4.0 out of 5 stars Great Start to New Urban Fantasy Series
Published on 23 Nov 2007 by Lesley70

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time
Published on 2 Mar 2009 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Start to New Urban Fantasy Series, 23 Nov 2007
Catherine Crawfield kills vampires. Half vampire herself, she is trying to pacify her mother, who was raped by a vampire and subsequently became pregnant with Cat. At the beginning of the book we join Cat on one of her hunts, but instead of being the one doing the staking, Cat finds herself at the mercy of Bones the vampire. Deciding to work together, they join forces and pursue Hennessey a vampire who definitely deserves killing. Their feelings for one another deepen, but Cat will eventually have to make a choice between her own happiness, and the safety of those she cares about.

I don't think Halfway to the Grave is helped by being labelled a paranormal romance. I think if the romance had been allowed to develop more slowly over the course of the series and the urban fantasy pushed harder the book overall would have been stronger. As it is the relationship between Bones and Cat feels a little rushed. Also romance readers who prefer their endings to be tied up neatly need to be aware this is the first in a series.

Catherine's character doesn't really settle down for the first forty pages or so of the story. As she's a first person protagonist the story doesn't really settle down until then either. She's very much a contradiction, and I think some of this is down to inconsistency.

I find it very hard to believe that Cat at age 22 has never used hard swear words. So on p5 my suspension of disbelief went out of the window. This woman has been to school, presumably been to the movies, hangs out in bars trying to pick up vampires. I realize her mother is over protective to say the least, as are her grandparents but this didn't quite gel for me. There is an incongruity between her physical age and her thought processes, which feel younger.

Luckily once we get past p.40 the plot takes off and we are sucked into Cat's world.

Overall then, I loved it, and was racing through the pages to find out what happened next. The relationship between Bones and Catherine, their banter, their chemistry, how they spark off one another - these are the things that makes this story come alive and raise it from being just another vampire book.

There are also nice little touches that flesh the world out - the vampire club, their visit to the cemetery, hiding out with a ghoul. Cat having to rethink her prejudices against the undead, working out how to deal with her mother - the woman could have started a cult she's got so much righteous venom. We're also given lots of little things that aren't resolved. Who is Cat's father? Will we be finding out more about Ian (Bone's sire)? What are the consequences of Cat's decision going to be?

The end goes a little Buffy Season 4, but I wasn't too bothered by that. What concerned me more here was Cat's seeming invincibility. Hopefully this will be addressed in the next book, and we'll be seeing a more realistic and mature heroine. And more from Bones.

Book 2 One Foot in the Grave (May 2008)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sensual & Bloody Treat, 11 Nov 2007
'Flirting with the grave...
Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father-the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.
In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner-are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side...and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat'

'Half-way to the Grave' is the first novel in this edge-of-your-seat Night Huntress Series. Cat is a fiesty, engaging and compelling heroine. The reader is also introduced to the sensual and strong-willed Bones early on in the book. The developing beautiful relationship between Cat and Bones is a delight to read. This novel is an action packed page turner, which keeps the reader enthralled. I love the pace of this book, especially when it gathers speed towards it's exciting end. I finished this novel wanting to pick up the next. I eagerly await the sequel 'One Foot in the Grave', in April 2008.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked...., 3 April 2008
I bought this book on impulse after having spent about two hours in the book shop (not unusual for me) but I was determined to buy something.
I was not sure what to expect but this book was fantastic. I absolutely fell in love with the characters (one in particular) and loved the flow of the story.
Cat Crawfield is a half human half vampire who kills vampires, believing them all to be evil killers. The story picks up pace quickly and soon Bones is introduced and I was captured. I will admit that bones did put me in mind of Spike from Buffy as other reviewers have mentioned, but I was able to get past this fact mainly because I am a Buffy fan and was a huge Spike fan and miss the series.
I was a little shocked at the ending because this book is offered as paranormal romance, but there is a sequel coming in April 08 and I do really hope that things turn out differently by the end of that book. I am a romance fan, paranormal or otherwise, and do hope the series sticks with that premise.
Other than the ending which only left me wanting more, I enjoyed this book and have not felt so wholly captured since reading the first Black Dagger Brotherhood book by JR Ward.
Eagerly awaiting the second book while waiting for the next BDB installment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, steamy and I want to read more, 9 Dec 2007
It's a pretty enjoyable read with some steamy nookie and enough new-to-me elements of vampire lore for me to want to read more in the series. I have some nitpicks about the Britishisms used by the characters and one of the elements of vampire lore that Jeaniene Frost introduces and because this is the first book in a series, it's pretty heavy on the exposition in order to set up the scene but on the whole it's a solid and entertaining read and I would definitely want to read more in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars X-rated paranormal romance, 30 Sep 2008
Ian Williams "ianw" (Sunderland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Given the explicit sex, swearing and rampant gory violence, this isn't exactly Mills & Boon plus vampires. So, yes, I enjoyed it a lot and have already ordered the sequel. You will probably feel the same as me unless you actually wanted M&B plus vamps.

Just one thing caught my snarky attention. When offered a choice between the evolutionary and creationist origins of vampires, our heroine immediately opts for the latter, saying that she's a believer. First of all many devout Christians accept evolution without a qualm so it's hardly an either/or issue which leads me to suspect the author herself believes in the stupidity which is creationism. Or, I hope, she could just be taking the easy way out by blaming it (as has been done by several other authors in the past) on Cain.

Still, despite triggering one of my prejudices, it didn't spoil my enjoyment of this fun book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a new paranormal series, 2 Jan 2008
J. Cooper "Jude" (Hove, UK) - See all my reviews
I am surprised at the negative reviews this book has received. Rather than be annoyed at Bones' English accent I saw this as the route that Spike and Buffy might have taken had things been different...
Bones I liked, Cat I found somewhat annoying and niave - why make her 22 when she appears much younger - perhaps so that she can go into bars legitimately? However, this does mean that she can go on a personal journey throughout the book
I enjoyed the humour of the book including Timmy the neighbour and the slut talk lessons. The developing romance between Bones and Cat was also believable in my opinion.
In fact other than Cat's mother, who has a fairly tedious one-track mind, the only irritant was the convicts being sent to South Wales - it's New South Wales in Australia not Cardiff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Half vampire Vengence, 4 Jan 2008
Lisa Hamilton (Perth, WA Australia) - See all my reviews
Catherine Crawfield is a half-vampire destroying vampires left, right and centre trying to keep the love of her mother who was date raped by a new made vampire. One night she targets Bones and her world changes forever. Bones not only hones her half-vampire skills making her stronger and tougher but also makes her question her beliefs and the values that she has been raised with - especially in regard to vampires.

At the introduction of Bones into the book I found it a bit hard going - Bones sounds to much like Spike out of Buffy the vampire slayer - with his British accent and the desprition of his appearance. A lot of his dialogue even sounded scripted straight out of the series. Having read past that and how the characters developed in the story I could not put the book down. I absolutely loved this book and once having read it went straight back and re-read it. I am eagerly looking forward to the the next book in the series. People who read (as I do) Charlaine Harris, Kelly Armstrong, Patricia Briggs, MaryJanice Davidson will I am sure fully enjoy this book

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time, 2 Mar 2009
I bought this book on the basis of other reviews and feel badly misled. It is poorly written exacerbated by the belief the author's belief that she can use English slang, the misue of 'luv' and 'quid' being particularly annoying. The heroine's sad chilhood is restated repeatedly, just in case we didn't get how it screwed her up the first time we read it. The storyline is held together by a series of unbelievable coincidences and its main purpose appears to be to cobble together a series of descriptions of sexual encounters which I skipped after the first couple. This is a book I would advise you to avoid even if you are an admirer of this genre. If you only read this type of book for the sex scenes you might enjoy it but as I found them intrusive to the storyline and skipped most of them I cannot comment on how well or how badly written they are.

2.0 out of 5 stars Well below average, 13 May 2009
I bought this book one day when I was at a loss for something to read and thought it looked like it might be mildly intriguing. Unfortunately as an English person I found Bone's dialogue quite frankly annoying. The need the author seemed to feel to put 'luv' at the end of every single sentence was particularly grating. Overall I would say the action parts in this book had potential- which is the only reason this book got two stars instead of one, however the author seemed to be in such a rush to get the two main characters Bones and Cat together that she didn't really attempt to let a relationship develop in a natural feeling way. The whole thing seemed rushed and bizarre to me personally. I wouldn't recommend this book at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 great stars, 17 Mar 2014
I first started reading this series years ago, and bought the first book, then immediately bought everything else in the series that was out. I decided to re read (again) before reading the last in the series!

I love this series. It is fun, well written, full of great banter, sexy and has a great main couple! And this book is pretty much all about setting Cat and Bones up. In the next books in the series, more characters are introduced and more if the "vampire world" shown to us. So it just gets better!

An excellent 5 stars and if you have not started this series, then you need to!

Halfway to the Grave: A Night Huntress Novel
Halfway to the Grave: A Night Huntress Novel by Jeaniene Frost (Paperback - 8 April 2010)