4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for genre fans
HG Wells has always been a bit of a guilty pleasure for myself, I've loved his War of the Worlds, I thoroughly enjoyed The Time Machine and have been entertained many a time by The Island of Dr Moreau. So when this title was rereleased in hardback by Gollancz, I felt it was time to reacquaint myself with this prolific author and to see what this title was about...
Published on 5 Feb 2011 by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

3.0 out of 5 stars found it difficult to concentrate
Published 20 months ago by Clipper 314

3.0 out of 5 stars found it difficult to concentrate, 4 Jan 2013
Clipper 314 (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shape Of Things To Come (Hardcover)
I have read a few of his books and have always 'been in touch' with where he is writing from... and still find it hard to believe that War of the Worlds was written in the 19th Century. I was looking forward to reading this book but fairly soon started skim reading as I found it all a bit too much with multiple events and characters interwoven with blasts at every type of government system there appears to be. The 'congestion' of information on every page did I'm afraid put me off and only occasionally did I properly read a few pages in the normal style of absorbing the content. Yes a masterly work with the expectation of gas and chemical warfare taking place...and the vision of an Air Dictatorship in charge, but not for the faint hearted.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for genre fans, 5 Feb 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Whilst I hadn't read this book before I was wondering exactly what I was letting myself in for with this title from his later period of writing and whilst a number of events had an echo within our own history you can see the authors political views coming through quite strongly as well as his idealised version of society. It is well written, the characters engaging and the concepts discussed will generate quite a varied number of discussions amongst readers and whilst many feel that they can avoid reading this due to the films that have been released they don't do this title any real justice for the work that's within. Definitely a title that I'd suggest that you read once as it is not only the shape of things to come (at least genre wise) but a title that will have influenced a great many of today's writers who have taken Well's torch and carried it proudly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asks blindingly obvious questions which no one ever asks..., 16 May 2007
S. J. Newton "Sarah" (Normandy) - See all my reviews
This is without doubt one of the major works of speculative fiction of the 20th century, and the fact that it is still so little known and so hard to get hold of is ample fuel for conspiracy theorists the world over - thank God, finally, there is a new edition! It presents itself as a history book written in the 22nd century, covering the previous 400 years; the rise and fall of capitalism and the establishment of a utopian world government. Whilst Wells' own communistic ideology shines through, it is nevertheless a reasoned, accessible attempt to discuss the geopolitical forces which shape our world and to debate the future of our species and our society. Wells is profoundly against the laissez-faire approach to social and political development, and argues for an intelligent, directed interventionism towards a more just and egalitarian future. It's possible to read this book as a counterargument to such dystopian classics as Zamyatin's "We", Huxley's "Brave New World", or Orwell's "1984", but at the same time it's hard to dismiss the suspicion that Wells' political and ideological enemies have happily buried this controversial and deeply thoughtful work whilst championing its "dark vision" contemporaries.

"The Shape of Things to Come" is profoundly anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist, and anti-corporate feudalist. It effortlessly exposes and deconstructs the cynical manipulations which drive world politics; in the age of the oil wars and the artificial enemy, it's more relevant than ever.

I would put this book on any O-level or A-level curriculum. I'd challenge any thinking person with hope for the future of our society to read this book and disagree. You might not agree with Wells, but you can't deny that this is a topic we should all be talking about.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas, well written...but could be more concise., 2 May 2014
This review is from: The Shape Of Things To Come (Hardcover)
First off, the Hardcover version is brilliant. It's a nice edition and makes me look very intellectual on the journey home from school on the tram. I have no faults there.

The book itself is somewhat a book of two halves. It is a very well written book and contains a lot of great ideas. However the book is about 420 pages and for those wanting a straight up sci-fi novel, look elsewhere, for the first 100 odd pages, Wells recounts established History, and personally, having chosen to read the novel for utopian novel and as one who has studied early 20th Century International relations, I found it dragged a bit but once you get to about halfway through Book II, it's all pretty great there on in.

I found A Modern Utopia, his other discourse and proposition for a utopian society, unfocused but on reflection, enjoyed it a lot more than this one.

Overall it is enjoyable but I have enjoyed some of his other works much more and felt I it could have been a lot shorter, but this is all just my opinion...

5.0 out of 5 stars Original is great, this edition is full of typos, 27 May 2012
For anyone who follows or cares about Wells, this is an essential book, but sadly the Penguin edition is a mess. There are typographical errors on every page. Penguin seem to be establishing a firm reputation for this kind of exploitation. It is a really sad falling-off for a once serious company.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, but let down on Kindle, 5 Sep 2011
Martin Beecroft "bittmaster" (North Wales, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
You either love Wells or you hate him. The Shape of Things to Come is a fascinating book and I found a good read. There are plenty of reviews from other contributors and I would suggest reading those.

I would point out though that I read the Kindle version and, whilst I am a lover of the Kindle, here is yet another example of the publishers failing to properly proof read their Kindle versions of books before releasing them. The formatting of 'years', of which there are many in this book,is appalling eg z000 instead of 2000, zoi6 instead of 2016 etc etc. One gets used to the failure and quickly compensate for it but I find it very annoying when paying for a book (including VAT in the case of Kindle versions)to find sloppy editing and poor proof reading. From reading reviews of other Kindle versions of books it would appear that this is becoming a common problem which is a great shame as it will undoubtedly put some readers off buying Kindle and Kindle books.

However, this is a good read and I would not wish to put anyone off reading it.

1.0 out of 5 stars over-rated and dull, 9 Aug 2012
I loved the Time Machine and looked forward to reading this "classic".
It only took a few pages for me to realise that this was an altogether different book to the Time Machine - it was uninteresting and worse still, badly written. I hated reading it and only finished it to see if it had any redeeming features. It was a good idea poorly developed.
Because Wells imagined his readers were complete morons he repeats things again and again. Every key point is thoroughly laboured.
The kindle version is probably much worse than the printed one because you have no idea when the torture will end. Seeing only a percentage indicator and enough waffle added to the front and end to fill a book in their own right, you have no way of guaging when your misery will end.
I would have given this 0 stars if Amazon would let me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Wells!, 27 Sep 2006
I really enjoyed The Shape of Things to Come and it should be read in conjunction with Wells' 1927 equally prophetic but lesser known, A Story of the Days to Come, set in London. If you enjoyed The Shape of Things to Come, you'll equally enjoy A Story of the Days to Come as while the theme is similar, the story is very different.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Shape of Things to Come, 11 Jan 2005
David Brent (London, England) - See all my reviews
This book has changed my life with its exsquisite insightfulness and determination to unveil the logic behind featured prophesies. Well's has done, within 500 pages, what many writer's have struggled to find in in their careers as authors. This book should remain in time as the most prominent masterpiece of one the world's greatest ever thinkers and storytellers. 'The Shape of Things to Come' is an outstanding display of thought and imagination working in cohesion to produce H. G. Well's finests ever book.

3.0 out of 5 stars The shape of things to come, 20 Feb 2013
Mr. D. J. WESTON "norman knight" (Derby,England) - See all my reviews
I found it well written and enjoyable to an extent but I was dissapointed to find it wasn't the same as the film I had seen!

The Shape Of Things To Come
The Shape Of Things To Come by H.G. Wells (Hardcover - 17 Feb 2011)
9.09