5.0 out of 5 stars Terrifying!
This is an enchanting and terrifying tale of a nightmarish carnival that comes to the town where two boys live. The two 13 year old boys are best friends who were born just minutes apart from each other at Halloween time.

The boys are excited about the carnival but things soon take on a terrifying twist when they discover the dark secret behind the carrousel...
Published on 29 Oct 2006 by kehs

2.0 out of 5 stars Preview before buying.
Generally I'm a great fan of Ray Bradbury's works but not in this case. I tried my best to get into it but it failed to engage me. Perhaps it's just me but I wish I'd taken a look inside or downloaded a preview before buying it. So I'm sorry but only two stars for this one.
Published 12 months ago by George the Red

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite and my best..., 20 Sep 2010
This review is from: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Paperback)
One of my all-time favourite novels - even the thought of it sends shivers of pleasure down my spine, makes my scalp tingle and sends me off to my bookshelf in search of my fix of fine fiction.
It's creepy and strange and just damn great - buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Poetic Journey into Nightmares, 12 April 1999
By A Customer
If you have children who you wish to encourage to read, who have imagination and would enjoy getting scared by a book, then buy this masterpiece. Suitable for adults and children, it is a poetic and beautifully rich in imagery and themes. Essentially the story of a battle between good and evil, rebirth of the old and the hidden powers of belief, it follows the arrival of an evil circus in a mid-western USA town. Gothic horror seen through the eyes of two eleven year old boys, it still haunts me today. This is the book that started the last twenty years of voracious reading, and is the perfect book to give to your children after you've finished it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chilling but familiar sensations from all our childhoods, 30 Jun 2001
By A Customer
I read this book as a child ans was scared stiff by it. have now read it again and it is just as good, bringing back memories of being frightened by something we were not sure about. The descriptions of the wind, the witch in the fairground are wonderful. Especially haunting is the calliope ride which makes its passengers older or younger. The finale with the hot air balloon was brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the ultimate child hood adventure story?, 22 April 2002
By A Customer
For a long time I thought the most stirring story of innocence lost was Stephen King's 'The Body' from 'Different Seasons'. I came to that story through the excellent film adaption. It was the film of 'Something Wicked' (and Stephen King's further comments along with Ray Bradbury's in 'Danse Macabre') that finally led me to this book which I now consider perhaps may favourite of all time. How best to summerise and review it? The film version was good but, as is always the case, the book holds so much more. Ray Bradbury's style is so lyrical that at times it becomes more like poetry than prose. The scene in which the hero's aging father ponders his manhood in the small hours of the morning is amazing, perhaps the quietest most moving part of the book. For those of you who have enjoyed 'The Body' and 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and who like their stories to carry a spooky, supernatural theme, this is unmissable. Two boys find them selves embroiled in a secret battle against a sinister travelling carnival that can grant the deepest wishes of the towns folk, but at a terrible price. Read it at night if you must but keep your curtains closed and window locked, the Dust Witch may be abroad!

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining book, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Paperback)
Bought this after seeing a recommendation on the Guardian. I don't think Bradbury's style (at least in this book) is my cup of tea, but I rattled through it and it held my attention for the duration. If you think you might like it give it a go - I know several people who count this as one of their 'best books ever'. Glad I read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Carnival Comes To Town, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Paperback)
Saw this as a theatre production at Halloween several years ago. The novel is much more macabre, in an almost fairy-tale good-versus-evil sort of way.

It's set in a small town in America in the mid-twentieth century. A travelling carnival arrives unexpectedly during the night, close to the end of October, which is unusually late in the year for carnivals. The two heroes, fourteen-year-old boys and best friends Will and Jim, find out more and more about the carnival, and the dark secrets it holds - secrets which feed into the deep desires and temptations of humanity in general, and certain residents of the small town in particular. When they find their middle-aged school teacher Miss Foley crying in a park as a defenceless little girl, they realise the carnival's carousel can turn its riders older or younger.

The greatest temptations are laid onto Will's father, a well-read but aging janitor of the local library, and it comes down to him to find a way through. There are a grotesque range of freaks as their adversories, including the Dust Witch, the Skeleton Man, the Lava Sipper, Mr Electrico, and the head of the carnival, the Illustrated Man. (And he would definately have given me nightmares for a month when I was younger.)

I have to admit, I was genuinely creeped out by certain scenes.

It's written in a slightly stylised language that reminds me a bit of modern poetry, but the climatic points are excellent.

Did Bradbury ever write anything, even a short story, explaining what happened next to Miss Foley? She appears to be abandoned mid-novel, and we never hear about her again.

2.0 out of 5 stars This style of writing is not for me., 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to this book, but sadly i gave up after 40 pages.

It felt like the author was getting poetry and fiction mixed up, and i found that it hindered my reading.

I read a book a week on average by all sorts of authors, some well known some new ones. But this is the 1st book I've ever put down this quickly.

If you want excessive arty farty prose with a plethora of adjectives, then this book is for you.

If you want a riveting read where you're flying through the pages, avoid this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 13 Oct 2008
This review is from: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Paperback)
One of the great classics, the literature used in this novel is superb! I'm only half way through but i thought... Heck! I'll write one now!

SO yeah it's good, deffinately one of the top books of all time...

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 1 Aug 2014
good

3.0 out of 5 stars Covert Fear Factor, 13 Jun 2007
Mr. D. J. Read (Alnwick, Northumberland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
When you buy a book with successive 5 star reviews, you expect a decent read. Unfortunately, with Amazon, the only people prone to review are those who either love or detest a book. This novel has suffered from a brace of the former, and gives a false impression of this novel.

The story of a carnival coming to town, with rather dubious intent, the freaks who inhabit it, the carousel that turns back the years, and a claustrophobic mirror maze, are all intriguing in their own rights. This along with that Witch and Mr Dark should be the icing on the cake.

Yet I only give it 3 stars, why? Simple, the language is so convoluted, so pretentiously poetic that it takes away the enjoyment of the piece. Bradbury harks on in a singular style which is inaccesible, and gets bogged down in the father son relationship of the protagonist. And as for the ending....bizarre and ridiculous, it really detracts from the novel and leaves one with a kind of 'what on earth happened' feeling.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (Paperback - 21 Aug 2008)
Usually dispatched within 7 to 11 days