5.0 out of 5 stars Another Moning masterpiece
I just finished reading 'Darkfever',it's a great book, I was completely enthralled, all the usual elements from this author, a heroine you can really care about, humour, danger, a read that has a bit of everything.

The story - Mackayla Lane, Mac to friends and family, is an unambitious blonde, content to do the odd bit of bartending, listen to tunes on her iPod...
Published on 6 Nov 2006 by Voracious for Books

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a good series
I thought that this book was ok! I have read better in this genre. I thought there would be more romance although there might be more as the series goes on. This book was not enough for me to buy the next book!
Published 12 months ago by Emma Wirral

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed, but not inlove, 6 Aug 2014
I did enjoy reading this book. I know the point of a series is to keep you wanting more but I rather wished for a better ending.

1.0 out of 5 stars Some good ideas stifled by poor writing, 12 Dec 2011
Rachel E. Miller (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Darkfever (Fever 1) (Paperback)
Moning has some good ideas and an interesting premise - that the powers of Faery are slowly taking over the world. I particularly liked the idea that whole streets and districts of the city of Dublin are disappearing from the maps as they are taken over and become 'Dark Zones'. The idea that the powers of darkness are being opposed by a small number of brave 'sidhe-seers' (people who can perceive the presence of faeries) is a bit trite, but could be engaging in the right hands.

Unfortunately, Moning's writing was simply not good enough to keep me reading. She falls into the trap of telling the reader rather than showing the reader what is going on, which effectively destroys the atmosphere she is trying to create. Her characterization is particularly weak, and she relies (again) on telling the reader what a character looks like rather than providing any insight into their personality.

Her main character, MacKayla, is depicted as a vacuous cheerleader-Barbie blonde. MacKayla is supposed to have travelled from the US to Ireland to find out why her beloved older sister was brutally murdered and to bring the killer to justice. However, Moning seems to be much more interested in what clothes MacKayla is wearing, how she accessorises, and what particular shade of pink nail-varnish she is wearing on a daily basis. Occasionally MacKayla will be 'reminded' of her sister and cry for a few lines. The other characters in the story are just as forgettable, although most, if not all, of the male characters are devastatingly handsome in a mysterious enigmatic way - and all of course deeply attracted to MacKayla.

So, to sum up - some interesting ideas, and this could have been a genuinely creepy story, but it's badly let down by the writing. I wouldn't recommend this series, unless the writing improves dramatically in the later books.

3.0 out of 5 stars I feel a bit cheated, 15 Sep 2007
E. E. Baxter (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Darkfever (Mass Market Paperback)
Having dicovered the Highlander books and enjoyed them so much I thought this would be as good. Sadly mistaken I am afraid.It seems that this has been released before it was finished purely to get a book on the shelves. Why cut it off so quickly? I had to check to make sure I was really at the end of the book. It was like those really annoying TV programmes that have "to be continued" at the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid and a great outing, 1 Oct 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Darkfever (Fever 1) (Paperback)
OK, I originally had this down as a Young Adult title until I read it of course. The book is dark, has some great twists and takes the world of the fae to a level as yet undreamed of by many mere mortals, where many are as foul as they are dark and a glamour is all that stands between them and ourselves.

It's cleverly constructed, has some great twists and wonderfully weaves the mythos of Ireland into a setting that the reader can't help but shudder yet still be allured in by the author. My only gripe with it was the sexual content that I felt wasn't required and could have added more to it had it been omitted, that said however there is some great prose and of course a fast paced story that not only entices but spellbinds which will hopefully get the recognition it deserves. Magical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Aug 2014
looking forward to next series if there is one

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 12 Sep 2007
Old Romantic (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Darkfever (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read all the Highlander books and I love them. Darkfever is nothing like them. No romance just gothic horror based on the same them of the Tuatha de Danaan. Really disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately, not for me, 18 Sep 2011
While the plot and the characters are interesting, the literary language is rather cringeworthy. I am not a fan of reading slang regularly thus was unable to enjoy this book to it's full potential. This is a real shame considering that the plot seems like something I would thoroughly enjoy.

2.0 out of 5 stars This ishe 1st KMM Book I've read..., 20 Jan 2008
J. Ashton (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Darkfever (Mass Market Paperback)
& it was absolutely not what I thought it would be. I wanted to try something 'different' so I thought I would try a romance novel, this book came up as one of the top romance books on Amazon's list & to be honest I was really dissapointed. There was absolutely NO romance whatsoever. This book is basically a 300-odd page 'intro'. All I got from this book was an insight in to the inner workings of the heroine. If your want from a book is to really 'be' the main character then this book does that but personally,I felt a bit cheated, this promised to be really exciting but it just didn't deliver.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three stars, 18 Feb 2011
Having been recommended this book by a friend, I thought I would give Darkfever a try. The reason I didn't give it more than three stars was because I felt that the book was repetitive at times, not the best quality of writing, and also the heroine was somewhat annoyin. HOwever despite these things it was definately an improvement over Karen Moning's highlander series. Also, I would have liked at least a little bit of romance. And did not care for the ending of the book, though I can't say why without spoiling it for other readers. But in general, I liked the whole Fairy theme, and found the book original. I will give the sequel a try and see if it is any better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very unusual plot and great summer read, 27 July 2014
G. Tyler (UK) - See all my reviews
Loved it!

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

Darkfever (Fever 1)
Darkfever (Fever 1) by Karen Marie Moning (Paperback - 8 Sep 2011)
5.59