5.0 out of 5 stars Worth struggling with the brick-sized tome...
A health warning comes with this book - it is a beast at just over a 1000 pages. So if you enjoy curling up in bed with your fav read, you may have to rethink how you hold/balance this breeze block edition - I know I did.

Published on 13 Oct 2011 by sjhigbee

3.0 out of 5 stars way of kings
slow to get going....only in part 2 does it all start to come together. that said the author does say that it was supposed to be 1 volume. however, at the end of part 2 you're only just getting moving and part 3 could be years away
Published on 16 Aug 2011 by sb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth struggling with the brick-sized tome..., 13 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Way of Kings Part One: The Stormlight Archive Book One: 1 (Paperback)

It is a mark of Sanderson's writing skill that I was held throughout this monster - huge tomes of high fantasy are not high on my list of favourite reads, and I picked this up fully expecting to get about halfway through and then lose interest. It has certainly happened with other popular fantasy writers - including George R.R. Martin. However, effective characterisation isn't Sanderson's only strength. His world is fascinating. I loved the landscape, complete with original ecology and unusual wildlife - as well as a complicated, tortuous history and conflicting religious beliefs.

While I may have to get some serious weight training in before attempting the sequel when it comes out, I'm definitely going to track it down - although I'm not promising I'll get right to the end of this ten part series. However, this intriguing, complex story has lodged in my head and despite the fact that I am now more than halfway through another excellent, enjoyable book since I completed 'The Way of Kings', I often find myself thinking about the world and the protagonists. Who knows - Sanderson may be the author who thoroughly converts me to joining the ranks of epic fantasy fandom!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good start, 10 Sep 2011
Read this after reading the Mistborn Trilogy - which has turned into one of my fave fantasy reads of the last few years. This is totally different both in scope and characterisation. Fantastically exciting start which does slow in places but still gripping as Sanderson ensures you know all the main characters inside out. Looking foward to the 2nd part and the subsequent volumes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 24 Jun 2014
Allison Coe (Inverness) - See all my reviews
If you find this a little slow to get going, please do not get put off - I am an avid reader of fantasy and this is one of the best and most memorable books that I have ever read. The sequels are just as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly original, extremely well written - fantastic book, 20 Aug 2013
Mr. Duncan Macfarlane (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This is possibly the best fantasy book i've read and certainly the most original. The world and the races, creatures, cultures, languages, history and even weather and climate are all highly original, convincing and well thought out. While most modern fantasy is derivative of Tolkien, Sanderson creates a very different and wholly original world.

The characters are highly believable and complex. In some ways it's also like a fantasy detective novel, leaving you guessing at the full story and history which you gradually learn as you read. Each chapter is written from the point of view of a different character, as in George R.R. Martin's books, but Sanderson, while writing just as well as Martin in this book, doesn't have Martin's annoying habit of going into endless detail over minor and largely irrelevant details ; and the death count among the major characters isn't quite so depressing.

While in Martin's books you're wondering who is going to survive, in Sanderson's you're trying to guess what exactly is going on and what the history and future of each character, kingdom and the world will be ; and unlike in Martin's books the characters who are most admirable aren't always doomed to be brought down by their own honour, honesty and lack of sufficient deviousness and ruthlessness - it's more complicated than that. (Not that i'm doing down Martin here - his characters are complex and often change in surprising but believable ways - when they live long enough)

And unlike in Martin's books Sanderson's heroes are not all from powerful noble families - much of it looks at things from the point of view of the lowest and most exploited members of societies and their struggle to survive and improve things for everyone in their situation.

I actually put this book down and didn't bother finishing reading it the first time I started reading it because I just didn't like the first couple of chapters, thinking it was going to be about some invincible warrior who couldn't be defeated - and so quite dull. When I did finally read past that I realised what a fantastic book it was though and couldn't put it down.

There were one or two things that I wasn't sure were 100% believable even within the logic of the world, but these were minor points and this is still a fantastic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING., 12 May 2013
Absolutely captivated.. In fact I'm not sure why I'm sat here typing... I ought to be finishing the book!

Brandon Sanderson is an absolute genius. I fell in love with the Mistborn series and was quite apprehensive to start the stormlight archive, but it does not dissapoint- the decade that went into planning the series seems worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 11 Jan 2013
Picked this up just from looking at the cover, started to read in the shop and could not put it down. Not since David Gemmell's DRuss The Legand has a book captured everything i like in a story, awsome on part 2 now just cant get enough...EPIC!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Epic Start, 18 April 2012
This book is Epic in every sense of the word. It has different worlds, great characters that are both likeable and memorable, and a fantastic system of magical cultures. There are multiple layers that in less able hands would be muddled and confusing, but which Sanderson handles with ease. The premise is truly awe-inspiring, and promises much exciting action for the novels still to come. The book's size means you have to dedicate serious reading-time to it, but the complexity of the plot needs this anyway. The writing is brilliant too - calling to mind a new fantasy author I read recently, Cas Peace. The language she uses in her first novel, KING'S ENVOY, borders on the lyrical, and her handling of a rich plot and fascinating characters reminded me of Sanderson. I'm convinced she's an author to watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly good, 27 Mar 2012
**This review was written for both parts of the paperback version of the The Way of Kings**

One of the most buzzed about releases of 2010, The Way of Kings is the first in a projected ten book series called the Stormlight Archive. And to be honest, I wasn't planning on starting this series, not until there were at least several instalments of the book out and a reasonable chance of the series being finished. Because, let's face it, big name epic fantasy series running over a trilogy are challenged these days - *cough* George R.R. Martin *cough* Peter V. Brett *cough* Scott Lynch *cough* - not the least of which is The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, which Sanderson is finishing after Jordan's far-too-early

Brandon Sanderson and I at FP
passing. In fact, the only series of the same doorstopper scope and number finished in recent years is Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. So, no wonder I was hesitant to start another series, no? And then we visited London last year and, completely unexpectedly, had the chance to attend a signing by Sanderson for the paperback edition of The Way of Kings at Forbidden Planet. And having gotten the paperbacks signed and at home, of course I had to read them, regardless of any reservations. And I read both parts of the paperbacks back to back over the course of five days, so that should be an indication of how much I enjoyed this book.

The Way of Kings is a fascinating work, mixing several different viewpoints into a whole that reads like the epic fantasy of old. Combine this with some excellent battle scenes, political intrigue and an interesting magic system and Sanderson definitely had my attention. Before I turn my attention to the story, a bit about the physical copies themselves. The original hardback has been split into two paperbacks, due to length. All the chapter headings are illuminated with lovely headers and each has a sort of badge with identifies from whose perspective this chapter is written. Interspersed throughout the book are illustrations of sketches, purportedly taken from Shallan's sketchbook, maps and other relevant documents which enrich the story and were very pretty to boot.

Sanderson is known for his world building chops. It is no wonder then that The Way of Kings is filled to the brim with world building, without being overtly info-dumped. From the little epigraphs at the start of most chapters, to Shallan's research into the origins of the Plains war, to Kaladin's flashback chapters, Sanderson manages to give us a grounding in the history of Roshar. One of the world building aspects that garners Sanderson a lot of praise is his magic system. However, it doesn't take so much of a front seat in The Way of Kings as I'd expected. Yes, there are some magic workers, such as the White assassin, who can defy gravity, and the Princess Jasnah, who works a magic named Soulcasting and of course there's the magic of the ancients that produced the artefacts called Shardblades and Shardplates. But none of these is actually explained.

There are seven viewpoints throughout the five parts that make up the book. Four of these are the main points of view: Kaladin, a slave/soldier who is leader of one of the bridge crews in Dalinar's army, Shallan, a young girl seeking to learn at Princess Jasnah's feet, Dalinar, uncle to the king and one of his main commanders and Adolin, Dalinar's son. The three others only have a few chapters to their names: Navani, the Dowager Queen, Szeth, the White assassin and Wit, the King's jester. In addition there are several characters who have points of view only once in the interludes. While I found all four of the main point of view characters sympathetic, my favourite has to be Kaladin. He's the one we spend the most time with and I'd argue he's was the true heart of at least this first book of the Stormlight Archive. He's clever, resourceful and a consummate soldier, who cares deeply for the welfare of his men, even if they are considered nothing but the lowest rabble in the army and plain cannon fodder during plateau assaults.

I really enjoyed The Way of Kings, admittedly more than I'd expected to. I know this isn't a very in-depth review for the very hefty tome that these two paperbacks make up, but a combination of pregnancy brain and having read this book over six months ago - it's one of the first backlogged books due to my being sick in the early part of my pregnancy - make that I don't really feel qualified to say more on this book. If you'd like to read some more in-depth reviews, you can find some at The Wertzone, Stomping on Yeti or The Speculative Scotsman's review at Strange Horizons. All that is left for me to say is that I'll definitely be around to see where Sanderson takes Kaladin, Shallan and the rest in the next book, which is tentatively scheduled for early 2013. Let's hope that after Sanderson finishes A Memory of Light, the final Wheel of Time book, he'll be able to dedicate himself fully to the Stormlight Archive and we won't have to wait as long between books, as we know that he's a very quick and prolific writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely good, 27 Mar 2012
This is top-notch fantasy, right up there with the best. The world is full of detail and feels right. There are some nice new ideas but they don't feel too whacky or contrived. The writing is very good and the characters are engaging. I really really enjoyed this and thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic!, 30 Aug 2014
B. Turner (UK) - See all my reviews
A fabulous world, brilliantly brought to life by a great author. Kaladin and Shallan are epic characters. You can get more from other reviews ...I just wanted to add my 5 stars to the acclaim!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Way of Kings Part One: The Stormlight Archive Book One: 1
The Way of Kings Part One: The Stormlight Archive Book One: 1 by Brandon Sanderson (Paperback - 26 May 2011)