A welcome break from more challenging literature. Sookie becomes further entangled in the lives of Louisiana's supernatural beings.

Published on 1 Feb. 2011 by Mrs. K. E. Southall

3.0 out of 5 stars great stories - v badly edited kindle version
It would have been a 5 star review but the editing or lack thereof in this kindle version of omnibus is dreadful. My money has been taken and a full and complete book has NOT been provided.

I'm enjoying the stories just as much but be warned.
Published on 27 Sept. 2012 by stl_sw11

4.0 out of 5 stars annoying formatting errors make this virtually unreadable at times, 1 Feb. 2011
Mrs. K. E. Southall "tall kate" (Sutton Coldfield , UK) - See all my reviews

I was however really disappointed with this kindle edition which is full of text errors; whole sentences run together as one word, speech marks falling in random places due to formatting errors, a total lack of "ff" in the third book leaving you wondering what "coee" might be or being faced with a lonely "o". i
I remember wondering what an "oice" was and whether it might mean something when read in a deep southern accent."

When it is possible to buy this in paperback at a similar price (presumably in a copy that has been spellchecked and proofread before reaching the printer) i would avoid this kindle edition until it has been improved.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic stories but so many errors in this version!, 26 April 2011
There are three novels in this omnibus and although I've reviewed each individually on their own pages, I feel I must review this 'omnibus' version I downloaded for Kindle. All of the stories are wonderful and very entertaining. If you've read the previous Sookie Stackhouse novels, you'll know what to expect and you're likely to enjoy these as much as the previous stories.

This omnibus is books 4, 5 and 6 of the Sookie Stackhouse novels. I purchased the first three individually on Kindle before purchasing this omnibus of books 4-6. It's much better value than purchasing books 4-6 individually, as long as you don't mind that this will appear on your Kindle as one big book rather than three smaller seperate novels. Of course, however, the have made it obvious where each book ends and the next begins, just as they do with printed omnibuses.

However convenient and good value this ombibus version of books 4-6 is, I do have to mention the amount of errors in the book. All three stories are full of typos. I'm not talking about just the odd letter missing - they're huge errors, making it almost unreadable at points. For example, there's sentences that feature no spaces between words, meaning huge paragraphs where the reader has to work out what words are there, or words are cut off half way through and continue on the next line. These errors make it particularly difficult when the characters are speaking as the reader is unaware what is being spoken and where the speaking part ends.

If you stop reading and think about what the errors are supposed to say, it's not too difficult to work out how the text is supposed to read, but it does stop the flow and ruin the enjoyment a little. I find it hard to believe that this version was ever made available for purchase in this condition and can't understand why nothing has been done to correct it.

Overall, it's fantastic value and if you don't mind breaking your concentration to work out the errors, it's a great way of reading these three Sookie stories. The stories themselves are fantastic and dispite the 'typos' I enjoyed them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular Sookie, 2 Dec. 2010
J. Charlton "J C" (Somerset England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: True Blood Omnibus II: Dead to the World, Dead as a Doornail, Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse Vampire Myst) (Paperback)
Having just finished reading the Twilight series of books, I was looking for a similar vampire tale. I enjoy the True Blood series on TV so I thought I'd try these books and I'm very pleased I did.
Although the T.V series follows the tale of Sookie loosely, the books are far better in every way. The main characters are well drawn and believable, particularly Sookie and the story lines are exciting. There is quite a bit of humour, some romance, too which balances the blood curdling moments and I had trouble putting the book down.
I will read all the series and then I suppose I shall have to try another author!

3.0 out of 5 stars great stories - v badly edited kindle version, 27 Sept. 2012

I'm enjoying the stories just as much but be warned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read - badly proofed, 26 Jan. 2014
I really like the Skokie Stackhouse books - they run close to the TV series True Blood but with differing story lines.
My main issue with these books (on the kindle at least) is that they do not appear to have been proof read before going on sale. The books all have bad spelling, punctuation & grammar throughout - often multiple words are strung together without spaces or new paragraphs are started mid sentence.
If you can get passed this the books are enjoyable & easy reads - if you liked the TV show you'll enjoy the books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great stories - terrible presentation, 15 April 2013
Firstly - this review is based on the reading experience, not the stories themselves. I would say that the books would rate 4 stars: Sookie is an interesting heroine and her world is, by turns, exciting, exhilarating, sexy and terrifying. However, the stories are almost ruined by the appalling formatting that these combined kindle editions are presented in.

It is a credit to Ms Harris's writing that I persevered with the books - as a reader, having sentences and paragraphs running together, letters missing or replaced destroys any chance of immersion in the story, and I have never seen 'professional' publications so badly presented - in fact, every vanity press, free e-book, the vast majority of fanfiction and even a fair proportion of GCSE project work that I have encountered is more professionally proofed and set!

My advice - buy the individual print or ebooks - yes, these combined editions are substantially cheaper (certainly why I went for them) but if these were a print edition, they would have been pulped immediately as they are not fit for purpose.

I will not be buying any combined editions of any ebook from this publisher again, or actually any of the ebooks - they have had enough of my money. I have instead borrowed the print versions from my local library, where I can enjoy Sookie's travails as the author intended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Formatting errors aren't as bad as implied, 22 Mar. 2012
After reading the other reviewers' comments about the formatting errors, I was sufficiently put off that I decided to buy the three books separately. However, I bought the omnibus by mistake (still not used to how easy it is to buy something when you're just looking at it!) and figured I could persuade Amazon to refund me the download if the errors were really intrusive. The formatting errors are as described in other reviews and affect only words with 'ff' in (eg 'coffee' comes out as 'coee'). I didn't find them intrusive, or that they altered the flow of the story at all. Glad I went for the omnibus as I saved myself enough money to buy the omnibus III (out on April 9th, girls!).

The stories themselves are the usual Charlaine Harris fayre - if you liked the previous ones, you'll like these too. My only minor niggle is that the last book frequently refers to events which have not been shared with the reader and read like there's a missing book. There isn't, so don't waste 3 hours searching for it like I did!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Roll on April 9th!

3.0 out of 5 stars True Blood Addict, 4 April 2012
I don't know what it is about this series of books (and TV show) that I find so compelling, but they have me truly addicted.

This trilogy is perfect for Kindle readers like me, good value and as soon as you finish one book you can segue straight into the next. Ok, so they are no literary masterpiece, but as a bit of escapism, fantasy, laughs and occasional titillation, they are hard to beat.

To be honest, I couldn't tell you what each book is called or even what happens as they all kind of merge into one long story, but I go to bed happy each night knowing I can get my latest Sookie fix at a click of a button. Sookie is a great heroine, down to earth and brave and the romantic situations she finds herself in, are, let's face it girls, every woman's fantasy. I just can't decide which suitor I like best- brooding Bill, dangerous and sexy Eric or the new Supe on the block, gorgeous Were Tiger, Quinn?...

Best not to analyse these books too hard, just enjoy. My secret guilty pleasure!

3.0 out of 5 stars great book but hard to read, 9 May 2012
i have all these books in paperback but wanted them on my kindle too. the story and characters are as brilliant as always. the problem is the mistakes i am not fussy but speech marks are placed incorrectly there are whole lines sometimes 2 without spaces i paid for these books for the story but the terrible editing makes it almost unreadable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Off-putting typos, 26 April 2013
I agree with what other reviewers have written: that this version (and I've noticed it in the previous Omnibus) has an absurd amount of typographical errors. Not only are there lots of run-ons, but it seems that something went wrong with "ff" - it was omitted more often than not. For example, coffee became coee. Offended became oended. Why? What I don't understand is, if the book already exists in print, where is the need to (badly) retype the whole thing? Or...is this a problem of the omnibus editions? Just to see, I've bought the next book in the series as a single.

Other than that, Sookie and her adventures continue to bring entertaining escape from reality, and an original, well-written (if not well-typed) escape at that. Love Charlaine Harris' imagination!