5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing!
I don't think words can describe how much I loved this book. I was under the impression from other reviews that Fire wasn't supposed to be as good as Graceling but in my opinion it's better - much better! The romance, the action, the mystery and the heartbreak were so much more prominent.

Fire is set I think around 20 years before Graceling in a land called The...
Published on 23 May 2011 by Alison Wadsworth

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining fantasy
This is the author's second novel, following on from the entertaining Graceling. Set in the same 'world' as Graceling but in terms of timelines it is a prequel.
Published on 8 Oct 2009 by Nick Brett

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining fantasy, 8 Oct 2009
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fire (Paperback)
Fire is a 'monster' a kind of mutant from nature. There are creature mutants, i.e birds or animals that are brightly coloured, but Fire is that rarity, a human one. As such she has bewitching beauty and the power to influence minds and her abilities are so strong that contact with people can be dangerous for them and her.
When the Kingdom rises in conflict she must come into the open and is forced to pick a side and then must decide if she can (and should) use her powers to protect those she loves.
The author does characterisation well and has an interesting view on the use of power (as shown in Graceling too) and this is a well paced and thoughtful story. It took a little while to get going and for me to get my head around the concept of 'monsters' but then it speeds up along (perhaps) a familiar path to a conclusion that is perhaps unsurprising but nonetheless satisfying. I enjoyed it as a good solid fantasy novel but I think I would have preferred it to have been longer, there were elements that felt a little rushed or not sufficiently explored (the final scene with the Graceling and the business with the weird horse) but these are minor gripes in what was an entertaining fantasy novel.

Oh and well done to whoever chose the artwork for the cover of this and Graceling - lovely covers...

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing!, 23 May 2011
This review is from: Fire: 2 (Graceling) (Paperback)

Fire is set I think around 20 years before Graceling in a land called The Dells which is supposed to be beyond the Seven Kingdoms. They don't know of the Seven Kingdoms and the Seven Kingdoms don't know of them. They don't have Gracelings in The Dells but they do have monsters! Monsters come in the form of brightly coloured animals. The same as normal animals but brightly coloured. And there is also a monster human. The last living monster human - Fire. Monsters have the ability to see into others minds and are able to control them in some cases. Human monsters have always been feared by people because of this ability and also because of their unusual beauty and brightly coloured hair.

Fire's father sent her away as a girl to live away from the King's city where there were too many people who would want to hurt her and so she grew up on a farm on the outskirts of the kingdom. However, when war is threatening the King he decides he needs her power to use to find out useful information for the coming war and so she is summoned back to the King's city where it is so dangerous for her. There she meets the King, the King's brothers and sister and a whole host of other amazing characters, some whom love her and some very much intent on seeing her dead.

This book was filled with so much adventure and surprises. I loved every minute of it. I think the reason I loved it more than Graceling was becuase it was set around a much older theme. There were things that happen during the course of the story and things that had happened in the past that were explained in the story which were very adult in theme.

I was so sad when I finished reading becuase I so much enjoyed seeing Fire grow into her ability and to use it for the good of the Kingdom and also to see her growing relationship with the prince Brigan (who I loved so much!). If you enjoyed Graceling then this is a must read and I truly hope the author revisits these characters some time becuase I think could be so much more to tell!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant, gripping read, 7 Oct 2009
E. R. Welsby (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire (Hardcover)
This book is technically a prequel to Cashmore's first novel, Graceling, but it's set in a different land, with very different magic, and featuring only one character from the other book, so it is easily readable even if you haven't read Graceling (although if you're already planning to read both, don't read this one first).

I was surprised to see that the prologue to Fire is one of the creepiest I've ever read... but the creepiness didn't continue into the book proper, so don't let that put you off. The character Fire is both similar to, and different from, the main character in Graceling: like Katsa, Fire is initially strong and scared of her own power, and gradually grows to accept herself; but she's a bit less independent than Katsa, and she desperately wants children (but refuses to actually have any because she would pass on her powers to them). She doesn't have an easy life: both humans and animals are affected by her, and either hate her and try to harm her, or want her so much that they smother her. She's also affected by the memory of her father, who was a brutal man who abused his powers and caused chaos in the country - although he loved her and never mistreated her.

There's an inevitable romance that I saw coming from very early on; but it's handled excellently and the story is not focused upon the two of them. The plot is interesting and exciting, and the writing is every bit as competent as in Graceling. I found the novel so gripping that I don't think I put it down for more than a few minutes at a time until it was finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whatever Graceling was missing..., 12 July 2011
Doha (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Fire: 2 (Graceling) (Paperback)
I loved 'Fire' in a way I haven't loved a book for a long time. Graceling left me feeling rather ambivalent - not only because I couldn't quite come to terms with the Teletubbies character (I know, it's a name with a noble past - but have *you* had to watch Teletubbies for years because of a kid in the house?). But whatever it was that Graceling was missing, Fire had it.

Some reviews complain that it lacks plot, but I think Fire is deliberately character-driven, and better for it. Along with that, it is atmospherically slow; the prologue, which I read months before I actually got around to reading the book, left me with chills.

This book is the reason I will pick up anything Cashore writes. Graceling was a forgivable first book (+ gorgeous cover), but I live to read books like Fire.

4.0 out of 5 stars fire, 22 Feb 2012
Ali (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire: 2 (Graceling) (Paperback)
I have to say, I much preferred Fire over Graceling. It has much better world-building and characterisation compared to that in Graceling.

Fire was a strong character who can take care of herself if she needs to, ask for help when she can't and still be vulnerable. She wrestles with her inner emotions all through this book, with her terrifying power and with those who succumb to her appearance. Having a gorgeous female character so often is a bit Mary Sue-ish but here it is not as, to begin with, you really wouldn't want to be Fire. It's a testament to Cashore's improved writing that when Fire does begin to blossom, it's sweet and wonderful and not at all saccharine. Fire was, simply, a better written character than Katsa was.

The world building was also improved in this novel. Like with Graceling, there was a lot of fighting and action and Fire was, wonderfully, in the thick of it. I love female characters that can take care of themselves and are not purely simpering damsels. But, unlike Graceling, there was not endless bland amounts of travelling being undertaken by the characters. Instead there were journeys across sweeping landscapes, ones that I could imagine. The plot was much more complicated than Graceling and that's the reason I enjoyed it more.

Fire was a wonderful read that showed just how much an author can grow between debut and sophomore novels. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible fantasy world, 27 Mar 2011
This review is from: Fire: 2 (Graceling) (Paperback)
When I started this book I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. I haven't read Cashore's debut novel `Graceling' (although it is sitting on my bookshelf at home), so technically I guess I read these the wrong way around. However, I really don't think it mattered because from what I've heard they're more like stand-alone books than a series which follows on and has to be read in strictly the right order. I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy it because this was in the science-fiction section of my local library and I'm not normally a SF fan. In addition, after a quick perusal of the blurb, I was still unconvinced that this was going to be my cup of tea. How wrong I was!!

The book charts the story of Fire, a beautiful human-monster living in the Dells, who attracts the lust of all those around her and who is particularly tempting to other monsters. She has spent her whole life trying to protect the people around her and stay out of sight. However, when war threatens, she decides that she has to use whatever power and control she has for good, so sets out on a dangerous journey to the Kings City. One of the things I admire most about this book is the incredible world that Cashore has invented. What an imagination she has! Places and people are created vividly and seem so real at times that you forget it's all made-up. There are some wonderfully descriptive passages throughout and the language itself is rich and magical, weaving a complex tale which never fails to surprise.

To begin with, I wasn't sure about the opening prequel section of the book and I couldn't really see how it was going to fit into the story. However, I think that may be due to me not having read `Graceling' yet, and by the time I got about two-thirds in, everything did fit together. Cashore takes her time building up the layers of the story and the characters, presenting a number of ethical situations for her main protagonist, which really involve the reader and get them thinking. The climax of the book was tremendous with several twists thrown in for good measure and I enjoyed seeing how it all unravelled.

For those who like a spot of romance, you won't be disappointed and I have to just say how much I adored the relationship between Fire and her horse Small. When you read the book you'll see what I mean!

I would definitely recommend picking this book up and giving it a try, even if it doesn't initially look like your normal book fare. Some of my favourite books are the ones that I normally would never ever have even contemplated reading and it's always a lovely surprise to find out how much you enjoy them after all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 20 Jan 2013
Loved it. Couldn't put it down. Just drags you in and won't let you go. A lot of imagination and thought went into the story

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 17 Jan 2013
Really good book. Follows on nicely from Graceling. Even though set before Graceling would recommend to read that one first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book., 16 Jan 2013
K. Prowse "Katty" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire: 2 (Graceling) (Paperback)
Very much enjoyable and an excellent story line. If you like fantasy, you will love this. Fire is the 2nd book in the series by Cashore, the first called Graceling, which I recommend reading before this one. This book isn't set in the same time as Graceling and has different characters, but certain things click into place when you read Fire. The third book recently came out and is called Bitterblue. Enjoy reading! ^_^

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book., 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: Fire: 2 (Graceling) (Paperback)
Fire is an excellent book - loved it! A great addition to the original "Graceling" book and just fantastic if you ask me!

Fire
Fire by Kristin Cashore (Hardcover - 24 Sep 2009)
17.80