4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive first collection of supernatural stories
'20th Century Ghosts' is the first collection of short stories by the young American writer Joe Hill. I came to it after reading his second book, and first novel, 'Heart-Shaped Box', which I thought was a competent piece of genre fiction but rather underwhelming. This collection of stories is better.

There are nods in the direction of Stephen King, Kafka and...
Published on 8 May 2012 by Paul Bowes

3.0 out of 5 stars Not As Good As His Dad
Not up to his dad's standards. He probably uses a pseudonym to avoid bring compared to his dad but being a huge Stephen King fan I can't help it. I enjoyed Joe Hill's novels better than this collection of short stories.
Published 5 months ago by Joanne Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Great storyteller!, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: 20th Century Ghosts (Paperback)
This is a collection of a bunch of wonderful short stories that are scary, thoughtful and some are quite moving. I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Bag, 6 Feb. 2014
I wasn't sure what to expect but knew that Joe Hill would deliver some quirky stories - and he did. Most enjoyable!

5.0 out of 5 stars The ant's go marching two by two! Hurrah!, 7 Dec. 2008
Geek girl (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 20th Century Ghosts (Hardcover)
Although this book wasn't as good as heart shaped box it's still pretty good. I especially enjoyed my father's mask (the playing card people!!) and the last story in the book, I read it on a coach journey back to Manchester on Halloween and it really creeped me out. Not all of the storys are brillient, but none of them are truly terrible. They are how ever quite different to Stephen King's books but if you like his i'm sure you'll enjoy them :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 11 Jun. 2013
I have read another of joe hill 's books and to be honest, thought it was average, but this collection of short stories was fantastic! Well written and each story grabbed you as it's supposed to. Will be looking for his other work now :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Mar. 2015
Terrifying and brilliant!

3.0 out of 5 stars Stephen King Clone, 11 Nov. 2010
This review is from: 20th Century Ghosts (Paperback)
How wonderfully written this book is you cannot help but think about Stephen King. Joe has copied the childhood experience and repacked it for a new generation of reader. I am not biased I have read most of his dads books. Joe has used the same technique to fool the reader. Its very smoothly written and sweet at times. Good read over all though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Aug. 2014
Mr. Kenneth Otoole "Burnt Out Wreck" (Runcorn.U.K.) - See all my reviews
Great!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not do it for me ... in fact only got 3/4 thru as did not hold my interest, 19 July 2013
NOS4R2 was an excellent book that's why I tried 2oth century ghosts but not in same league and whereas I di not want to stop reading the previous I only plodded thru this book in fact am still not finished and proabaly just use it a filler inbetween other reading

1.0 out of 5 stars What was he thinking?, 25 Sept. 2012
N. rees (merthyr tydfil, m glam Great Britain) - See all my reviews
Joe Hill is a very good writer.Liked heart shaped box but didn't love it, loved horns though so forked out nearly a fiver for this.I read alot of short story collections, from the famous to the complete novice.I didn't like this, the only story i liked was about an inflatable boy! None of these storys are scarey or even interesting.Want my money back

1.0 out of 5 stars no - still don't get it...............!, 29 Nov. 2008
kermit 333 (England UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: 20th Century Ghosts (Paperback)
Having read "Heart Shaped Box" and not been impressed (see my review) I thought I'd better give 'ol Joe another go; after all Daddy is Stephen King so surely he has absorbed some writing ability from his pa, right? Wrong. I tried and tried to like him but to be perfectly honest he bored the pants off me again and I gave up! What "Pop Art" was trying to say is beyond me; maybe someone can enlighten me ??? will be interested to read others take on this one.

20th Century Ghosts
20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill (Paperback - 9 Oct. 2008)