4.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre and wacky read
Midnight Crossroad's has a writing style unlike anything I have ever read before. The best way I can describe it is as a omnipresent narrative. With that being said, It did take me a few chapters to get into- but once I was there, I couldn't put it down.

Published 5 months ago by Robyn K

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, not dreadful.
Published 4 months ago by LA

4.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre and wacky read, 8 May 2014

I am only familiar with Charlaine Harris through her Sookie Stackhouse books and I was unsure if I would like this new offering. I am pleased to say I did.

Midnight Crossroad, Texas is a bizarre town full of supernatural beings. It sounds like a old joke: A vampire, witch and psychic walk into bar; what you get is a wacky who done it with plenty of unforgettable characters.

This is a great start to a new series. It is full of unique characters; all with a story to tell. If you are looking for a book that is slightly different from the normal summer reads, then this is the book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars slow but interesting starter, 8 May 2014
Jeannie Zelos "jeanie zelos book reviews" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Midnight Crossroads, Charlaine Harris.
Arc supplied via Netgalley

I'm a fervent Sookie Stack-house fan, have reads the whole series a few times now * blush *, and enjoyed the Lily Bard series also, and when I saw Charlaine had a new series beginning I had to request a copy!
So, what did I think? Well, Sookie had me engrossed from the first page, but this has a more gentle feel. It took me a while to really get into the book, although I “knew” Bobo the other characters were new to me, not having read the other series Charlaine wrote. However they're all interesting characters and as the story moved on I felt like I was getting to know them better. It must be difficult writing a new series after so many years immersed in BonTemps, and its become such a popular series that Charlaine's name becomes almost synonymous with Sookie Stack-house...and that's a tough act to follow. Writing is tough anyway – I know, I tried ( and failed!) so following a popular novel is a real challenge but one that's working well here I think. I like the idea of meeting some of the characters as they have grown on.
Bobo is older than when I knew him, but still the same affable, generous man. The other characters each had their own quirks, Manfred, a new resident to Midnight, is an online Psychic, Fiji who's a witch ( with the fabulous cat Mr Snuggles!!), there's the Rev, slightly mysterious, very aloof, and respected by all, he does weddings and pet funerals...Lemuel, a vampire with a difference, Olivia – well, she's clearly more than human but I’m not sure exactly what she is. There are others too, but these seem to be the main characters so far, and the story slowly unfolds. Its a gentle mystery, setting the scene for some further developments from this story I suspect...and I didn't work out who or what was behind it. I like being surprised and this certainly caught me out.
It feels as though even though I think I know more about these people and the mystery that developed by the end of the novel, there's still very much more to come, and I'm hoping its going to be another fairly long series. It appears like one of those where you think once the mystery has been solved that's it, end, finis, and yet it's not, each development builds on to a larger, more complex one, and we get lost in a different world. It's a gentle start, not an in the throat, grab you and suck you in to the story that Sookie was for me, but more the slow introduction and build up of characters and story that the Lily Bard mysteries were. I enjoyed it, but I think I was expecting a more Sookie type of drama. My bad, its clearly labelled as something very different. Still – I want to read more, and see where this series is taking us. Its a subdued, gentle start, not a drama filled, emotional read. I've genuinely no idea what's going to come next, that's part of the fun, and I enjoyed this beginning to a new series.
Stars: Four, a very interesting beginning
ARC supplied via Netgalley.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, not dreadful., 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Midnight Crossroad (Midnight Texas 1) (Hardcover)
I keep hoping that we'll see a true return to form from Charlaine Harris and while Midnight Crossroad has some interesting, albeit underdeveloped characters, this doesn't compare with some of her earlier work. It does feel that there's a lot being held back for subsequent novels so there should be more to come but it would be bettter to have fewer characters to really embrace, rather than numerous characters about which you know or care little.

There are various nods to Charlaine's other series which is a treat for fans but this is unlikely to hook those new to her work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Her Sookie Stackhouse series was amazing (apart from the last one – don’t get me ..., 14 Oct 2014
So, I’ve read a lot of Charlaine Harris. Her Sookie Stackhouse series was amazing (apart from the last one – don’t get me started there!) and I simply adored her Harper Connelly (brilliant from start to finish) So I was excited to get a chance to read this new book.

Midnight Crossroads gives us some of the secondary characters from the other series, and I was overjoyed to find Manfred there – a particular fav of mine from the Harper Connelly’s adventures, who I think was an incredible character and continued to be so during his stay in Midnight Crossroads.

From a writer’s perspective, it took a while to get into the story, everyone had to be introduced and the town of Midnight Crossroads is almost a character in itself (a lovely touch) But once it got going it was very engrossing. And what a great idea to move your less-used characters into a town together, it kind of ties all her literary worlds into one – fab idea!

As long as you don’t come to it thinking you’re getting an out and out paranormal mystery, but more along the lines of the Lily Bard and Aurora Teagarden books, then you’ll be thoroughly pleased.

The front cover is perfect for the book, it features the town and has some attractive colours in there – although as it’s a Charlaine Harris, it’ll be found relatively easily regardless.

Overall, I’d give Midnight Crossroads 4 out 5 stars – I still don’t completely forgive her for what she did to the Sookie series, but this does go some way to bend the bridges.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent Harris fiction, 16 Jun 2014
Cloggie Downunder (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Midnight Crossroad (Midnight Texas 1) (Hardcover)
Midnight Crossroad is the first book in the Midnight Texas trilogy by popular American author, Charlaine Harris. Midnight, Texas looks like a pretty standard dried-up western town, with lots of vacant buildings and few full-time inhabitants. The people who do live there, as new resident, psychic Manfred Bernardo soon discovers, are a bit unusual, although most are friendly and helpful. His landlord, Bobo Winthrop runs Midnight Pawn during the day; at night his basement tenants, the chilling Lemuel Bridger and the beautiful and very capable Olivia Charity take care of the business. Fiji Cavanaugh, self-proclaimed witch, runs The Inquiring Mind in a cottage left to her by her Great Aunt Mildred, along with her unusual cat, Mr Snuggles. The reclusive Reverend Emilio Sheehan looks after the Wedding Chapel and Pet Cemetery. Madonna Reed cooks wonderful meals at the Home Cookin diner. The aptly named Joe Strong runs the Antique Gallery and Nail Salon with his partner Chuy Villegas. Shawn Lovell runs the busiest concern in town, the Gas N Go, while keeping a tight rein on his pretty daughter, Creek and handful of a son, Connor. Not long after Manfred’s arrival, the body of Bobo’s missing girlfriend is discovered, and suspicion initially falls on Bobo. A pair of strangers also threatens the peace of the town, and Midnight’s residents take steps to protect their own. A diligent sheriff from nearby Davy, Arthur Smith is determined to flush out the killer. After a somewhat slow start as Harris sets the scene, the pace picks up and this novel is as intriguing and enjoyable as Harris’s other short series: Aurora Teagarden, Lily Bard and Harper Connelly. Fans of those series will recognise Bobo from Shakespeare’s Champion, Manfred from the Harper Connelly series, and Sheriff Arthur Smith from the Aurora Teagarden series. Harris peoples this series with interesting characters, her dialogue is witty and sharp, and the plot includes a vampire, white supremacists, gays, kidnapping, Halloween traditions, arson and a truly shocking climax. Readers who enjoy this instalment will look forward to the next book in the trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best yet., 20 Sep 2014
I've long been a fan of Charlaine Harris, starting with the Aurora Teagarden books, I've read many of the Southern Vampire books, Lily Bard and the Harper books. She just gets better as a writer and Midnight Crossroad is my stand out favourite so far!
Harris takes one or two risks in this book, bold steps that I am delighted she decided on. I also love the gently bringing together of the various worlds she has created.
Midnight is home to the strange and the strays, people who can help each other out without pushing into one another's lives because they all have secrets. After Manfred moves there seeking exactly that balance of privacy and community he discovers he has come to a place where things are even stranger than he could have imagined and the psychic is far from the most unusual resident.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid First Book in a Series, 26 Oct 2014
Wobette (The Wild West) - See all my reviews
I really wanted to like this book. I loved the fact that you recognise many of the characters and that they are a little older and wiser. I love the setting, this small town that for once it's comfortable with itself and its quirky side. but it did take a while to get going. I think it's because there were too many characters introduced too quickly!

we needed to get to know Fiji and Manfred before the whole of the town rocked up. however once it has got going it was brilliant. I love Mr Snuggles and I didn't see the end coming until a page or so before the big reveal. looking forward to seeing how this series develops

5.0 out of 5 stars Midnight Crossing. Brilliant, 16 Sep 2014
Loved it.i have read all her books,and wanted to see what she would do with this one.Well, it's a bit wacky and off the wall.I have met some characters before ,so it was nice to meet them again.Its a murder mystery with a twist that I didn't see coming...the inhabitants of the town are all supernatural to a degree. The only normal one is the sheriff,who tries to investigate the death of Bobo's missing girlfriend,while the township is also is doing this.Guess who does....A witch,vampire,psychic,a cat (!) and sundry others make an enthralling tale.I am now waiting for the next instalment......

3.0 out of 5 stars Luke-warm adventure in Texas, 27 Oct 2014
mmmm well - maybe I had high hopes but this left me feeling luke-warm. Midnight is a small town in Texas, on-line psychic Manfred moves there and starts to get to know the inhabitants. I liked the promise of the story, a bit of mystery solving, a bit of a laugh, some of the characters had 'immortal' and other-worldly sides to them. But the story didn't really take off, no sizzling chemistry or shockers, not gripping plot lines, I didn't feel like I was 'there'... I'll try the next novel to see if things improve as I really do love Charlaine Harris books.

2.0 out of 5 stars ... with high expectations as I think Harris is a good auothor. However, 8 Sep 2014
I came to this book with high expectations as I think Harris is a good auothor. However, I was badly dissapointed. This book is painfully slow. More than half of the book is taken up with trival chatter between the redsidents of Midnight. Chapeter after chapeter I had to read about how 1 resident went to get their shopping, while another got her nails done. Overall very little happens in the book apside from the main murder which is dragged out endlessly.

I don't think I will be reading the next book in this series.

Midnight Crossroad (Midnight Texas 1)
Midnight Crossroad (Midnight Texas 1) by Charlaine Harris (Hardcover - 8 May 2014)