5.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge this book by its cover
How exactly should you judge a book if not by it's cover?

Published on 6 Nov. 2012 by T. Edwards

1.0 out of 5 stars 16.99 for a tbp?
This novel was originally going to come out as a hardcover for 16.99 so it is a bit dishonest to advise that you are getting a saving when you are paying the usual tbp price. And yes the author wanted a hardcover but publishers computer said !!.....otherwise a brilliant series
Published on 15 Dec. 2012 by alek

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge this book by its cover, 6 Nov. 2012
T. Edwards - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Night of the Swarm (Chathrand Voyage 4) (Paperback)
How exactly should you judge a book if not by it's cover?

'Night of the Swarm' sounds like the title of a trashy 50's monster movie and Les Edwards' cover art is reminiscent of pulp fantasy fiction from the 70's. There is nothing about this cover that let's you know what treasures lie within. Obviously the other reviews won't convince you: mine is the first. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

I found the first book in this cycle,'The Redwolf Conspiracy' (you'll want to start with that one) in a box full of fantasy and sci-fi left to me by a departed friend. From that box, that was the last book I tried because it looked no more promising than 'Night of the Swarm.' As it turned out, it didn't suck. In fact, by about halfway through, I was pleasantly surprised to realise that it was actually very good. Well written and, a real rarity this, highly original.

I quickly ordered the next volume, 'The Rats of the Ruling Sea' and found that it was not only just as good as the first volume but better! Better still, because on top of the foundation laid by the first book, something truly remarkable was being built. Midway through, like an ealborate domino run, a scene that had been building for a book and half was set off and, for the length of a hundred pages or so, I was treated to the most breathtaking and exciting passage of text I have ever read. This was when Robert V S Redick elbowed his way into the company of my favourite authors (Kurt Vonnegut, Neal Stephenson, John Steinbeck, Kim Stanley Robinson, Cormac McCarthy, Ursula LeGuin, John Connolly, Tom Wolfe and Brandon Sanderson, in case you're interested: I like the fantasy and sci-fi genres but I'm interested in quality wherever I find it).

Luckily I didn't have long to wait until 'The River of Shadows' was published and saw the story continue to build, towering high now and casting a long shadow over its better known neighbours.

So what exactly is it that I like about these books?

The author performs that rare trick of balancing the large scale and the small. He offers a grand cast of characters that are each alive and unique. Some of them are fit to rub shoulders with literature's greatest, though who would survive a meeting between the captains Rose and Ahab, I wonder?

The world he builds sprawls across oceans and continents. Its history, its races, and its ecologies are not quite as rich as Tolkien's (let's be realistic here) but broader and deeper by far than most. The world is no Tolkien clone either, but something quite uniqueand full of wonders: closer perhaps to the worlds of Sheri Tepper (but without the femi - Nazi overtones) or some peculiar mash up of Charles Dickens and a deadly serious Dr Seuss.

The plot, beginning with the little intrigues of individuals, gradually zooms out to reveal a larger and larger narrative. Conspiracies are found nested within greater conspiracies that finally unfold to something truly epic, without ever losing sight of the small details of the primaries. And it's always surprising. The obvious avenues are never taken but instead radical and unpredictable plot developments abound with the effect that you are drawn further and further from the bleak shores of complacency and into the deep lively waters of constant discovery.

And all this conveyed by seamless prose that effortlessly conjures romance, mystery, excitement, humour, horror and wonder after wonder.

I've waited impatiently for 'The Night of the Swarm' and finally it's here and I find my joy alloyed with uncertainty. There is a serious problem with this book: it's going to end. I want to read more, not because it's a junk food page turner, no, the prose is gourmet standard that can be savoured and mulled over. I just want to spend more time in this world with these characters. But if I do, the end will come too soon. What to do? Hope that Redick has plans for another book, I suppose.

So trust me on this. Don't be put off by the cover. Take a chance. There are some great books out there. This is better than most of them.

And just so you know: there are no obvious typos in the paperback edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars So many typos!, 8 Nov. 2012
This is my second review of this book (the kindle edition). The first I wrote in haste while I was angry, and after considering it (and some wonderful responses from the publishers) I wanted to rewrite it.

Here goes.

First off, this was a great end to my very favourite series. I don't think it was quite as good as the previous books, but the final climax was fantastic and I adored the very last pages. There's nothing I can say without spoiling anyone who hasn't read it, so I can only encourage you to go read it yourself!

However - I suggest buying the paperback, or waiting for the US Kindle edition (available in February). As a book, this is a wonderful book. As a product, it leaves a lot to be desired. The UK Kindle edition is riddled with typos and formatting issues (which were the cause of my ire in my original review). There are missing speech marks, paragraphs merged together or randomly broken, random line breaks, missing letters, and every 'fl' has been replaced with 'R'. Every time a sentence begins with a 'th' word ('the', 'that', 'they' etc) the 'th' is missing, too.

I should mention, though, that a member of Orion publishers did contact me, and I have been assured that they are horrified and looking into the problem. Hopefully they will have it fixed soon.

In conclusion - great book. Just, for the moment, go for the paperback.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Night of the Swarm, 3 Jan. 2015
Keen Reader "lhendry4" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Wow, that was a mammoth four-book excursion. It's taken me a while to work my way through all the volumes in The Chathrand Voyage Series - not because they were bad, or boring. Not at all - the first one was a rollercoaster of a sea voyage on a new world, old and populated with people from all lands and places. The second continued that mad sea voyage, the Chathrand its own microcosm of the bad and the good, the noble and the horrible. And the third took us back onto land; but what a land, the land south of the Ruling Sea, where yet stranger peoples and animals dwelt, and where the chase after Arunis came to its conclusion. But the story was by no means over, for in Arunis's last moments he released the Swarm, which now threatens the entire world; and the Nilstone still exists, and Macadra will stop at nothing to get it.

The four books in this series total nearly 2500 pages - and that's why it's taken me a while - I wanted, before tackling each volume, to have sufficient time to devote myself to the book, to sink into the world so fully populated and cleverly created by the author. I'm just sorry that, after having spent so much time absorbed in this wonderful tale, it all now seems to be over. But perhaps the author is writing more - we can only hope?

I thoroughly enjoyed this series. The author has created a world unlike anything that I have read about before, in this world or any other imagined world. There are great lands, vast swathes of peoples, strange creatures, evil and good. And there is tradition, culture, history and great age built into this world that the author has laid before us. This last volume takes us back through the Ruling Sea to Alifros, chasing the Swarm, and outrunning Arunis's last mad scheme, and the evil Macadra with the Nilstone; can Hercol, Pazel, Thasha, Fiffengurt, and all the rest of the Chathrand crew ever hope to save the world? Fantastic - I'm so glad I found this series, and I have totally enjoyed this whole series. I hope for more from the author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Ending, 10 Nov. 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Night of the Swarm (Chathrand Voyage 4) (Paperback)
As a huge fan of fantasy, this series of Robert Redick's has been a constant companion for a few years now. So it was with great sadness when I learned that this was to be the concluding part as the characters have gone on to feel like friends and with the final part, all bets are off.

What unfurled within is a story that has a lot of impact as the tale wends its way to its finale, it has great prose, some wonderful dialogue and when added to the authors creative mind alongside writing really makes this a cracking conclusion. Thank you Robert.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary conclusion to a great series, 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Night of the Swarm (Chathrand Voyage 4) (Paperback)
I'm hoping to write a longer & more detailed review when I get the chance. For the moment, I just want to say that this book concludes the Chathrand Voyage Quartet most brilliantly. There are scenes of heartbreak, but also of hope and even triumph, and so many, many wonders along the way. If you loved the earlier books you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars The voyage concludes, 20 Nov. 2012
The mighty tale of the Chathrand concludes with this volume. It has been an epic read with multiple plot lines and characters to keep in mind. The story ends with several loose ends still floating around - could there be a sequel to follow? I read all four volumes over a period of three weeks so obviously a page turner but sometimes I felt the "get out of jails" were a bit too simplistic. However, if you have read the first three books, it's worth buying this one.
The Kindle version must have been rushed out as there were several annoying typos in the text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed the conclusion to this series, 30 Jun. 2014
Really enjoyed the conclusion to this series. Interesting and likeable characters, multi-stranded plot, fairly fast moving. A bit dissatisfied that not all storylines were resolved, and don't like the time paradoxes that you get when integrating glimpses of the future into the narrative, but generally a very good example of the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars A consistently brilliant fantasy quadrology, 14 Mar. 2015
I'm more of a science fiction than a fantasy fan, but I'm glad I tried out this consistently brilliant series. Redick is my new favourite author.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read., 2 April 2013
This review is from: The Night of the Swarm (Chathrand Voyage 4) (Paperback)
Very entertaining but difficult to focus on which age group it is aimed at, if any. A cross between scifi and adventure?

4.0 out of 5 stars Yep, read 'em all, 6 Jun. 2014
I'm not going to give individual reviews for each of the books in this series because it would take me too long to say what I loved about it. But it's worth reading the lot if you like great fantasy.

The Night of the Swarm (Chathrand Voyage 4)
The Night of the Swarm (Chathrand Voyage 4) by Robert V.S. Redick (Paperback - 25 Oct. 2012)