5.0 out of 5 stars Total, Wonderful Madness!
As a devotee of Robert Rankin's work I was delighted by this latest instalment (?) of his 'Steam Punk' saga.
All the usual mayhem, confusion, blistering wit and awful running gags. Mr Rankin's total disregard for 'Political Correctness' is truly refreshing - I LOVE it!
Published 18 months ago by Gordon Branson

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I'm a huge fan of Robert Rankin but I've been disappointed with this offering. The overall tale is wonderful, if somewhat drawn out, but something is broken in the writing. Don't get me wrong, there are running gags aplenty, shameless plugs and silly footnotes, but I felt the writing was somehow joyless; like a contractual obligation.
Published 17 months ago by ZoesDad

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Total, Wonderful Madness!, 4 Oct. 2013
Although this book can be read on its own it would improve the experience if the reader has already read the other books first - so if you've not read them yet - read them NOW!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great romp through time, 24 Nov. 2013
I'm a huge fan of Robert Rankin and have read every book he's written. This one sort of carries on from the three Japanese Devil Fish books and is told from the point of view of Darwin the Monkey Butler, who is a great character. It chronicles a particularly tricky case that Darwin and consulting detective Cameron Bell find themselves embroiled in. There's time travel, side adventures (to a land in the clouds and the fifth cardinal point of the compass amongst other), invasions from Mars and much humour along the way.

I really enjoyed the book so why only four stars instead of five? Mainly because, good as this book is, Rankin has produced better books and it's hard to top the original "Brentford Trilogy", all of which are five star classics in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars ding dong, 11 Feb. 2014
I am a bit biased as RR is my favourite author and has been for 20 years. Think that says everything you need to know about this genius writer. Crazy, enchanting, funny, thought provoking and not to be missed.

If you haven't read any RR I envy you as you have so much joy ahead of you, start at the beginning - Armageddon Trilogy and know that your journey shall be awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speculative fantasy, 12 Feb. 2014
Robert Rankin is a genius, his ideas are incredible. If you are a fan of really silly story lines, this is the man for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm so happy to be a descendant of Darwin, 4 Feb. 2014
Dr. J. Cooper (UK) - See all my reviews
Stop messing about and just read it.
If you need a reason - Michael Gove wouldn't like it because he wouldn't understand the witticisms.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read a lot of books and only recently discovered Rankin and am now completely addicted to something I thought I wouldn't like., 30 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Chickens of Atlantis and Other Foul and Filthy Fiends (Japanese Devil Fish Girl 4) (Paperback)
Hilarious, fantasy, slick, clever laugh out loud. Typical Rankin fans will adore this meandering tale. I read a lot of books and only recently discovered Rankin and am now completely addicted to something I thought I wouldn't like. I'm on the fourth book and can't wait to get through them all. Very, very witty and smart.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 Oct. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars chickens, 17 May 2014
Mr. James S. Edmondson (u.k.) - See all my reviews
loved it! amazing plotlines and time travel written by a monkey butler. would have liked more about jim pooley though.

5.0 out of 5 stars More fantastic far fetched fiction!, 22 Jan. 2014
I loved this book! Being written in the first ape or style of a fairytale, the plot twists and turns back and forth through time gently frazzling the old grey matter.

Thank you Robert Rankin (and Darwin, of course!) for more fantastic far fetched fiction!

4.0 out of 5 stars another smile and a laugh dispensed, 25 Nov. 2013
Loving the new-Victorian steampunk styling as always. Plus it's nicely left open for perhaps one more Cameron Bell mystery.... Who knows :-) thanks again Mr Rankin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›