully rounded and we see everything from his pov, and as always the romance is so heartfelt and strong and charged, that it was impossible not to be moved as Kaleb wrestled with unknown emotions he couldn't seem to comprehend let alone identify. Nalini stayed true to Kaleb's character I'm happy to say, and didn't change him from a cold motivated Alpha to a wet loved up idiot (I hate when that happens). Nalini is a true master of writing strong characters and giving them heart without changing their core personality!

If my some bizarre reason you haven't read the Psy/Changeling series, please start at Book 1 'Slave to Sensation' as you really need to read this series in order.

I now wait with bated breath for the next instalment,unsure who the focus of her next book will be (it has to be either Aden or Vasic) but in the meantime I will have to 'make do' with Archangel's Legion which is the next book in her Guild Hunter series (also Excellent! and I urge you to start with Book One 'Angels Blood' I love me some Elena and Raphael, not to mention Dimitri, Bluebell and the rest of his seven...

5.0 out of 5 stars Psy-Changeling book 12, 23 Nov. 2014
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Heart of Obsidian: A Psy-Changeling Novel (PSY-CHANGELING SERIES) (Paperback)
I don't think I even have the words to say how much I loved Heart of Obsidian, it's definitely a new favourite book from this series and it went up against some serious competition to win that spot. I have been fascinated with Kaleb since we first met him, the seemingly cold councillor has always left me with the impression that there is a molten core underneath that icy exterior but I couldn't even have begun to guess how much I would come to love him as I read this book.

Kaleb grew up in hell, raised by a monster and trained from a young age to ignore any kind of pain or suffering. He is an incredibly powerful Cardinal who clawed his way onto the Council and was determined to do anything to take complete control of the Psy-Net. Now his goal is in sight but there is a rot that is spreading through the net, one that could destroy the Psy if it isn't stopped. Kaleb is the only one who is capable of saving the net but there is only one reason for him to save the Psy and that is the woman who was stolen from him and hidden seven years ago. Kaleb has spent years searching for Sahara and she is finally within his reach but she has spent those missing years suffering the worst kind of torture and there may not be much of her mind left to save.

I don't really want to say too much more and risk spoiling the story to anyone who hasn't read this book yet. Don't let the lack of words fool you though, this really is the best book in the series and it took me on a complete emotional roller coaster. Kaleb and Sahara have a history that goes back to their childhood but it's a history of shared pain and suffering. They have both been through terrible things but have become even stronger because of that and I loved every minute of their journey. The flashbacks of their childhoods were heartbreaking but that just made seeing them reconnect in the present even more beautiful, there is a raw passion between them that shows the emotional connection that was forged when they were children and that bond comes back stronger than ever now they're adults.

Kaleb is a dangerous man, someone who could have come across as cold but he would do anything for Sahara, he would burn the world to the ground to protect her but he would also save it if she asked him to. I think one of the most heartbreaking things about Kaleb is that he is unable to see the good inside himself, he has done some incredibly selfless things but he never takes credit for those. It is much easier for him to see himself as a monster and it takes Sahara's faith to show him the good he has done. I love that they accept each other so completely - both the good and the bad - neither of them judges the other they just stand side by side prepared to fight for each other and their relationship. My heart broke for the children they should have been but I cried tears of happiness for the adults they have become.

The last few books have been mainly focused on the Changelings but with Silence on the verge of collapsing and Pure-Psy doing anything to try and maintain it we knew we were going to see some major upheaval for the Psy-Net. This book really does start to mix things up a bit and it's going to be really interesting to see how the Psy react to the latest developments. Can they find a way past Silence or has the rot that is spreading through the net caused irreparable damage? We may not see as much of the Changelings in this book but we do get a chance to catch up with a few old faces and I was so fascinated with what was going on with Kaleb and Sahara that I didn't really have time to miss the others. It made a nice change for the focus to be on the Psy and I think one of the strengths of this series is that there are so many different characters and races for us to spend time with.

If you're a fan of the series and haven't got to Heart of Obsidian yet then I really don't know what you're waiting for. This is a must read instalment and one that I'm sure fans will adore. If you haven't discovered these books yet then I can't recommend them highly enough. Nalini Singh has become my favourite author for a reason, both the Psy-Changeling and her Guild Hunter books are absolutely wonderful. She is a master at creating detailed worlds, fantastic characters and brilliant romances and I will never be able to get enough of her writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! what a story, 15 July 2013
Nalini Singh has created a brilliant tale for Kaleb and Sahara, It was a tremendous storyline from both points of view. He always seemed almost irredeemable, a man of such focused ambition, who appeared cruel and calculating in the extreme. His childhood experiences were disturbing to read about. Being the protégée of Councillor Enrique Santana created a man of incredible strengths with what appeared to be a core of pure steel, cold and lacking any appearance of real humanity, and yet over the series, he was certainly a contender for the role of The Ghost. So who was he really? His redemption came via Sahara, and over the course of the book Nalini took us back to how they first met, the bond that formed, the horrors that both survived and Kaleb's persistent and dogged search for her.
Sahara's experiences too, were horrendous, she survives by burying her true spirit, her essence, deep deep in her psyche where no one can reach. Her recovery made interesting reading, and the developing relationship between the two was really well written, with lots of surprises along the way.
All in all a brilliant read. Looking forward to the next story, which appears to be about Vasic. Can't wait!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart of obsidian, 15 Jun. 2013
I loved this book, I have been waiting a long time for Kaleb Krychek to get his story and Nalini does him justice. The book opens directly where Tangle of Need: The Psy-Changeling Seriesfinishes. Kaleb has finally found Sahara and he is never going to let her go.
I won't go to much into the plot, that has been covered already. Needless to say Kaleb carries this book, he is tall, dark, handsome, intense and his actions at times can at best be described as morally ambiguous. Sahara can be a little bit to sweet and wholesome but she has to be Kaleb's conscience because as he himself says his conscience is not going to grow back.
If you want a wonderful intense love story set in the backdrop of the beginnings of civil war then this is the book for you. Now I will have to wait for the next Psy/Changeling novel, am hoping it will be about about Vasic,if anyone needs his heroine to step in and save him it is this guy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Minds, 24 Aug. 2014
petula winmill (malaga andalucia) - See all my reviews
Psy / Changeling series.

You do need to have read the previous books in this series to understand it properly.

Kaleb Krychek is probably the most powerful Psy on the planet.Raised from the age of three in the less than tender care of a monster,now known to have been a serial killer. While the world has been getting ever nearer to all out war, Kaleb has been searching for someone.
Sahara Kyriakus was abducted seven years ago, and has hidden herself so deep in her mind she might never find her way out. With most of her memories buried Sahara is unsure of the man who draws her but also scares her. Kaleb has rescued Sahara and is protecting her from anyone who might come for her,knowing all the time he is the greatest danger.
Terrorists are causing hundreds of deaths all over the world and Kaleb finds himself more and more in the role of a hero. He is used to always being the one that people fear.
As Sahara regains her confidence she is pulled into a strong attachment to Kaleb that feels like it has been there forever, not just since he rescued her. She will not allow Kaleb to sink into the darkness that surrounds him.

This book is quite violent, with the terrorism and Kaleb's desire for revenge. When Sahara tells Kaleb all she remembers ,it is traumatic for all. The way the Psy use the power of their minds is so believable It's scary.
I love this series and look forward to the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read!, 6 Jun. 2013
I never fail to enjoy a Nalini Singh book and Heart of Obsidian was no exception. Many questions were answered in this book which I was glad of as sometimes if a revelation or under-lying story is too delayed I begin to lose interest. The suspense was built perfectly by the previous books without over doing it, now I feel my patience has been rewarded and I look forward to seeing what happens in the fallout from this book.
This series has so many fantastic characters each unique and individual meaning that I always hotly anticipate the release of a new Psy-Changeling book knowing how unlikely it is that I'll be disappointed. This book having been perfectly set up in Tangle of Need does not fail to deliver and many things come together.
This is a book that moves the over-all story arc forward considerably without compromising on the development of the relationship between Kaleb and his heroine. For me this book should read as part of the series rather than stand-alone in order to understand the events taking place which are a key part of the story. An exciting addition to an already fantastic series I can't wait to see what happens next in this world as a result of the events in Heart of Obsidian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart of Obsidian, 17 Dec. 2013
Like all the Nalini Singh books I couldn't wait for this one to arrive, I had pre-ordered it and it seemed to take forever to reach me. When it came and I saw who the main character was I was a little bit taken aback.Well quite a lot actually.
Krychek a romantic? The other books had given him such a bad reputation it seemed unbelievable.
I even felt unsure about beginning to read the book, but Oh my what a read ,it was unbelievably romantic and such a lovely love story. Two very tragic people coming together after years of waiting to find each other again. I could not have predicted this at all. It was a ''cant't put down book and a god I need to finish this to see what happens''. I was delighted with the book and once again highly recommend it to all Nalini Singh readers. Cant wait to see what she will do with another very broken person in the series VASIC. Shame we have to wait so long for her next book. Oh well I can always read this one again which I normally do with all the series, time after time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great read, my new favourite in the series, 26 Jun. 2013
Miss Riley - See all my reviews
I have been reading the Psy-Changeling series since my mother introduced me to Caressed by Ice and have quickly been hooked by the complex characters and rich world that they inhabit.

Kaleb is a character that has always fascinated me and I was excited when I found out that there was going to be a book where he was the main character and I have not been disappointed.

I have always enjoyed reading books set in this world but Kaleb's story has just become my new favourite.

Heart of Obsidian: A Psy-Changeling Novel (PSY-CHANGELING SERIES)