4.0 out of 5 stars Guild Hunter book 3
Published on 19 April 2013 by Sarah (Feeling Fictional)

3.0 out of 5 stars Archangel's Consort
I was expecting great things from this book, having just finished the first two in the series which were fantastic.

Published on 5 Feb. 2011 by Lisa F

4.0 out of 5 stars Guild Hunter book 3, 19 April 2013
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Archangel's Consort: The Guild Hunter Series (Paperback)
It is time for Vampire Hunter Elena to return to New York and let the world see the changes she has gone through but as nothing ever goes smoothly for the couple they soon find themselves caught up in the hunt of their lives. As more and more vampires are taken over by bloodlust they quickly realise that all is not what it seems, a powerful enemy is rising, a face from Raphael's past that he hoped never to see again and one who is determined to get Elena out of the way. Even working together this enemy may be too strong for them, their only hope is to defeat them before they regain their full power but that would mean breaking one of the most ancient angelic laws.

I'm a huge fan of this series and I really enjoyed this instalment of Elena and Raphael's adventures. Elena is still coming to grips with her immortality and the new abilities she gained when she became an angel. Although she is stronger and heals faster than she ever did as a human she is still weak compared to other angels and even the older vampires who protect Raphael. She is determined to train as hard as possible though because she doesn't want to be seen as Raphael's weakness but anyone who knows how much he cares for her automatically sees her as a target. It isn't easy for her to adjust to her new life, she is still learning the rules and learning what her body is now capable of but she is just as brave and determined as she ever was. She may be weaker than her enemies but she refuses to back down and wants to stand by Raphael. The two of them will always be stronger together than they are separately and I love that although they are both uncertain when it comes to relationships and find it difficult to trust they work together to overcome their issues.

We learn a lot more about both of their pasts in this book and discover a lot about their families that make us question things we thought we already knew. Elena has always had a very poor relationship with her father (I can't stand the man!) but although they are a long way from a close father / daughter relationship we do see a glimmer of hope that he isn't all bad. One new thing that Elena has to contend with though is the mother-in-law from hell, seriously if you think your MIL is bad she's got nothing on Caliane! Of course Elena isn't going to put up with crap from anyone and there are some really amusing moments where she stands up for both herself and Raphael. We already knew that Raphael didn't have the best relationship with his mother but what we find out about his past is heartbreaking and goes a long way to explaining why he is so closed off to the people around him. He is lucky to have his Seven to rely on but it is Elena who has really started to bring him out of himself. Raphael has changed so much from when we first met him, he is still dangerous and he still scares the crap out of me sometimes but he can also be so unbelievably sweet and protective over Elena. Their relationship has come on leaps and bounds since they first met but they still have their ups and downs, they have to work hard and find ways to compromise so that they can both be happy but they are both willing to put the effort in.

Archangel's Consort is just as sexy as the first two books in the series, there is no missing the fireworks when Raphael and Elena are in the same room, but there is also a deeper connection between them now that wasn't there in the beginning. We are also getting to learn more about Raphael's Seven and I can't wait to spend more time with each of them. Illium is a particular favourite of mine and I really hope he gets a book of his own at some point but even Dimitri and Venom are growing on me now that I know them better. Alongside the hot sex and great character development Nalini Singh has created a fast moving plot that had me gripping the pages. I didn't want the story to end and I'm just relieved that I already have the next book waiting for me to read it. This remains one of my favourite paranormal series and I don't see that changing any time soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars When two angels choose to dance the skies it is a sight to behold!, 24 Jan. 2011
Archangel's Consort gives us a third chapter to devour in the romance story of Archangel Raphael and Guild Hunter Elena. With that I cannot guarantee a spoiler free review and only advice readers to start at the beginning with Angels' Blood and work your way to this release which I can tell you will be quite the ride!

From the beginning there was an undeniable attraction simmering between Raphael and Elena and this had not diminished in any way in Archangels Consort. Next to their deepening relationship they both have to deal with family issues as well. From the get-go I fell hard for the synergy between Raphael and Elena. Their dialogues are full of wit and barbs, their personalities clashing at times in dominance and the sensual vibe is like a live wire between them. Over the course of the evolving storyline I witnessed their trials and tribulations, their strength, vulnerabilities and flaws, but at the foundation a love grew that encompassed them wholly.

In Archangels Consort, Nalini Singh demonstrates how utterly good she is at bringing characters to life and exploring their personalities. Raphael is a male character who isn't quite the anti hero nor "just" one who can be branded an Alpha, he transcends these character type's with his attitude that is born from his ancient age and view on life. He is without a doubt "other". He is an Archangel who makes me shiver with all of his personality traits and each reader should experience his personality first hand to understand what makes Raphael, Raphael.

To be the love interest of such an Archangel takes quite a woman but Elena holds her ground in her own unique way. She knows how to get through to Raphael when he goes all Archangel attitude and makes him more accessible to the softer side of emotions. Even though Elena has a strong backbone, even when she goes all warrior woman, she also is a sensuous woman and has her vulnerabilities. It is the sensual and emotional interplay between them as a couple that shows this the most. This story definitely created room for the romance part, for conflicts and the fiery passion that often set the pages ablaze. When two angels choose to dance the skies it is a sight to behold!

The one thing that was subdued was the mystery. Practically up front did I know what was going on and it lessened the thrill of the suspense. It made certain events less dangerous and I missed the one-two punch Nalini Singh can deliver when romance and suspense work as one and I can't read fast enough to know what's happening. Of course I did get a few small surprises in the end, creating possibilities for future installments but in this story it was the interpersonal relationships that did it for me.

Next to murders, some dangers, romance and challenges there was also Raphael's Seven. Each of these Seven is a compelling and intriguing character but like many avid readers of this series I have my favorites. My heart skips a beat with the uber powerful vampire Dmitri, I have a wicked grin on my face whenever Illium aka Bluebell, enters the stage, my curiosity is piqued with Aodhan, but it is Jason who yanks all of my chains. In this installment Nalini Singh tantalizes me with small snippets of mystery revolving his, and many other characters, from the Seven. I can't wait for her to start writing up their stories!!

Nalini Singh's is one of the powerhouse authors who rule in the Urban-Fantasy genre. Her imaginative writing never fails to invite me into her dynamic world. I get to go on adventures with her characters, enjoy the temperamental dialogues and feel every single shred of emotions sizzling between them! Archangel's Consort was a wonderful return again to the Guild Hunter world!

3.0 out of 5 stars Archangel's Consort, 5 Feb. 2011
Lisa F (Oldham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Archangel's Consort: The Guild Hunter Series (Paperback)

Angel's Blood and Archangel's Kiss were both exquisitely written blends of sexual tension, world building and a rich plot full of twists and turns and excitement. Archangel's Consort was primarily sex scenes and romantic encounters between Elena and Raphael with a bit of a plot thrown in for good measure.

I kept reading because I just knew it would get better, Nalini wouldn't let me down. and it did- but only the last 25% of the book showed the promise of the first two.

I feel that so much more could have been made of Caliane's awakening and it's effect on the other archangels. And I know Elena witnessed terrible things in her childhood and has some serious Daddy issues. But really, does it need shoving down my throat every chapter? Because honestly I am getting bored of it now.

In a nutshell, about 50% of this book is "Oh look, Elena is sad because of her past. Let's have sex to make it better. Oh look, Raphael is sad because of his past. Let's have sex to make it better...."

3.0 out of 5 stars Archangel's Consort, 5 Feb. 2011
Lisa F (Oldham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

Angel's Blood and Archangel's Kiss were both exquisitely written blends of sexual tension, world building and a rich plot full of twists and turns and excitement. Archangel's Consort was primarily romantic encounters between Elena and Raphael with a bit of a plot thrown in for good measure.

In a nutshell, about 50% of this book is "Oh look, Elena is sad because of her past. Let's make love to make it better. Oh look, Raphael is sad because of his past. Let's make love to make it better...."

When we finally get to the action in the very last part of Archangel's Consort, it is the usual action packed adventure I have come to expect and the very end has me gripped and waiting once again for the next in the series.......

5.0 out of 5 stars Time to meet the in-laws, 13 Dec. 2012
C. Manning (London, UK) - See all my reviews
When a vampire attacks a girls' school in a fit of viscious madness, it is only the first in a string of violent events. Vampire after vampire is consumed by rampant bloodlust and Raphael is struggling to control them when he himself begins to show signs of uncontrollable rage. But when a massive storm threatens the New York the pattern behind the events becomes clear. An ancient is awakening and she seeks to reclaim her son. Caliane has returned...

This is the third book in the Guild Hunter series (after Angels' Blood and Archangel's Kiss) and is probably my favourite in the series so far. The storyline is densely plotted and packed with twists and turns, and the threat of an Ancient awakening is threaded through the book adding a vein of tension that enhances the plot. The suspense woven into the storylines is one of the things that I love most about this series, and this installment takes it to the next level.

After watching Elena's growth after the past few books, I was looking forward to seeing what was next for her and this takes things back to her family. It allows us to understand more about how her family functions and what role she was in. There is also a few surprises hidden in Elena's past and the flashbacks give her character even more depth. Her romance with Raphael is still going strong although at times I felt it drew attention away from the action.

The presence of Raphael's mother Caliane also means that flashbacks are again used to help develop their relationship by giving a window into their past. The flashbacks are always in italics and fit well within the story. Raphael is also dealing with the echoes of Lijuan's ascension and the changes that has made to the balance of power between the Cadre of ruling Archangels.

Once again the supporting characters shine through, particularly Dmitri who has been running things in New York while Elena recovered from her transformation. His book is up next and I'm eager to find out more about him. Bluebell also returns and there are some truly heartwrenching scenes with him that really made me feel for him.

All in all this was a great read and I'm really looking forward to Archangel's Blade.

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 10/10

Overall: 49/50

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Third Instalment, 3 May 2011
This review is from: Archangel's Consort: The Guild Hunter Series (Paperback)
'Archangel's Consort' is the third instalment in the 'Guild Hunter' series by Nalini Singh. I adored the first two books and fell instantly in love with Elena and Raphael. Although I did enjoy this book, it just didn't measure up to the first two. In fact it felt a bit formulaic; the intense romance, vampire murders, which Elena has to solve by using her tracking ability and lots of hot passionate sex - just felt a bit of a repeat of book two and therefore this book was a little disappointing.

But, don't get me wrong, all these aspects are the reasons I fell in love with this series to begin with, but as with all series, the story and characters all have to move forward in some way. I wanted to see the characters grow further as they just seemed stuck, doing the same thing over and over.

I was hoping that Raphael and Elena's characters would have grown and I wish something had happened that would have changed the dynamics a little. It would have been interesting if some of the other characters, that are included in each of the books, were brought to the fore a little more.

However, you will notice that I still give this a rating of 7/10 despite my disappointment, well that's because the writing is still as lush and descriptive as always, there's still plenty of action, and I just love Elena and Raphael and enjoy everything about them, as individuals and as a couple.

VERDICT:

'Archangel's Consort' is a very good third instalment, although a little disappointing as I was hoping for something more. However, this is still an awesome series and one which I will follow blindly and recommend without hesitation - I for one cannot wait for book 4, 'Archangel's Blade'!

Rating: 7/10 on my blog

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 12 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Archangel's Consort: The Guild Hunter Series (Paperback)
I have been looking forward to this book for some time and I have to say that I am slightly disappointed.

Firstly, there is too much sex. I'm only about mid way through at the moment, but even so there is so much focus on Rafael and Elena having sex that their developing relationship is barely touched upon. What captured me in the previous books is that both characters seemed so real and I was really looking forward to getting to know them and how they developed as a couple instead there is loads of gratuitous sex. I really hope Nalini doesn't fall into the Laurell K Hamilton trap of sacrificing story line for rounds of unending bed jumping.

I also hate the cover art. I have no idea why they changed the style but am definitely NOT a fan. I've just now finished the book which took several days as I was able to put it down! Something previously unheard of with Nalini's books. It improves in the last 50 or so pages as the story comes together however one is left unsatisfied by the purchase of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 3 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Archangel's Consort: The Guild Hunter Series (Paperback)
The Archangel consort is another compulsive read in this series. I like the way the relationship between Raphael and Ellie develops. So devoted to each other as they work together to overcome all the obstacles and solving the mysteries surrounding the horrendous murders. Dmitri is one of my favourite characters too and the banters between him and Ellie are interesting!

I just love this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as the first two, 8 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Archangel's Consort: The Guild Hunter Series (Paperback)
I'm tending to agree with a couple of other reviews I've read - and to be clear I still thoroughly enjoyed this book - but it's not quite up to par with Angel's Blood and Archangel's Kiss. Although I like Elena and Rapheal as a couple and think Singh has done some great things with both characters which brings new challenges and depths to their relationship, there really was too much sex in the 2/3 of the book (and no, I can't quite believe I said that either!). I think what I mean is that whilst in the previous books the sex is 'gilding' to the relationship story (and very hot gilding at that) in this book it sometimes feels as though the sex is a substitute for relationship story.

After a great opening which does raise the hairs on the back of your neck, the waking of Caliane is dealt with very superficially and I would like to have more focus on this. It was nice however to see more of Aodhan and Illium and learn something about their backgrounds.

Overall a good, but not great, book. I did enjoy the last 50 pages or so and am looking forward to the next installment where I hope Singh is back on tip-top form.

4.0 out of 5 stars Archangels Consort Guild Hunter 3, 5 May 2011
This review is from: Archangel's Consort: The Guild Hunter Series (Paperback)
I am a huge Nalini fan and I adore both her Guild Hunter and Psy/Changeling series. Her imaginative writing is always 'top class' and refreshing.

I have read and re-read Angels Blood and Archangel's Kiss since their release and I couldn't wait for Archangels Consort to arrive....'Yes' you hear a but coming..BUT I was just a little disappointed!; put simply, the impact after the first read was Tame compared with Books 1 and 2!.
Did I enjoy the 'slight' development of the back stories of Raphael's Seven? ABSOLUTELY, BUT it was 'Slight Development'...was there Murder and suspense? YES, BUT nothing like 1 and 2...Sexy romance? YES YES, BUT there wasn't enough relationship development between Elena and Rachael for me...at times they almost seemed like strangers again? ...Was there Danger? YES, BUT once again Tame in comparison to 1 and 2....

I agree with one of the reviewers who said "that the mystery was subdued and not quite as thrilling".

Nalini has set the bar VERY HIGH with books 1 and 2. Book 3 is Very Good but just not GREAT!

Roll on book 4 ...I'm sure 5 STARS are on their way again!!

Archangel's Consort: The Guild Hunter Series
Archangel's Consort: The Guild Hunter Series by Nalini Singh (Paperback - 10 Feb. 2011)