Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 November 2010
Let me start by saying I really enjoyed this and Wake which went before it, but Robert Sawyer has an awkward style and is sometime not a 'fluent' read.

His ideas are good and though provoking, and he develops them well, but you are never going to get a rip-roaring adventure story from him. Also he does tend to set a scene just enough to allow the story to develop and then move on - as an analogy it's a bit like having theatrical backdrops rather than filming on location.

Finally this with 'Wake' (and, I presume Vol3 'Wonder' to come), aren't really a trilogy but a single novel in published in three parts - they don't exist or make sense in isolation.
Having read the original (Wake) I really did want to get on with this offering as soon as I could as I'd had a great time reading the first title in the series. I hoped that it would work beautifully in conjunction without contradicting . What unfurls is a title that not only expands beautifully to the world already developed but allows descent character growth as well as backed up with some great dialogue alongside plot outline.

Robert is definitely a name to watch (as if you're not already) and will definitely be one to whom a great many are compared to in the future taking on the role of the standard setter from those who came before such as Arthur C Clarke.
on 6 January 2013
Great continuation to the trilogy.no cos outs here. I really enjoyed this and have purchased part 3. I recommend the whole trilogy. The momentum is kept up throughout the second book.
on 25 July 2013
I like Robert .J. Sawyer first of all, and this trilogy does not disappoint. Good 2nd chapter of a very good sci-fi story.