4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but a very good read
Pushing Ice isn't perfect, but it doesn't deserve some of the very negative reviews it has received (one talks about FTL travel which doesn't appear anywhere in the novel other than as speculation during conversation - so they haven't read it that carefully).
This is a novel of big ideas occurring over cosmic timescales. For me it successfully...
Published on 3 Jan. 2006 by Dave Box

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you look for
I think this is a book of two halves. The first promises to build and explore relationships between characters. The second spends a lot of time exploring a new and alien environment. Sadly this is perhaps why the book doesn't work as a whole, although it is still worth a read.

Where the character relationships in a new environment might have been explored in...
Published on 16 May 2007 by Craig

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading Nice, 22 Feb. 2006
This is a great novel. Much as I enjoyed the previous Century Rain book, I couldn't help missing the Revelation Space Universe but with Pushing Ice Alastair Reynolds has created a whole new universe for us to fall in love with. A universe which is dangerous, exciting, cruel and vast. In short, a space opera big enough to live in. This book rules and should be your guide on how you judge reviewers. If they don't like this book, they have no taste and you can safely throw their opinions out of the nearest airlock.

2.0 out of 5 stars Been done better by others, 12 Aug. 2007
A strange palnetoid is leaving the solar system with only a ort mining ship in range to scan it before it leaves for good. The book develops the story in a series of episodes with the story quality veering between good and bad. The bad episodes consists entirely of the conflict between the leaders of two groups within the miners. Unfortunately this conflict is unrealistic because these leaders lack personality, charisma or any feature that would distinguish them as a leader.

As another reviewer writes read Rendezvous with Rama its far superior

4.0 out of 5 stars Read something similar before, 26 July 2007
Mr. Scott Gilbert (Doncaster (England)) - See all my reviews
Reminds me of Arthur C Clark - Rendezvous With Rama

Read Rendezvous With Rama as this is a better book

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Hard Science Fiction, 20 Nov. 2007
Pushing Ice, by Alastair Reynolds

Having previously read a couple of Reynolds' books, I gave this one a try and I'm glad I did. As I may have happened to mention before, I like hard Science Fiction and this Space Opera does not disappoint. This is Science Fiction on a Grand Scale (well, fairly grand anyway).

I have no idea why but I couldn't help thinking of Captain Janeway every time one of the books main character, Bella Lind, showed her face. I felt that Bella's rival, Svetlana, wouldn't have lasted more than a couple of weeks in charge with her hysterics, histrionics and, dare I say it; bitchyness. I couldn't help feeling that; hell hath no fury like a woman FULL STOP!

Talk about bitchy. Anyway, it only goes to show that we men will always have a lot to learn when it comes to women and that perhaps they really are from Venus. Often in SF book reviews the reviewer will prattle on at length about how the characters "were wooden" or "didn't feel real" and so on. Well, I have to tell them; none of it's real! It's Science Fiction; it can't be real. I personally don't read this stuff for characterisations and poncey stuff like that. I read it for escapism; to be taken to alien worlds and be introduced to different kinds of life and exotic science. That's what I got from this book and I'm not the slightest bit bothered whether some of the people who inhabit these fantasy landscapes are a little bit wooden, or even cardboard cutouts.

All that really matters is that there is a good plot that tells an interesting and exciting, believable story. This book does just that, with knobs on.

The book is a little slow at times and I found myself cheating by reading ahead on more than one occasion; for example, it seemed to take an age for the expedition to reach its goal and I'd've preferred the first half of the story to have been whittled down somewhat. But then again, that's more than likely just me being impatient and displaying my dislike of narrative and minutia.

However, it was almost impossible to put the book down, especially when I got to the last third of it and there are a few unexpected twists. The scale and scope are awesome.

This is a ripping good yarn and I strongly recommend it. Thank you Mr Reynolds, Eight out of ten. I do hope there's a sequel.

japhid

1.0 out of 5 stars A giant leap backwards..., 21 Nov. 2005
I shall not be buying any more of his humongous tomes. This latest effort made “Neighbours” seem action-packed and fast-moving.
There were some interesting ideas regarding alternative methods of FTL travel, which Reynolds’ astrophysics background probably helped to furnish, but apart from that it was…dull.
Absolutely nothing of note happened during huge swathes of the book. The fun, what there was of it, started so close to the end of the book I’d lost the will to live, let alone be all geed up and excited at the prospect of a finale.
Maybe he was trying to go low-key. Maybe he was bored. Even the largely disappointing “Algebraist” had some great twists and turns along the way. “Pushing Ice” had nothing. No suspense, twists, action, romance, philosophy, double-crosses, reveals or even particularly humourous or entertaining characters.
Not recommended. Thumbs and other opposable limbs down.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 21 Jan. 2006
Reynold's previous books of massive scope are absolutely world class. It is hard to believe that "Pushing Ice" is written by the same author. Story line is extremely thin and the main characters so two dimensional that you almost feel the author is humiliating the readers on purpose.
Do not waste your time on this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous stuff, 15 Nov. 2006
Mr. P. D. Mckee "paulmckee" (Emsworth, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Alastair Reynolds has done it again! While working within the realms of believable Physics (at least as we understand today), he has woven a brilliant web of intrigue, emotion and conflict. You can almost picture yourself in the various scenarios.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last!, 14 April 2006
J. Kenny "Jason Kenny" (Adlington, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
After last years slightly strange but enjoyable 'Century Rain' a great return to form for Alistair!

I hugely enjoyed this and can't wait for the collection of short stories later this year!

5.0 out of 5 stars To boldly go., 14 Feb. 2006
I've read all Alistair Reynolds Bookss and rate him as one of "Hard" Sci-Fi's best writers. This book Had me reading well into the night. I'm sure there are plenty of sequels to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 5 Nov. 2005
Per (Zürich, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
Met all expectations, once again a masterpiece by Alastair Reynolds. If you enjoyed his previous books you will like this one too.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

Pushing Ice
Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds (Paperback - 11 Dec. 2008)