5.0 out of 5 stars The best sci fi novel ever. Buy it now. Right now.
This is the greatest science fiction novel ever written, and in my humble opinion one of the greatest novels of the 20th Century. Strangely, it has long been known to me as "Tiger Tiger" and I have never got used to this, its original title.
Underneath the superb and imaginative futuristic setting is the story of a man transformed from a Dave...
Published on 20 April 2000 by James Adamson

3.0 out of 5 stars jaunting and telepathy - nice ideas!
My return to the reading world of science fiction is not without flaw. I found this book difficult to read. My strong preference is that the differences to the world in which science fiction novels are written are clearly and simply explained. This novel fails my test! There is only really confusion over many aspects of the storylines. A little like many of the old...
Published 12 months ago by Ter

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book - will stay with you for a long time, 29 April 2002
C. M. CHOWN (UK) - See all my reviews
After reading this book I turned to the fly pages to see when it was written. I expected late 90,s but was amazed to find it was written in the late 50's. Bester's book is an incredible vision of vengeance, power, and redemption. An imaginative and memorable book in the best tradition of intelligent sci-fi and one that, as a fairly choosy reader of sci-fi, I can thoroughly recommend to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars At long last its available again!, 10 Jan 2000
By A Customer
My copy of this book is called "Tiger Tiger" and when I read it back in the early 1970's it blew me away. I still go back and read it every couple of years and it is one of the very few books that I can say entertains me just as much every time. This is a SF Classic in every sense of the phrase

4.0 out of 5 stars A great groundbreaking sci-fi novel., 24 July 2010
Lendrick (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Stars My Destination (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
This novel has a heck of a reputation, and arrives with quotes from various sci-fi authors on the back saying how brilliant it is, so it is hard to read it without high expectations. Expectations that, for me, it doesn't quite live up to.

It is a remarkable book, particularly considering it was written in the 50s, and Gully Foyle the central protagonist is a memorable, brutal yet sympathetic anti-hero.
The book cracks along at a great pace, a bit like an action movie script. Though with sections of exposition between the big set pieces. But it's all just a little to fantastical, and Gullys ability to escape from pretty much every threat starts to wear after a while. Also while the core characters are intriguing the world in which the live is bare sketched in.

But having set that is is a very good and memorable read, well worth it place on the list of great sc-fi novels. But for me nor quite as great as the plaudits suggest.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review, 26 Sep 2009
C. Warwicker (Coventry) - See all my reviews
It was okay, certainly readable but in my opinion not worthy of all the great reviews it's had.

The characters didn't seem particularly realistic to me, they were too cartoonish, and the plot was a little hard to follow at times. I think 3/5 is a reasonable score for it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overrated yarn, 15 Aug 2010
Duncan Drury (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Stars My Destination (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
This highly regarded sci-fitle yarn with an intellectual sounding title (and nod to William Blake in its original UK title "Tiger, Tiger") ultimately reads like a season of Heroes - the plot jumps around somewhat implausibly even within the story's logic - suddenly the protagonist is deeply in love with another character - suddenly with another character. In the space between two chapters Gully Foyle has become the richest man in the solar system with no explanation how.

Despite Neil Gaiman's slightly pompous introduction claiming that the book charts the development of Gully Foyle, the characters' sole purpose is to deliver the ideas of a fantastic distant future that are crammed into the novel. These are the strongest point of the book, and no doubt the real reason writers such as William Gibson are quoted on the cover as saying it is the sci-fi novel they most enjoyed. I can't really say the same myself. This is on a par with Harry Harrison's "Stainless Steel Rat", not the best of Sci-Fi. Fun, and a classic of sorts, but not great fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars "But when dawn came, she saw his face.", 13 April 2003
By A Customer
I only have one thing to say about this book: It is the greatest SF novel ever written. By anybody. EVER.

4.0 out of 5 stars Creative but tests credibility, 26 Sep 2008
John M "John M" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This book was written in the 1950's and certainly compares well with other Sci-Fi of this era, therefore justifying its status as a classic. It is fast paced with plenty of action, although sometimes requiring the reader to flick back to remind oneself of how a character got to a certain position. On the positive side it is quite inventive and innovative with interesting concepts, and generally quite well written. However, some of concepts, scenarios and characters really challenge credibility, which detracts from an unwise good book. For example, as other reviewers have mentioned, some characters appear to change their allegiances for very little reason, the major character undergoes a peronality shift, and his incarnation as Fourmyle of Ceres with his surgically enhanced powers seems a little preposterous. The ending is rather weak. All in all, a reasonably good read but requiring considerable suspension of disbelief. I'd prefer to give it 3.5 stars, if it were possible.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas but old fashioned and clumsy, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Stars My Destination (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (Paperback)
First off, I would say that this book does have some good ideas, especially when you consider how long ago it was written. But that's just it. It's very old fashioned and is really quite dated. The plot is silly, the characters wooden, and the writing clumsy. Not to spoil the plot but quite early on the hero (anti-hero) rapes one miss Wednesbury. Fair enough but why didn't miss Wednesbury simply jaunte out of the situation, she was a teacher of jaunting after all? The whole circus thing, when Foyle returns is just plain silly and very boring. So disappointed with this book and I agree with the previous poster who questions the calibre of the selections for SF Masterworks. Have read some decent ones though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 24 Oct 2014
OK

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind blowing SF, 21 Feb 2003
The Stars My Destination (or Tiger! Tiger!, a title I prefer) is toweringly imaginative novel. Searing in its vitality and scope it details the path of redemmption of Gully Foyle through a world exotic but similar to our own. A part of the SF Masterworks series, this novel stands on its own; "a model, a template" and a personal favorite of Gibson. Marvelous stuff and gripping to the end. Even though it was written in 1956 it has not dated significantly. It'll be one of the best SF books you ever read.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 | Next ›

The Stars My Destination (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
The Stars My Destination (S.F. MASTERWORKS) by Alfred Bester (Paperback - 29 Mar 2010)