4.0 out of 5 stars Complex morbid read
Complex book with multiple plot lines

Makes one concentrate on what's going on.

Characters are occasionally unbelievable . Some themes from his other books can be seen here.
Published 15 days ago by John Balazs

3.0 out of 5 stars An older work - not up to his recent very high standards
Published on 29 Mar 2011 by John Tierney

3.0 out of 5 stars An older work - not up to his recent very high standards, 29 Mar 2011
John Tierney (Wirral, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Necroville (Paperback)
I rushed to buy this as soon as I saw it had been released in paperback but was very disappointed. I think that both River of Dreams (India in 2047) and The Dervish House (Istanbul in 2027) were excellent books - highly imaginative, well written and extremely satisfying, intelligent science fiction. In addition McDonald's short science fiction written in the past decade as also been very good (e.g. his stories set in the same future as River of Dreams). So I had high hopes for Necroville.
Set in the Los Angeles of 2063 this book imagines a world where nanotechnology has allowed the dead to be resurrected, time and again if necessary. The plot weaves the stories of 5 twenty-somethings who have various involvements with significant events concerning the dead and how they are rebelling against their second-class status. What I couldn't work out for the first 200 pages is why this book is nowhere near as well written as River of Dreams and The Dervish House. It wasn't till I flicked back to the publication page to find that this is a 1994 book, republished in 2011 (the review I read failed to mention this). I've tried a couple of other early McDonald works and they couldn't maintain my interest either. I somewhat rushed the next 100 pages and almost skipped through the final 54, although I think it was the fact that I knew this wasn't a "new" book that did for my interest.
There are some good ideas here and I dithered between 2 and 3 stars for this review and went for 3 based on those good ideas, but it was a close run thing. The plot is confusing at times and the prose nowhere near as carefully crafted as the two books I've mentioned earlier - try one or both of them if you haven't read any of his work before. This is not the place to start.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complex morbid read, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Necroville (Kindle Edition)
Complex book with multiple plot lines

Makes one concentrate on what's going on.

Necroville
Necroville by Ian McDonald (Paperback - 10 Mar 2011)
7.16