4.0 out of 5 stars Threatened by Shadows at Night
On a Steel Breeze is a large scale, hard SF adventure story with two main weaknesses, the beginning and the end. It is a sequel to Blue Remembered Earth, taking place in the following centuries and concerning itself with the next generation of the Akinya family.

Chiku, daughter of Sunday and niece of Geoffrey has cloned herself twice and the three genetic...
Published 13 months ago by P. G. Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Series needed to get better - it didn't!
It's a shame really as the core concepts are rock solid. However, Reynolds continues to run on three cylinders. Despite being a fan and despite being committed to reading all his output, I can't really recommend this. Half-baked...
Published 13 months ago by Gasman

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 8 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, it's Alastair Reynolds so it can't be that bad..., 17 Mar 2014
But I just can't get to grips with the central characters, and don't buy into the 'Africa became the world leader in 150 years' scenario.

It reads like a variation of 'Pushing Ice', and I can't see where the next volume is heading (maybe that's a good thing?). It is, as usual, well written and the future technology is interesting.

In any case, I'll still get AR's next book whatever it is as he's one of my favourite authors

4.0 out of 5 stars On the Steel Breeze, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: On the Steel Breeze (Hardcover)
I really loved the story and had no difficulty with the complex and inter-woven story lines. The narrative and writing quality is the best I have seen in one of his books since the Nights Dawn Trilogy.

My only complaint is the very poor quality of the printing in the hard cover copy I got from Amazon. It has dozens of printing mistakes in it and these are usually linked to whenever one or two of the characters are mentioned. I hope the publishers get their act together for his next book as I rave about printed Vs electronic books so come on don't let me down again.

3.0 out of 5 stars imaginative, intelligent, with stunning visuals, 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: On the Steel Breeze (Hardcover)
This is imaginative, ambitious and visual science fiction, with clones, robots and elephants (yes, elephants). It has an interesting and enigmatic central character in Chiku who is your typical strong, feisty heroine often found in space operas.

With an array of landscapes, terrain, life forms and obstacles to explore, there is plenty going on and going for this novel. It is at times quite hard to grasp, especially early, but the concerns and issues eventually raised in this universe are relevant to our own future. The characters here are facing tough decisions with far-reaching consequences.

I did find some of the jumps in the narrative a little jarring; the plot frequently moves several years ahead, and, despite the superb ideas and concepts shared, the novel could have done with some trimming. It really does drag in places, which is ironic as it is about people hurtling towards disaster!

On the whole, this is an intelligent novel, with strong dialogue and stunning visuals. It says much about the importance of tolerance in order to survive. It is though let down by its pacing and length. I am sure most fans of the genre will enjoy it, but I felt it could have been better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Borderline, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: On the Steel Breeze (Hardcover)
I'm a big fan of Alistair Reynolds. I'm pretty sure I've read most of his output. I liked the first one of this Series, Blue Remembered Earth, but this one, not so good. Firstly the book has, or at least my copy did, typo's. "Ve was good, most people remembered ver". For example. This wherever one of the characters Travertine was mentioned. Surely some auto correct nightmare and very off-putting in the first chapters. Secondly the story just doesn't flow so well. I found myself having to force myself to finish the book. Pushing Ice also had a bit of a slow spot in the storyline, but this one never really kicks back into, or even gets into, gear. I'm disappointed. Still, I'll be reading everything by Alastair, but recommend you stay clear of this one if you're an occasional fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good ideas with a pretty good plot, 17 Oct 2013
Mr. A. N. Mcgill (London) - See all my reviews
Blue Earth Remembered was a disappointment, but you will probably know this already and so the question is: should I bother with 'On the steel breeze'.
The answer is 'Yes'.
Unlike BER that lead you a merry dance only to end up where you started OtSB takes you on a well thought through story which Alistair Reynolds has clearly had time to think about.
The characters are well explored, the consequences of their actions play out well and there are some good old SF ideas thrown in.
I really enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Story is great, Kindle translation is shockingly poor! FIX THE MISTAKES!!!, 14 Nov 2013
D. Birchall - See all my reviews
This Review is in no way intended to comment on the writing style or storyline of the book, I am a massive Al Reynolds fan and have all his books to date.
My reason for writing this review is an attempt to bring attention to the way good writing is ruined by the poor proof reading/editing before being released as a kindle book.
I can live with a few grammatical errors or spelling mistakes but this book has an appalling failure in the fact that a major character is of no determinate sex! He/she is constantly referred to as "Ver, vis ve vhe" sometime a combination of more than one of these in the same sentence!! I'm assuming that the writer/editor had a change of heart about what sex this character should be late in the editing process and have sent off this unfinished version to be published as an ebook. Since this character has not been visually described (or the description removed at some point) there is no way of knowing whether it is male or female. This has infuriated me enough to write my first review in the hope that somebody at kindle or the publishers will read this and update the kindle version with this unforgivable mistake sorted.
I've since been informed that the Ve Ver Vim refers to a person with no determined gender.
My small minded views hindered me from even assuming this was the case and as I've never seen an example of this before assumed it was a mistake! Now i know and will for the future. What added to the confusion was the lack of visual description for the character which still puzzles me to this day! Maybe a little note at the end of the book could be added to explain this to the less intelligent readers like myself!!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a book, 20 Jan 2014
Shock, horror! I just have to write a few more words to get rid of this virtual demand for a review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, well written sci-fi fun., 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: On the Steel Breeze (Hardcover)
The storyline sprawls over a long period of time but this is still a fast-paced, exciting yarn packed with ideas, tension, twists and elephants. It helps to have read Blue Remembered Earth first as there's little catchup offered but that's no bad thing. In my opinion one of AR's finer works. Definitely recommended - congratulations, Mr Reynolds!

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat unengaging, 30 Sep 2013
Simon (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm only about a quarter of the way through the book but already I am a bit bored by it, which is a shame as I've read and enjoyed almost everything else Reynolds has written - although somehow the first book in this series passed me by. So far the big revelation is all a bit "meh" and I'm struggling to find myself caring what happens. But the most irritating thing of all is the completely pointless (and unfortunately frequent) use of the invented gender-neutral personal pronouns "ve", "ver" and "vis", which inexplicably only occurs with one particular character. Talk about breaking the flow of the narrative.

Perhaps things will get better.

Update: I have now finished, and to be fair I've upgraded my original 2 star rating to 3 stars. Once it gets going, the middle part of the book starts to develop the story in interesting ways, and yet... I can't shake off the feeling that more could have been done with this material. To some extent the problem is that there's not much in here that hasn't already been done before - if this book had been written 10 years ago it might have made more of an impression on me. To illustrate what I mean - way back when, Jules Verne writes an entire book about a journey to the moon. These days in a sci-fi novel, a trip to the moon would barely warrant an entire sentence. OK, it's nowhere near as bad as that, but you get my drift. Fundamentally, this isn't a novel that is going to make you pause and think "wow, that's new".

Perhaps I'm also suffering from not having read the first book but there seems to be this odd obsession with elephants which I just couldn't find a way of relating to, and there's just a little bit too much of the main character's self-absorbed and just-a-little-bit-dull angst. Not to mention a million unanswered questions.

4.0 out of 5 stars good novel about impact of tech & surveillance gone mad, 14 April 2014
a warning for the future - the elephants (Tantors) seem little more than a distraction - link from the earlier novel.

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 8 | Next ›

On the Steel Breeze
On the Steel Breeze by Alastair Reynolds (Paperback - 30 Oct 2014)