5.0 out of 5 stars The alpha meets his match
Published on 20 Nov. 2011 by C. Manning

2.0 out of 5 stars As Steptoe would say, "You dirty old man".
Published 11 months ago by naked raisin

5.0 out of 5 stars The alpha meets his match, 20 Nov. 2011
C. Manning (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kiss of Snow: The Psy-Changeling Series (Paperback)
Hawke is the Alpha of the SnowDancer wolf pack and has vowed to stay alone after losing the woman who would have been his mate. Sienna's family was adopted into the pack after abandoning their Psy lives to save her. Hawke is drawn to Sienna but has always managed to resist, until Sienna changes the rules. Sienna isn't a little girl anymore and is prepared to fight for the man she wants, even if she can only keep him for a short while before her Psy powers kill her.

This is the tenth book in the outstanding Psy-Changeling series and finally lets Hawke and Sienna take center stage. Ever since their introduction in the very first book (Slave to Sensation) there has been tension between the two, and now Sienna is an adult there is finally a chance of a relationship. One thing I would say is that if you are new to the series, start at the beginning. There is a lot of world building and character development in each book and this also reveals some of the endings of the previous novels.

I've liked both Sienna and Hawke since the beginning. Sienna has real spark and an attitude, but she's grown from an outspoken teen into a well-rounded confident woman. Hawke is very protective and responsible with a brooding streak. They are surprisingly well suited, and their romance is cleverly developed allowing them to deal with their issues realistically.

The book is really well paced. Sienna's powers as an X-Psy have never been fully explored in the previous books so the revelations here are amazing and keep the pages turning. I only meant to read a few pages and ended up reading the entire book in one sitting. There is also a bonus storyline that I wasn't expecting in this book. Another pair of characters manage to begin a relationship. I don't want to give away who they are, but the different issues between the couple presented a nice contrast to Hawke and Sienna.

As with all of the previous books, part of the storyline is focused on world development. The pro-Silence Pure Psy have decided that San Francisco presents a dangerous resistance to their cause and hope to destroy it, along with the SnowDancer and DarkRiver packs. Unlike the previous book, the romance between Sienna and Hawke doesn't drown out this storyline rather helps it develop.

All in all this was an incredible read and I can't wait for Riaz and Adria's book Tangle of Need.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 9/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 10/10

Overall: 49/50

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 2 Jun. 2011
I've been waiting two years for this book and I really enjoyed it.
Nalini really does know how the write a story full of action, love and tension. I did want to scream at the numerous times the couple were interrupted at the key romantic point though. I got so frustrated I actually wanted to throw the book but It was on my Kindle and my Kindle is my baby. This is the only reason it got 4 stars instead of 5.
What surprised me was the other love story between Walker and Lara running alongside Sienna and Hawke's. Both romances equally sweet and made the book doubly sweet. To see the lonely alpha wolf find his true love was worth the long wait
It was great to find out what the X psi are and see certain story arcs close. I look forward to what comes next in this series because each book gets more interesting and involved. No idea who's next though

4.0 out of 5 stars Kiss of Snow - Hawke's story at last!, 29 Oct. 2011
The story arc between Hawke and Sienna has been building right from the start of the Psy-Changeling series and finally, 10 books later, it's played to its conclusion. And I'm glad it's taken this long. Seeing little snippets of it in all the earlier stories whet my appetite - as well as giving time for Sienna to grow up and for Hawke to realise just how much she means to him.

Changelings only mate once, for life. And as far as Hawke is concerned, his mate died when he was a child. He can never mate again - which means he can never fall in love again. Any woman foolish enough to fall in love with him can only have a part of him. Sienna meanwhile, is one of the rarest of Psy - the Psy-X - with a power so fierce and dangerous that Psy-X rarely live to adulthood. To see Hawke and Sienna finally falling deeply in love, with all the problems they face, is heart wrenching. Add in a backdrop of the war between Psy and Changelings escalating to cruel and violent proportions and you have the makings of a truly epic story.

Some smaller sub-plots are beautiful. The growing romance beween Walker Lauren and Lara, the Snow Dancer healer. The later stages of Sascha's pregnancy. More clues and hints about The Ghost.

And my favourite character of all, Judd Lauren. Swoon. He always steals the show (for me at least!) and in Kiss of Snow we see further glimpses into his shadowy, terrifying past.

With each successive Psy-Changeling novel, I fear that Nalini Singh has reached the end, but thankfully there are more on the horizon. Riaz has a turn next - and I can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kiss of Snow, 26 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Kiss of Snow: The Psy-Changeling Series (Paperback)
Well what a delight. Couldn't put the book down and at the same time didn't want it to end.
Always knew when Hawke and Sienna eventually got together it would be a good story just hoped Nalini Singh would manage it. She came up trumps and delivered this fantastic read.God got to wait how long for the next one?

5.0 out of 5 stars Kiss...., 25 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Kiss of Snow: The Psy-Changeling Series (Paperback)
I'v just finished Kiss of Snow..it was worth waiting for..Hawke always facinated me in the previous books..at first I thought he was going to be a bit of a 'side' character..even though he was alpha of the 'Snow Dancers'..but slowly and surely I fell in love with him.. you wanted things to end up so good for him..he thought he would never mate again.. I loved the way he has teased Lucas with Sacha..she in turn was so sweet with him.. good storyline..but he always wanted Sienna..and boy did she want him even though she was so much younger than him..but good on her she showed her worth..Of course I have read the whole series..and I will/ cannot rate any of them too low because I have loved them all..a couple a 5 rating..a few 4.8..maybe 9..but this book was the icing on the cake..yes the Pys-changeling gets a little confusing at times but stick with it.DO NO MISS THIS SERIES OF BOOKS...also have loved her Archangels series..poss not as much....but def hovering in the 4.65 area....enjoy or miss out..

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!!, 23 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Kiss of Snow: The Psy-Changeling Series (Paperback)
There is no doubting Nalini Singh is one of the best writers in the world. Her Psy series is absolutely fantastic. So far I dont think I have read a book from this series that I did not like.

Kiss of Snow, reveals more of the continuing saga between the changlings and the Psy, and for me, it was the best. I was intrigued, captivated and downright enthralled with this story. I love the way the characters intermingle effortlessly as the plot thickens.

It also was great to see more than one romance blossoming within the story, which delighted me to no end. Some of the other authors I read tend to keep their stories to one mating at a time, which sometimes spoils it a little as the romantic scenes become repetitive.

Well done Nalini, looking forward to the next instalment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kiss of snow, 14 Aug. 2011
I only read book 1 a year ago but it still feels like I have been waiting so long for this book. It was because since the moment Hawke stepped in on the scene I wanted more of him and now my wish came through. Luckily I had the rest of the series to keep my company until then.

I always wondered about Hawke and Sienna's story. The sexual tension has been felt through many books but she is just so young, not to mention that he does not think they have a future since they can't mate. His mate died when they were just kids. The question through out this book then was would they, could they? Because the two obviously wanted each other and feelings ran high. You could cut the tension with a knife.

For those who do not know Hawke or Sienna I will make it short. Hawke is the alpha wolf of The Snow Dancers. He is just so sexy and Sienna is one lucky woman. Sienna is a psy who defected with her family. But she is also an X psy and they do not last long. She will burn out and kill. She is also not yet 20 so there is a big age difference, but then she had to grow up fast since she was trained to be a killer since she was a kid. And they want each other, a lot!

As usual there is the political aspect as some want to take over changeling territory and destroy San Francisco. There are some bad Psy out there and a big battle is coming. And another couple will also dance around each other, you will see when you read it. Some happy news from the Dark River changelings too.

Honestly what more can I say than that Hawke and Sienna's story has to be read. It was great.

Conclusion:
By far the best book in the series so far. The tension, the passion, the will they, wont they, just sucked me right in and would not let go of me. I am quite the Hawke fangirl and I am very satisfied with his book.

Rating:
Hawke and Sienna's book! 'nuff said

4.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the series - Hawke doesn't disappoint, 5 Jun. 2011
I love NS's psy changeling series and I was really looking forward to Hawke and Sienna's story. As the lonely alpha of the Snow Dancers, Hawke has been a key character throughout the series and his "relationship" with Sienna has been brewing for a long time. Its realisation in this book has long been anticipated by fans of the series.

There is great romance and sweet moments in this book, as with all of NS's psy changeling books. Story arcs reach conclusions and some new ones are further established. The war with the psy is more action focused in this book compared to the last one in the series and NS successful weaves Sienna and Hawke's story into the heart of how that conflict ends up being fought.

I was worried that as I was so eager for this book, I would be disappointed as it wouldn't live up to expectation. Happily that wasn't the case and even with work from the office and 2 kids, I read it over the course of one weekend. I was slightly peeved that the romantic action kept getting interrupted and that NS dragged it out until after page 200 for the characters to consummate their relationship - I felt that was toying with the reader too far and hence the 4 star rating rather than 5.

Hawke may be a stubborn, possessive alpha but he is unique amongst this type of character and remained so in this book. It was lovely to get his 1st person view as well as Sienna's on the wolves and leopards. His interaction with Lucas and the cats, as well as "updates" on other characters kept the book interesting and a great read. It's definitely in the top 3 out of the 10 books in this series however, its not as good as Drew and Indigo's story.

A must read for fans of the series but that most likely goes without saying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Psy-Changeling book 10, 5 Nov. 2014
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kiss of Snow: The Psy-Changeling Series (Paperback)
I feel like I've been waiting forever for Hawke's book, I think I pretty much fell for him the moment he was first introduced and every little snippet we've seen of him since then has only cemented him as a firm favourite. So you could definitely say I had high expectations for Kiss of Snow before I read it. Happily it was everything I could have dreamed of and more and it's now my favourite book of the series (until I read the next one anyway!).

As the SnowDancer alpha Hawke has always put his people first. He has lieutenants he can rely on for help but when it comes down to it he shoulders all the responsibility of the pack's safety on his own. The girl who should've been his mate died when they were still children and since then he has always steered clear of proper relationships because he knows he'll never give another woman his heart. Sienna has fascinated both him and his wolf ever since she came to live with the pack but not only is she much younger and less experienced than he is he is also scared that he could hurt her by never being able to give her what she needs.

Sienna is a powerful Psy with an unusual ability, one which comes with a high risk of causing her to self destruct. She has become better at controlling her powers but being around Hawke is the one thing that is guaranteed to cause a flare up. Sienna has wanted Hawke for such a long time but he seems determined to ignore the attraction between them, it's reached a point where Sienna has had enough though and she is determined to push the boundaries and rile him up a bit.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I loved seeing their relationship develop. It's been building for a looooooong time now and their chemistry is absolutely off the charts. I loved seeing Sienna start to really fight for Hawke's attention, she's always pushed his buttons but now she's deliberately poking him with a sharp stick just to get a reaction. Hawke is taken by surprise by how far she is willing to push him but he needs a woman who is capable of standing up to him and Sienna is determined to prove that's her. Their's is a slow build romance, Sienna wants Hawke but is understandably nervous since she's so inexperienced and once Hawke decides to pursue her he pulls out all the stops to make sure she is with him every step of the way. I think I could have died of frustration waiting for them to finally give into temptation but I mean that in the best possible way and it was so, so worth the wait. Hawke was everything I thought he would be and then some which makes Sienna a lucky, lucky girl!

Alongside the fantastic relationship between Hawke and Sienna Kiss of Snow has a lot more to offer. There are some utterly adorable moments between Lucas and Sasha, a wonderful side romance between Lara and Walker and some wonderful Lauren family moments that allow us to spend more time with Judd, Brenna, Drew, Indigo and the Lauren children. Don't even get me started on what the Psy Council are up to and the absolutely heart stopping, action packed final quarter of the story - I was on the edge of my seat and almost too scared to breathe in case I missed something! Nalini Singh is hands down the best author I can think of when it comes to blending multiple plot threads and points of view into a story that is impossible to put down. She manages to include just the right amounts of sweet romance, caring friendships, down and dirty sex, fun banter and almost unbearable tension to create the ultimate reading experience and once again I loved every minute of it!

2.0 out of 5 stars As Steptoe would say, "You dirty old man"., 23 Mar. 2014
Hawke is almost twice Sienna's age. He is a blooded, adult alpha male in charge of the 'most dangerous changeling pack in the world'. She is a headstrong, sulky teenager prone to adolescent angst and temper tantrums. I found their relationship unbelievable, creepy and borderline abusive. I wonder if Nalini Singh had some concerns about this as she repeatedly described Sienna's early experiences as making her older than her years but, I'm afraid, her behaviour for most of the book didn't back this up. Her attitude towards discipiline and Pack hierarchy was appalling, her sense of entitlement due to her Psy talent immature. Similarly, Hawke is described as fighting valiantly against his attraction until Sienna's behaviour becomes so sexualised and aggressive he gives in. She had a crush on a good-looking, powerful man (who hasn't!) but for Hawke to respond put KoS on very dodgy ground for me. I work with survivors of childhood abuse - perhaps this had a bearing on my reaction to this book but I still think my reservations about the central relationship are valid.

Kiss of Snow: The Psy-Changeling Series
Kiss of Snow: The Psy-Changeling Series by Nalini Singh (Paperback - 10 Nov. 2011)