4.0 out of 5 stars Narcs on Pigs!
Published on 28 Dec 2003 by Patrick Shepherd

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped and not as bad as I feared.
People who refuse to acknowlege the Dune prequels, people who won't watch anything but the original Star Trek and people who despise Star Wars' expanded universe...
We've all met them, closed-minded types that they are.
Published on 24 Aug 2002 by Ian Tapley

4.0 out of 5 stars Narcs on Pigs!, 28 Dec 2003
Patrick Shepherd "hyperpat" (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Need a little break from all the horrid seriousness of the day? Then this marvelously inventive parody should hit just the spot. From the hilarious twisted names of Dildo and Frito Bugger, Goodgulf the wizard, Gimlet the dwarf and Legolam the elf to the equally twisted representations of the Boggies in the Sty and the Riders of Roi-Tan and their merino sheep, to the exacting depiction of college life of the Forward, each page will bring a smile, a chuckle, and an outright belly-laugh.
I read Lord of the Rings when it was first published in paperback in 1965, and like many others fell totally in love with Tolkien's marvelous sense of language and incredibly detailed world building. When Bored of the Rings came out in 1969, I immediately grabbed it, as I grabbed everything else remotely dealing with Middle Earth. My shekels were well spent in this case, and I always remember some of these perverted alternative scenes whenever I re-read the original. This book follows the plot line of the original very closely, boiling down the original 1200 pages to this book's 150 and managing to cover every major scene, which is quite a feat.
Clearly though, as a parody, this book is not a stand-alone. Much of its humor derives from the reader's knowledge of the original. It also helps if you're old enough to remember some of the television commercials of the sixties, as otherwise some of the references in this book will pass over your head. There are also some pokes at certain Presidents, TV series, movies, cultural icons, and the hippie and drug-laced counter-culture of the day.
Like many good things, this book is best devoured in small bites, a few pages a day, stopping before your humor-detector collapses from over-stimulation. A great way to relax for a few minutes at the end of the day.
--- Reviewed by Patrick Shepherd (hyperpat)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outrageously funny!, 11 Mar 2004
Kurt A. Johnson (Marseilles, IL USA) - See all my reviews
In this outrageous parody of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, we get to follow the preposterous antics of an unbelievable group of misfits out to unmake a ring, and destroy an evil power. Goodgulf the wizard leads Frito, Spam, Moxie, Pepsi, Stomper the Ranger (he has many names), Bromosel, Gimlet the dwarf and Legolam the elf across Lower Middle Earth, as they dodge the evil pig-riding Nozdrul, foul Narcs and other baddies, on their way to dark Fordor.
As you can tell from the summary above, this book is not to be taken seriously! It is outrageously funny! Can a reader ever forget the four boggies meeting with the wild Tom Benzedrine and his magical lady Hashberry? No! Indeed, hardly a RPG session passes when one of us does not quote from this hilarious tome: "'Then we must head east,' said Goodgulf gesturing with his wand to where the sun was setting redly in a mass of sea-clouds."
This book is laugh-out-loud funny, and should be read by every fan of the great Tolkien. I recommend it wholeheartedly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy! Buy! Buy!, 25 Oct 2003
I purchased the original print of "Bored Of The Rings" from Forbidden Planet in London some 17 years ago. Fans of the Great Work will love it, as will newcomers who have seen the films but not yet read the book. Bored of the Rings is a well-executed genuine parody that stands by itself. While it bases itself on and pokes fun at a similarly named book, it is well-executed and extremely entertaining. Miss this re-print at your peril. PS, Dune fans should check out National Lampoon's "Doon". Fancy a beer?

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Bleedin' Marvellous!, 26 May 2004
Cartimand (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
As soon as I saw the featureless area of the Bored of the Rings Map labelled "The Flat Mountains", I was hooked!
This achingly funny send-up of Lord of the Rings pokes merciless fun at a genre that perhaps takes itself a tad too seriously.
There is a laugh-out-loud moment on almost every page and, whilst the terminally humourless LOTR addicts will no doubt scream heresy, it merely made me appreciate the enduring qualities of Tolkien's masterpiece all the more.
Whilst a few of the gags are a bit long in the tooth and hark back to Nixon era politics the majority are still as fresh and relevant today.
I guarantee you will not regret buying this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outrageously funny!, 2 Nov 2005
Kurt A. Johnson (Marseilles, IL USA) - See all my reviews
As you can tell from the summary above, this book is not to be taken seriously! It is outrageously funny! Can a reader ever forget the four boggies meeting with the wild Tom Benzedrine and his magical lady Hashberry? No! Indeed, hardly a RPG session passes when one of us does not quote from this hilarious tome: "`Then we must head east,' said Goodgulf gesturing with his wand to where the sun was setting redly in a mass of sea-clouds."

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it or hate it?, 4 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This seems to be a book that people either love or hate, but maybe it depends on whether you read Tolkien first, or "Bored of the Rings" first.
I discovered this book by accident in someone else's library, before ever hearing about Tolkien... and loved it so much I went on to read "The Hobbit" and LOTR, and am eternally grateful to "Bored of the Rings" for pointing the way.
Sure, the LOTR trilogy is an "impressive, truly masterful work of genius and imagination," the best piece of literature in the English language if you ask me, but even so, I consider "Bored of the Rings" to be a comic masterpiece, and one of my favorite books.
I only wish they would put out another edition with the original cover illustration. A hardback edition would be nice also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally flawless, 3 Feb 1999
By A Customer
"This ring, no other, was made by the elves, who'd pawn their own mother to grab it themselves..."
This was so good that I can't choose between it and the original. It's not only the funniest book I have ever read -- it beats the Hitchhikers' Guide series hands down -- I believe it's the funniest thing that I have ever seen anywhere. If you say that Tolkien is not to be mocked, then read the back. "Those who approve of courtesy to a certain author will not touch this gobbler with a ten foot battle lance." Says it all, doesn't it.
If you enjoyed Lord, then you'll love Bored. You probably will hate it if you're a Tolkienologist, but if you can appreciate parody, get this book. It's simply hilarious. I could praise it all day, but that would cut into your reading time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped and not as bad as I feared., 24 Aug 2002
Ian Tapley "thefragrantwookiee" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
We've all met them, closed-minded types that they are.
Tolkien's fantasy masterwork also has such a cult of purists (the types who want Elvish to be part of the school curriculum). These people should avoid this book at all costs lest we have to listen to them whining about the desecration of LOTR.
Anyone who likes a bit of harmless (and often senseless) fun should have a look, particularly people who liked such irreverant parodies as 'Spaceballs' or 'Hotshots'.
The story of the book very much follows LOTR, with just a few poor variations on the names of places. But it's grace in taking apart Tolkien's conceits is wonderful. Of particular amusement is the seamless way in which the complacent Hobbits become the cowardly and self-centred Boggies.
I'll freely admit that this book is flawed (hence 3 stars), with it's lack of originality, it's unimaginitive prose and it's all too pathetic fart jokes. But having said that, there are also some works of comic genius that made me chuckle out loud. For instance the way in which Goodgulf demonstrates his great power by pulling rabbits out of his hat or the bit where, instead of being stopped from capturing the Ringbearer by a magic river (as in LOTR), the wraiths (who ride large pigs incidentaly) are foiled by a particularly expensive toll bridge.
So, if you want a few laughs at the expense of the literary institution that is Lord Of The Rings then give this book a glance and take a trip to the Zazu pits of Fordor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not big, not clever, extremely funny, 1 May 2002
By A Customer
Well actually Bored of the Rings is clever. Clever enough not be too respectful of Tolkien's masterpiece (and make no mistake the original is a masterpiece - for all its faults). Clever enough to realise that being silly and rude about a book that is revered is exactly the point.
I first read this book when I was at college and that early American paperback became extremely tattered as it was passed around a group of friends. I remembered that when I saw this new edition and was delighted to find it still makes me laugh out loud. Now it may be that I just haven't grown up in the intervening 20 years but it may also be that Bored of the Rings is a genuinely funny book. A masterpiece as well in its own little way. '"Die" suggested Spam.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Still funny after 15 years, 31 Jan 2004
Steve Homer (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book a lifetime ago. Each time I have moved house I have retreived it from the packing cases and read it again. Sometimes silly, sometimes obvious and very school boy humour debunking the LOTR stiff shirts on every page. At a time when the LOTR films have started to breed the same group of bores that the Prof. T books used attract this is a great read for those of us who loved the story but didn't care about the hidden meanings of life. - If you are a LOTR bore don't read this !!! - For the rest of us mortals if you get the sudden urge to wear a green jumper, grow a beard or smoke roll-ups and learn to speak elvish - this is the perfect antedote.

ARRAY(0xa6b42960)

Bored Of The Rings
Bored Of The Rings by The Harvard Lampoon (Hardcover - 20 Jan 2011)
Used & New from: 12.33