4.0 out of 5 stars A series finally finding its feet

Published on 5 Dec 2010 by Rebecca

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A series finally finding its feet, 9 Sep 2008
Read Me (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Ice Cold Grave (Hardcover)
In this series Harper and her step brother Tolliver travel round America trying to find dead people - either for law enforcement or private cases. Due to a lightening strike Harper has been left with this unusual talent. She can find where the body is buried and then tell you how they died, Tolliver's main role is to look out for Harper and protect her from the media, the police, just about everyone.
In this book 3 Harper is called in to get involved in a serial killer case, 6 boys are dead and no-one knows how or where. Harper finds them pretty quick and if you've read the other books (which I thoroughly recommend)then you'll know that this normally leads the police/sheriff to start questioning her skills. While the previous books have stuck to the formula and set up the characters I think this is the one which has moved things up a step - Tolliver and Harper's relationship moves on from step -brother/sister to something else entirely and it'll be interesting to see how that effects the next book. Also Harper's character is developing nicely from being - find the body, cash the cheque, leave town. Now there is more involvement in finding the killer and she is beginning to stand up for herself a bit more.
All in all the characters are intriguing and the plot moves along well, if you like crime novels with a sci-fi or supernatural twist then this could be a good series for you. If you're familiar with Charlaine Harris from her other series (Sookie Stackhouse) then this one doesn't have as much supernatural goings on and isn't as funny, but I have to admit its beginning to grow on me and I'm looking forward to the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but this series is becoming a bit predictable, 4 Dec 2008
C. Frost "Charlie Frost" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I did enjoy this book as I have enjoyed pretty much everything I've read by this author, but I have to support previous reviews that the series seems to be sticking to a set formula - i.e the pair are called in to find bodies, Harper finds them, the police turn on her, someone wants her out of the picture,the killer is caught, they leave town. I also agree that the only different direction I can see this going in is if they find Harper's missing sister.

Also, although I'm in no way prudish, I must say the sex scene made me cringe - I think it might have been their gushing pillow talk afterwards! All this said, the book is pretty well written and enjoyable, I just think Charlaine needs to come out of her comfort zone. Unless the next book is a bit different I think I'll be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars expecting the inevitable, 17 Dec 2007
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The third in the series and it didn't let me down.

That said, the storyline is becoming rather formulaic. Call in Harper and Tolliver, find bodies, stay around for whatever reason to solve the murder mystery, leave for another case.

In this story, there is a development in the relationship between Harper and Tolliver which was, of course, broadcast in the previous novel. I don't know whether this helps or hinders future stories but it does rather slow down this one.

Nevertheless, fans of the genre will enjoy this book. I did but I do hope the next one branches out somewhat. It's becoming a little tiresome when the police call in these guys to help them find the bodies then try to discover how they were involved in the first place. In this day of mass communication, one would have thought that even the US police nationally would have heard about Harper's strange ability - especially when we discover that there is a website following her every move.

So, I look forward to her next outing but not before I pick up the latest Sookie Stackhouse novel when that is released!

3.0 out of 5 stars Book 3 in the Harper Connelly series, 5 Dec 2010
This review is from: An Ice Cold Grave (Paperback)
Book 3 in the Harper Connelly series finds Harper and Tolliver in yet another small town, searching for dead bodies. In this instance, there are several who have died, presumed to have gone missing. There is a new sheriff and she doesn't believe that, she with some encouragement (and money) from others, she hires Harper. There were some surprises and I didn't know who did it and I always like that.
The newly developing relationship between Harper and Tolliver is strange. I'm not sure how they are going to handle it in the future when they meet up with people (their lawyer for example) who knew them as brother and sister.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Harper Connelly" series book 3, 1 Jan 2013
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: An Ice Cold Grave (Paperback)
AICG is probably the most disturbing book in the series so far. When Harper is called into a small town to find the body of a missing (presumed dead) teenage boy, she instead uncovers a mass grave and mentally witnesses the torture and abuse of the 8 buried boys. Deeply shaken, Harper is unprepared for the attack that occurs, and can only assume it was the serial killer angry that she had ruined his fun. Now Harper is forced to stick around as she recovers from her injuries, and becomes a part of the investigation.

*** spoiler alert *** There is certainly far more romance in this book as Harper finally admits her feelings for an important man in her life. Despite the lack of surprise surrounding this new relationship, there is still plenty of mystery and tension to the plot as Harper hunts a serial killer. Each book centres around tragic events, but AICG contains some of the saddest and moving scenes so far. Lastly every book in this series has surprised me with an unexpected ending, and AICG is no exception.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't hold a candle to Sookie, 24 May 2011
This review is from: An Ice Cold Grave (Paperback)
This is a series of books about Harper Conolly, who was a normal girl before she got hit by lightening. After the lightening strike she found she had the ability to feel dead people. Now she makes her living travelling around the country with her step-brother Tolliver, using her ability to find missing loved ones. Each book is a self-contained story of their adventures, though there are recurring characters and continuation, which means these are not stand-alone books.

I decided to try this series as I enjoyed the True Blood series so much. It provides the same kind of easy read and silly escapism as True Blood, but that's where the similarity ends. I'm sorry to say that this series is a lightweight in comparison. All the books feel rushed, the attempts at mystery, intrigue and drama are sometimes predictable and dull, other times laughable. Harper is nowhere near as charming and spunky as Sookie, and the rest of the cast is narrower, less colourful, less interesting.

Having said this, the concept is original, there is a tantalising theme of forbidden love, and it doesn't pretend to be anything it's not - a cheap and cheerful fantasy. Despite all my negative comments I read the whole series without any difficulty. It might be an unfair to compare the Harper series to a hum-dinger like True Blood but it felt unavoidable. And therefore disappointment was inevitable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cold shoulder to this venture..., 17 Dec 2013
Janarchy "Jacquie" (Blackpool Lancashire) - See all my reviews
It's not that it isn't True Blood - with the ever so lack lustre ending - but this just feels like an also ran .. a good idea which does not quite work out and that's down to the characterisations. Don't feel engaged or remotely entertained.

5.0 out of 5 stars original, 11 Nov 2013
Cloggie Downunder (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: An Ice Cold Grave (Paperback)
An Ice Cold Grave is the third book in the Harper Connelly series by American author, Charlaine Harris. Harper's latest assignment is a law enforcement invitation by Sandra Rockwell, sheriff of Doraville, in Knott County, South Carolina in the middle of winter. The Sheriff is grasping at straws trying to find six boys gone missing over the last five years. Harper finds them all, and two more: a serial killer's icy graveyard. But before she and Tolliver can depart the town, someone attacks her, landing her in hospital. Psychic Xylda Bernardo and her grandson Manfred (see Grave Surprise) turn up to help, but land in their own hot water. Eventually a serial killer is arrested (but not before another boy dies) so the townspeople can rest easy. Or can they? This instalment features murder , suicide, a lake cottage, power cuts, an ice storm, an underground chamber, quick-thinking neighbours, quite a lot of hospital visits, several suspects, a red herring or two and an exciting climax. Guns, knives and shovels are used as weapons. Harris has created a series with likeable characters and an original plot. The relationship between Harper and Tolliver takes a turn and readers will look forward to the final book in the series, Grave Secret.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 13 Aug 2013
J. Gascoyne (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Ice Cold Grave (Paperback)
I think this series is better than the Sookie Stackhouse series, I am gripped from cover to cover and each one gets better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one in the series so far, 11 July 2013
This review is from: An Ice Cold Grave (Paperback)
This review was originally posted at: [...]

"But men are less used to the idea of being raped than women are, and it strikes them with a fresh horror. With women, that horror comes right along with the female genitals."
Harper Connelly, An Ice Cold Grave by Charlaine Harris

The Harper Connelly Mysteries just keep getting better. The main over-arching storyline is the same throughout the first three of the books in this series; Harper is called in to find a missing dead body/identify the cause of death, Harper is attacked, Harper figures out who the murderer is and the book ends with some sort of show down. Yet for some reason, it doesn't feel like I'm rereading the same book with a slightly different mystery to solve. I don't know why because I would usually be frustrated with such high levels of predictability. I guess it boils down to the mysteries being so enthralling and well done that it doesn't matter that a few plot points are inevitably the same

In An Ice Cold Grave, Harper and Tolliver visit Doraville, a small town in South Carolina. Over a few years, six boys have disappeared. They were all believed by the Sheriff to be runaways or suicides, despite a few of the boys' cars being abandoned with all their possessions inside, or a backpack/cell phone/hat being found. There is a new Sheriff in town now, and she believes they have been murdered. The town pull together and pay Harper to find the bodies. Harper is taken to several locations where items have been found. This leads Harper to locate eight bodies, yes eight. Soon after, Harper is attacked which leaves her in hospital, lucky to be alive! Will Harper survive long enough to get out of Doraville? The only way might be for Harper to play detective and solve the mystery.

With the Harper Connelly Mysteries, I always sort of figure out `whodunnit'. In the first book, Grave Sight, I figured out who the murderer was and the motive fairly early on, but I was in constant doubt. In the second book, Grave Surprise, I had stronger suspicions from about the half-way point, but I couldn't fathom the motive. In the third book, An Ice Cold Grave, the motive was obvious. The person responsible was more difficult to figure out. I got part of it, but the other part was a surprise. I like having to figure out the mystery, but I don't like to read mysteries where the answer is obvious. I also like that if you had been paying close attention, you could have spotted the murderer through something they said. I didn't spot it until I was told, but I went back and sure enough, it's there.

The romance between Harper and Tolliver finally comes out. It has been very obvious, sometimes a little painfully obvious in places. I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I think they are well suited and I wanted Harper to say something. Plus, they aren't biologically related. On the other hand, they call each other brother and sister, which is weird. Harper tries to abstain from the habit, but at least in this book, she doesn't succeed. I think that's the part that weird's me out. That she still thinks of him as a brother, and yet not a brother. You'll have to read it to understand what I mean. On the whole, I think its fine because while they grew up together, it's the same as growing up with a close friend from childhood. I just wish Harris wouldn't mention the fact that they aren't biologically related so often. I was a tad surprised at the level of detail that Harris includes about Harper and Tolliver's relationship. While I should have expected this after reading the True Blood series, which all contain graphic physical scenes, the tone of this book was so different that it threw me.

The showdown at the end of An Ice Cold Grave is the best yet. There were points when I really wasn't sure that Harper was going to make it. The only thing that kept me sure was the knowledge of a fourth book in the series, Grave Secret. This showdown was particularly brutal and I admire how Harper handled it. She continued to fight for her life and almost died trying to warn someone she endangered.

Final Verdict: If you enjoyed books one and two in the series, definitely read this book. You don't have to have read the previous two books in order to enjoy this one either, so if you like to read books that have serial killers then you'll enjoy this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

An Ice Cold Grave
An Ice Cold Grave by Charlaine Harris (Paperback - 9 Oct 2008)
6.39