5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic adrenaline filled book
Published on 21 Jan 2011 by Book Angel Emma

3.0 out of 5 stars Twilight Wannabe (except with Zombies)
Published on 11 July 2012 by Adam Stokes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic adrenaline filled book, 21 Jan 2011
Book Angel Emma (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Dead-Tossed Waves (Hardcover)
I actually read this months ago and just haven't got around to writing the review *am dreadful*. I managed to pick up a copy shortly after finishing The Forest of Hands and Teeth in the library. I walked in for a browse, was just about to leave with nothing when I turned to find the book staring at me from a display stand. How excited was I. I never expected the library to have it the week it was published, you can imagine my excitement and seeing the library stamp go on that shiny new page *bliss*.

This time the book is written from the perspective of Gabry. Gabry is roughly the same age as Mary was in TFHT but a completely different personality altogether. She doesn't crave freedom from the barriers that surround the village in order to keep the 'mudo' out. Comparatively, she views them as a symbol of security, something which she embraces fully. All she wants from life is to feel safe. As the book progressed we discover the relationship between Gabry and Mary; I found myself comparing them finding they both had very selfish/self-centred traits, not thinking how their actions would affect others. I tried to put myself in their position to imagine how I would act, I wasn't successful.

She regards the other teenagers in her village with incredulity, finding their need to put themselves in danger in order to have fun as idiotic. She feels that they take their safety for granted. Of course, she is proved right.

Images of the movie I Am Legend kept running through my head with the comparison in the plot.

The storyline is dramatic, even shocking in parts; tying together the first book with the sequel seamlessly. There is no getting away from the fact that you have to read this series in order or you wont understand the intricacies of the plot. The descriptions are dynamic and sensory; I had the feeling I could feel/smell/touch/taste/hear all of the action (not necessarily a good thing when talking about zombies, lol). I was totally immersed in the narrative. At times my body would go rigid with the tension emanating from the pages. The tension was palpable making my heart race, I even held my breath in parts. My stomach literally flipped at the 'soulers' ceremony.

There are ingenious parallels within the narrative. The idea that nowhere is safe and maybe they should return to the forest (its the ocean every-time for me). Also the parallel imagery conjured by the description of Mary and Gabry in the waves compared to the photograph of Mary's Grandmother and Mother was inspired.

I particularly liked the philosophical debate between Elias and Gabry with regard to the soul and life after death. Including the retention of our memories and feelings. What happens to our memories when we die? \Do we carry them with us onto another life/ Do they no longer exist/ Or do they live on through others? The interpretation we can gain from this debate in relation to the 'mudo' is that the body is a vessel, upon death the soul leaves the body. the soul being the essence of who we are. Therefore, the 'mudo' are just empty (very scary, flesh eating) vessels that once contained a soul.

The inclusion of Shakespeare sonnets was brilliant, the death imagery was open to interpretation depending on the situation. Genius.

Overall a fantastic adrenaline filled book. I have to admit that at the time of reading this it had not been announced that there was to be a third book. Immediately upon finishing the book, I emailed Carrie Ryan asking if there was to be a third book. It was a compulsive need to have resolution of all aspects of the plot. I will be honest and I am a big fan of happy ending. Is there a chance that we could get a happy ending in a zombie apocalypse???

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 10 Mar 2010
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Gabry has lived with her mother in the lighthouse for years. She is content with her friends, her quiet world, and dreaming of life in the Dark City where people enjoy more comforts than she is used to.

Gabry's friends are more adventurous than she is. They like to sneak out of town and explore the unsafe areas where Mudo roam. They particular enjoy going to the abandoned and dangerous amusement park on the other side of the fence. Gabry doesn't want to go where the Mudo wander - she wants to stay safe, but Catcher is going and she wants to be with him. The thought of spending time with Catcher alone and in the dark overpowers her thoughts of safety.

Gabry's trip to the amusement part quickly turns into a disaster. She is forced to grow up fast with very little information. The little she learns from her mother sends her on the biggest adventure of her life. One she never even considered a possibility. The only thing that keeps her going is the desire to learn the truth about her family and save the people she loves.

My first reaction when I started reading THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES was disappointment. I wanted more about Mary. Also, there were several times when Gabry got on my nerves.

But, after thinking about the book for a while, I have come to the conclusion that continuing the story of the people surviving life among the Unconsecrated/Mudo several years after THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH was okay. How much more could we have seen Mary do? She'd already survived the trip through the forest and found the ocean. What could she do that was more exciting than that? Plus, Gabry provides a whole new perspective on life after the Return.

I now can't wait to read the third novel in this wonderful series. Keep up the good work, Ms. Ryan.

Reviewed by: Karin Librarian

5.0 out of 5 stars So good!, 2 Jan 2014
I love these books, I love the idea of breakers and hibernation, I only dislike how savage it is, the people fall in love and then they're torn apart! In a hopeless world I'd like it a little happier, if all they have is love and survival, why doesn't the love ever last? Awesome books though, at least download the sample because it's definitely worth a read, I'll be lost when I've read the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 25 Dec 2013
Mr. Andrew Martin (UK) - See all my reviews
10 out of 10!! I am about to download the third!! The first and the second are brilliant, I hope the third is as good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good!!!!!, 15 July 2013
Really good explains a lot but I still think the forest of hand and teeth is better but I really want to know what happened to the first Gabrielle but maybe u find that out in the 3rd book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dead-Tossed Waves, 6 Jan 2013
Arggh! This book is soo good!
To be honest after reading [...] I wasn't sure if I should read it because that story wasn't as gripping as it could have been. But I am SO glad I did. If you liked The Forest of Hands and Teeth you will love this book as it is even better and still talks about the characters from the first book.
I thought the deja vu was really clever and made it feel as if you knew Gabry just because you knew her Mum (Mary) from the first book. This book was really fast paced and the surprises throughout the book are really cool.
This book made me smile the whole way through even when I was willing Gabry to run for her life.
Seriously dudes - you just have to read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The dead tossed waves by Carrie ryan, 1 Jan 2013
I enjoyed this book a lot but there were still some bits that were boring, I loved the way the story was constantly changing and this book was defiantly better than the first book. The only thing I didn't like was that some bits were quite gory.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad enough for me to quit the series., 26 Sep 2012
Robin White (Ashcott) - See all my reviews
Whilst the first novel in the series was an original, highly well written piece of zombie fiction, the Dead Tossed Waves failed to grab me in any meaningful way. I soldiered through to the end because of the high regard in which I hold 'The Forest of Hands and Teeth' but won't be reading any further in the trilogy. The originality has largely gone and it's starting to read an awful lot like a Stephanie Meyer fan-fiction. Still, I should add that the writer is definitely a talent - should she come out with another series within the science fiction genre I'd be sure to give it a go, but I'm sad to say that in this trilogy at least, the Dead tossed Waves is the end of the road for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a story of zombies and love., 30 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Dead-Tossed Waves (Paperback)
(I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to books4reviews.)
This is the second book in the `Forest of Hands and Teeth' series.
Gabrielle (or Gabry) is a teenager. She's lived her entire life in a lighthouse, surrounded on 3 sides by water and on 1 side by the forest. Her mother is very different to the other people that live in the village, she claims to have been born and raised in a village in the forest of hands and teeth, a story that the people of the village reject as delusional. The reader knows this to be true though as Gabrielle's mother is Mary - the main character from book 1 - `The Forest of Hands and Teeth'.

Gabrielle's world is a little different to Mary's in book 1, Gabrielle and her friends have only ever really heard about the Mudo (or unconsecrated) at school, and haven't had the real-life experiences that Mary had. Gabrielle has always been taught to fear what lies beyond the fence though, and the thought of her friends going over the wall to visit the old roller coaster makes her feel sick.

Her best friend Cira, and Cira's brother Catcher are both going though, and when it seems like Catcher might return her secret feelings for him, Gabrielle allows herself to go along with their plan, and follows them over the way and to the amusement park.

Gabrielle's world is soon turned upside down though when a `breaker' (a newly turned unconsecrated that is `fast' and can run), bites one of her friends, and then goes after the rest of the group. Gabrielle is saved by Catcher, but he is bitten during the scuffle, and Gabrielle sees her life crumbling before her very eyes.

Gabrielle runs, but the others are caught by the `Militia' (the men who guard the fence). Those that are bitten are killed, and those that aren't are imprisoned to await their punishment. Catcher is missing though, and when Cira begs Gabrielle to go back into the forest and look for him, Gabrielle knows that her life will never be the same again.

I really enjoyed this book. I wasn't sure where the author was going to go after `The Forest of Hands and Teeth' and I was surprised to find that so much time had passed between book 1 and book 2, and that we now had a different lead character.
Gabry is not a brave girl; in fact she's scared of entering the forest, and wants to stay safe within the fences of the village where she knows it is safe. Like many teenagers though she is swayed by the boy she has feelings for, and follows her friends into the forest. She soon realises what a mistake this is, and wishes that she could go back in time and change things.
We don't hear much from Mary initially, although we do get some revelations from her later on in the story. I wondered initially who Gabrielle's father was, but it turned out to be a much more complicated situation that I could have imagined, and I wondered exactly how much time had passed between the end of the first book and the start of the second.

Similarly to the first book we have a sort-of love triangle situation going on. In the first book this was quite a complicated affair between Mary, her best friend Cass, and the brother's Travis and Harry, and in this book it's between Gabrielle, Catcher, and a boy called Elias who comes to Gabrielle's rescue when she goes back outside the village looking for Catcher. Once again though things are never simple, and when not running for her life, Gabrielle agonises over her feelings for the two boys.

I felt really sorry for Gabrielle throughout this book, she just has so much thrown at her, and everything she has ever wanted or loved seems to be taken away from her, even if this was in part due to poor decisions on her part. First she has to deal with friends being infected, dying, or being locked away to await punishment. Then she learns things about herself and her family that she never knew before which leaves her unsure of who she even is anymore, and then there's even worse to come! Poor Gabry really does go through an awful lot in this story, and you can't help but feel for her.

I did feel that the story slowed down quite a bit in the middle, and even dragged a bit at points, which is why this wasn't a 5 star book for me. Things did pick up again towards the end though, for a gripping finish, although we were left with a bit of a cliff hanger. I have to say that I'm intruiged to find out what will happen in book 3, although I hate to think how things could possibly get worse for Gabry and co. in this hell-ish zombie-filled wastleland.
8.5 out of 10.

3.0 out of 5 stars Twilight Wannabe (except with Zombies), 11 July 2012
This review is from: The Dead-Tossed Waves (Paperback)
I read (and mostly enjoyed) The Forest of Hands and Teeth, finding it a pretty original take on the well-worn zombie genre. It's sequel - The Dead-Tossed Waves - is more of the same, except that Ryan's desire to cash in on the Twilight phenomenon is much more obvious. Both books are essentially coming-of-age/romance novels set in a zombie-infested world, with teenage girls narrating both stories. The emphasis is on the girls' emotional reflections on the world around them and the romantic entanglements they have with their fellow survivors, so it's a long way from your typical gore-filled zombie fare. The real problem with The Dead-Tossed Waves is the narrator - Gabry - and her Stephanie Myer-esque unfulfilled longing for every male she meets. She's selfish and whiney and seems to change her mind between two particular boys literally from one page to the next; make your mind up love! I'm guessing that I'm not the novel's target demographic, which is presumably teenage girls, who will probably have more empathy with Gabry and have loved Twilight and The Hunger Games. It's not a bad book, just a bit blatant in it's attempts to cash in on this market.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Dead-Tossed Waves
The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan (Hardcover - 8 April 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01