4.0 out of 5 stars Not for newbies
If you're new to the wonderful world of Sookie Stackhouse then please don't buy this book...yet. Like many other readers I was expecting the next novel but as you have read by now this is a collection of short stories that occur at different times in the storyline so if you have just started reading the books or aren't too far along then by reading this you'll learn...
Published on 12 Nov. 2009 by PJ Rankine

3.0 out of 5 stars Filler-inner?
I'll be honest, I've only started reading the Stookie Stackhouse books since True Blood started on the telly but I've been pretty hooked pretty quick so I was looking forward to instalment 10. The short story format is interesting as it gives us discreet (episodal?) glimpses into Sookie's life. Plus there is a slight departure from the first person in the last story "Gift...
Published on 28 Oct. 2009 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Little bits of dead, 18 Mar. 2010
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Touch of Dead (Paperback)
Like most urban fantasy authors, Charlaine Harris puts out a lot of short stories when she isn't writing full-length novels. And thankfully, Harris has produced "A Touch of Dead" -- a short story collection that brings together (almost) all of her Sookie Stackhouse short stories, with their mellow Southern charm and slightly chilling urban fantasy flavor.

But be warned: this is not a new book, it's a short story collection. It's got five stories and rather enlarged print.

In "Fairy Dust," Sookie is already in a bad mood when fairy Claudine arrives at Merlotte's, seeking her psychic brand of help -- she and her brother Claude want to find the murderer of their sister from a local strip club. They have three suspects tied up at their house, and they want Sookie to do her mind-reading thing to discern who murdered Claudia.

"One Word Answer" has Sookie receiving an unexpected legacy when her wild cousin Hadley meets with an "Unfortunate Incident" ("My cousin Hadley, the cheerleader, had become a vampire lesbian
voodooienne. Who knew?"). But she suspects that she isn't getting the whole story from a slick lawyer and weird vampire. And "Dracula Night" comes up when Sookie is invited to celebrate the birthday of Dracula -- and like Linus, Eric is sure that Dracula himself will appear. Of course, nothing goes that smoothly.

Then Sookie gets "Lucky" when Greg Aubert reveals that he thinks his insurance agency is being sabotaged, and Sookie soon discovers a supernatural "in" using one of his family members. But the answer might be something a bit more bizarre... and it might have to do with his flourishing business. And Christmas in Bon Temps inevitably leads to "Gift Wrap" -- a lonely Sookie goes for a walk, and stumbles across a strange, naked young man, who gives her a Christmas to remember... and not just in the way you think.

The stories in "A Touch of Dead" have all been published elsewhere, just never before in one big Charlaine-Harris-exclusive volume. These stories are relatively lightweight compared to the full-length Sookie Stackhouse novels, but they are really entertaining and well-written -- and though each story has Harris' pleasant, down-to-earth Southern charm, they also have a good range of emotion -- from bittersweet to creepy, hilarious to mysterious.

And Harris infuses the prose of each story with gentle humor, from vampiric holidays to Sookie having to read the minds of an average suburban family. Her prose has plenty of lovably tongue-in-cheek moments ("I wouldn't have thought northern Louisiana was very hospitable toward beings of the fairy persuasion, anyway"), and Sookie has plenty of fun little moments with witty humor ("I hate it when fairies come into the bar. They don't tip you worth a toot").

Sookie herself is the same as always -- a sensible, matter-of-fact woman with a wee ruthless streak, and a tendency to find herself in the middle of the supernatural action. Sometimes it comes to her, and sometimes she goes to it. And assorted other favorites appear in the story: the cool and calm Vampire Bill, an unusually fanboyish Eric, the fairy Claudine (plus her hot stripper brother), the adorable Bubba, and the ever-awesome Pam.

"A Touch of Death" is a little buffet of previously published Sookie Stackhouse stories, but it's nice to have all these little nuggets of light urban fantasy fun in one volume. At the very least, it might tide you over until the next novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trueblood The Book Series, 8 Mar. 2010
I am now almost quarter of the way through the final book ( can't wait for the new one in June!). I have only one real criticism. Having already seen Season 1 on TV and read the first 2 books, I went onto Amazon and ordered the next 7. By the time I got through the next few books, I was totally confused. There were mentions of a fire in Sookie's kitchen, The Pyramids of Giza disaster - Jason married????? what is all this about, I asked myself. I went back to the previous books, into the front cover to check the order of reading the books only to find that, the books shown are NOT in chronological order. I had to go onto a website (Fantasy fiction) to discover the proper order of the books releases, and find I was a couple of books ahead of myself. I was quite disappointed in this. such a simple mistake on the part of the publisher, but one that spoilt the series for me.Still not to worry, I have caught up now and looking forward to reading the rest of this 9th episode. Sookie is a sweet girl who hides many secrets, I wonder how she keeps up with herself. I also wondered how she managed to stay alive, was she living a charmed existence. Seems she IS!. All in all, I love this whole series and will be sad when it comes to an end. Not only are these books easy to read, I find them all quite amusing, despite the blood and gore and some of the sexual content, it is written in such a way that it does not cause offence or mental trauma. ps If Eric is free some night, send him around. haha

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to spend an evening, 4 Nov. 2009
You'll finish 'A Touch of Dead' in just a few hours but they'll be very enjoyable!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gap filler in the "Southern Vampire" series, 4 April 2010
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
"A Touch of Dead" is an anthology of five short stories for which those Sookie Stackhouse fans; thirsty for something to fill in missing gaps in the series, can truly savour.

Fairy Dust
Sookie is roped in to help Claudine and Claude interrogate the humans suspected of the murder of a fairy; their triplet Claudette.

Dracula Night
Eric is on tender hooks hosting a lavish party in the hopes Dracula will attend. Of course with Sookie invited, it's going to prove a night to remember.

One Word Answer
Sookie learns of the death of her cousin Hadley and encounters Mr Cataliades for the first time. But who is manipulating whom when the killer is unmasked?

Lucky
Greg Aubert, the insurance salesman and secret magic user thinks his luck has run out. Naturally the person he goes to for help is Sookie and she in turn ropes in her housemate Amelia.

Gift Wrap
Alone on Christmas eve, Sookie helps a wounded werewolf hide. He in turn gives her a night to remember, yet proves to have a secret agenda.

These are great short stories for fans of CH's "Southern Vampire" books and "A Touch of Dead" certainly enhances the series. Throughout this anthology Sookie proves yet again that she is just unable to live a normal, paranormal free life as a variety of vampires, shape shifters and magic users either request her help, or just plain drag her into their problems. Sookie definitely lives in exciting times.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gap filler in the "Southern Vampire" series, 31 Jan. 2010
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Touch of Dead (Paperback)

Fairy Dust

Dracula Night

One Word Answer

Lucky

Gift Wrap

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming., 26 Feb. 2010
As a fan of the True Blood television series I decided to see whether the books were as addictive as everyone claimed they were. I received the boxset of the first eight novels for my birthday a few weeks ago and found them easy to read and very compelling. Two of my friends warned me that before the sixth novel I should read this short story collection to gain insight into what had happened to Sookie's cousin Hadley as they both had read the book feeling slightly confused to what had occured and hadn't realised there were short stories relating to the novel's until after they'd finished all nine books!

I'm glad I took their advice and read the first three stories in the collection (apparently the last two relate to later books that I haven't had chance to read yet) as they filled in a bit of the background to strands of the story that had been hinted at overall. I must say, I felt slighly underwhelmed as I received the impression that the author has simply written the stories due to demand from her readers- and not because she felt the stories were important to the overall Sookie saga.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 10 Nov. 2009
P. Brier (uk) - See all my reviews
I love the Sookie Stackhouse series, but found this book very disappointing. It also wasn't written in the same style as the other books.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Touch of Dead, 19 Jan. 2010
J. Turpin - See all my reviews
I have only been aware of the Sookie Stackhouse books for a couple of months but have now read all of them. I would strongly recomend you DO NOT BUY this book as it does not follow on form Dead and Gone and is not value for money. The book consists of five short stories (very short as the book has only 172 pages of writing and is of a larger type set then previous books) Fairy Dust, Dracula Night, One Word Answer, Lucky and Gift Wrap.All are set at different dates in time and I guess the idea was to give us some insight into events which were skipped over in the main books. Indeed One word Answer achieved this detailing events imediately after Hadley death however I found the other stories very poor. The characters were not consistent with previous behaviour;leaving me wondering if Eric would worship another vampire? and would sookie ever have a one night stand?. I found the stories were not up to usual standards and i was easily able to figure out what was going to happen next as they lacked any complexity. I would say get this from the library or wait till it comes out on paperback. It is not part of the series and I get the feeling the author is milking her fans with this one. Roll on May 2010 for the real thing.

1.0 out of 5 stars why book 11?, 22 Aug. 2012
This review is from: A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse 11) (Paperback)
When its so clearly not the 11th book in the series, why call it that in the header?? And again, changing the covers anoys me. Yes I like my books in orders, looking the way they should.

So, the one star, dont take notice, I had to do that in order to complain.

Part from that; I love the Sookie Stackhouse series, though I am not, a fan of the tv show. ..!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for those with withdrawal symptons waiting for the next novel!, 8 Aug. 2012
This review is from: A Touch of Dead (Kindle Edition)
I've read all of the True Blood books. I love the books and I love the TV Series. The books tide me over until the next series is on tv because I really love my Eric (and of course Sookie) fix! lol. These are short stories - to me they tide you over for little short fixes, but they don't feel like the author put her usual 'all' into them. The short stories come before some of the books, so characters that have previously been killed, crop up. The stories are a little naf, but an easy read and hey, I love her novels of True Blood and these little stories, although not her best, are an easy short burst read. I miss my Eric - come on Charlaine - get writing the next Novel please!

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse 11)
A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse 11) by Charlaine Harris (Paperback - 19 Aug. 2010)