5.0 out of 5 stars A Sassy, Hot New Vamp Chick is in Town.
Blurb

Published on 13 April 2009 by shaz17

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't hit the spot
Some girls bites has a character who is mid-twenties, with friends who are working and I expected a book that fell into the more main-stream urban fantasy genre, rather than the young adult books that are now quite common. Unfortunately, I was to be disappointed.

Published on 4 Aug. 2010 by Grant A. Claughton

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sassy, Hot New Vamp Chick is in Town., 13 April 2009
shaz17 (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Blurb

First in a brand new series about a Chicago graduate student's introduction into a society of vampires. Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn't exactly glamorous, but it was Merit's. She was doing fine until a rogue vampire attacked her. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker--and this one decided the best way to save her life was to make her the walking undead. Turns out her saviour was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now she's traded sweating over her thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan "Lord o' the Manor" Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four-hundred- year-old vampire, he has centuries' worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects her gratitude--and servitude. But an inconvenient sunlight allergy and Ethan's attitude are the least of her concerns. Someone's still out to get her. Her initiation into Chicago's night-life may be the first skirmish in a war--and there will be blood.

My view.

This has to be one of the most exciting books to come out in a long time.
It grabs you from page one and never lets you go.
Merit is a Sassy outspoken female and the fun and games has just begun. From the day of her turning, she will not let that stop her from being herself.
In this first installment as Merit is finding out what her life now entails and the adventure she is soon starting is a roller coaster ride of thrills and excitement, the lows and highs are part of a story that is a joy to read.
The undertones of pride and prejudice is funny and being a story most of us adore, adds real flavour to the book.
This Author is a RARE find, she finishes the story and doesn't leave you hanging like all the other Authors out there. You know there is more to come for Merit and can't wait for the next book to come out, just so you can read more and see what Merits new life holds in store for her.
I love this New Author already. She cares about her readers, makes you laugh, gasp and more and she is talented enough to finish her story even though it isn't over yet.

Well written, and a superb tale from a new girl on the block.
(I want book 2 NOW)lol
Truly Awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars For lovers of Karen Chance and L.J Smith, this book is ideal!, 4 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Some Girls Bite: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (Chicagoland Vampires Series) (Paperback)
I got this book during my summer holidays to get into different series' while I wile away the time between Karen Chances next release in the Dorina Basarab and Cassie Palmer series' and damn it if I wasn't surprised to find a new obsession.

Merit is my favourite kind of main character. Sassy, independant and real. She also doesn't follow her love interest around like a love sick puppy (one of the major issues I had characters like Bella from Twilight and Ever from the Immortal series).

When I'd heard that there was a "Team Ethan" and "Team Morgan", reminding me too much of Twilight for my liking, I have to say it put me off slightly. But after reading the first book I was hooked and absolutely HAD to read the next books in the series and her other books too. There's never a dull moment in the book and the characters have so much depth to them that it's easy to get attached to them... or maybe I'm just a slight bit crazy, either way I love this series. I would (and have) recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chicagoland Vampires book 1, 18 Oct. 2011
carly (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is book one in the Chicagoland Vampires Series and quite a good start to a new series. In Chicago vampires have outed themselves to the world and are trying to coexist with humans, they are split up into different houses with a master vampire at the head of each house.

Merit is the main character and she is funny, stubborn and down to earth, she comes from a rich social climbing family.Merit gets her throat ripped out by a rouge vampire and is turned to save her life by Ethan Sullivan master vampire of Cadogan house. Merit doesn't adjust to her new life well and blames Ethan for making her a vampire without her consent.

There is murder mystery and some twists throughout but the plot is very simple to me and I feel maybe this book would be more suited to YA readers. all in all I did enjoy this book and I look forward to the next: Friday Night Bites! 3.5 stars! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new series, would highly recommend, 24 April 2010
P. Dhinsa (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a great new series, you will read this book and be dying to read the next. seriously it's that good. The story is well written with humour, action and a bit of romance. The best bit of the book is definitely the main character - Merit. She is a student who is changed into a vampire by a master vampire after having her throat ripped apart by a rogue vampire. The story takes us through her reactions to vampire-life, as she learns how she fits into her Master's house and what special powers she possesses. Will she adapt? Will she ever get it on with the master vampire with whom she has a 'special' connection? Will she ever dress in sexy vampire attire or stay in her jeans and t-shirts (that so offend those stuck-up vampires!)
If you enjoy the work of Kelley Armstrong, Lillith StCrow, Karen Macinerney, Katie MacAlister, Gail Carriger, etc... YOU WILL LOVE THIS BOOK!

4.0 out of 5 stars vampires, dark urban, fantasy,, 21 Aug. 2010
What I really enjoy about this series:

Merit does not choose to be a vampire but she lives with the changes made in her life and adjusts with as much dignity as she can.
She deals intelligently and confidently at all times. She does not stupidly talk out of her ass. *cough* Rose, Vampire Academy*cough*
It's actually quite refreshing to read a character so mature and who holds herself up with dignity.

I enjoy Ethan's character because his relationship with Merit is not joyfully accepted by all of those around her. He's a 400 year old vampire and not prone to easily accept emotions and humanity. Merit constantly questions whether he is a good part of her life and how her relationship with him has changed her and whether she wants to change. This kind of self reflection - was an absolute delight for me when compared to other books where the heroine's thought processes were, "OMG! He's so hawt! We arez ment to be 2gether 4EVA! SCEWZ everyone else!" *Cough* Bella Twilight *Cough* Luce Fallen *cough* Nora Hush, Hush *Cough*
The political manuevering between the supernaturals, humans, ombudsman etc is interesting to me and it actually is thoughtfully executed. The last two books had endings that I hadn't predicted and a mystery that I didn't actually manage to figure out ahead of time which was VERY much appreciated!
Ethan is an ass - but Merit gives back as good as she takes and even though they're supposed to be in a Master/Servant relationship but they quickly end up as equal partners. Her ideas are respected and - novelty, she actually makes intelligent choices! *cough* mostly *cough*
There were strong, positive female relationships in this book. It's nice to have a character who can be surrounded by other hot, confident women without issue.
So, overall, these books were fantastic for me. I've spent three almost sleepless nights reading the books because I simply couldn't put them down until finished. For me, that's the mark of a great book!
PS. Oh, and did I mention the sexiness? Oh the sexiness!
Okay, now that I'm done - back to dancing!
*Dances*

5.0 out of 5 stars Chicagoland Vampires book 1, 30 Nov. 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Merit is a graduate student who doesn't live the most glamorous life but is happy with her lot, that is until she is attacked on campus by a rogue vampire. The rogue is chased off by Ethan but to save Merit's life he does the only thing he can do - he turns her into a vampire. Waking up to discover that she has been turned comes as quite a shock to Merit, even though she is aware of the existence of vampires (they came out to society several months ago) she had no interest in them and the last thing she wanted was to become one herself. Now she has no choice but to try and fit into the vampire world - unless she wants to live her life on the outside like the rogue who attacked her. She has to come to terms with what happened to her while at the same time try to find the rogue vampire and stop them from attacking someone else.

I'd heard good things about Some Girls Bite so was looking forward to reading it but I didn't realise just how good it was going to be. For the first book in a series I was very impressed and Chloe Neill managed to suck me into the story right from the very beginning. Although there is a lot of world building going on I really liked the way this was handled and didn't feel overwhelmed with information like you can be in some series. With the story told in first person narrative from Merits point of view you experience things exactly as she does and get to join her on her journey into the unknown. She isn't happy that she was turned into a vampire without being given any say in the matter but I liked the fact that she didn't spend the whole book moaning about her lot, she accepted things and worked to find a way to fit in. That doesn't mean she was a pushover though - she was willing to stand up for herself and earned my respect by doing so.

Merit is a very likable character and I found her easy to relate to but I was also impressed with the secondary characters in the story. I loved Merit's human best friend Mallory, it's always good to see strong female friendships in books and they have a strong bond and care deeply for each other. I loved the banter between the two of them and they had me laughing out loud on several occasions. I also loved Merit's Grandfather, Merit has never had particularly supportive parents (in fact I wanted to smack her father more than once when I was reading!) but her Grandfather was a great role model. He has a few secrets of his own and I'm pleased that we'll probably get to spend more time with him in future books. Catcher and Jeff are also both interesting characters who I'm looking forward to getting to know more about.

When it comes to love interests you have 2 very different characters to choose from. First there is Ethan - the master of Cadogan House and the vampire who turned Merit. At 400 years old he is very removed from his human life and comes across as very arrogant. There were a few things he did that really made it difficult for me to like him but there is something about him that makes you want to get to know him better. There is a strong sexual attraction between him and Merit but I liked the fact that Merit didn't immediately jump into a relationship with him. She stands up to him and puts her own needs first which was another thing I admired about her. I'll be very curious to see how things develop between them throughout the series and find out whether Merit can help him adjust his attitude. The other love interest is Morgan who is second in command of the rival Navarre House. He comes across as sweet and loyal but although there is an attraction between him and Merit it wasn't as strong as the heat between her and Ethan. I can't quite put my finger on it but there was something about him that I found off putting. I'll be curious to see if this continues when I read further books.

Overall this was a fantastic start to a new series and a book I thoroughly enjoyed. It wasn't as action packed as some urban fantasy series I've read but there was a lot of character development and I did enjoy the mystery of who was behind the rogue vampire attacks. This is definitely a series I'm looking forward to continuing and one I would strongly recommend to fans of the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vampire chick lit, 16 July 2010
PJ Rankine (Wallington, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This book is definitely one for the girls but Chloe Neill is clever enough to include enough action to keep us boys interested too. Her heroine Merit is turned into a vampire against her will in order to save her life and the main thrust of this tale is her transition from human to vamp and the effect it has on her life, friends and family. As you would expect with this sort of story there is a lot about her feelings, clothes, nightlife etc but the story canters along nicely as the author introduces the reader to a Chicago where the vampires have 'come out' but the rest of the supernatural world hasn't. She does however fall into that old cliche of the vampires being suave and sophisticated and very well dressed of course but that is what the modern vampire fan seems to want. I prefer the demonic monsters of '30 days of night' but that didn't stop me enjoying a well written light hearted story and I will certainly buy the next one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't hit the spot, 4 Aug. 2010

Some Girls Bite follows through on a lot of the young adult themes. All of the "good" guys fall in love at once, all in the first book. There is of course a lot of angst. There is a centuries old master vampire who the central character is attracted to (and vice versa of course), and who is promptly emasculated. I don't believe I've ever seen someone who is meant to be a political mastermind, a power who seeks more power, master of a powerful house portrayed worse. Lets just say the hot dog scene hit a low. And don't get me started on the real evil mastermind, who lets just say might have a few holes in their masterplans.

There is virtually no action through the book, with one or two quick scenes with minimal actual blows. Although there is a mystery, the development is poor and really not the focus of the main character. Certainly no detective work going on. The story really resolves around how sad the main character's life is, changing into a vampire, and training for the new life. While being quickly promoted past all her peers.

Frankly, if you want more of the young adult genre with a slightly older main character, you may enjoy this. Everyone else, please steer clear.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review: Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill, 31 Jan. 2013
What's Good About It

At last! A heroine who doesn't fall into the supernatural world arms wide open, ready to kick ass and fall in love with a vampire hottie!

No, Merit is all about wanting her old life back, and hating that she had no choice over her entrance into Chicago's night life. And it's great. It's so different and refreshing.

It could have got old really fast, but because Merit's reasons for her rebellion were so believable, and she as a character was so relatable, you couldn't help but route for her as she tries valiantly not to be won over by her new situation. The whole tension between her and Ethan Sullivan was explored in a tantalising way that half had you screaming `Stay away from him, the creep!' while the rest of you was calling something more along the lines of `Oh, just rip his clothes off, already!'

It's a testament to the strength of Neill's writing that you can have such conflicted feelings as a reader and enjoy it. You are right there with Merit, every step of the way, feeling out this new world as she does.

And the world building was great - Chicago's supernatural life was brought out of the page in a blaze of glorious colour: from bitchy, fighting nymphs to overenthusiastic shifters and temperamental sorcerers - even the minor players had colourful roles and characterisation.

I really enjoyed reading this, as a bit of light between some of the more depressing YA stuff I've been reading lately. I will definitely be checking the library for the next instalments.

What's Not So Good

Well, I guess there has to be a reason I'm thinking `library' not `order the whole lot on Amazon'. And that would be, I guess, that it's nothing particularly new in terms of plot. I'm not that desperate to know what happens to Merit next, and wouldn't be entirely heart broken if I never found out.

I enjoyed the time spent in her company, and wouldn't say no to a second sitting, but that need to know what happens next that defines a 5 star series for me just isn't there.

Rating: 4/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Alternative view of vampires, 22 Jan. 2013
Tried and Tested (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
When I've enjoyed a book this much I sometimes struggle to manage to articulate what it is that I've enjoyed about the book, it's a lot easier to pull something apart than to explain what's good about it but I'm going to give it a shot.

This book is written from the point of view of Merit, a Vampire who has recently been turned, this was the first draw for me, most of the books I've seen have featured a male vampire and a female human so having a female vampire was a refreshing change. I also liked the fact that it starts with Merit being turned, you could see how she coped with the change (or not, as the case may be). Merit has a wonderful support system around her; her best friend Mallory and her grandfather are the constants in her life. Mallory and Merit have a fantastic relationship, it reminds me of when I used to house share with one of my friends, their closeness is fantastic. Merit doesn't have a close relationship with her father, instead the paternal person in her life is her grandfather who's a lovely homely man, who's been harboring a secret from her.

There are a number of other paranormal characters who we are introduced to - Ethan and Morgan who are Vampires in rival houses, both of whom want a relationship with Merit and Catcher a sorcerer who she is introduced to by her grandfather. I'll be interested to see how the relationships between Merit and Ethan and Merit and Morgan progress in later novels in this series.

Finally, I like the idea of the House System, a regulatory system with a whole myriad of rules, pomp and circumstance. It stands to reason that there would be some sort of organisational system ruling over them and the paranormal world would not be dictated to by human rules but this as been lacking in many other books that I've read, it was attempted in the Twilight books but wasn't taken to this extent and I don't think it was done as well as it is here.

All in all I found this book brilliant, I couldn't put it down and I can't wait to read the next in the series!

Some Girls Bite: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (Chicagoland Vampires Series)