5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant- probably the best of the series.
Bitterblue is the third and i believe final book in the Seven Kingdoms series and focuses on Bitterblue, the daughter of Leck. Carrying on from the first book, Graceling, it focuses on the kingdom of Monsea which is struggling to come to terms with 35 years of Leck's cruelty and evil. Bitterblue not only struggles with her own past as the daughter of a immensely cruel man...
Published on 30 Mar 2012 by JennyD

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as powerful as the previous two books...
... depending on what you are looking for.

I was personally put on guard by the blurb on the front cover - when the book is described as "awesome" by the Romantic Times. The Romantic Times... really? I don't know what I thought anyone else was reading with Graceling and Fire, but I thought it was a novel about strong independent women and their ability to...
Published on 9 Sep 2012 by southcoastreviewer

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks the 'Fire' of the first two in the series, 13 Aug 2013
Debs "Little Chef" (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bitterblue (Paperback)
Thank goodness I have finally finished this one. Unlike 'Graceling' and to a lesser extent 'Fire', this one really dragged. There was far too much focus on ciphers and politics as well as too much dithering with recording the main character's thoughts and feelings instead of letting the reader explore and intuit them. The plot seemed secondary to this dithering and, when actually considered on its own, was rather minuscule. There was a great return to characters we met and grew to love in 'Graceling' (welcome back, Po and Katsa!) and a fuller development of other characters met in 'Graceling' such as Gideon and Raffin, which was a definite positive, but other essential characters were left unexplored - who was Saf really and why did he act the way he did? And Teddy was such a delightful character - why couldn't we have greater development of him?

I see what the writer was trying to do in showing the effects of tragedy and torture on people as well as the responsibilities of a good leader, but somehow it fell flat for me, and instead of encouraging to think more deeply about this serious matter, it just made the book drag as it seemed out of place. Let's face it, Cashore's fantasy books are light-hearted novels with simplistic plots and happy endings. There is nothing wrong with this - this sort of plot has certainly worked with the likes of the Twilight saga. However, when one tries to combine these simplistic plots and underdeveloped characters with some heavy political theory and contemplations on the destruction of the human psyche, it just doesn't ring true, and this was the main problem with this novel for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars I want to live in Bitterblue City, 24 May 2013
Amazon Customer "Amz" (Accrington, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
When reading it, it took a good deal to get going however, it was setting the scene so I went with it! The plot was really good and I thoroughly enjoyed it (could not put it down until I was literally falling asleep). HOWEVER, the story leaves off at an end. I don't know if there is a plan for a fourth but there were ends that have been left loose and felt very irritated at the end when I didn't have an "ending".

Defo a read just let down by the ending as thought it was a trilogy!

3.0 out of 5 stars overall good (spoilers), 8 May 2013
I love Cashore's style of writing and her previous two books are in my opinion better than Bitterblue. I didn't think the plot was as interesting, although I love seeing all the characters come together. The ending was disappointing between Bitterblue and Saf, was expecting something a bit more. But overall another well written book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bitterblue. Relentlessly sad, astoundingly good!!, 3 Jun 2012
I read Graceling, the first book in the Seven Kingdoms trilogy a couple of years ago, in between some quite weighty novels. I almost stopped as I failed to come to grips with Kristin Cashore's clear way of expressing complex notions using simple language. That would have been my mistake and to my disadvantage. Graceling ended up being a book I readily recommended and bought for friends. Bitterblue, the third in the trilogy moves the story forward to the end of the tyrannical reign of Leck, her sinisterly odd father and the usurper of a Kingdom, leaving his daughter Queen Bitterblue, trying to make sense of what Leck did and why he did it and struggling to unwind a tangle of lies and half-truths he bequeathed to her and her kingdom. It is poignant, in places disturbing and almost unendingly sorrowful, and yet somehow magnificent. Rarely have my emotions been so keenly tugged by what on the surface seems not to be overall a complicated story. All events dealing with the main character take place in an enclosed area, the Royal Castle or the streets and bridges of the town sheltering in it's shadows. There are no sweeping battle scenes, no travelling with Bitterblue's comrades and friends as they go off to explore, rather we are left at home with her, hoping she can break a cypher and make sense of the baffling emotions which threaten to overwhelm her. But she is a Queen, and is written as such! I was moved to tears at times and wished I could look away, but I couldn't. In truth what saddened me most was reaching the end of this wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 30 April 2012
J. L. Evans "Jess" (London, England) - See all my reviews
The book arrived today, and i instantly ripped it open, heart beating like mad...most likely the goofiest smile on my face, and upon opening...i think i almost cried with delight! Its so much more then i was expecting to get. The books huge, which again im delighted with and i flicked through the book and saw the illustrations and my smile just grew larger and larger. Its amazing! Not many book writers add pictures and diagrams in their books anymore (or none that ive purchased) unless they are childrens books, so seeing that has really made my day today. The fact that Kristin Cashore has put so much detail into her book shows how much she really does love writing and i am for one extremely pleased ive come across her books. Thankyou Kristin, im very much looking forward to reading Bitterblue, and many more to come!
- I actually havent read Bitterblue yet, but as seeing i loved her other 2 books so much i doubt im going to be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fitting End But Hopefully Not The Last, 30 April 2012
Alex Botwright "Eventorizon" (England) - See all my reviews
Having waited literally a year for Bitterblue I was elated when it arrived. In short, it is a beautiful and amazing book, very close to Graceling, better than Fire I feel (though I will reread both to check, and for the fun of it) and it gives you the same richness, depth and emotion as the rest of the trilogy.
However you do occasionally feel very lost, not knowing where you are being lead as the book progresses. This is half the point as it matches Bitterblue's plight perfectly but it leaves you feeling confused and quite cynical at times; I found myself thinking of all sorts of horrible twists that might happen and really turn the whole book on its head. (This does happen but I never saw it coming!)
It is a real roller-coaster of emotion as well as disturbing on occasion as we delve deeply into Leck's lies and his cruelty's, but it is very well done, giving you enough to understand without dropping the horror in your lap; unless absolutely necessary.
I am very happy that Katsa, Po, Giddon and even Fire return, though I wish that we had seen more of Katsa; she is an amazing creation. Also that there are things still left unanswered, this gives me hope for a quadrilogy or even a saga (fingers crossed!).
I am definitely going to be reading the whole trilogy over and over and over for years to come, the 7 kingdoms is by far my favorite collection of books (they are far more than books but its easier to describe them as such when compared to the alternative) and will be eagerly awaiting whatever comes from Kristin Cashore in the (hopefully near) future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Epic Dialogue and well written, 28 April 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
If you loved Graceling and Fire, then you've more than likely been waiting to get your hands on this title. It's got Kristens usual writing style of solid prose, wonderful adventure and a heroine that you really can't help but like which when added to a clean overall arc leaves the reader with a story that is a joy to read.

Add to this great dialogue alongside an author who mixes all the elements to just the right proportions of action, character growth and personal interaction and all in this is a title that really will hit the spot. Finally add to this a cleverly concealed target backed with wonderfully placed threads and for me as a reader I was more than satisfied with the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and a little bit funny!, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: Bitterblue (Paperback)
'Bitterblue' is just as amazing if not better than 'Graceling' and 'Fire' (the other two books in the trilogy)! Bitterblue has to reach into her kingdoms past and discover Leck's(her graced, madman father) secrets, she meets new people in her quest to return Bitterblue city to its former glory and is faced with betrayal, heartbreak and mystery but finally she discovers the truth and what it is to be Queen of her kingdom! The novel is hard to put down and I found myself laughing out loud at some parts that are surprisingly funny. It has great characters who you end up loving or loathing! I think Kristin Cashore was very smart in how she wrote this book and the level of deep detail such as the mysterious ciphers and inventions! I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did, it's one of my favourites! Well done Cashore! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Third time is the charm., 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: Bitterblue (Paperback)
I buy most of my books in charity shops (I like the randomness and serendipity as well as the fact that a bit of that money goes to cure cancer), so when I splash out on something new there has to be a reason. Kristin Cashore has impressed me in a way that few writers do. There is a humane quality to her writing that is reminiscent of Ursula Le Guin or Connie Willis, and, though they are thematically and stylistically dissimilar, she does not pale in comparison with either. Kristin Cashore is a brave as well as a skillful writer and I would like to express my gratitude that she has been persistent and committed enough to see her vision land on a bookshelf. It is always a pleasure to follow the work of a writer who wants to grow. Well done. Very well done indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralled, 13 Sep 2014
This review is from: Bitterblue (Paperback)
From the moment I began reading, I could feel the character.
Having read the two previous books by Kristin,
both of which enthralled me,
I was transported back to The Seven Kingdoms. Reminders of both Fire and Katsa.
Cannot wait for the next character of the Seven Kingdoms to be developed by Kristin

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Bitterblue
Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (Paperback - 11 April 2013)