4.0 out of 5 stars Above the Snowline - Slightly Below Par?
Published on 30 Mar. 2010 by Philzee

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good
I have read the author's other books about Jant and the Castle, and enjoyed them. To be honest these are the first books in the fantasy genre I have read for many years and I've been impressed by the fresh writing style and original subject matter.

Published on 18 Aug. 2010 by John W

4.0 out of 5 stars Above the Snowline - Slightly Below Par?, 30 Mar. 2010
Philzee - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Above the Snowline (Hardcover)
Above the Snowline takes a step back to look at Jant's early life in the Circle. The story is centred on rivalry between the King of Rachiswater and his brother Raven, who is exiled to the frozen wastes of Carnich after a failed coup. With the help of his followers Raven erects a fortification that greatly displeases the indigenous Rhydanne who fear for their hunting grounds and way of life.
Jant becomes involved in this debacle when one of the Rhydanne (Dellin) travels to the Castle to petition the Emperor for aid.
That aid comes in the form of our flying diplomat, Jant.

So, that's the premise in a nutshell, but is the story any good? Personally, I thought it the weakest of Steph's efforts so far as I didn't feel it revealed why Jant is the way he is. Assuming of course that our past defines our present and we're all an amalgam of experiences old and new, I just didn't get the point in telling a story that doesn't define why Jant became the immortal he did. I wanted to read an early experience of his and say to myself: ah yes, that could suggest why he's like that or does this. Maybe I just had trouble connecting the dots; or maybe my expectations for the book were way off kilter, or maybe even I'm being way too subjective - whichever it is I couldn't ignore the growing disappointment as I read through the book.

Right - here comes the "however"...

Having said that, the writing is as accomplished as ever; being at times poetically savage and unapologetically brutal, it has the power to keep the pages turning. The story also jumps around with the points of view; instead of being completely inside Jant's head we get to experience situations through others' perspective. On the one hand this is a good thing; I thoroughly enjoyed reading the sections that weren't Jant. Indeed, probably too much as it seems to have had the unfortunate affect of turning me off him.
There's good reason for this, as even when the story shifts to his POV he fails to redeem himself. Far from being the polymath diplomat-cum-emissary he believes himself to be, his actions - both from his POV and particularly when viewed from another's - drastically contravene his boasts. For example: he is attracted to Dellin so therefore is biased in how he deals with poor old Raven. Even when the Rhydanne murder and cannibalise Ravens men Jant doesn't seem that bothered, and flits from pillar to post making a complete mess of everything; having to run to Lightning to request he sort it all out.

Perhaps this was an intentional move by Steph to show how inexperienced Jant was in his first century as opposed to how slick he is now. Perhaps but it doesn't make me like him any better.
I guess it's a personal thing as I was far more interested in Raven and his hardships than I was any other strand of the story. But what can I say; I was turned off Jant and felt sorry for Raven - so what can you do? That by no means makes this a bad story, just one I didn't enjoy as much as I thought I would. I've pointed out the writing remains head and shoulders above most novels out there today (at least the ones I try) and this is never more evident than in the speeches Dellin orates to her people. Eloquently written/argued and really leave an impression with echoes perhaps of our own folly, warning as they do the dangers of becoming dependent upon people who favour profit above all else.

So my impression that Above the Snowline is a tad below par remains firm, but has also whetted my appetite for where Steph will take us next in the Fourlands. With such a rich and vibrant; gritty and challenging world, full of plenty of complex immortals and mortals alike I think there's so much more to come and would still recommend her as one of the finest reads out there today.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good, 18 Aug. 2010
John W (Shropshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Above the Snowline (Hardcover)

I didn't enjoy this one as much though. I can understand what the author is up to - this is an opportunity to explore Jant's earlier life and some events that have influenced his character. And the changes of viewpoint let us see Jant as others see him, which is interesting.

But the changing viewpoints interrupt the flow of the story, I think we hear from too many different people and their voices are not really distinct enough. Overall it's not the exciting page-turner that the other books are.

4.0 out of 5 stars Self Contained Magic, 28 Mar. 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Above the Snowline (Hardcover)
Since Steph first came to my attention with her Troy series I've kept a close eye on all her releases as I really do like her pace, her descriptive prose and above all her characterisation. Within this offering is a tale, which is totally self-contained. It is always good when an author does this as it allows new readers a chance to try them without having to get behind a huge catalogue. Steph's writing really is some of the best out there and whilst I still think her Troy books are superior, this is a cracking fantasy novel with characters that are not only flawed but also heroic as they struggle against their fates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Mar. 2010
C. Farrell (VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Above the Snowline (Paperback)
Really good. If you follow the original closely you'll really notice how well the ties into the books already. Year of our war also contains all of the new books titles (surprise!)

5.0 out of 5 stars She's done it again, 18 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Above the Snowline (Hardcover)
I have just finished this, and am happy to say that this prequel to the other castle books is absolutely breathtaking. Her prose is as perfect as ever, and far ahead of anything being written at the moment. This book deserves to be read, as do her previous ones.

The book focuses on Jant's early life in the castle, and his coming to terms with his Rhydanne roots. But it today, and read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darkling, 31 Mar. 2010
S. Bentley "stuarthoratiobentley" (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Above the Snowline (Paperback)
Despite featuring one of the most obvious instances of irony I can think of (Jant dismisses Lightning's declaration of tragic love as dramatic nonsense, before immediately falling in love), Above the Snowline is a rather lovely novel.

A prequel to In the Year of Our War, this story features Jant, the winged immortal, tasked with travelling to Darkling, one of the Fourlands, to mediate a dispute between the Awians (essentially winged, but flightless people) and the Rhydanne (cat-like people). Jant just happens to be a mongrel of both races and has a distinct hatred of the Rhydanne because of how they cast him out because of his Awian attributes. Yet all it takes is one pretty face and determined spirit for Jant to fall in love, and that comes in the form of the widowed Shira Dellin who petitions the Emperor for aid when the Awians in Darkling steal the hunting grounds of the Rhydanne.

It's a charged situation, complicated by the fact that the governor of the area, Raven, has other plans in mind and sees the Rhydanne as less than human.

And the tragedy unfolds.

There's less humour in this story and more politics than usual but it is a page-turner and well worth reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why is Kindle edition £3 more than paperback?, 5 Dec. 2010
Andy Mcnish "andymcnish" (manchester uk) - See all my reviews
I have read the Castle Trilogy (which isn't out on Kindle yet) and this prequel is out - but is £3 more expensive on Kindle than in book form.

The publisher needs to sort their pricing out..

Above the Snowline
Above the Snowline by Steph Swainston (Paperback - 11 Nov. 2010)