5.0 out of 5 stars Oh yes, this is wonderful
Wonderful. Literally wonderful, in the sense that it is full of wonders.

At my age (72) it is increasingly hard to find novels that I actually want to read, and even harder to find novels which I don't give up on after perhaps 50 pages. But this one works all right.

Provided, of course, you know what to expect, and like what you are led to expect...
Published on 7 Jun 2011 by Michael Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars No, I didn't like this one as much.
The first book in this series, Rivers of London, positively made me sit up and take notice. This second book, not so much. There were many areas which did not satisfy me. This turns out to be a cliffhanger which will obviously be carried forward into a third book. Aaronovitch ended up one aspect of the story but left the remainder open.

Detective Constable...
Published on 18 May 2011 by J. Lesley

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but a little predictable, 30 Nov 2011
I've read Rivers of London and now Moon over Soho and whilst the first started out strong the second became very quickly Hogwarts for kids. I can see why Charlaine Harris endorses this book - it's a lot like True Blood with its increasingly panopoly of gods, demons and fairies. And for that reason I probably won't read another. Very nice read but it doesn't get the heart racing, not very funny and doesn't make you think.

4.0 out of 5 stars second sight, 23 Nov 2011
This review is from: Moon Over Soho: 2 (Rivers of London 2) (Paperback)
This is the 2nd book in the series and I am enjoying things so far. As the blurb says, bit like a cross between a detective story and harry potter.

5.0 out of 5 stars London rivers roll on, 15 Nov 2011
This review is from: Moon Over Soho: 2 (Rivers of London 2) (Paperback)
Excellent sequel to London Rivers. The author knows London very well and it comes across in his writing.
The background romance is kept alive with a visit to her home and her insights help whilst he is battling around the London jazz scene, even though she is still recovering for the whole of the book.
Trying not to give anything away whilst stressing how much I enjoyed this and the previous book.
Look forward to the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even darker, even faster paced, and even more wry, brilliant!, 11 Sep 2011
Kristin "I read so I don't kill people!" (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This book proves that the Author wasnt just a one hit wonder with Rivers of London. This book is again the fast moving, character full life of a not quite normal London bobby, who happens to be half of the Met's paranormal investiagtion team. The main characters are back, and this time with Jazz thrown into the mix. Thankfully they have kept the same reader as before for the Audible version, as he was so believable I in the last book I dont think anyone else would have worked.

A wonderful synergy of fantasy, audio, and a cracking good paranormal crime novel, with lots of sarcasm thrown in for good measure. This isnt a book for listening to with the kids, but it isnt chock full of cringe worthy sex either, just some good scary, and a bit gory, descriptive parts. I hope to see more of the same from the Author, and cant but hope someone will want to make this into a TV series! Well done ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampires in the West End., 4 July 2011
Mr. A. M. Provasoli (Gibraltar.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moon Over Soho (Hardcover)
This is the second book in a quite original series and should be an interesting read for those who are looking for something new.

The setting is present day London and, more specifically, the area in and around Covent Garden, Soho and Russell Square.

The protagonist is a police officer who has the "gift". He can see ghosts. As a result he joins a special department in the police force that has been set up to deal with the criminal use of the occult.

He becomes a trainee magician learning the ropes and making the inevitable mistakes. His superior (Master) is resposible for teaching him the art and, in turn, has been made responsible by his superiors for the consequences.

The story involves a group of survivors of a bombing raid on London during the Second World War. However, the survivors do not seem to have aged and are feeding off the "spiritual" strength that is found in jazz. The connection with the protagonist is that his father was a respected jazz musician who has some time back pressed the self-destruct button.

The subplot involves a black magician indulging in genetic engineering of the worst kind and it is obvious that the fight between good and evil will continue into the next volume.

You must however read the books in sequence.

The first is "Rivers of London".

3.0 out of 5 stars Jazz vampires over Soho, 30 Jun 2011
Philip Walker (London - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moon Over Soho (Hardcover)
This sequel to the fantastic rivers of London had a lot to live up to, and it did so thanks to the second half of the book being attention grabbing and full of detail. I did struggle with the first half though and I almost gave up, I found the setting up of the story to be drab and boring and at times pointless.

If you keep faith and wade through the tiring beginning, you get to a fast paced story, which is good, and gripping, but somewhat predictable. I had figured out the way the story was heading quite early on.

A good fun read, a bit saucy at times, perhaps just a bit too much so! The sex scenes are quite graphic and I don't think they add anything to the story, and seem a bit clumsy.

Good effort, not a scratch on Rivers of London though. Looking forward to the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moon over Soho, 27 Jun 2011
This review is from: Moon Over Soho (Hardcover)
This book is fantastic - brillantly written and impossible to put down. Not only is it very clever but funny too and a must for anyone who despairs of political correctness in all its forms. I can't wait for the next one!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 July 2014
Brilliant book could not put it down

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book., 1 Aug 2014
This review is from: Moon Over Soho: 2 (Rivers of London 2) (Paperback)
Good book arrived quickly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't do it for me like Rivers of London did, 17 May 2011
I seem to feel the same way as the reviewer Jacqueline. I had read, and loved, Rivers of London, so much so that I recommended it to loads of other people. When I first bought Moon over Soho I wondered whether I needed more of a gap between the books and in hindsight, I think I did. This book picks up from where Rivers of London left off, but because it is trying to work as a stand-alone, there are quite a lot of sections where Aaronovitch has to explain concepts to new readers, leaving those of us who had read the first book in the series either yawning, or skim-reading. I also find that at times, the author goes just a little too far and introduces drama which isn't quite needed. At the end of the book we have a helicopter that almost crashes, then doesn't, in amongst some fantastic characters and some amazing magic being performed. I didn't quite see the point of the helicopter almost crashing and the fact that one minute it was careering down to the ground out of control, and the next the pilot managed to save it, all seemed a bit far fetched and unnecessary. And there were lots of things in the book that I felt similarly unnecessary, over-egging what is already a fantastic storyline in the true sense of the word. I also found that this book lacked some of the humour in Rivers of London. I loved the Nigerian Mother Thames who lived in the East End with her posse around her, and in this book the new characters weren't as funny.

Like Jacqueline, I am wondering whether to buy the next book in the series because once again we're going to have to drag our way through quite a lot of induction stuff for new readers before we get to the meat of the story. Maybe I will, but this time I'm going to leave a year or so between books.

Moon Over Soho: 2 (Rivers of London 2)
Moon Over Soho: 2 (Rivers of London 2) by Ben Aaronovitch (Paperback - 13 Oct 2011)
4.47