5.0 out of 5 stars Worth struggling with the brick-sized tome...
A health warning comes with this book - it is a beast at just over a 1000 pages. So if you enjoy curling up in bed with your fav read, you may have to rethink how you hold/balance this breeze block edition - I know I did.

Published on 13 Oct 2011 by sjhigbee

3.0 out of 5 stars way of kings
slow to get going....only in part 2 does it all start to come together. that said the author does say that it was supposed to be 1 volume. however, at the end of part 2 you're only just getting moving and part 3 could be years away
Published on 16 Aug 2011 by sb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth struggling with the brick-sized tome..., 13 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Way of Kings Part One: The Stormlight Archive Book One: 1 (Paperback)

It is a mark of Sanderson's writing skill that I was held throughout this monster - huge tomes of high fantasy are not high on my list of favourite reads, and I picked this up fully expecting to get about halfway through and then lose interest. It has certainly happened with other popular fantasy writers - including George R.R. Martin. However, effective characterisation isn't Sanderson's only strength. His world is fascinating. I loved the landscape, complete with original ecology and unusual wildlife - as well as a complicated, tortuous history and conflicting religious beliefs.

While I may have to get some serious weight training in before attempting the sequel when it comes out, I'm definitely going to track it down - although I'm not promising I'll get right to the end of this ten part series. However, this intriguing, complex story has lodged in my head and despite the fact that I am now more than halfway through another excellent, enjoyable book since I completed 'The Way of Kings', I often find myself thinking about the world and the protagonists. Who knows - Sanderson may be the author who thoroughly converts me to joining the ranks of epic fantasy fandom!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good start, 10 Sep 2011
Read this after reading the Mistborn Trilogy - which has turned into one of my fave fantasy reads of the last few years. This is totally different both in scope and characterisation. Fantastically exciting start which does slow in places but still gripping as Sanderson ensures you know all the main characters inside out. Looking foward to the 2nd part and the subsequent volumes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 14 Aug 2011
Amazing book. Im a fan of the fantasy / tolkien / etc world.

And Sanderson really writes it perfectly. Can not wait for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
perfect for what i wanted and arrived in good time

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 24 Jun 2014
Allison Coe (Inverness) - See all my reviews
If you find this a little slow to get going, please do not get put off - I am an avid reader of fantasy and this is one of the best and most memorable books that I have ever read. The sequels are just as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars GENIUS, 4 Jan 2014
GENIUS, is all I can say!! Although I failed my exam because I couldn't put the book down for A WEEK consequently losing precious studying time!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly original, extremely well written - fantastic book, 20 Aug 2013
Mr. Duncan Macfarlane (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This is possibly the best fantasy book i've read and certainly the most original. The world and the races, creatures, cultures, languages, history and even weather and climate are all highly original, convincing and well thought out. While most modern fantasy is derivative of Tolkien, Sanderson creates a very different and wholly original world.

The characters are highly believable and complex. In some ways it's also like a fantasy detective novel, leaving you guessing at the full story and history which you gradually learn as you read. Each chapter is written from the point of view of a different character, as in George R.R. Martin's books, but Sanderson, while writing just as well as Martin in this book, doesn't have Martin's annoying habit of going into endless detail over minor and largely irrelevant details ; and the death count among the major characters isn't quite so depressing.

While in Martin's books you're wondering who is going to survive, in Sanderson's you're trying to guess what exactly is going on and what the history and future of each character, kingdom and the world will be ; and unlike in Martin's books the characters who are most admirable aren't always doomed to be brought down by their own honour, honesty and lack of sufficient deviousness and ruthlessness - it's more complicated than that. (Not that i'm doing down Martin here - his characters are complex and often change in surprising but believable ways - when they live long enough)

And unlike in Martin's books Sanderson's heroes are not all from powerful noble families - much of it looks at things from the point of view of the lowest and most exploited members of societies and their struggle to survive and improve things for everyone in their situation.

I actually put this book down and didn't bother finishing reading it the first time I started reading it because I just didn't like the first couple of chapters, thinking it was going to be about some invincible warrior who couldn't be defeated - and so quite dull. When I did finally read past that I realised what a fantastic book it was though and couldn't put it down.

There were one or two things that I wasn't sure were 100% believable even within the logic of the world, but these were minor points and this is still a fantastic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 21 July 2013
O. Okonkwo - See all my reviews
This book is such a compelling read. After a couple of chapters I was relatively indifferent but then it draws you in & hooks you. Innovative magic system, intriguing protagonists. Definitely worth reading

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING., 12 May 2013
Absolutely captivated.. In fact I'm not sure why I'm sat here typing... I ought to be finishing the book!

Brandon Sanderson is an absolute genius. I fell in love with the Mistborn series and was quite apprehensive to start the stormlight archive, but it does not dissapoint- the decade that went into planning the series seems worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 11 Jan 2013
Picked this up just from looking at the cover, started to read in the shop and could not put it down. Not since David Gemmell's DRuss The Legand has a book captured everything i like in a story, awsome on part 2 now just cant get enough...EPIC!!!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Way of Kings Part One: The Stormlight Archive Book One: 1
The Way of Kings Part One: The Stormlight Archive Book One: 1 by Brandon Sanderson (Paperback - 26 May 2011)
8.00