4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars The Perfect Conclusion
This book is the perfect conclusion to a long running series. The character of Sookie has grown from the simple and somewhat dim-witted acting bar-maid, to the nearly perfect kick-ass heroine we have all come to love in our speculative fiction literature. If you are like me and love to re-read books, I have just spent the last week rereading this whole series so I could...
Published 15 months ago by Dianne E. Socci-Tetro

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing end to the series
'I had a fleeting second of incredulity that there'd ever been a time I hadn't known the extent of the supernatural world. And here I sat in Lucky Bar-B-Q with two witches, two part-demons, a telepath, and a weretiger.'

---My Thoughts---

Since I bought the first Sookie Stackhouse book on a whim, I've been hooked on the series. I read the first few...
Published 19 months ago by Rebecca

‹ Previous | 1 2 377 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars piss poor ending of a great series, 9 May 2013
Can't believe what a let down the final book was.
Was a huge fan of this series and couldnt wait for each new installment but save ur money it's not worth it !!
Its such a shame that Charlene Harris couldn't be bothered to end the last book of a series that made her who she is today as a writer.
the phrase " milking" comes to mind
So disappointed

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead Ever After, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Dead Ever After: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse 13) (Hardcover)
This book was a huge disappointment. I was a huge fan of SSN and felt really let down by what was done in the last book. Here is my feedback to the author:

Dear Ms. Harris,

First to say that I have never written a feedback to the author before but after reading SSN for years I felt that I had to share my thoughts with you and the rest of the readers. I apologize in advance if my writing is all over the place as English is my second language and I have to say that many posters explained very eloquently elsewhere their feelings after the final book - be it positive or negative. I will do my best. Also I wanted to say that I am sad to hear that you had personal and serious threats by some psychos - that must be terrible but thank God that these people are just a very tiny, tiny minority of sad cases. I will not talk about your style of writing, how you wrote this or that, errors, etc....I am not a writer and it's not my place to analyse - leave that to the professional reviewers. But what I will write about is what comes from my heart and what I felt as a devoted reader of this book series, so here it goes...*** SPOILERS***I am just so sad and gutted after I read it and I can safely say I have never been more disappointed in a book in my life so far. Before I go on I just want to stress that my huge disappoitment is not about HEA, or Sam, Sookie's choice to live her life in the sun, have kids and normal life - well I must confess I wanted something else at the end - fireworks of true love winning over any obstical , trip to some fantasy land where everything is possible, This is why I got into these kind of books after all (I used to be big into classics but not sure how I ended up in fantasy/paranormal stuff)- but as many said - it's your story and characters and I respect your decision in terms of Sookie's HEA -whatever that means...
I have been of course disappointed in many books...many times things happened in the end that I didn't like, my favorite couple didn't work out, characters died tragically - oh how much my heart bled for Anna K my favorite heroine of all times...but I was always able to close to book down and say, well 'cest la vie'....so it's not that....
My disappointment lays in a sinking feeling that you wanted to hurt and punish - for reasons I cannot understand at all - a group of your readers (and may I say quite a large group) who grew to love Eric's character...Why do that? Why write him in such a way in the last book...I kept wondering who was that man on the pages of my book...and please don't tell me I read all along what I wanted to read...no way...I was wondering at some point what the heck I missed for some many years....I was almost beginning to question my own reading comprehensions skills...but then I figured I wasn't alone...many, many readers felt the same way...so something was off and just not right...it must be that the writer did something totally different this time.....I can think of 10 different ways that E/S could have parted forever without destroying everything they had... even a simple 'I wish you the best Sookie Stackhouse' would be enough for me....but it seems you wanted to crash his character so hard that Sookie cannot even think of him any more....and boy how she let go of him ..so so fast, without any reflection or heartbreak.....so now for any reader who for so many years enjoyed Eric or Eric and Sookie together, everything is totally pointless. I cannot ever read my favorite parts and enjoy them any longer - not after what you gave us at the end... And this is what hurts me the most as a reader..You knew how many hearts you would break and you went ahead with it - and again keep in mind I am not talking about Eric and Sookie staying together - not that at all.... it is total destruction of Eric ....I thought it was really unnecessary, unconvincing and unbelievable....just to give a concrete example - why have Pam make that point to Sookie that Eric didn't organize all that protection for sentimental reasons...am I supposed believe that about Eric a man (well vampire really) who truly loved Sookie and showed it throughout 12 books, whose core self we clearly saw in book4, who cried those bloody tears on her pillow feeling helpless at the thought she suffered in book 10 ...man who was always there, who brought out the best in her and loved her for who she was, who was so thoughtful, fun, sexy uber lover ....who GOT her (in Sookie's own words, think it was book 3)...who noticed she changed her nail polish :)
You keep saying you don't understand why people even like him...but this is what I don't understand...you wrote him that way for so long...you said that you wanted him to be appealing ...and my oh my - wasn't he just appealing ...and when TB got into the picture with Skars as Eric...oh dear...I can see why so many ladies lost their heads...but lets be honest he was far from a typical romantic hero - he had many flows and I saw them clearly - but this is why I loved him as well....one thing is sure...Eric Northman from book 1-12 was HONEST no matter what...so I am sorry but I cannot see how suddenly Eric planned to turn her against her will all along, how this 1000 old Viking cannot summon enough energy to fight for his independence he held so dear...never mind Sookie ....was he forced??? would he and sooke paid with their lives if he refused...don't know, you didn't write anything about that..and our dear heroine thinks he did indeed have a choice...so he chose what's best for him...why was this deal good for him personally is beyond me...he lost everything he held dear...and as far as I know Eric loved being a big fish in a small pond...or did I get that wrong as well??? ....Some power hungry and selfish Eric was not Eric I read about for so long...this guy appeared out of nowhere in the last book...at least that's how I interpreted from what I read...
I am not sure if any of this will make sense ..but I hope it does bring across my point as to why I found this last book so disappointing and in a way hurtful. I thank you Ms Harris for creating this world which I really enjoyed for so many years and I am really sad that I am parting with this series in such a way. I don't intend to read Code - not interested to hear about this new Eric who will most likely thrive in Oklahoma and Sookie with bunch of puppies, no thank you....and also no thank to any of your future books since I feel that you purposely hurt part of you fandom beyond repair.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!, 13 May 2013
I've just finished this book and I feel so deflated and depressed. Charlaine Harris obviously had no interest in finishing off this series but she should at least have tried for the sake of her fans who have followed Sookie for years!

*Spoiler*

I'm devastated by how the main and favourite characters were portrayed, especially Eric. He only has about 2 lines in the entire book and there is no emotion in the break up! In fact, there's hardly any emotion in the book at all. It's flat and it's boring and most characters don't act like themselves. It got to the point where I couldn't care less who died and who didn't, even Eric. Infact, I would have prefered it if he was Dead Ever After if he had stayed the same engaging, funny and strong character and went out in a blaze of glory.

Sam and Sookie getting together was pretty much inevitable and while that isn't the choice I wanted her to make but I could have lived with it if Sookie and Eric had came to some kind of emotional climax but neither of them seem to care they've broken up! Even the sex scene between Sam and Sookie is awful, flat and cringeworthy.

Don't even get me started on the bad guys. Pathetic.

Plus, HARDLY ANYTHING HAPPENS!

My advice would be not to read this book and just make up your own ending as you see fit. Gutted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasently surprised :), 8 Jun. 2013
I wasn't expecting much from this book because of all the negative reviews I had read before reading it myself. However I really enjoyed this book, it wasn't as gritty as some of the other books in the series but I thought it wrapped everything up nicely. I didn't think I would like the ending at all but strangely I found it fit quite nicely. So if you aren't sure whether or not to read it I would just give it a go because you might find you enjoy it like I did :)

*spoliers*

I was absolutely adomment that sookie end up with Eric! I wanted that so badly but I found during the course of this book I changed my mind. He never really treated her all that well. So I begane rooting for bill. I knew for sure that the one thing I didn't want from this book was for sookie to end up with Sam! But as events unfolded I was happy she did :). I only thing I didn't like about the book is that you didn't really find out where bill went :/ I would have liked to have known how the series finished for bill.

But overall I enjoyed this book :) a good end to a series I've always loved :)

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a good distraction!, 16 Jan. 2014
Valentina Marangoni (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
I've read the complete True Blood Series not because the writing is amazing or because I consider it will be a "classic" but simply because it's easy to read, entertaining and just fun! It's a good distraction and after Reading 13 books you become attached to some of the characters (like Pam, love her!). Charlaine Harris ended the book just as I expected it - which doesn't mean that it’s how I actually wanted it to end - but I think that overall it wasn't at all bad.

2.0 out of 5 stars Left dissapointed after many years :(, 8 May 2013
I love these books so so much but have been more and more disappointed with the last few. I have given this book 2 stars because I do think CH does well to wrap up loose ends and explain some oddities however the romantic side of the novel has left me feeling very unhappy!

While it was predictable since the beginning who Sookie would live out her days with I found that after building a relationship up over 8 or so books to shoot it down dead and replace her relationship with a new one in the last 20% of the final book a real let down. The writer intended that during those many previous books their evolving relationship would capture us and draw us in which it most definitely did. This is why I feel disappointed with the frankly rubbish way it was binned off and replaced with someone who despite the consistency it seems hard to believe would evoke such a reaction from our heroine in the space of a few days.

Am feeling very frustrated by this book today!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Would have rated "0" but it wasn't an option, 7 May 2013
I sincerely suggest no one buy this book unless they want to be severely disappointed in the ending, which makes no sense and in no way ends the series in any satisfactory or logical way.

A group of half-drunk psycho ghost-writers would have done a better job of ending what had become a well-loved series but will now remain proof that greed does not in any way equal talent.

I mean, seriously, why else would Eric have been forced to endure what amounts to 200 years of enforced slavery for absolutely no good reason whatsoever?

Save your money. Try out the Black Dagger Brotherhood instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm quite devastated.. :'(, 12 May 2013
Many have summed it up quite eloquently before me. But I felt I needed to leave my little review. Years and years of falling in love with characters. At least £170 spent. Hours of my life. I've laughed so hard I've almost peed. I've cried so hard I felt my heart was breaking. I LOVE these people. I feel for them. They have become a huge part in my life. My whole family knows about these books and count down the days with me and then say bye bye whilst Mummy retreats into her bubble for a day or two.. So here it is - the last in the series. So much dread and anticipation. Dread as in that familiar feeling at the end of a series of books you have come to love - what am I going to do with my life once this is over?! ;) Anticipation because we will finally finally know what happens!!

Well that was the biggest let down of my life. It's like she got her husband to quickly finish off the series for her. Did the person who wrote this actually know the characters? I know some are die hard Eric fans.. I know Ms. Harris could say this has been coming all along. I know there have been references to this happening. We have been warned that in the end he would choose power over love. I can understand the decision he made and I think Ok that was believable. But the fact that we seem to have a totally different person in Eric.. Absolutely pathetic!! He did love Sookie. He would not just switch off his emotions like that!! There would be scenes where they had it out, there shouted, they had amazing break up sex.. It would be epic.. But there wasn't even a goodbye. Hmmmmm! What about Bill!?!? He's been waiting years for a bit of action but nope she just went over to Sams in her bikini and had boring bed sex. Wow. Sizzling!

That is not to mention the epic fail of the storyline itself. All the baddies get together and kidnap Sookie. Wow. Devil? Genius. Boring boring boring and unnecessary. The last book should have been about the love life of Sookie. There was absolutely no need to waste 3/4 of the last book having another who dun it mystery in there. Ugh!!!!!!!

Not to mention the whole Jason / Michelle / Terry / Tara all married and living happily ever after thing.

BORING!!

I think in a few years she will REALLY regret what she did and the least she can do is re-write it and publish it on her website for free!

I think there should be a disclaimer to anyone starting to read book one. "Please note although the first 9 books are amazing the series goes rotten and ends terribly. You WILL be disappointed".

1.0 out of 5 stars Careless end to a decent series, 11 May 2013
Utterly annoying, to discover at the end of a long book series, that the author has not taken good care of the characters. There are quite a few options. And no, I'm not angry that Sookie and Eric do not get together. But instead of ending the whole thing on a high there is ... this? A wet towel of a finale? *blows a raspberry*

Even if you're a proper fan of the series, there is no need to read this book. More's the pity.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ms Harris - did you take the money and run ..., 22 May 2013
I was so looking forward to this last book, having been a fan and admirer of the series. It's true the last couple of books haven't been as compelling as the earlier ones, however I was anticipating and hoping for something special for the finale. I didn't look at the reviews before reading the book, as I wanted to make up my own mind, but subsequently came to the same conclusions as many fans. The plots are thin, the characters play token parts, the writing is sloppy, and the author's interest just isn't there. I didn't mind the (somewhat obvious) conclusion since we always knew Sookie would stick to her principles, however we loyal readers deserved more for our last fling in Bon Temps. Poor show Ms Harris, I'm disappointed in you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 377 | Next ›

Dead Ever After: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse 13)
Dead Ever After: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse 13) by Charlaine Harris (Hardcover - 7 May 2013)