4.0 out of 5 stars a strange book
Published on 20 Jan 2008 by froggy

3.0 out of 5 stars Gripping

a bit long winded but good all the same would read another book from this author at another time
Published 18 days ago by Mrs. L. Foster

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars a strange book, 20 Jan 2008
This review is from: Ghost Story (Paperback)
OK. I bought this book a few years ago and started to read it........and quit. I just found it too dense and a really hard to get into read. A few weeks ago, I moved home and placing books on the bookshelves, I came across it again and decided to have another go. This time I was not disappointed. I found the book intriguing and quite a page turner. In fact I was quite hooked. I can appreciate this book not being everybody's cup of tea though....... but it is worth giving it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tops on my Straub List, 1 Dec 2002
Bruce Kendall "BEK" (Southern Pines, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Story (Paperback)
This is the best book I've read in the contemporary Horror genre. I've been buying Straub's later books in hopes that he can repeat the performance he carried off in this one and have been dissapointed with the results (Shadowland was a fun read, however).
Actually, in terms of sheer good writing, I would have to rank one of his earliest novels, Julia, as the most comparable. This book really got under my skin and even pervaded my unconscious while I was reading it. I found myself dreaming in Straub's cadences. This is a tour-de-force horror story, and yes, does rival James' The Turn of the Screw in terms of aritistry. Hopefully, sometime Straub will turn out another one of this calibre.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's the worst thing you've ever done?, 9 April 2012
This review is from: Ghost Story (Paperback)
'Ghost Story' is a must-read for fans of fiction. It ranks as one of Straub's best, alongside Shadowland and Koko. The story of the 'Chowder Society' and the gradual unraveling of their dark mystery is tense, taut, and terrifying. This book zings like a high voltage wire. An unforgettable classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ghost story I've read, 12 Oct 2010
A group of old men, gather every week at night by the fire in a cosy leaving room, sipping brandy and telling each one a scary story each time, until one of the stories turn out to be true.....one of the best reads ever for me

5.0 out of 5 stars A literate, intelligent and atmospheric horror novel, 9 Jun 2009
J. Baxter "TNL" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Story (Paperback)
I came to read Ghost Story not expecting too much. The blurb on the back described old men -The Chowder Society - telling each other ghost stories, and a old murder. Yet from the outset, this novel confounded my expectations. From the opening scenes with an abduction of a very strange child through to the closing scenes when a very old monster is consigned to the ocean, this is a story that deserves reading.

More than anything else, this book is a great example of plotting. Some very disparate elements of the story that a reader might question the relevance of slowly come to be essential to the story as a whole. And it is a story that takes place across many years, and across the US. And such varied plot elements mean that the numerous climatic battles in the novel are not so much warranted as necessary.

Also, the novel manages to make the threat menacing to more than just the central characters. The threat ends up consuming a whole town, and the atmospheric scenes when the snow starts to fall and a whole community falls apart are as melancholic as they are chilling. The horror is destined for far more than just the Chowder Society, and Straub gives a near perfect template for any novel that wants to portray a small town under siege. Many Stephen King novels, for example, owe a real debt to this book.

If I have one criticism of this novel, then it would be that it doesn't quite act as a traditional ghost story for me; it is more of a standard horror novel. But this is the best Straub work I have read, and one of the best horror novels I have ever read as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghost Story, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Ghost Story (Paperback)
This is a book I enjoyed immensely. It kept me enthralled the whole way through and it is a long book. While not exactly super frightening I certainly had chills and felt uncomfortable reading it in bed at night. One of his best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 22 Jun 2014
Mrs. L. Foster "lyn foster" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A good winter's read..., 15 Jun 2014
P. Sanders "prhsuk" (Belfast) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ghost Story (Paperback)
If you're looking for an effective, creepy page-turner for when the nights draw in, "Ghost Story" is a good choice.

At first glance a ghostly revenge story, Straub's novel is more slippery and, like its menacing villain, keeps changing the game when you think you've got hold of it. It starts with a mysterious kidnapping where the young "victim" may not be what she seems. Then we are introduced to four (once five) old men who meet regularly to tell ghost stories, and are being haunted by nightmares from their past...

Straub calmly and methodically builds a small community, then once the pieces are all in place he just as methodically starts pulling it apart. The timeline jumps forward and back in time, and often Straub will casually drop into conversation that a minor character we've got to know over the course of the novel has died or is about to - the matter-of-factness makes it all the more effective. Likewise Straub casually mentions a figure that someone sees and the reader realises the dark significance without needing any explanation.

This book is also a tribute to classic horror - one of the stories we hear has very clear echoes of "The Turn of the Screw", but its significance within the novel reaches far beyond a pastiche when the characters from the story return to become dangerous hunters.

I would say though that when we finally learn the secret of what happened to Eva Galli it's not that big a deal: after everything we've read already it's a bit of an anticlimax. Also during the sequence of the mysterious Anna Mobley there are moments where it gets a bit too "writer writing about what they know about writing" - the protagonist being a writer and lecturer, some of the literary references feel a bit forced and knowing).

But those are minor quibbles. "Ghost Story" is a cracking page turner. In his trestise on horror "Danse Macabre", Stephen King discussed the novel at length, and the two have since collaborated. This story of ancient evil destroying a small town resonates with the feel of "Salem's Lot" (which I think was out around the same time - Straub says that after King said something complimentary about "Ghost Story, he in turn read abd enjoyed "Salem's Lot"). Later in King's career it's clear that Straub's novel influenced "It" (though they are still very different books). Also if you liked this book I recommend Straub's first horror novel "Julia" - some similsr elements, but on a smaller, more intimate scale.

3.0 out of 5 stars Finished it!, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Ghost Story (Kindle Edition)
I dipped in and out of the book during short train journeys a lot and I think this book would benefit from longer periods of reading.

Some sections seemed a bit samey and I didn't find it scary both of which were a little disappointing.

The ending was really impressively done and I had not anticipated how well it would connect and reference earlier stages of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, Chilling and very well written., 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: Ghost Story (Kindle Edition)
I don't think I have enjoyed a (fairly) modern horror as much as this. It really has all the elements required: a great tale (or multiple tales weaving into one theme), very strong and believable characters and is written extremely well.
The beginning is frenetic and a little confusing but certainly stick with it - the ending ties everything together nicely.
Must be time for a new movie version.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Ghost Story
Ghost Story by Peter Straub (Paperback - 28 Aug 2008)
5.89