5.0 out of 5 stars A very good book
Published on 26 April 2009 by Ms. N. E. Yeomans

2.5 stars.

Published on 6 May 2011 by LMM

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good book, 26 April 2009
Corine is hiding in Mexico from a life she no longer wants, she left behind her boyfriend Chance and the work they did together trying to help people, work that frequently got them in trouble. Now she runs a shop selling antiques, keeping to herself and hiding her gift to read the past of an object. Corine is haunted by her childhood memories of her mothers murder at the hands of an angry mob. The ability she has was her mothers dying gift but it has a price, when she reads an object it burns her.

Unfortunately her ex-boyfriend Chance has tracked her down and he needs her help. His mother has been kidnapped and he hopes to save her using Corine's gift to read the objects left behind at the scene of the kidnap. Not wanting to go back to her old life but knowing she has to help Corine makes a deal, she'll help him find his mother if he'll help Corine to find her mothers murderers.

The book is well written if a little heavy handed with the imagery in a couple of places the book draws you in to the story very well. The two main characters Corine and Chance are well developed with background information about them worked in through out the book making them seem more real. I really enjoyed the book a lot and I am looking forward to the next book Hell Fire due out in 2010.

Below is the 'blurb' for the book:

Right now, I'm a redhead. I've been blonde and brunette as the situation requires, though an unscheduled color change usually means relocating in the middle of the night. So far, I'm doing well here. Nobody knows what I'm running from. And I'd like to keep it that way...

Eighteen months ago, Corine Solomon crossed the border to Mexico City, fleeing her past, her lover, and her "gift". Corine, a handler, can touch something and know its history--and sometimes, its future. Using her ability, she can find the missing--and that's why people never stop trying to find her. People like her ex, Chance...

Chance, whose uncanny luck has led him to her doorstep, needs her help. Someone dear to them both has gone missing in Laredo, Texas, and the only hope of finding her is through Corine's gift. But their search may prove dangerous as the trail leads them into a strange dark world of demons and sorcerers, ghosts and witchcraft, zombies--and black magic...

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting new take on Urban Fantasy themes, 12 Aug. 2009
Rachel "rachel337" (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a (mostly) well written and entertaining little book. I really liked the main character Corrine, she is likeable and believable. I especially liked that this is a very new and original take in the Urban Fantasy genre. nowadays, vamps, weres and demons are ten a penny in the genre and although there are gems (Kim Harrison, Patricia Briggs, Lilith Saintcrow, kelley Armstrong) there is a lot of woeful stuff too. Ms Aguirre has taken psychic talents such as psychokenesis, mediumship, clairvoyance and empathic ability as her characters talents meaning this is a fresh and new incarnation of the genre and the novel doesn't tread a well worn path. This is really great and brings a sparkle to the story.

The build-up, laying the groundwork for the world and its characters are handled assuredly and i devoured the first half of the book with great enjoyment. For me though, it was the action set pieces that stopped this being a five star read. Ms Aguirre did such a long and loving job with the establishing and then when action happens, it is handled more abruptly. I couldn't help thinking if she had strung some of the suspense and threat out just a few pages more with some more thorough details, this would have been a total triumph. So more 4 and a half stars really but as Amazon doesn't allow halves, I went for 4. An enjoyable novel, characters you want to see more of and some really original ideas. I will definately be reading more of Ms Aguirre's work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Heroine was in a constant state of angst about her love life. It distracted, 6 May 2011
This review is from: Blue Diablo (Corine Solomon 1) (Paperback)
2.5 stars.

When this book started off, I thought I was going to end up liking it much more than I did. It had a more adult Urban Fantasy tone in which for me was reminiscent of Signs of the Zodiac series by Vicki Petterson which I very much enjoyed the whole way through. It was a little noir-ish & the dialog was a bit hard boiled but not too OTT. I really thought I was going to appreciate Corine, the MC as a smart yet conflicted (for good reasons) heroine. She seemed to know her mind well enough & could handle herself.

The premise also seemed interesting & not too fantastical.

However, that degraded & by 75% the way through the book the eye rolls began.

Aside from being predictable...

***SPOILERS BELOW***

Corine's lamenting over Chance, the ex she walked out on, became tedious & immature. I felt her insecurity about him & the way he felt about her was borderline asinine b'c it was obvious the entire novel how he felt. Her lack of self-esteem pretty much to permeate in almost all instances, no matter how inappropriate the timing.

Example; Scooby Gang member #2, Chuch is complementing his wife Eva (member #3) on how hot she is but really, it's an obvious flattering tactic to keep her at home so she's out of harm's way. Corine's inner monologue about this?

"I probably could've taken offense that nobody thought I was so hot I'd distract the Mercs from conversation, but I decided I'd let that go. I did OK after all, Some guys dug the long hair hippie chick."

Really? She could've taken offense by what a husband was saying to his beloved wife in order to distract her to keep her safe at all costs? That earned an eye roll. Give me a break please...baring in mind the context of the situation this was a juvenile bit of dialog to throw in there & only made me come to feel Corine is too insecure for her own good so why should I be reading an entire series about her?

Her observations about Chance & what she needed from him where at highly inappropriate times on most occasions. Let's face it, they were in a supernatural war/rescue mission & a highly dangerous one at that. Yet as Chance is formulating a plan in front of the Scooby Gang & leaves to go call an integral person to help them, Corine's self-pity hit an all time pathetic level for me.

"While Chance went to look for Booke online & Chuch checked the weapons cache, I ate a bowl of bean soup breakfast. No one came to see about me. I sighed & took my bowl to the sink. I had my wounded palm & festering zombie bite on my shoulder that needed tending to. Was it unreasonable to want Chance to put me 1st? The way he blew hot & cold compromised my chief objection of resuming our relationship. With that dance, I thought he changed, but now I stood in the kitchen with a burned hand & no help. "

Ummm...earth to Corine, your in the middle of a WAR. His mom has been kidnapped which is why you were enlisted in the 1st place & oh for goodness sake....ASK SOMEBODY like a big girl to help you tend to your wound instead of standing there like Norman-No-Mate's waiting for someone to notice you!

Added to which, the woman had just pitched a fit, left Chance stranded somewhere b'c she though he was doing someone one else & so started kissing the formulaic 3rd in the love triangle. It's just so contradictory & hypocritical, it defied logic for me.

The examples go on but I'll stop there.

And on top of the redundant & inappropriate love life moaning, there was also a lot of BS about food, eating , bringing dishes to the sink, etc.. her red hair (what's the deal with that? So what she changes her hair a lot & now it's red), her bad hippie chick style (embroidered Khaki's & a enough peasant blouses to choke a gypsy) & how Chance has tiger eyes & a whipcord build. My point is that I felt it needed to be edited better b'c it read for me in fits & starts.

The world building also needs to be fleshed out and the contradictions need to be noticed in order to stop.

For example Jesse, the 3rd in the love triangle. He is am empath. Yet he had no idea that his partner was a sociopathic warlock enslaving women for God knows how long or that Corine was not guilty when he shoved her face into the ground & read her her Miranda Rights at a crime scene. He actually tells her she's lying.

Er...OK. not only does Jesse suck as an empath, but he sucks at this "mentor" thing he supposed to be to her (supposedly if you find another gifted - you become their mentor - the whole thing has yet to be properly explained) & lastly, he sucks as a potential lover.

One of these days I'm going to find a new series that I love but I'm afraid it's not looking like it's this one. I tried the 2nd book & there was more chronic waffling & lamenting & can see them coming a mile away plot twists to warrant me sticking with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Detective Romance..., 21 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Blue Diablo (Corine Solomon 1) (Paperback)
Blue Diablo introduces Corine Solomon, her ex, Chance and a new world where there are gifted - people who can read emotions, sorcerers and mediums, and handlers. Most of this novel is set on the border between Mexico and the US - which is a new area for me. Being a Londoner I don't know much about the border and how people live there but to me there was a certain atmosphere about the border that added to the feel of the story. The book reads more of a mystery and detective novel rather than a paranormal romance and while there was some sexual tension - both between Corine and Chance and with Corine and Jesse, a local cop who helps them out, it is not the backbone of the story. There are some interesting action scenes - especially towards the end. Overall, it adds something slightly different to the crowded Urban Fantasy genre

Corine isn't the only one who can save the world - she's just a regular person with a troubled past and I liked that. The world isn't even at risk - this a very personal apocalypse to the main characters. The cast of characters is varied - I really liked Chuch and Eva, who feel like a real couple and I love the way they actually help out and add to the story rather than just act as comic relief or get kidnapped. Eva especially helps out and I'd like to see more of her. The ending feels kind of rushed and - I'm hoping that can be explored in future books. There is still a lot to explore with Corine and Chance and I'm looking forward to finding out more about her past - and her future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Corine Solomon book 1, 5 May 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Corine is a handler which means that she can touch an item and know it's history but using her gift comes at a high price. She has been living in Mexico City for the last 18 months trying to hide from her ex-boyfriend Chance and the life they had together. Although they used to help people with her gift they often ended up getting into trouble and made some dangerous enemies along the way. Now Corine just wants to live a quiet life and keep her "gift" a secret.

When Chance arrives on her doorstep the last thing she wants is to get involved with him again but he needs her help. Min, someone they are both very close to, has gone missing and the only way they are going to be able to find her is using Corine's gift. Following a trail of clues to Texas they come up against a dangerous enemy - they are going to need help but it isn't going to be easy to decide who they can trust.

Blue Diablo is told from Corine's perspective and I liked her voice immediately, Corine may not be your typical urban fantasy heroine but she is a very real character that I found it easy to relate to. Her past relationship with Chance has been plagued with difficulties and although Corine left him they both still have strong feelings for each other. Despite the attraction between them Corine is nervous about letting him close as she doesn't want to get hurt again. I felt the way that Corine and Chance reacted to each other was very realistic and I'm interested in seeing things develop between them in future books in the series.

There is a great cast of supporting characters from their friend Chuch & his wife Eva to the sexy detective Jesse Saldana who is also investigating Min's disappearance. Ann Aguirre has a wonderful way of describing things making it easy to picture the scene - after reading this book it is easy to imagine that I've actually visited Mexico and Texas.

If I have anything negative to say it would be that some of the action scenes towards the end of the book felt a little rushed but I found that a minor irritation and overall I really enjoyed Blue Diablo. I thought this was a great start to a new series & I'm looking forward to reading Hell Fire and finding out what happens to Corine next.

Blue Diablo (Corine Solomon 1)
Blue Diablo (Corine Solomon 1) by Ann Aguirre (Paperback - 13 May 2010)