The Bitter Seed of Magic (Spellcrackers.com)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£7.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 23 February 2011
First - the cover love. See the ravens? big part of the story. See the tower in the background? The Tower of London. See the girl in the front? yep - that's Genny - aka Genevieve Taylor, London's sidhe (if you've read the other books, then you already know she's part sidhe, part vampire). See the leather coat? very cool. I like how the Tower of London is glowing, and how the ravens are lurking in the back. The whole cover is pretty cool, with the almost black and white with small amounts of color. Works for me. If I had never ever heard of this book or series, the cover would have drawn me in.

Next, the review - Really, I'm afraid I'm not going to do the book justice. I never really analyze books, characterization and plot points, etc. Frankly, I wouldn't know the first thing about this type of reviewing. I do know whether I like a book or not though. Mainly I focus on whether I enjoyed reading the book, if the dialogue was good, great or lame and how the story flows....
for me, this means The Bitter Seed of Magic scored high on all three points. The dialogue was great, the enjoyment factor was high and the book flowed from beginning to end, from the first page to the last.

Genny Taylor has come to enjoy a sort of peaceful existence after the events of the last two books - She's not under any immediate threats, the vampires are leaving her alone, the witches are tolerating her, and the fae are holding back on pushing their courting of her. But this is just the eye of the storm, because really, everything has just been on hold. Being called in to look at a body, checking for spells seems to be the catalyst for a series of events that shatter Genny's world and even changes what she thought she knew about herself.

Previously, Genny had found out that the fae were under a curse - no fae would be fertile and they all expected Genny to be able to crack the curse. Many of the fae expect her to be able to break the curse by bearing children with them, or doing the nasty with them. Of course Genny doesn't want to be forced to bear any children with just anyone (or anyfae). But at the beginning, things are calm, until the body is discovered. Turns out this isn't the first body, and they've all been faelings.

Genny is now being pressured in a huge way to find out what's going on, at the same time the same people seem to be going against her finding out, and things begin to spiral out of control.

There were many twists in this book. It was great. Just when I thought I knew what was happening, nope - that wasn't it. It's fun being taken by surprise with who's behind the deeds and who's plotting against whom.

I also love the way the different characters speak to each other. Ms McLeod is able to have (for instance) Genny and Malik have a conversation with Genny's more modern speech and Malik's more formal speech with out it feeling forced and awkward. Seems like this should be an obvious skill for writers, but it doesn't always work out for some.... Speaking of characters; I love a good mixup of character types. And the Spellcrackers.com series has lots of fun characters....dryads, brownies, goblins (might be some of my favorites, with their love of the shiny bling), witches, ghosts, vampires, satyrs, and more. I also love the way they are described under their glamour - or their human guises. The attention to detail without being overwhelming, the many varied appearances - I am consistantly amazed at the creativity of writers like Suzanne McLeod. sometimes you get to read a story that calls itself paranormal and yet has very little interactions with different species. Suzanne's novels are all about all the different appearances and species, and behaviours.

Even though one of the main points of the plot was fertility, or the fertility curse- with all the accompanying feelings and desires that go with fertility - I didn't feel like I was getting ambushed with the "hawt and heavy" - y'know, the heaving breasts, and turgid...well y'know. There were some steamy situations and some hot-blooded wants, but it never felt like that was the complete purpose of the book. The parts were there, the situations were happening - but it wasn't obsessively so; there wasn't a time when I felt like rolling my eyes and saying "oh please". Believe me, with some books that's all I felt like doing. I usually don't finish reading them. There were a few times when I chuckled at certain behaviours - but it was all in fun. There was a good blend and balance of story, subplots and all those....y'know - feelings. :)

So - Fun characters, good plots, fun dialogue, some steam and lots of humor to go along with the suspense and mystery. What else could I ask for in a novel? Wonderful! If you've already read the first two in the Spellcrackers.com series, you're going to enjoy this third book. If you haven't read any of them yet, What are you waiting for?
on 11 March 2011
I can't believe this, the next book is out first in 2012! How on earth will I make it until then? I seriously need more Genny.

And yes there will be spoilers from previous books here.

Back to business then. Genny needs to crack a certain fertility curse so that she doesn't have to have a baby. The Fae are sending suitors to her, and I must say that I like the two in this book. Then there is the queen of the fairy lands who doesn't want her preggers. But Genny does not give up and she keeps on going and going. She is one tough Sidhe.

As usual there are lots of things going on. Trying to break the curse, finding who is killing Faelings, and as usual dealings with vampires. There is plenty of action, and I just had to keep on reading because I did not want to put the book down. I just had to know what would happen next.

The love life then, there is still Finn, but honestly, he is too nice, while I want her with Malik, who is totally wrong for her, but that man just oozes passion. And they have some serious tension going on between them. One more thing I looking forward to in the next book.

The book did manage to make me go OMG! What a moment, I did not see that coming. I wish I could tell you all, but just read the series and you will experience it.

A magical series that make me want more and more. The books keep on getting better.

Conclusion:
Just read the series :D It has so much to offer, some good old sexual tension, vampires with plans, all sorts of different Fae, London, and secrets, so many juicy secrets. Now I just have to wait one more year until the next book, I would give anything for at least a blurb.

Rating:
Awesome
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I completely agree with what previous reviewers who loved this book have said.
I was so engrossed in this book I couldn't put it down (reading until early hours of the morning is not good for you you know!)

The story, the characters, the plot - the fabulous cover.... (well done to the designer)and Malek.... the excitement, the twists and turns, Malek... oh I love Malek.... and Johnny Depp (he's in this story too - sort of ...)

Another reason I adore these books is because I am a Londoner born & bred and they are set in places I know well. The story becomes real because the places are real - at Covent Garden the other day I was actually looking out for Genny!

Although I have been put off Greenwich a bit now.... :-/ *laugh*

You must include something about The Tube Suzanne in a future book - The Victoria Line was shut today.... my first thought was "gremlins on the line? Ghosts messing up the signals? A dead vamp in one of the tunnels?"

The Bitter Seed of Magic is a fabulous read - worth more than 5 stars!

Thank you Suzanne for providing such a delight!

(gee Genny .... Malek.... you silly goose.... not Finn, Malek!)

(Note: the author is known to me: however, this is a genuine personal review of a book I enjoyed reading)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 31 October 2011
I absolutely recommend reading this author's book if you want to read a unique story line and interesting characters. I was so impatient to continue with this author's next book to see where Genny's life was going to go and if she was going to crack the cruse that I ordered this book from the UK and paid almost double by the time it got to the states. It was well worth it! Genny is in for many surprises in this round some exciting and great; while others are sad and scary. She with the help of a few unexpected new friends and old ones get together to solve the mystery of the young faeling who dies, all the while trying to crack the curse, and court the other fae who believe she is the key to cracking the curse. It's an exciting book that keeps your attention from beginning to end that you want wont to put down till you finish and leave you waiting for the next one to come out.
on 11 October 2011
First of.. i Apologise to Suzanne, for not posting this review when the book first came out.. I must have been in a Coma or something!

Suzanne is a British Author who makes me proud to be British... She isa alsoone of the new breed of authors who actually responds and talks with her fans and it makes me feel important when i have given feedback and opinions and she responds.. not some Publishing house!

Anyway enough gushing over Suzanne, Ill gush over the book instead!

Yet another twist and turn in Gennys life and if it were me i probably given into all the persuasion by now, But Ginny, well she is alot stronger than she feels.

The 3rd book seemlessly carrries on from 1 and 2 without feeling like it should have ended at book 1 like alot of series i have, its become one of the series's that i could quite happily pre-order a year or 2 in advance just to guarantee i get it... HOWEVER i dont want to wait that long i want no4 NOW !!!

All i can say it... BUY IT SHARE IT RECOMMEND IT !!!!!!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Bitter Seed of Magic is the third book in Suzanne McLeod's Spellcrackers series and therefore this review will contain spoilers for the previous books.

Faelings are turning up dead on the streets on London, their identities hidden by a glamour spell. The police bring sidhe fae Genny in to help peel back the spells but there's no indication of cause of death. With the fertility curse still in place, Genny is convinced it is connected and is determined to help the faelings in every way but one; breaking the curse with a baby. Not that she doesn't have a long line of suitors ready to court her... or worse, but she would like some choice in her life. So she sets out to find another way to break the curse.

Once again, I loved the world and the varied cast of fae Suzanne McLeod has created. As always, London plays a huge part too, with the ravens of the Tower of London coming into play. I always knew there was something funny about them! There was a bit more back story for both Genny and Finn which is always nice to have. Helen is still obstructing justice where Genny is concerned but I like that neither Genny or Hugh are blindly ignorant of what's going on. They seem to have their heads screwed on well!

However, I did feel there were maybe a few too many characters being thrown into the mix. There are so many family connections being unearthed and it started to get a bit convoluted at one point. I'm still not entirely sure who is related to whom but I enjoyed the overall plot and mystery aspect.

I also like that there's a practical reason for all the fae in London wanting to get into Genny's knickers. It's not that she's just so hot they can't resist, it's because they want to reproduce when she's the only option. Which is a bit creepy, but at least the main characters seem to acknowledge this. Perhaps that is also why I'm on team Malik; Finn is nice enough but he has ulterior motives and ex issues to boot. Don't worry, despite the fertility curse, Genny doesn't start having sex all over the place (unlike another urban fantasy series that shall remain un-named).
on 10 August 2012
Please note that there are slight spoilers for the first book The Sweet Scent of Blood and the second book The Cold Kiss Of Death.

This is the second time that I have read The Bitter Seed of Magic and it is as good as the first time that I read it. However this isn't my favourite book out of the three, but don't get me wrong it is still a fantastic book. All of the Fae are trying to get Genny pregnant in the hopes that the fertility curse will be broken but our Genny is not too keen to get knocked up. Not even by her friend and boss the Satyr Finn. Her vampire protector Malik al-Khan is MIA but life seems very quiet and peachy for Gen. That is until the Faelings start turning up dead and when Gen's nemesis DI Helen Crane is shall we say less than helpful it is down to our favourite bean sidhe to solve the murders.

This book cannot be read on its own, it must be read as part of the series otherwise you will not have a clue what is going on. However, saying that this is a complex book so you have to pay attention. There are so many twists, turns and shocks that my head was spinning. Now is you have read any of my reviews before you know I am all about the vampire but in this book my head was turned by the handsome Finn. We also get more of Tavish the kelpie who is an awesome character plus we meet some new people too.

I absolutely adore this series and I don't understand why it is better known, the only thing that I can think of is that it is that Ms McLeod is a British author and the story is set in the UK. If you like Urban Fantasy please please please try this series, you will not regret it. Yes it is fast paced and there is lots going but these books are magnificent. Well done Ms McLeod I can't wait for book 4 The Shifting Price of Prey and I give The Bitter Seed of Magic 5 stars.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
As a fan of the Spellcracker series, I was a little disappointed back in October when I discovered that the new title was to be delayed until Feb. Still that said, I had the opportunity to plan part of my new year reads around it so made sure that the "supplies" (A Chilled bottle of Dandelion and Burdock, some Mint Puffins and a decent bagette) were available for my guilty free extended reading session. (Well a guy has to look after himself.)

What unfurled within was a story that had plenty of twists and turns, some magical double dealing and perhaps best of all a beautifully paced mystery that took smarts alongside kickass attitude to solve. Back that up with some character growth, a good pinch of romance and some skulduggery that will take time to unfurl how deep it extends and the reader really has a treat in store. Finally add to the mix an author who continues to grow in their writing who adds the London magic into her own mystery tour which leaves the readers as satisfied as a "moth" in a certain Diamond Club.
on 17 February 2011
(This was originally posted on Book Lovers Inc)

Warning: This is a spoiler-free review for this book. But I make some references to the previous books which can be a little bit spoilery.

The Bitter Seed of Magic is the 3rd book in the Spellcracker[] series, and it's now my favorite! I couldn't wait to start reading it when I finished the previous book. The story takes place a few months after the end of The Cold Kiss of Death. Genny's life is still very complicated. To sum it up, there is a fertility curse affecting London's Fae. Genny has to be the one breaking it or the magic will die. Also there's a killer murdering Faelings all over London. Genny think those murders are linked to the curse and starts investigating.

The obvious way for Genny to break the curse would be to get pregnant. Ah! but having a baby is not in Genny's plans. Everything gets complicated when she realized that all the Fae in London are waiting in lines to seduce her to be the potential 'daddy' lol. She has to find a way to break the Curse without getting killed in the process. And when the gods decides to enter the game, it all becomes even more deadly.

This book was fantastic. It's even better than the 2nd book. The story has so many twists and turns, it was a 'OMG'-fest in my house. (Suzanne you're still EVIL!) I just didn't see any of these events coming. Suzanne McLeod created a very fascinating and complex world. I didn't want the book to end.

We learn a lot about all our favorite characters. Of course we get to see more of Malik the smexy vampire, Finn the SexGod satyr, and Tavish the wylde fae. Tavish isn't easy to understand, there's a lot to him we don't know yet. This is not an easy book to review because saying more would spoil the story. I love how the author included different myths in her story.

I think one of the most important thing is that Genny is a great character. She is intelligent and has a big heart. She is courageous and very lovable. She's not one of those Too Stupid To Live (TSTL) heroines, she can't even be qualified as a 'kick-ass' heroine. No, Genny shines for a very different reason. I love this character and I want her to get a HEA. She deserves happiness.

Now, here is proof of the author's writing skill. I had a 'favorite' character I wanted Genny to get involved with. While reading the book, I kept changing my mind. I ended up not knowing anymore which one I wanted her to end up with. (because let's be honest I WANT her to end up with one of them *wink*). Suzanne found a way to make them all appealing in one way or another. I can't believe I'll have to wait a year to know what's coming up next. I feel like Genny with 3V (the virus she has), this series is a drug.

Fanta-bulous, that's how i'd summarize this book. The Bitter Seed of Magic is an action-packed adventure filled with twists and turns. Vampires, Fae, Witches and so much more...this books has them all. It keeps you on the edge of your seat from start to end and you can never guess what's going to happen next (or I don't have much imagination lol). I salute Suzanne's fertile imagination and I can only say this: Give this series a try! It's well worth your time, you won't regret it.
5 stars!
on 15 May 2012
Spellcrackers. Com what a great book, could not put it down, can not wait to read the next book. If it's as good or better I will be a very happy girl.