5.0 out of 5 stars Yay! Its a goodie!
I finished this book in one day, couldn't put it down. I was a bit dubious when I first ordered it after reading some of the other reviews, but thouroughly enjoyed the book. I disagree with some others opinions that this was a "filler" book (I thought that about previous book) but really felt that this one stood out on its own. I felt that it was stronger than some of...
Published on 9 May 2011 by Sarahmw1

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I am a huge fan of this series but the last two books have seriously let me down. It feels as if CH has run out of ideas and is producing something, anything, just to fulfil her contractual obligations.
I found the book lacking in plot and if this is another filler as suggested by another reviewer then CH needs to up her game significantly in the next book but...
Published on 6 May 2011 by Smee

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Coming towards a conclusion?, 13 May 2011
AR (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Louisiana's most famous telepathic waitress returns in the latest book in the series. In this story, Sookie and Eric encounter some problems in their relationship, whilst plotting to get rid of new head vampire Victor, and Sandra Pelt once more comes after Sookie. We also learn more about Sookie's origins and her fairy side, and the surprising source of her telepathy.

There are many conflicting reviews here, and I can agree with many of them that this isn't the best book of the series. It has quite a depressed tone, which I think comes from Sookie constantly being thrust into dangerous situations where her life is at risk and she is forced to do things to survive that don't fit with her own sense of morality. For some time now, Sookie has debated with herself whether she can call herself a Christian any more, or even a good person, and that continues in this novel.

All Sookie's usual admirers feature once again, which is a bit repetitive to be honest. Although Sooie's confrontation with Alcide is interesting, as they argue over the changes in his character since he became Packmaster. The last few books Alcide hasn't really been the nice guy we were introduced to, so it's jarred a bit with me that he has still been considered a romantic possibility for Sookie, even though she doesn't seem to think much of him. I'm curious to see who Sookie will end up with, as Eric has been built up for a long time as the main romantic lead and I've been desperate for them to get together, but now they are the relationship has lost it's edge, and this book seems to be paving the way for them to split up. Perhaps Sam, who features more heavily in this story, will be Sookie's true love in the end? At least Sookie could have a child, as babies and children are becoming a theme in the series and it seems unlikely that Sookie will never have one.

We also learn more about the fairies, but Claude and Dermot's motives for staying with Sookie are again brought into question. It would be nice if Sookie didn't have trouble in every aspect of her life, that would make the story feel more real and not so melodramatic as it sometimes does. Again, Sookie experiences plenty of violence but also dishes some out too.

But excuse the negatives I've pointed out here, because, ultimately, I'm a fan of the Sookie Stackhouse series, and whilst it's true there are better books than this, I still enjoyed it and am eager for the next installment. I wonder though how many more books there will be, as the series does feel like it's winding down to some kind of conclusion. Fans won't want to miss this, but newcomers and those that aren't passionate about the series might be better reading another Sookie book instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but didn't like the ending, 7 May 2011
I've read all the True Blood books by Charlaine Harris, and was looking forward to reading this latest addition to the series. I did enjoy the story and it sticks to a proven formula, but i have to admit, i really didn't like the ending very much, leaving things very much 'up in the air'. Felt the storyline could have been a bit stronger to be honest and think Charlaine needs to up her game for the next book. I think Book 4 is still the best, but this is still a worthwhile read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Borrow, not buy, 1 July 2011
Ms. Ml Edwards "maggiesmum" (wrexham, wales) - See all my reviews
Really disappointing book. As a fan of the Southern Vampire books, I was looking forward to the lastest installment (even though they have been getting progressively predictable) and pre-ordered my copy along with other fans.

This book stinks!! I really think Harris just concentrates on the TV show now as it was basically just a script for an episode of Trueblood.....it only held my attention for sixty minutes.

If you are a fan of the series like me, then by all means read the book. But my advice would be,'borrow, not buy'.....lets show Ms Harris that we want our fandom to be rewarded with thought-out, thrilling and exciting stories.....hit her where it hurts...her wallet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enemies of Sookie, 5 May 2011
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
When you have a life like Sookie Stackhouse's, you make a lot of enemies. And in Charlaine Harris' eleventh Southern Vampire novel, "Dead Reckoning," a bunch of people with grudges against Sookie make her life a little more interesting. It's a much smoother and more satisfying ride than the previous novel, but the developments involving Eric are rather disappointing.

Sookie is busy at work when someone firebombs Merlotte's -- and though no one is injured, she worries that it might have been a hate crime against Sam. And at home, she uncovers a shocking fact in an old letter from her grandmother, as well as a mysterious faerie artifact called the cluviel dor. Additionally, Eric is acting kind of strange, but he won't tell Sookie why that is.

But it becomes clear that someone is out for Sookie's life -- thugs attack at Merlotte's, assassins show up at her house, and an old enemy pops up wanting nothing but her death. And that may not be the only threat to Sookie, since the vicious regent Victor is trying to provoke Eric into ruining his position as sheriff... meaning Sookie has to get him first.

"Dead Reckoning" is a much smoother, less disjoined novel than the last Sookie Stackhouse novel, and in many ways it's a welcome return to form. We've got some gruesome killings, a few mysteries, some charmingly embarrassing situations (Sookie hiding naked in Bill's coffin), and the looming spector of vampire politics making everything more complicated.

Harris' prose is still a pretty even mix of the dark'n'creepy and the down-to-earth unpretentiousness of Sookie's everyday life, and she inserts some genuinely funny moments into the story ("We fol­lowed the bondage Bobb­sey Twins across the crowd­ed dance floor"). And she seems to be simplifying matters in Sookie's life, since some of the supernatural forces she's involved with get untangled from her.

The problem? It feels like Harris has gotten tired of Eric, because he appears only sporadically in this novel, and most of the time he seems oversensitive and overbearing. Sookie seems to barely tolerate him. Then of course, a plot twist that is rather... disappointing, particularly to anyone shipping Eric/Sookie.

Sookie herself seems to be back on an even keel after the traumatic events of the last few books -- she seems steadier on her own feet, even to the point of blowing up when people meddle in her love life. She also seems to be lighting a little torch for Sam, who is a small but potent presence in this particular book, and "stranger in a strange land" Dermot is fleshed out more.

"Dead Reckoning" stumbles on therelationship front, but the onslaught of Sookie's enemies keep the darker slant of the story intriguing. However, Eric/Sookie fans should brace themselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow to start but picked up. Reader manipulation getting tedious but definitely liked it, 6 May 2011
Welll...This is a solid, liked it to really liked it. If it wasn't for the fact that there MIGHT be a HUGE plot inconsistency in this book, I might have even given it 5 stars but I'm trying to figure out if something might actually be a well placed lie by CH or not but I'm not so sure yet.

(**EDITED on May 14th. After doing some digging, I think the bit I thought was a plot inconsistency is intentional. See bottom of review)

However, overall I really enjoyed this installment once the ball got rolling (the 1st 50% was a bit boring for me) & I do believe this was indeed a huge turning point for not just Sookie & Eric but Sookie herself. The end scene with Eric was like..BAM! She has some very big thinking to do about what she wants for herself, what she is willing to accept about her life & the people she surrounds herself with.

I don't have many doubts that Eric/Sookie are going wind up together. OK maaaybe a little doubt b'c CH likes to play her audience...but... really? It wouldn't make sense to have it be anyone else 11 books in & a few shorts as well. I found this installment to signify their next big bump in the road, the next trial & tribulation for their relationship & watch how they get through it. In this book, for the 1st time Sookie was more upfront. Discussing the future, aging, babies etc.. she has grown & continues to. It does look like there is a setup for a breakup in the next book but with a possible reconciliation in the last book thanks to the magical cluviel dor. Who knows for sure though!

**Semi-spoilers**

There were a lot of typical SVM hi-jinks & humor in this book. Sookie's naked jaunt into Bill's house & her rambling inner monologue... "Irrelevant!" was hilarious.

I even liked Bill. A lot. Although, that's not surprising b'c CH was turning him into Eric to a degree. Not kidding. CH is definitely recycling her Eric material into the new Bill. His quote as to why he loves Sookie complete with a comment about her chest (so un-Bill like) is practically verbatim Eric to Sookie in DTTW. That's right...go check it out! And his move..."Is it Christmas? Are you my early present?" was also classic Eric. It's a little tedious CH's manipulation of the audience but whatever. It is what it is. I suppose if you are going to finish this ride be prepared for the tactics that come with it.

Sookie was back to herself but in better form than ever in many ways. Aside from her own homicidal tendencies, she is growing, more mature & in control. Or trying to be at least. She is taking a much larger stand for herself in what she will tolerate from the people in her life whereas in the past, she almost assumed their feelings & was able to be manipulated more. I like her relationship with Eric a lot. Warts & all. I found her insecurities & misgivings well founded as well as his own anger, resentment & fear. I really enjoy seeing them having to go through a ton of crap to work it out. Like a real relationship.

I also loved the scene with Eric & Sookie after the bond broke. Not the sex scene mind you b'c that was whatever - it was one page of throwing it in but it did, to me show their huge relief that Sookie does in fact love Eric tremendously as he does her. More than that, I love their bit of dialog afterward.

However, the scene that blew me away was at the end when she freaked out amongst the assassination ruin in which she had the majority hand in rallying & plotting. When Eric took her blood after rightly calling her a "hypocrite" & didn't take the pain out of it. HOLY COW. I know this will be a much debated scene & very controversial but I thought it was just SPOT ON. So good. So dark. So very deep.

It was awesome. Well for me anyway. I mean here Sooks has been complaining the last 2 books how she wants Victor to die (by her own hands even). She's the one that rallies Eric & co. It's her plan they go with & then at the end....b'c she hates what she sees in herself & not only that but, was a part of & had the largest hand in plotting, she projects onto Eric & co. b'c it's easiest to do that.

Him letting her feel the pain was his way (to me anyway) of saying deal with it! Face it. This is life with me/a vamp Sookie & I'm not going to sugarcoat it for you. Accept it & accept me. You partake in this life, these are the realities that come with it. We're alive. Isn't that what you wanted most?

I don't know what CH is going to have her do but I find this turning point really compelling. She scares herself. The lengths she's willing to go to for those she loves & to survive & the macabre situations she finds herself in as a result.

I thought it was a very clever, deep scene.

The CD fairy love token is a bit of a cop out but I will wait to see how CH wields it. Oh wait.. we have a potion which will amazingly come in SO handy! Er...we'll see.

The potential Fairy plot is quite devious. It seems as if CH is foreshadowing someone playing dress up in Eric or someone else's skin to potentially get Sook's up the duff? IDK but all the material is there & man...those Fairies are sneaky.

Funnily enough, I felt the worst for Sookie in regard to Amelia. Not that Amelia's meddlesome betrayal was a surprise to me, I figured it was only a matter of time but she really went all out. Sookie is a character with a rare handful of people she can trust & not even that. She is quite often, alone. And that theme featured a lot in this installment. With Eric's new day man being a 'lone wolf', Eric asking her to move in with him b'c the thought of her being 'alone' & feeling her fear made him crazy. Her really feeling the isolation in this installment esp. when she kicks everyone out of her home. Poor Sookie Sookie.

Overall, this place which Sookie is in, yet another crossroads deciding who she can trust, turn to, what will happen to her relationship & what will that mean for her future? This is all great meaty stuff.

And now for my biggest issue..the potential plot inconsistency. It's the conversation between Sookie, Claude & Dermont about Eric & Niall being in cahoots. It sooo doesn't stack. I am investigating that one & won't bog down the review with it but in fairness I will change my rating if it turns out that it's not a plot inconsistency.
_________________________________

**EDITED on MAY 14th - I thought when reading that b'c CH has stated she writes by the seat of her pants, that she was going back to try & fit in plot in places she thought were vague enough to get away with in order to make things work now that she had to stretch the series out. After all, she has made a lot of obvious errors in the past that her readers have caught & called her on.

In this book - C&D tell Sookie that Eric had approached Niall to send protection for Sookie, hence Niall calling in Claudine b'c she was withering. The implication being Eric knew who Niall was in connection to Sookie pre-DTTW.

CH recently stated in April that DR doesn't "have a word about the history between Niall and Eric, because it's not important to Sookie's story."

She also stated that everyone is susceptible to Fae magic. We know that twice Niall has made Sookie forget things. Whose to say he didn't do the same to Eric, if indeed he kept Niall aware of her movements (although it really seems unlikely since their history is not important to Sookie's story)**

I think those crafty fairies are definitely up to something. Something with Breeding more Fae.

2.0 out of 5 stars Apathy All Over, 11 May 2011
I don't know where to start with this review. I was so excited to read this book, and I think CH has really let down her fans. Sookie is whiny, inconsistent, and still with the ever present dilemma "Do I love him? Do I love him not?" After eleven books, where CH has invested so much of the reader's time in the Eric/Sookie relationship; you can't help but feel "Really? Is this it?"
I think this book is a cop out; a rehash of old ideas; and a genuine testament to her boredom with the Stackhouse series, in that she really seems to be writing only under duress. I didn't feel connected at any point with Sookie. She was constantly unhappy, ungrateful, and annoying.
She is incapable of accepting anyone for who they really are. Eric, Sam, Bill, Amelia, her gran, Mr. Cataliades, (I can go on) and least of all, herself (for example, when she finds out about the Cluvial Dor, and how she got her powers). This has been consistent throughout the series, and more so in this book. The theme is definitely one of discontent. I know I am fed up of her fickleness in love. I know some of you may disagree, but I can't help but wonder if the books aren't beginning to pander to the True Blood tv series.
I hope you other fans can understand how much it pains me to write this since I LOVE the collection. I am just so disappointed. Don't get me wrong - it might be a good novella, but as Book Twelve, it just doesn't ring true.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 31 Oct 2011
Having read the entire True Blood series I found this one the most disappointing. Her previous books have had an intense pace that makes you not want to put the book down. This book unfortunately I put down a lot, in fact it was a struggle to read and only due to my loyalty to her other books so I literally plodded on! This book had a very weak plot, in fact it only had one(in fact it was two but the second one was so weak it does not bear mentioning) which you already knew the outcome. There was minimal amount of supernatural prose, Sookie's character was surprisingly droll that I actually hoped someone would at least attack her and put her out of her misery.
I was really looking forward to this instalment but it failed miserably in my expectations. Unfortunately you will have to lower your expectations dramatically to read this book and personally I would avoid!

3.0 out of 5 stars I think this book is at least 8 chapters short., 6 May 2011
I am addicted to these novels, seriously. It is getting mudddled with True Blood as the stories aren't exactly the same. Either way, I can read & watch both. This novel however,was disappointing. Firstly the length & secondly, it didn't really say much. A tease of Bill, a werewolf here & there, a grumpy Eric - so different from the previous novel, a whiney Sookie. I would of rather waited another couple of months for a better, longer novel with more to say. This book could be missed by True Blood and it wouldn't matter.
PS: Miss Harris, please keep Eric & Sookie together. Niall said - the vampire loves you.

2.0 out of 5 stars yes but............, 3 May 2011
i was really looking forward to this and although it filled in some of the back story there was too much left unfinished for it to feel like a whole book. It felt more like abunch of random chapters than a novel having a beginning and an end and now I have to wait another year to resolve the plot. Come on Charlene stop eaking out the plot and write somehting that takes longer than 4 hours to read

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 4 May 2011
I have been looking forward to this book coming out for nearly a year now and after reading the first chapter I was even more excited. Now don't get me wrong I know these books aren't supposed to be Shakespeare or James Joyce I know what to expect but this was just 325 pages of filler with the usual fight scene thrown in at the end just for good measure! Usually I become enthralled in these books but when I was reading this I was easily distracted and only persevered in hope that it would get better. As much as I never want this series to end, because I love all the characters, I can't help but feel maybe it would be better to end it on a high rather than just realising book after book filled with rubbish like this!

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›

Dead Reckoning: A True Blood Novel: 11 (Sookie Satckhouse series)
Dead Reckoning: A True Blood Novel: 11 (Sookie Satckhouse series) by Charlaine Harris (Paperback - 29 Mar 2012)