5.0 out of 5 stars Strongly Recommended
Great post-apocalyptic novel, a great sense of dark atmosphere and place. The book is set in the near future where the remnants of Moscow have been forced to live in the metro system of Moscow because of the atomic disaster above. It follows the story of Artoym, a young man who is sent on a mission to warn Polis (the biggest collection of stations and a major government...
Published on 4 April 2010 by Jake Lamb

2.0 out of 5 stars Extrenely Poor Version of an Otherwise Great Book
Huge critism of this version is the quality of translation; frankly its very poor. The long dialouges which Glukhovsky uses repeatedly are very difficult to read and poorly phrased. Its mostly evident that this is a translation problem because the diffiulty arises from frequent grammatical errors, missing words and a limited, repetitive volcabulary. When so much of the...
Published on 23 Dec 2011 by MjKilian

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 9 Sep 2014
This review is from: Metro 2033 (Paperback)
A great book. I recommend reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, poor translation (I hope!), 21 May 2010
D. Cadman "Dr Dice" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metro 2033 (Paperback)
Humanity survives nuclear holocaust, well at least a few hundred Russians camped out in the Moscow metro. Really good idea for a story, unfortunately the English is horrendous and lets the tale down, not sure if this is as a result of a poorly written book or a shockingly bad translation. It reads like someone took the Russian novel dumped it into an internet translation engine and then sent the output to the publishers, hard to read and difficult to get into. I will try the game though to see if that fares better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 16 Sep 2014
Pretty good.

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of filler, with little killer., 29 July 2013
Where do I start.

So, I am a huge fan of anything post apocalyptic, be it zombies or the disintegration of the human species. I had just finished reading James Herbert's 48 (Great book by the way), so I thought I'd check out Dmitry Glukhovsky's (Great British name. Hahaha! I joke you.) Metro 2033.

This isn't a bad book, the amount of thought, research and imagination that has been put into this book, is incredible. The writer (Can't be bothered spelling his name again) creates a bleak and amazing post apocalyptic world, where danger and death are met at every turn. Unfortunately the writer steers away from these turns and spends a lot of time talking about thing that near bore you to tears. I read a lot of Stephen King, so I am used to descriptive writing that sometimes becomes monotonous and annoying. There are so many chapters where nothing happens and this frustrated me. Yes, there is action, but the scares and fast moving chapters, are few and far between.

If you like fast moving books, then do not pick this up. If you are into slow burners, then grab this, you will love it.

This has been the most disappointing book I have read, this year. Too slow with a story, that I didn't really care for.

I only hope that you enjoy this book, more than I did.

Next up, David Moody's Hater.

IWC 29/7/13 :(

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, 28 May 2013
This review is from: METRO 2033 (Kindle Edition)
The translation is not the best, the world itself is interesting. The story has a few too many miraculous rescues. A bit tedious formulations at times and clumsy descriptions, quite a few typos. I'm attributing these issues to the translation. Read it if u like post apocalyptic scenarios.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 5 Oct 2010
Gajo Csaba (Budapest, Hungary) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metro 2033 (Paperback)
I'm generally a sci-fi fan and I especially like post-apocalyptic stories, so having read a short intro about this book I thought "wow that's original" and bought the book. The begining is interesting, we get a detailed description of the world around Artyom, we get to know a lot of details about his father, his friends, his friends' friends, the station, it's clock... so we get all this detail, and what for? Artyom leaves the station and all this information we got told turns out to be just filler. They aren't needed for the plot. Why did he write so much detail about things we aren't supposed to care about?

OK so the first 100 pages are gone and Artyom leaves the station where he lived through most of his life, he now travels the tunnels... and travels the tunnels... and travels the tunnels... During these travels we find out that humanity has reverted back to a communist/fascist pre-WW2 kind of world, and since we already know what that world looks like, we're bored with detail about how the Reds like to control their own people, how the fascists hate colored people. I think a few dozen pages were about explaining what fascism is. If you learned about this at school, then you already know it is. But I guess the people who've never heard about WW2 would be fascinated!

I could go on with this, but let's stop here. This book is LONG. And it's not long because the story is long, it's long because it's filled with boring details. Almost everything we can read here we can read in some other book as well, with the difference being that here it's underground. I really can't see how this book can be "fascinating" to someone. Read a Wikipedia article on "the history of trade". Was that fun for you? Now read it again!

The characters AREN'T well developed. Artyom looks like a boring guy to me. He doesn't have special skills, no special weaknesses, he's just the guy you see on the street, you know, the one you forget about 1 second later. All the other characters seem to have the same set of brains installed. They feel, think and behave the same way: millitaristic, no real attachment to the people around them, they believe in whatever legend you tell them... So maybe the nuclear holocaust crushed their spirits? I would still think that they would have some non-robotic behavior left in themselves. The ONLY scene that moved me in the book was when the mother was scolding the boy Oleg. That is the emotional highpoint of the story. If you want to feel similarly "strong" emotions, listen to your neighbor scolding his child for some bad behavior. That's it!

I won't say that this book was a waste of time, because I probably wouldn't have done anything better with my time. So if you have a boring life, you might like it.

Oh, and the English translation is very poor. Enjoy sentences like "You have to go either through the Red line or through the Hansa but you can't just go there, as you yourself understand." (random sentence from the book)

2.0 out of 5 stars From a non sci-fi fan's view, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Metro 2033 (Paperback)
I am not a fan of sci-fi but decided to give it a chance with this book and I have to say it didn't make me want to read more sci-fi stuff. As other said, the idea had great potential, there are some interesting moments and the book makes you stop and think about the world we know (and its future - I see some educational value here for younger generations) but it's just not enough to be a hit. Furthermore, too much 'philosophy', very simplified political aspects, boring characters, long descriptions of unimportant locations where nothing is going to happen mixed with short and neglected parts about more important moments makes this book just one of the many. At times it was just tiring to read.
Hard to say if it's the book being written by Russian author or some of the issues are caused simply by translation. I read it in Polish and feel it could be better, so probably even more so for English which is much more difficult to translate from Russian language.
I am not going to read any of the other 'Metro' series or other sci-fi books as I find many 'real-life' novels much more absorbing and entertaining.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped, 28 Jun 2010
Andrew Powell "AP" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metro 2033 (Paperback)
After finally finishing the book, I found that it started to get rather repetative but I suppose thats what happend when one walks in underground tunnels.

I did play the game first and that had some good scenes and loads of action, the book has nowhere as much action and is rather week on the dark ones story line.

3.0 out of 5 stars Defininatly Russian!, 15 May 2013
Mr. M. Hatherell "Mark Hatherell" (Vauxhall, London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: METRO 2033 (Kindle Edition)
Not a bad read, OK as things go and by the end you can tell that the author is Russian!

2.0 out of 5 stars mieh, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: Metro 2033 (Paperback)
First, let's get it out of the way, I give it two stars. I thought the book had great potential, hell it could be a masterpiece, its premise was very promising but then comes the reality. I thought the book was a mess, I thought the author wanted it to be a post apocalyptic /science fiction/ adventure sort of thing and a philosophical statement about the human nature at the same time and along the way it fails to be both. For example it's great how well the author captures the human nature and depicts how easy it is for the human civilization to be wiped out in an instant and the people to go back in medieval ages. In metro 2033 we see reds, fascists, rebels,mutants, ghosts,sects, radical Christians, superstitius "Brahmins" and there is the constant feel of the unknown danger. People unite around mostly extreme,in many cases paranormal, ideas and that's a huge statement about how mileaded people are, up until the time that the author chooses to confirm some of the paranormal elements as real in his world, reversing his whole point.The book has brilliant parts, for example the Great Worm cult, and (pardon me) stupid parts such as the Library, and what I am trying to say is that it's really uneven.

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

Metro 2033
Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky (Paperback - 9 Jun 2011)