5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read!
The Silent Land
Zoe and Jake are on a skiing holiday and survive an avalanche whilst out on the slopes. When they emerge from the snow, the resort is completely deserted....
I started reading The Silent Land just as the first thick blanket of snow fell here which felt weirdly like the story was seeping into real life! But the writing is so good that even if it...
Published on 29 Nov. 2010 by Kim Slater

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much more.
The Silent Land gets a straight up three for the premise and the premise alone.

Having thought about it, this would have been much better served as a short story. As it was there was simply too much padding throughout and pages and pages of the main characters performing the most mundane of tasks, which were in no shape or form even necessary to the plot...
Published on 30 Mar. 2013 by Burning Amnesia

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst books I've ever read, 10 May 2013
This review is from: The Silent Land (Paperback)
I saw this book on amazon a while again and was really looking forward to reading it, but I was so disappointed when I finally got round to reading it. Going from other reviews on here I formed a very wrong opinion of the book and imagined it to be so much better. The theory and concept of the novel is good, but the execution was dire, the writing, development of character and dialogue were terrible, I've never been so bored reading a book. After the first couple of chapters I decided to keep on going with the hope that it'd get better, I was wrong, if anything it got worse. The standard of writing was so simplistic and basic and resembled more like a poorly written childrens book, with absolutely no investment in quality and certainly didn't reflect the writing background tha the author appears to have. I had two other novels by this author in my wish list, since reading this novel they have been removed. I'm very sorry about this review but when you build yourself up and look forward to actually reading something so promising only to have it shattered, you can't help feel disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slush not fresh powder snow, 23 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Silent Land (Paperback)
Bland and predictable, a real disappointment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing ..., 28 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Silent Land (Paperback)
I was really disappointed in this book. The premise is good, but the book is just so badly written that if I'd tried to read it in more than one sitting then I probably would have put the book down and never picked it up again.

The main problem is with the dialogue - Joyce really can't write convincing dialogue and anything that the characters say is so stilted and cliched that it detracts from the flow of the story. His characters use really odd mid-Atlantic turns of speech that had me wondering for ages whether they were supposed to be British or American,. The dialogue is also weirdly old-fashioned - almost like someone trying to be 'cool' and failing miserably - and the novel (apart from the clunky, biologically graphic but totally un-erotic sex scenes) reads like something hastily written for the young-adult market. Another thing I hated was the language that the characters used towards each other. They're supposed to be a couple who are deeply in love but I honestly spent the first couple of chapters wondering if the novel was going to turn into a story about an abusive relationship. The tone of the dialogue is totally misjudged - what's supposed to be 'banter' between a young couple turns into something that's actually a bit disturbing.

It's frustrating as there are one or two really well-written chapters and you just feel that this story could have been so much more than it is. Parts of the sub-plot are underdeveloped and the ending could have had so much more impact than it did. All in all, a frustrating and disappointing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional and soul searching., 12 Nov. 2011
Martin Belcher (Hampshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Silent Land (Hardcover)
Jake and Zoe, two people deeply in love are on a skiing holiday in the beautiful village of Saint Bernard en Haut in the French Pyrenees, whilst up on the ski slopes they both get caught in a huge avalanche which buries Zoe alive. She manages after a few minutes to wiggle herself free and finally escapes from her snowbound cocoon to be reunited with Jake who mysteriously also survived the avalanche. They are both shaken by their ordeal and make their way back down to the village but find themselves utterly alone in a world where time seems to have slowed or stopped but they both seem alive and well. Telephone lines ring and no one answers, TV and Radio are nothing but empty static, it is as if the whole world has disappeared in a flash! Over the next few days they live in their hotel eating food from the kitchens and exploring the village. They then try to escape the village by skiing over the mountain but frustratingly every time they try they find themselves back in the same place. Zoe begins to see strange figures outside their hotel and witnesses people arriving and then disappearing which Jake cannot see at all...

I absolutely loved this book, some of the paragraphs read like poetry, so beautiful and descriptive. It keeps you guessing right up to the very end with a very emotional ending which will live with me for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anything but a silent land..., 11 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Silent Land (Hardcover)
I have never read anything before by Graham Joyce and I feel like I've discovered a new author. What a fantastic read. I purchased this book for our march book club read and I'm so glad my friend and fellow book club member choose it-other wise I would never ever have purchased it. Don't want to give the plot away or add in any spoilers just that its a thriller, love story, page turner all the way through. Its a beautiful quick easy read (I finshed it on a 9hour flight!) and its one of the best books I've read this year. Its one of those that I'm now telling everyone about so that hopefully word of mouth will make it as popular as the novel one day has become. What ever genre your in to this book will suit all age groups, tastes and both sexes. Please do purchase it you won't be disapppointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb read, 7 July 2011
Mark West (Kettering, Northants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Silent Land (Hardcover)
Zoe & Jake are caught in an avalanche, whilst on a ski-ing holiday in the French Pyrenees. Managing to dig themselves out, they head back to their hotel, only to find it and the village deserted, though the power is still on. They try to leave the town but every road they take brings them straight back to where they started. And then Zoe starts to see other people. This is a fantastic book, no doubt about it, told in a brisk, easy style that hides the cumulative force being built up over the pages. The characters - we only really get to see Zoe & Jake - are well-drawn (though I could have done with some more "he said, she said" in places) and completely believable and when they have interaction with their fathers, the sequences are incredibly powerful. A ghost story that isn't really about ghosts, this examines love and what it means to both you and the people around you and the ending, I'm not ashamed to say, brought a tear to my eye. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Silent Land (Hardcover)
I loved this, beautiful prose and poignant from the start.

The characters and the relationship between Jake and Zoe is nicely crafted and you get a sense of their loneliness as they make sense of the situation they find themselves. As things start to change and the reasoning they applied to their situation doesn't seem to quite fit any more I did guess why...though desperately hoping I was wrong!

I shed tears at the end of this and I never ever cry at books or movies!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have ever read, 1 Mar. 2011
V. Oxley (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Silent Land (Hardcover)
I couldn't put this book down, one of the best I have read. I was left wanting more, it is always bringing you to the edge and then back again, fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A SUPERB ATMOSPHERIC READ, 28 Dec. 2011
Alan J. Crowley (Binley, Coventry) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Silent Land (Kindle Edition)
I review few books, and those that I do review tend to be duffers or great reads. This is definitely a great read.
A good, simple flowing story-line; very well written characters, Zoe especially. The author's descriptive prose is excellent, and brought the alpine settings to life.
The ending is a dead give-away, especially if you read the poem at the start, from where the title is drawn. It is still a great read, and I recommend it with no reservations.

5.0 out of 5 stars The silent land, 22 April 2012
This review is from: The Silent Land (Kindle Edition)
I purchased this book on a whim and im so glad I did. This book is awe inspiring to people who take our world for granted. There are 2 people in this book that seem to me who want to make everything ok .From there darkest secrets to there hidden desires. Really made me stay up all night and read it

The Silent Land
The Silent Land by Graham Joyce (Paperback - 10 Nov. 2011)