5.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, great read.
I am relatively new to the Sci-Fi genre but this book had me thouroughly immersed in the setting. The book gets you right into the action from the word go and keeps going at pace right until the finalie.

It incorporates enough of the Sci-fi gadgets and futuristic technology that makes the genre what is, while not being burdened with them; The story is still...
Published on 15 Mar. 2011 by BaronVonDrew

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but gets a bit stuck in the mire
The set-up and introduction of the central character are excellent as is the refreshing start-point location of a future dystopian Dundee. There are some really original ideas and the imagined universe is gritty in a way that reminded me fondly of early Gibson. The alien threat is also imaginatively and originally handled as is the general broken-down Britain which...
Published on 5 Sept. 2010 by Fluxian

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire, 2 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Veteran (Kindle Edition)
Other reviewers have compared this to Neal Asher and Richard Morgan and suggested that if you like them you'll like this. Well, I do like both of those authors but I don't like this.

I'd be more inclined to compare it to the poorer end of the military sci-fi stuff that Baen churn out, but it isn't anywhere near as good as that either.

Tedious and badly written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read. Buy it!, 8 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Veteran (Paperback)
Stop reading this review and buy the book... Simple.
5 stars. I loved it and couldn't put it down!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for fans of Richard Morgan but may be too similar, 21 Nov. 2010
Neil J. Pearson (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veteran (Paperback)
The blurb says "best debut since Altered Carbon" I think "Best Richard Morgan book since he stopped writing sci-fi" would be more apt. If you enjoyed Morgan's Kovacs books you will be hard pressed not to like this. Dystopian future with lots of macho hard-men. The main difference here is that the lead is not an unstoppable killing machine and tends to get trashed by pretty much everyone (a refreshing change). Another addition are the aliens, which thankfully are very alien and avoids the common mistake of humanising them. I also enjoyed the idea of creating God via the internet. The book does tend to have overlong arguments/debates at points which slow the book down and diminishes what should have been a pivotal scene in the final act. The actual ending is a bit sudden but this is still an entertaining sci-fi action book and an impressive debut. It will be interesting to see whether the sequel develops a stronger sense of identity and seeming though Morgan now writes fantasy it's good to have a potential replacement.

1.0 out of 5 stars veteran review, 2 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Veteran (Kindle Edition)
Please be aware Veteran is almost certainly a self published effort(something which i feel should be identified at purchase). i did not feel i got value for money buying this as i found the book incoherent and poorly written. although some concepts could have been interesting the book lacked any form of structure that would have allowed for sufficient exploration of ideas. i did not finish the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable Debut, 27 Jun. 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Veteran (Hardcover)
To be honest more a military title than a Sci-Fi one (although it is set in the future.) It is well written, the context pretty reasonable backed up with some solid pace alongside some descent dialogue. Add to the mix good character development and a spartanesque descriptiveness and its got some real backbone going for it. What didn't help was my lack of caring for the principle protagonist which made this offering a struggle as without that element I really couldn't get as involved with this title as it really does deserve which is a great shame. With luck the author will improve on this for his next title and give me something that I think the title was lacking but for a first novel, it goes to show that Gollancz is very good at talent spotting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great Debut., 5 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Veteran (Hardcover)
I can't say this book was rotten but it would have worked better as a Graphic Novel.

The story starts off promising, then scene after scene of the main protagonist being beaten senseless but still coming out on top began to get boring. There were some good ideas laid out for example; Them, the prosthetic limbs, the sub-aqua marine squad. Most of it was over played in the end and it was an effort to finish.

This guy was seriously badly advised by his editor. Al lot more could have been made of the ideas and the writing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry I bought this but Top Marks Amazon for refund, 25 Nov. 2011
Robert (Uxbridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veteran (Kindle Edition)
I read through the first couple of chapters before deleting this from my Kindle. I am really sorry I did not try the free first chapter. I found the protagonist characterless and the locale two dimensional. There was nothing that gripped me or even made me want to keep on reading. EDIT - actually - full marks to Amazon, They refunded me on this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Was anyone else reading the same book as me?.., 28 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Veteran (Paperback)
Im thinking that maybe there were two versions of this book knocking around and that I got sent the rubbish one.. but no.

Seriously, this book is dross. There are just so many things wrong with it that I dont know where to start...

Plot. Gaping holes. I mean things happen for seemingly no reason, and the author just seems to think that by blasting forward with some more action, then these will be forgiven. Theyre not.

Characters. I really couldnt care less about *any* of the characters in this book. In fact, I just kept hoping they would die so I wouldnt have to read any more..

Seriously, this guy obviously has some writing tallent, but this book doesnt show it off at all. Its just a regurgitation of all the books in the genre that he has obviously read and then vomited up in some sort of random order...

Very disapointed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Veteran
Veteran by Gavin G. Smith (Paperback - 12 May 2011)