5.0 out of 5 stars Another Moning masterpiece
I just finished reading 'Darkfever',it's a great book, I was completely enthralled, all the usual elements from this author, a heroine you can really care about, humour, danger, a read that has a bit of everything.

Published on 6 Nov 2006 by Voracious for Books

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a good series
I thought that this book was ok! I have read better in this genre. I thought there would be more romance although there might be more as the series goes on. This book was not enough for me to buy the next book!
Published 13 months ago by Emma Wirral

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Moning masterpiece, 6 Nov 2006
Voracious for Books "Voraciousforbooks" (South London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Darkfever (Hardcover)

The story - Mackayla Lane, Mac to friends and family, is an unambitious blonde, content to do the odd bit of bartending, listen to tunes on her iPod and just enjoy her quiet life in Georgia. While her parents are away celebrating their wedding anniversary, she gets a phone call informing her that her beloved sister who's away in Ireland studying, has been murdered. While her parents crumble into grief, Mac goes to Ireland to find out who murdered her sister and why.

Amongst the other strange goings on in Dublin, Mac meets the sexy and mysterious Barrons who is willing to give her some of the answers in exchange for help, when he finds out that she's a Shidhe-Seer (a human able to see the fae and see through their glamour). Mac is also able to sense powerful dark objects, such as a book which Mac's sister Alina hid before she died. Mac is unable to know who to trust, as it is apparent that Barrons is not human and keeping secrets. All manner of fae monsters are lose in Dublin's fair city and they are out to either kill or capture her. There's a hilarious scene in a museum where Mac has a second run-in with a fae prince who's sexually irresistible to mortals.

Before I was halfway through this book, I thought that compared to her last book, 'Spell of the Highlander' it was a lot shorter and it turns out that this book is the first in the 'Fever' series, so Mac's story continues in the next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 28 July 2010
This review is from: Darkfever (Mass Market Paperback)
I had never read Karen Marie Moning before so I didn't have anything to compare this to in terms of more purely romance books. Darkfever is less romance than faerie urban fantasy novel and Moning does that very well. The ditzy blonde heroine seems like an idiot until you get used to the idea of having someone unlikely and maybe for that more interesting as your action-packed heroine. Barrons is certainly not a boring and all-over-the-heroine romance hero but that just makes him more intriguing and maybe even sexier. The plot is very mystery based and we still don't know as much as we would like to by the end of the novel, but it's very much a doorway into the world.
Being Irish, some of the fetishisation of Dublin irked a bit, all seen from a very very Georgian American POV, but in the end I just kind of liked it being set in Ireland. It makes a lot more sense than having Irish fay in Georgia plus it works well characterisation-wise.
I would really recommend Darkfever if you are a bit older but like YA books like Wicked Lovely and Tithe, or if you like more adult urban fantasy books like Karen Chance or the more inventive paranormal romances like Kresley Cole's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a new series, 25 Sep 2007
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Darkfever (Mass Market Paperback)
Darkfever is a hugely enjoyable book with an engaging heroine, MacKayla Lane, who recounts the way in which her life changed irrevocably following a telephone call from Dublin to say that her sister had been murdered. Mac, as the narrator, is looking back to events which happened over a year ago so we occasionally are told things that she didn't know at the time as we follow her travelling from her small town in Georgia to Dublin to try and find out more about Alina's death.

Mac's investigations seem hopeless and yet she perseveres but her attention is soon taken by some very strange events - an odd woman accosting her, a strange vision of a handsome man turning into an evil monster, and some unusual shadows. When Mac meets Jericho Barrons, rich owner of a bookstore right next to a strangely dark and empty part of the city, she is forced to face up to some unwelcome new truths - that Mac has skills as a Sidhe-seer and that her life is in danger.

Mac and Barrons team up in order to search for an ancient book that Alina was pursuing in order to try to defeat the Unseelies who are flooding into Dublin. However Mac is given little information with which to work, Barrons being master of cryptic conversation, and her own mission to find Alina's killer is still important to her.

The writing style of this book is excellent with Mac, as narrator, a very amusing character whose take on the world can be great fun, even as she's facing evil and dark things worse than she's ever considered. Her descriptions of some of the Unseelie are very amusing and yet her sense of fear as her world falls apart is also very well written. Although billed as a romance there's almost no romance in this story but it is clearly the beginning of a series and there are some hints as to the romantic direction into which it will go. The only real drawback of this book is that it doesn't reach any kind of a resolution, it just sets the reader on the path of Darkfever's world and makes the next book obligatory reading. This book feels rather like scene-setting for the major battle which one assumes will come in a future book. It is still, however, a really enjoyable read with some great characters, a light and fresh writing style and an interesting setting in Dublin.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book, [...] © Helen Hancox 2007

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fiction, 29 July 2009
This review is from: Darkfever (Mass Market Paperback)
I read the Highlander series about two years ago on the recommendation of a friend. At the time, I was looking for something light and sexy with a supernatural feel, so it certainly fulfilled all those requirements. However, the most suprising thing, after she put aside the formulaic sadomasochistic back and forth between the hero and the heroine and focused on the subplot - yes, actual plot - I was blown away. While the overdone erotic scenes that were characteristic of the Highlander series are absent, I'm glad to see that she's taken what I see as the best elements of those books and continued them in this series. Her heroine, MacKayla Lane (probably the most glamorous to date) is stronger, sassier and more likable than previous incarnations, and her hero (or anti-hero, depending on how you look at it), Jericho Barrons, is darker and more mysterious. She touched on the world of the Tuath De Danann in her previous series insofar as it was relevant to the lives of the characters; in this one she weaves her own mythologies.

As much as I'm looking forward to reading the next book to find out what happens next, and if I've only given this book four out of five instead of full marks, it's because I felt it was lacking. Perhaps it will be revealed at a later date why Karen Marie Moning chose to set the book in Dublin rather than an American city, but by the end of it, I was still wondering why she even bothered. Has she ever been to Dublin or talked with any Irish people? Her Dublin is a Dublin set in an alternate universe: the cityscapes, buildings and subcultures she described exist only in her imagination. (The police station might be the exception.) Any Irish characters, when they're allowed to speak, talk like Scots in a badly-made American production. (She also keeps her Scottish phraseology.) It's something of a relief when she gives up the pretense and focuses on her British and American characters, and the story. But apparently I'm the only person bothered by that, so just ignore this paragraph and go on to the next praise-filled one.

So, if you're looking for a fantastic supernatural tale that doesn't degenerate into an orgy, this might just be the one for you. In fact, I'm surprised that this is classified as a romance and not supernatural mystery, and has apparently been marketed to the same people who bought the Highlander series if the bad reviews are anything to go by. Karen Marie Moning has done herself proud on this outing. (I just wish she'd leave the thesaurus alone. Her editor didn't catch a couple of those inappropriately used words.) This novel will appeal to men and young adults, as well as the bored married women and sad singletons club. (Raises hand.) What are you waiting for? Buy it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance, 11 Jan 2009
This review is from: Darkfever (Mass Market Paperback)
No, this is not in the Highlander series (although it's in the same world) and its not a paranormal romance and it isn't a standalone story but first of a series of five. Having said all that... it is paranormal and there are two very dishy males in it(Fae,Human,Whatever)with a couple of somewhat erotic scenes.
Other reviews will give a summary of the story. I'm just writing to encourage others like me who were doubtful about trying this book to give it a chance.
It is a very gripping read. I resisted reading it for ages 'cos I knew it wasn't a standard paranormal romance but was very quickly pulled into the story once I started.
The heroine starts off as a pretty , empty-headed, ditzy blonde but has to quickly mature(and change her hair colour) as she sees and experiences things she never thought existed.
Don't expect it to be like the Highlander series;just go with the flow of the story and at the end of the book you'll be like me, immediately ordering the next book in the series from Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great first book and we meet Barrons!, 11 Nov 2010
This review is from: Darkfever (Mass Market Paperback)
Mac Kayla "Mac" Lane had a comfortable life in her small town with her family and worrying about nothing more than her suntan or what to wear the next day. Her world changes forever when she receives a telephone call telling her that her sister has been killed in Ireland. Mac decides to travel to Ireland to find out who killed her sister, almost as soon as she arrives her troubles and danger start.

Mac stumbles upon Barrons Books and Baubles after wandering the dangerous deserted streets she later learns are the Dark Zone. Here she asks about the "Sinsar Dubh" which her sister told her she had to find. Although initially extremely unhelpful, understandably so we come to learn later, events conspire to force Mac back there where she begins to discover what it means to be a Sidhe-seer.

Mac grows as a character so much more than I expected her to from our introduction to her. She turns out to be smart, tough and able to look after herself (all be it with a lot of guidance from Barrons). I liked how she was able to be some much more than her "Barbie" type looks.

Jericho Barons is a difficult character to weigh up, he is very secretive and there is clearly much more to him than meets the eye. He is Mac's main source of information and safety as well as the subject of attraction bubbling under the surface. Barrons is hot, mysterious, sexy and dark, in other words exactly what we like in an alpha male in urban fantasy. I'm looking forward to more Barrons in the rest of the series!

The Unseelie Fae are the stuff of your nightmares! The descriptions of them are hideous and I really never want to meet them. The Seelie Fae on the other hand are as attractive as can be, I won't say any more as I'm trying to be spoiler free!

The world building in Darkfever is woven wonderfully into the story, an intriguing and exciting world has been created by Karen Marie Moning that will hook you in. The mythology of the world is seamlessly woven into the story.

If you like kick ass heroines and an alpha male who is mysterious, hot and more than a little difficult at times then Darkfever is probably for you! Thrown in the wonderful setting of Dublin and you can not go wrong in my opinion.

I really enjoyed Darkfever and will definitely continue to read the series. I am looking forward to reading Bloodfever (look out for a review sometime soon) and am going to try to pace myself so I'm ready to read Shadowfever when it's released early next year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fae the love of God!, 3 Oct 2010
This review is from: Darkfever (Mass Market Paperback)
I've been engrossed in this world for a week. Read all four existing books and loved them!This is the start of an entertaining, harrowing and engaging series which tempts the readers to question what makes a good person and what we rely on as unmitigated truths. I know deep, but I'm an English teacher and I can't help but over analyse. By the fourth book we are convinced that we haven't got a bloody clue about anything and as someone who is sick of opening a book in this genre and knowing the outcome by three pages in, that is a welcome change.

In this fist episode, Mac is on the trail of her sister's murderer and has taken a hop of the pond to Ireland from Atlanta. On departing her home country, she a perky blonde with no real ambition and little thoguht other than to press the Garda into reopening her sister's case. It shortly becomes apparent that something is very wrong with Ireland and her perceptions of the world and its inhabitants. The strange, enigmatic and grumpy Barrons grudgingly agrees to train her to accept this new world for fees and tasks that he chooses.

I'm addicted to these books, but the last of the series isn't released until January 2011 so if you are a devourer of books like myself wait a few months and save yourself the agony of having to wait for the concluding chapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darkfever, 3 Aug 2010
AngelGoneMad "Naomi" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Darkfever (Mass Market Paperback)
Darkfever is the first novel in the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. This book is full of mystery, revenge and tension.

To be brutally honest, I wasn't expecting much from this book but I had seen the hype and thought I would give it a go. I had read a faerie related story before and wasn't impressed with it and I am ashamed to admit it but I let that book put me off stories to do with the fae that are in the forefront of the story. I am so glad that I read this book though. Not only did this book totally change my mind on faerie stories but has now got me wanting more of Mac and Barrons.

MacKayla, Mac for short, is out for revenge against her sisters' murderer. Only problem is she doesn't have a clue where to start. She is in a foreign country where she knows no one and doesn't make much head way, until Barrons comes along that is. Soon enough Mac realises that not everything is as it seems and that secrets are well protected and with just cause.

My favourite part of the book is near the end between Barrons and Mac. It's quite an endearing moment between the two but I don't want to say anymore than that as it may spoil it for you if you haven't read the book. I like both the main characters but for different reasons. I like Mac because even though she moans a lot she is one kick-ass sidhe-seer. Barrons, well he is gorgeous for starters; tall, dark and Irish. Great recipe for any man. Do I need to say anything more?

I would recommend this book to anyone that is interested in reading about faeries. You won't be disappointed. The tension between Mac and Barrons is electric and will leave you wanting more.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, it was borrowed from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a good series, 22 Aug 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be an interesting series but I'm not quite tempted enough by book 1, 21 July 2013
I did like this book but I think it's one where you need to read more of the series to really get into it and I'm not sure this book would tempt me to want to continue reading if it weren't for having Goodreads friends who love the series.

In the 'pro' camp I'd say that Mac is a main character I really like. I normally like strong female leads and she fits this bill although not in the conventional way. She is strong because she's not ashamed of who she is, even if that involves pink nail varnish and rainbow coloured outfits. She's also stubborn, she knows what she wants and isn't going to forget what her purpose is.

I was also pleased that the author didn't make the transition from ignorance for Mac too quick. It's frustrating when a main character is thrown into a new world and just accepts it and adapts to it immediately. In this book we get the sense that Mac isn't comfortable with it yet, she's undecided whether she's embracing or rejecting it and in the meantime is focused only on Alina.

In the 'against' camp however, I found that so much was unexplained that I found myself a bit bewildered. It's telling that the author felt the need to add a glossary at the end and periodic stock taking in the form of Mac's journal. I appreciate having everything explained is not desirable and can often interfere with a story but in this I felt that information overload hadn't been avoided yet I still felt lost at times. This was particularly frustrating given the first person past tense. The Mac telling the story knows more than we're being told, I found that odd. I guess I'm used to first person present. All that 'later I came to see..' annoyed me.

Barrons was an interesting character but not exactly likable and I found that could be said about most of the main other characters introduced. Not much was learnt about them.

In summary I'd say that this book felt like merely an introduction to the series for me rather than a well rounded novel in it's own right. Lots of little tastes of what I expect will come later. I liked the main character but found the plot lacking in clarity and excitement with a somewhat anticlimactic ending. However, it seems like it may be a rich world that if I take the time to get to know I still hope could hold some interesting stories.

Darkfever (Fever 1)
Darkfever (Fever 1) by Karen Marie Moning (Paperback - 8 Sep 2011)