4.0 out of 5 stars floating worlds
just wish there was a sequel to find out what happened next to the characters in this book and where the universe expanded to next
Published 11 days ago by Marilyn Dunn

1.0 out of 5 stars Really very poor
Published 12 months ago by Mr. G. Earley

1.0 out of 5 stars Really very poor, 26 Mar 2013
Mr. G. Earley (Wimbledon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Floating Worlds (S.F. Masterworks) (Paperback)
I really wish this book was half the length as it might make it twice as interesting, although I have my doubts. And simply because this book was written by a woman in the 1970's it will be described as "Feminist" or about Feminism or something else with the word 'Feminis' in it. But it's not. The book attempts to use shock value and your own moral outrage to engage you but instead you are worn down with over 640 page, many of which detail where people are in relation to each other in a room and how they walk down a particular corridor. There are a few moments where it becomes interesting but the vast majority of it is not. Please don't be fooled by the MasterWorks title, it's a smokescreen as this book is not masterful or in any way deserving of this moniker. I'm not keeping my copy and have put it up for sale. My book club read it and only 3 out of almost 40 people said they actually enjoyed it. The best I heard anyone say was "It's not so bad" AVOID!

1.0 out of 5 stars The art of the horrible, 26 May 2013
Mrs. H. E. Downing (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Floating Worlds (S.F. Masterworks) (Paperback)
This book disturbed me. I can see why reviews are either 5 stars (I wish I could see what these readers saw) or 1 star. I gave it 1 star because it made me feel so miserable that (having read only 400 pages) I had to throw it in the bin, rather than pass on the misery by donating it to a second hand bookshop. Holland would get 5 stars if I were to rate it on her ability to describe callous, brutal, sexist, violent, offensive behaviour, all that we most hate at the bottom of the barrel of human nature and which causes most pain to others. Even the brief interludes of affection, humour and love could not redeem this horrific reading experience. I am going back to Arthur C Clarke and Ursula Le Guin.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dated and dull, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Floating Worlds (S.F. Masterworks) (Paperback)
I was so hopeful when I read Floating Worlds, having seen it compared to the work of Ursula LeGuin, amongst others. I was deeply disappointed. It is one of the very few books that I have started and then thrown away. The characters are one-dimensional and there is, perhaps deliberately, no sense of personality, environment or introspection to explain their actions. Anyone familiar with speculative fiction will know that different philosophies, societies and technologies are represented with greater panache, verve, enthusiasm and insight elsewhere. There is none of that impression of internal consistency, of the author's creation being a real world, that is evoked by other celebrated authors of both SF and fantasy. Floating Worlds is a polemic, inspired, I think, by the disillusion of the 1970s and stuck in its time in ways that stories by Jules Verne, HP Lovecraft, Fritz Leiber, Ursula LeGuin, Larry Niven and, perhaps, even Iain M Banks are not. It's certainly not the future, but it doesn't really seem to be the Twentieth Century either. The anarchist Earth, totalitarian moon, synthetic and technological Mars and the barbarian Styth are all unconvincing, their inhabitants ciphers rather than characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars floating worlds, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Floating Worlds (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual storyline, 10 Jan 2014
I thought this started off with a fairly unlikely premise but it develops well. The story is slightly dated in places but still works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read "Rakossy", 15 Jun 2013
Mr. E. A. Hulse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Floating Worlds (Kindle Edition)
Floating Worlds has some brilliant concepts. It is wide in its ideas of evolution of the solar system. I enjoyed the sparse style which conveyed so much.

I felt that the ending left so many unanswered questions, and wondered if there was an intended sequel.

I selected this book to read on my Kindle for two reasons. Many years ago I read "Rakossy" by Cecelia Holland and thought it was an excellent book. I also enjoy reading science fiction, so this seemed a good choice.

1.0 out of 5 stars unpleasant, 19 Aug 2011
I'm astounded at the high marks this book has been given. It is one of the few books I found actively unpleasant to read, and in fact it took me 2 attempts to finish it.

The reader is asked to sympathise with a woman who collaborates with a group of racist, violent slavers who inhabit the moons in the Outer Planets of the solar system. Written in the 70s, it wants us to excuse them as they are somehow 'sticking it to the Man', but what this actually means in the book is that anyone who vaguely went against the main protagonist ends up being murdered, enslaved or brainwashed.

If it was some kind of study on the effects of slavery, both for the slaves and the masters, I could see a point to this book. It isn't.

Definitely a book of its time, but not one I could recommend

1.0 out of 5 stars It wouldn't have cult status if everybody liked it, 22 April 2011
DB "davidbirkett" (Co. Kildare, Ireland (but born & raised Liverpool, UK)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Floating Worlds (Paperback)
Last year "New Scientist" magazine had an article where famous scientists named their "favourite forgotten SF masterpieces" and this was one of the books mentioned. The fact that there were only seven reviews prior to this one but they were all five stars would seem to confirm the said famous scientists opinion, but I'm afraid I have to differ. I've never enjoyed an SF book less. I found the plot confusing and disjointed, and except for the heroine (and not always her) I couldn't understand the motivations of the characters (of which there were too many).

For me the book didn't read like a novel but rather as a treatment for a lurid, violent, sexually explicit SF soap opera, and to be honest, if it were ever made I would probably watch it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely under-rated novel, 23 May 2001
This is one of the best sci-fi novels I have ever read, and it's a travesty that it is not better known. The book captivates the reader right from the start and never loosens its grip, not even when the final page is turned. The characters and images from this book have stayed with me. I would strongly recommend anyone interested in sci-fi, or just good fiction in general, to read this novel...

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant., 29 Jun 2006
This review is from: Floating Worlds (Hardcover)
I own three copies of this in case it goes out of print again and I lose it; it's that good. This book has everything. It's an SF classic, a feminist classic with the most ass-kicking heroine ever (Paula, who's short, black, in her late twenties and actually uses her brain to kick ass with!), a really plausible and interesting set-up (the Earth is a self-governed anarchy, Mars is a super-capitalist society where everything is fake and the Moon is a fascist dictatorship), and if none of that appeals, it's also a brilliant pan-galactic political space adventure spanning twenty-odd years and several planets, with plenty of battle action, seven-foot-tall mutants from Saturn who want to take over everything and a super-mutant who may or may not be a god. What makes it such a stand-out, though, is the quality of the writing; marvellously direct, tight, intelligent prose that's so vividly realistic you feel like you've actually lived through this when you've finished the book. No waffly expositions, no ropey dialogue, stuck-on soppy romance or flowery descriptions; this is the story of a believably real person with real struggles, and it's all gripping action from start to finish, with a thoughtfulness to it that stays with you for years. I can't recommend it enough.

ARRAY(0xb6500e70)

Floating Worlds (S.F. Masterworks)
Floating Worlds (S.F. Masterworks) by Cecelia Holland (Paperback - 8 Dec 2011)
8.99