4.0 out of 5 stars Not for newbies
Published on 12 Nov. 2009 by PJ Rankine

3.0 out of 5 stars Filler-inner?
Published on 28 Oct. 2009 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for newbies, 12 Nov. 2009
PJ Rankine (Wallington, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
If you're new to the wonderful world of Sookie Stackhouse then please don't buy this book...yet. Like many other readers I was expecting the next novel but as you have read by now this is a collection of short stories that occur at different times in the storyline so if you have just started reading the books or aren't too far along then by reading this you'll learn stuff you shouldn't know yet which could spoil your enjoyment of the unfolding story. Otherwise this was like ice cream, delicious but gone too soon which is why it gets four stars and not five.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back stories & insights, 26 Oct. 2009
M. Daly (England) - See all my reviews
I automatically expected the next novel continuing the story of Sookie but this book is 5 short stories. Three giving a back story and two insights into Eric and the life Sookie leads now. How Sookie found out about Claudette's death; the third of the fairy triplets and how Claude and Claudine acquired the Strip club. The first time of meeting the vampire queen of Louisiana & Mr Cataliades on the death of her cousin; referred to by Sookie but told here in detail. A third story tells of how Sookie & Amelia turn detective using both their skills to help an insurance agent, an amusing and moral tale. The story of Dracula Night celebration finds Eric in hero worship mode. It is unexpected and entertaining. The final story centers on Sookie's loneliness and her Great-grandfather's idea to cheer her up, which if this has occurred prior to Bill's entry on the scene would have had a very different result. All in all the stories fill in between the various books and also provide an insight into the characters in the novels. I found these stories enjoyable but look forward to the next full length novel. Like all short stories they are over too quickly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Filler-inner?, 28 Oct. 2009
I'll be honest, I've only started reading the Stookie Stackhouse books since True Blood started on the telly but I've been pretty hooked pretty quick so I was looking forward to instalment 10. The short story format is interesting as it gives us discreet (episodal?) glimpses into Sookie's life. Plus there is a slight departure from the first person in the last story "Gift Wrapped" which was also new.

For me though, I was hoping for more development rather than explanation and ellaboration on established situations. Plus, like many readers I suspect, I would have like to see more Eric who only featured in one story.

That said, I don't regret buying "A Touch of Dead". There aren't many writers who can sound out a voice so clearly (accent and all) in your head as you read so it hit all the buttons on that score (If you enjoy that very defined first person style I recommend Hellfire by Mia Gallagher, totally different genre but an amazing book) and I also enjoyed the typical Sookie blend of strength and vulnerability that Charlaine Harris delivers so well.

Also, and maybe you'll think I'm really weird for mentioning this, the book itself - hardback, thick pages, very easy-on-the-eye type face was incredibly comfortable to read.

In short, as a fan of the Sookie Stackhouse series I enjoyed this book but would only recommend it on that basis. Newbies to the series should leave it alone until they've read the rest otherwise I imagine they will wonder what all the fuss is about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected but good, 31 Oct. 2009
Ray G (North Yorks) - See all my reviews
If I had realised beforehand that this was a collection of short stories I would not have bought it, and missed out on a very funny book. Like the other reviewers, I'm looking forward to the 10th book in the series. This is for anyone who has read and enjoyed the other 9 books, as it fills in some gaps between the stories as well as adding a few new ones. Although why the stories weren't included as part of the original books is a mystery to me. The story 'Gift Wrap' is both a lovely and totally unethical story that makes me glad to be 1, happily married and 2, have no fairy great-grandads (to my knowledge). There is also lots involving Bill but not enough of Eric. All in all, a good read with plenty of dark humour.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sookie Stackhouse short stories in order, 3 Oct. 2010
M. E. Pike "starfishuk" (Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse 11) (Paperback)
This book is a collection of five short stories about Sookie that take place at various points in the time line of the True Blood novels.

I really wish I could have my memory wiped clean and restart the series allowing me to read these in order with the others, as I feel this would have helped my enjoyment of this book more. The stories contained in this book have already been released and are contained in other compilation books which feature other short stories by different authors. These books are as follows:

"Powers of Detection" which features "Fairy Dust";
"Many Bloody Returns" which features "Dracula Night";
"Bite" featuring "One Word Answer";
"Unusual Suspects" featuring "Lucky"; and
"Wolfsbane and Mistletoe" featuring "Gift Wrap".

If you are lucky enough to still be at the start of your True Blood journey then the specific order to read these short stories in conjunction with the main books, according to the author, are:

Book 1: Dead Until Dawn
Book 2: Living Dead in Dallas
Book 3: Club Dead
Book 4: Dead to the World
"Fairy Dust" should be read here followed by "Dracula Night"
Book 5: Dead as a Doornail
"One Word Answer" should be read here
Book 6: Definitely Dead
Book 7: All Together Dead
"Lucky" to be read here
Book 8: From Dead to Worse
"Gift Wrap" to be read here
Book 9: Dead and Gone
Book 10: Dead in the Family

I apologise if this seems a bit obvious....

I don't however feel my enjoyment was totally ruined by reading these after finishing all the current books that have been published. The stories themselves offer insights and fill in some of the gaps in Sookie's history. Charlaine herself offers an apology at the start of the book that sometimes the continuity may not always be true but I can't say I noticed. I particularly enjoyed Gift Wrap but the others didn't really seem to have much about them. Even the story that features Eric was a little bit of a let down but hey, it's Eric so it's not all bad. All in all they are most definitely worth a read even if truthfully they don't really add that much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff but I prefer the longer novels- they have more 'bite', 3 Jan. 2010
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As a big fan of the Sookie Stackhouse novels, as well as Charlaine Harris, I have to confess I was looking forward to reading this anthology of short stories. The stories are based at specific points during the 'Southern Vampire Mysteries' timeline- if you're a newbie to the Sookie novels I'd say not to start with this book, mainly due to the characters involved, some of which are based in the later parts of the series- like Amelia and Sookie's grandfather.

The stories are fun- I whizzed through the book in just over an hour- and not too taxing. I adore Sookie of course, so it was nice to see what she got up to between series as well as engaging with some of the other characters- there's Were's and witches a-plenty, plus the ever adorable Bubba and kooky Amelia to name but a few.

My complaints? Not enough Eric! Or Sam Merlotte! Other than that the stories were cute, but lacking the gore and sexiness that usually sizzles in the main series. I was a bit disappointed in places and felt the final story in the anthology had a slightly bizarre ending, but cheered up when I was reminded that the next Sookie book is released in May this year. Can't wait! If you're a Sookie fan, it's well worth your time checking this collection out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Previously published stories from various anthologies., 30 Dec. 2009
Detra Fitch (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Fairy Dust (from Powers of Detection)

One of the fairy triplets is killed. Claude and Claudine ask for Sookie's help. Sookie goes to their domicile, where three suspects are being held. Sookie needs to interrogate each, delve into their minds for the truth, and figure out which is guilty of the crime.

Dracula Night (from Many Bloody Returns)

Eric Northman invites Sookie to his club, Fangtasia, to celebrate Dracula's birthday. Each year Eric has high hopes that Dracula will appear at his party. This time someone steps forward claiming to be the Prince of Darkness, but is he really?

One Word Answer (from Bite)

Sookie and Bubba are raking leaves at midnight when a limo pulls up. A half-demon lawyer, Mr. Cataliades, and his driver, Waldo, exit the vehicle to inform Sookie of her cousin Hadley's death.

Lucky (from Unusual Suspects)

Greg Aubert, Sookie's insurance agent, asks for her help to figure out who has been breaking into his office at night. Sookie's friend, Amelia, assists in solving the mystery. Turns out that more than one thing is happening after hours.

Gift Wrap (from Wolfsbane & Mistletoe)

On Christmas Eve, Sookie is alone and feeling more than a bit depressed when she stumbles upon a wounded werewolf. Sookie hides the injured Were from those hunting him. In return, the werewolf give her a gift she will never forget.

*** THREE STARS TOTAL! Each of these Sookie Stackhouse stories has been published before in various anthologies. Beside each story title, I name the anthology it appeared in. An Introduction by Charlaine Harris explains the stories, their origins, and sequence of events. I feel that each tale is worthy of your time to read; however, due to being short stories they are not as well developed as the actual full-length dramas. ***

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrongly states this is book 11, 28 Feb. 2011
This review is from: A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse 11) (Paperback)
I should have read the reviews instead of just buying this book, but i had just finished reading book 10 and wanted to carry on straight away.
THIS IS NOT BOOK 11 AS IT STATES ON AMAZON.
This is very misleading Amazon and needs altering as i bought this book in good faith that it was number 11, then as soon as i started reading it, it has characters in it that have died in the book i just finished, book 10, so very confusing.
Please relable this book. Book 11 comes out in May 2011.
Get it right Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 18 Jan. 2010
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Like many people recently, my first introduction to Sookie Stackhouse was through the excellent television show TrueBlood. I found this book in the library and thought I'd give it a whirl to decide whether the books would be as entertaining as the television show. As a taster this is not half bad. Five short stories showing Sookie in a variety of stages of her literary existence, and introducing us to a wider cast of supernatural characters than has so far been featured on the tv.

The stories are a quick, amusing and pacy read. The whole book took me about an hour from start to finish and although I would have been disappointed to have paid for this in hard back, because of the length and flimsiness of the stories, they were fun and have whetted my appetite for more. As Harris explains in the introduction, they slot into Sookie's history at several stages of her life, and so for those who are fans of the novels these stories will be an absolute must to provide fascinating glimpses into life between the novels, and back story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for those with withdrawal symptons waiting for the next novel!, 8 Aug. 2012
This review is from: A Touch of Dead (Kindle Edition)
I've read all of the True Blood books. I love the books and I love the TV Series. The books tide me over until the next series is on tv because I really love my Eric (and of course Sookie) fix! lol. These are short stories - to me they tide you over for little short fixes, but they don't feel like the author put her usual 'all' into them. The short stories come before some of the books, so characters that have previously been killed, crop up. The stories are a little naf, but an easy read and hey, I love her novels of True Blood and these little stories, although not her best, are an easy short burst read. I miss my Eric - come on Charlaine - get writing the next Novel please!

A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse 11)
A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse 11) by Charlaine Harris (Paperback - 19 Aug. 2010)